Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Charlton Nearly Signed

If this has been done before i apologise but i couldn't find it on the search button.
Off the top of my head i seem to remember:
Alessandro dos Santos - Japanese Midlfield player who was denied a work permit in 2001 who later on joined Urwa Red Diamonds in 2004 and is still there.
Kepa Blanco- Who joined West Ham on loan instead of Charlton is now at Getafe.
Steve Sidwell- When he rejected a contract extension at Reading we were strongly linked with him.
Jay Demerit- Don't know why he didn't join i was away in Tenerife but i heard that he nearly joined.

Any others?

Comments

• ketman - chelsea

flamini - arsenal
  • yep, Flamini, stole my thunder there.
  • Martin Laursen.

Mathieu Flamini agreed to sign for Curbs before Arsenal stepped in.

Jimmy Seed nearly broke the world transfer record when he made an offer for Stanley Matthews.
  • Song - Relegation ruined that!
  • I've a feeling that Reading allowed us to discuss terms with Steve Sidwell, we agreed a transfer with them but Sidwell chose to play out the next season for Reading and then leave on a Bosman.
  • Bosman - when he was still a player

Portillo
  • There's also Tim Cahill, then at Millwall now at Everton and Alex the Brazilian/Japanese player.
  • knew we were one of the first to scout ronaldo and queresma
  • Legend has it we nearly signed Alex Ferguson about 1970 when he was playing for Rangers. We were in for Rowett two years before we got him, when he was still fit, and Don Hutchison at the same time. Would have been two good 'uns at the time IMO.
    Lennie Lawrence was linked with a striker called Mats Magnusson for years, Curbs seemed to be after Jamie Scowcroft for the same length
    of time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Alex Ferguson from Rangers for a reported bid of£100K in 1969
  • Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson from Hibs. The former, now at Celtic, has just won Scottish Player of the Year...
  • Stephen presley
  • Andreas Isaksson- Man City stole him from us at the last minute
  • Ricardo Fuller, had him on trial but his injury problems meant it never happened.
  • edited May 2009
    Richard Gough was youth team player at one point. Does that count?

Jermaine (Spit) Defoe
  • John Aloisi - coventry
    Alex - the japanese brazilian
  • You're all forgetting the most famous of them all...........Stanley Matthews!
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]You're all forgetting the most famous of them all...........Stanley Matthews!

Ahem...
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Martin Laursen.

Jimmy Seed nearly broke the world transfer record when he made an offer for Stanley Matthews.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Ricardo Fuller, had him on trial but his injury problems meant it never happened.[/quote]

We paid for his back operation and recuperation, he was supposed to take over the void left by Defoe.

Robert Green
    Garry Breen
    Bollano - Played in the friendly v New Zealand and was listed in the handbook as a player, before his work permit was turned down.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]You're all forgetting the most famous of them all...........Stanley Matthews!

Ahem...
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Martin Laursen.

Oh sorry...missed it....but it is worth mentioning twice. LOL!
  • Let Matt Elliot go as a lad didn't we?
  • Kenneth Wegner. Who remembers that one?
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Kenneth Wegner. Who remembers that one?

Who?
  • img44327.jpg

Kenneth Wegner
  • Darren Purse.......lost track of the number of times as a matter of fact. LOL.
    If only I had a quid for every time I've heard we've been linked with him.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]img44327.jpg

Kenneth Wegner

Well he 'looks' good Adam.......but who the feck is he?
  • could be a summer target again for us this year as Cardiff want rid. and well the wrong side of 30 now, would do a job in league for sure.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Well he 'looks' good Adam.......but who the feck is he?

this link should clear it up Soundy:

http://www.hb.dk/1/10272/11283/27120/kenneth-wegner.html
  • Oliver Bierhoff and Darren Huckerby. Hayden Mullins got linked with us a fair few times during Pardew's reign.