Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Charlton Nearly Signed

Comments

• I remember a transfer saga with Julian Gray lasting about 400 years and then never resolving. I think he played for us in pre-season games and there was a scrap over compensation to Palace and in the end he went to Birmingham
  • Joey Barton
  • Didn't we turn down the chance to sign an ageing Rivaldo?
  • Evening Standard said that we had signed Clive Allen. Picked up the paper next morning and found out he had gone to Millwall!
    We missed out on Jon Steed and signed Darren Bent instead. That was a bummer.
  • I think James Milner was shown around after Parker left.
  • and of course Scott Brown
  • Ruben Bagger from Denmark. Danny Griffin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ferryman said:
    I think James Milner was shown around after Parker left.
    No, but Carrick was on transfer deadline day.
  • My Norwich pal is very fond of reminding me that we once missed signing Wes Hoolahan (who then signed for the Canaries instead and became a club legend) because we went for Stuart Fleetwood instead...
      I remember Wes Hoolahan signing for them and being shit and they got relegated to L1.  They were looking to offload him and the Gillingham manager enquired about him.  When Stimson was informed of his wages he couldn't believe it and said something like his wages would cover 3/4's of his squad's:  From memory it was 12-14 grand a week.

We probably could have signed him from Livingston, but the season after Hudson took all our wages.  Considering how shit our midfield was in those dog days of Champ and L1 he really missed a potentially career ending move.  Lambert took over at Norwich and Wes had a deserved stellar career.
  • Remember Javier Saviola being linked on Ceefax once
  • Emile Heskey rumours were circulating I think at one point
  • Remember seeing Alexei Mikhailichenko play for us in a pre-season friendly down at Wimbourne Town (if my memory is correct) in 1993.
  • Remember seeing Alexei Mikhailichenko play for us in a pre-season friendly down at Wimbourne Town (if my memory is correct) in 1993.
    I think I saw him play for us in a pre season Valley friendly against Coventry. Now I'm typing it I'm immediately doubting it. Circa '96 perhaps.
  • edited February 2021
    Image result for delort

and his dad, obvs.
  • Can’t believe no one has mentioned Stanley Mathews.
    We came within a gnats cock of signing him......can’t remember now exactly why it didn’t come off, as if I remember rightly, a fee was agreed and Stanley himself was prepared to move.
    I think it was the Glikstein’s who eventually bottled out.....maybe someone can fill in the blanks?
    Am much too young so could very much be wrong but swear I read someone say that we opted out in the end because the Glikstein's thought he was too old?
    We came within a gnats cock of signing him......can’t remember now exactly why it didn’t come off, as if I remember rightly, a fee was agreed and Stanley himself was prepared to move.
    I think it was the Glikstein’s who eventually bottled out.....maybe someone can fill in the blanks?
    Am much too young so could very much be wrong but swear I read someone say that we opted out in the end because the Glikstein's thought he was too old?
    Not heard that before?
  • Sponsored links:

You did, 11 years ago (and somebody else did before that)  ;)
    Not heard that before?
    Actually you are correct.....Glikstein thought he was too old.
    We offered £13,000 for him which Stoke turned down, so I got that wrong as well!
    Not heard that before?
    Wasn't it in the summer of 1939
  • edited February 2021
    Rothko said:
    Joey Barton
    That would have been a very un- Curbs signing (presuming it was under his tenure)
  • John White agreed to join us from Falkirk  and then Spurs gazumped us. 
  • Rothko said:
    Joey Barton
    That would have been a very un- Curbs signing (presuming it was under his tenure)
    No less so than Andy Todd and what a player he was. 
  • Didn't we turn down the chance to sign an ageing Rivaldo?
    think this was romario? I seem to remember something about a video of his goals being sent to Curbs / The Valley 
  • Alexei Mikhailichenko

Nicola Berti
  • Ferryman said:
    Ruben Bagger from Denmark. Danny Griffin.
    Ruben Bagger? Hadn’t heard of that rumour. One club player (Brondby (‘93 - ‘07).
  • If this has been done before i apologise but i couldn't find it on the search button.
    Off the top of my head i seem to remember:
    Alessandro dos Santos - Japanese Midlfield player who was denied a work permit in 2001 who later on joined Urwa Red Diamonds in 2004 and is still there.
    Kepa Blanco- Who joined West Ham on loan instead of Charlton is now at Getafe.
    Steve Sidwell- When he rejected a contract extension at Reading we were strongly linked with him.
    Jay Demerit- Don't know why he didn't join i was away in Tenerife but i heard that he nearly joined.

Any others?
    Read this and could not believe that Santos was still at the same club 17 years later.  Then saw the date!