Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Charlton Nearly Signed

1235»

Comments

• Simonsen said:
    Wasnt there some Croatian guy on trial with us once? Ivica Olic or something like that? May have played at Welling?
    Really?! He was a superb player! Saw him quite a bit for Hamburg. Never stopped running. Over 100 Croatian caps and also played for Bayern Munich. 
    @Simonsen

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/charlton-target-croatian-6959101.html
    Bloody hell.....we sure missed out there. Charlton fans would've loved his attitude. He never ever gave up. In fairness, at that point in time he wasn't the finished article so might not have been what we needed. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Didn't we miss out on Jimmy Bullard, I assume it was when he went to Fulham because he wouldn't sign because he didn't know who the manager was?

I assume it was between Curbs saying he was going and Dowie being announced. 

Might be in Curbs' book, but he's definitely talked about it in a podcast.  He stated he had a deal for both Sidwell and Bullard in the bag.  I think he was going to pay a smallish fee for Sidwell mid-season to avoid missing out on him when he would be going Bosman end of season.  Murray rejected the transfers due to budget.

It comes across as if it was a minor factor of him wanting to terminate early, as he didn't want to rebuild the side again within constraints of his contract and budget.  Curbs said he was very surprised at the outlay Dowie and Murray made, as it was way past the projected budget.  To be fair to Murray the new Sky contract negotiated at the time, to come in in 2008 I think, was a large increase:  Though they must have known TV income was about to massively bump.  Instead we got the atrocious Amdy Faye and Zheng Zhi the next season.  You also have to remember in mid-season 2006 Curbs insisted Murray had to sign an utter carthorse in Prem terms - Marcus Bent.
  • Darren Purse.......lost track of the number of times as a matter of fact. LOL.
    If only I had a quid for every time I've heard we've been linked with him.
    You’d be very sound.
  • edited February 2021
    Ross said:
    Wasn’t there two players on deadline day 2012 we nearly signed? Jason shackell and Keith andrews I think?
    Dean Hammond was one. Apparently we had the press release ready to go and everything
    That summer Powell also wanted Alan Judge and Sam Baldock.
    I remember hearing that his main targets at the start of the season were Hammond, Sone Aluko, Yannick Bolasie, Jason Shackell as mentioned above and Stephen Quinn. Every single one of Powell's top targets went on to get promoted to the Premier League with different teams that season or the next (Hull, Leciester, Burnley, Nigels). Instead we got Jordan Cook, Salim Kerkar and Lawrie Wilson and still finished 3 points off the playoffs. I think all those players Powell wanted together ended up going to their clubs for only around £2m in transfer fees total. I know that the Jimenez con wasn't a good thing, but if he'd managed to string Cash along for another year we seriously could have gone straight up to the Premier League. I'm sure we would have paid for it after that with the spivs in charge and it can never not be a good thing that they were found out, but with our momentum off the back of that L1 season we really were in a position to do something special with a little bit of investment. We might never get as good an opportunity again.
  • Darren Purse.......on several occasions by all accounts.🙄
  • Really, never heard that before.
  • edited February 2021
    Can anyone confirm if this is true

I remember when I was younger I was devastated when Chelsea took Parker from us for 10 million. I remember reading though that we were offered by Chelsea instead of 10 million Joe Cole and a fee between 4-6 million, I think this was before had his real stand out game Vs Norwich.

Anyone got any clue on that? If that was the case my word 

Reading this thread makes me hope Thomas can get us in a position to sign talents again or be linked 
  • Can anyone confirm if this is true

I remember when I was younger I was devastated when Chelsea took Parker from us for 10 million. I remember reading though that we were offered by Chelsea instead of 10 million Joe Cole and a fee between 4-6 million, I think this was before had his real stand out game Vs Norwich.

Reading this thread makes me hope Thomas can get us in a position to sign talents again or be linked 
    Wasnt it Carlton Cole?

Wasnt it Carlton Cole?
    That would make a lot more sense, always thought Joe Cole would have been worth a lot more.

10 mill probably the better option then
  • Sponsored links:

Wasnt it Carlton Cole?
    Wasn’t Carlton Cole offered on loan for another year but he went to villa instead?

Wasnt it Carlton Cole?
    Wasn’t Carlton Cole offered on loan for another year but he went to villa instead?
    Carlton Cole was initially signed on a two year loan deal

He rejected the second year though and went back to Chelsea (and then on elsewhere) - Cant remember if Chelsea gave us no one else as a result or whether that's why we signed Smertin on loan in his place

Wasnt it Carlton Cole?

He rejected the second year though and went back to Chelsea (and then on elsewhere) - Cant remember if Chelsea gave us no one else as a result or whether that's why we signed Smertin on loan in his place
    Cole refused to come back for the second year, ended up at Villa.  Chelsea ended up paying an extra sod all and Murray went on another "never again" speach. 

Wasnt it Carlton Cole?

That’s it, I knew something happened with Cole and he ended up at villa. 

So chelae have loaned as Cole, sneering and Gallagher and recalled them all to move them on elsewhere
  • Remember a game where Cole came on as sub and was then subbed later in the game, heard a loud 'whaaaat' from Cole.
  • iaitch said:
    Remember a game where Cole came on as sub and was then subbed later in the game, heard a loud 'whaaaat' from Cole.
    That was last game of the season Vs Southampton I believe. 

Came on at half time, went off with maybe 10 to go?
  • Something like that.
  • Remember him coming back with Villa , think it was the game where Franny Jeffers scored twice. 
  • Me actually........they had a chance around 1963......their loss I’m afraid. 🤥🤥🤥