Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Charlton Nearly Signed

Comments

• Jeremy Goss, Ronaldo (Inter Milan)
  • And Chris Makin/Malkin from Millwall. Think he failed a medical and we signed Bradlee Allen instead. John Hartson also failed a medical with us.
  • For those interested, here is the translation of the page linked by adamtheaddick...

En forsvarsgeneral af klasse - en af Danmarksturneringens mest rutinerede spillere med stort overblik, skud i støvlerne og en kælen boldføling. Blev da også en naturlig anfører.
    A defensive general of class, one of the Denmark's Tournaments most experienced players with good awareness, shot and delicate touch. Also a natural leader.
    Kom ifølge sig selv til klubben da..."der er perspektiv i klubben, et godt hold, som kan nå langt, hvis man fortsætter det hårde arbejde som det kræver for at nå i Superligaen. Og fordi jeg vil spille fodbold hver weekend.
    Came of course to the club because ' there is perspective in the club, is a good team which can go a long way, if one continues the hard work that is required when we reach the super league. And because I want to play football every weekend.
    Man må sige, at han i den grad havde ret.
    One has to say that he, in this case, was right.

Fortsatte gerningen i klubben som direktør - havde for en fodboldspiller en, undskyld, ret omfattende uddannelse og derfor var koblingen perfekt til lederjobbet.
    Continued as a director in the club - as a footballer he had, apologies, a quite broad eductation so this suited him pefectly to the role of director.

I denne funktion gav han klubben et professionelt og synligt ansigt udad til, samtidig med at han qua sit navn og forbindelser trak flere vigtige spillere til klubben.
    In this role, he gave the club a proffesional and visible face while using his network tyo attract svereal important players to the club.
  • Joey Barton... Curbs was trying to get him from man city wasnt he.
  • James Beatttie was linked for ages with us when he was at Southampton. Wes Brown was another one when he was dithering on a contract, although I doubt he would have got more down here.
  • Anthony Gardner from Spurs is another one!
  • Niel Ruddock, Chris Howells during our one season stay in the prem.
  • Antti Niemi was on trial when he was at Hearts
    Didn't we have Ryan Nelsen (current Blackburn captain) on trial as well at some point?
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]James Beatttie was linked for ages with us when he was at Southampton.
    Rupert Lowe wouldn't sell him to us as he said Southampton were a much bigger club.

A far more recent one Ebanks-Blake, because Pardew reckoned he was overweight.
    And, Stephen Pressley - Celtic
  • GUDJOHNSSON from Bolton it was a done deal with Jensen £4m for the pair but then moneybags chelski offered another half a mil and he was theres!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• I seem to remember Michael Dawson was allegedly on the radar just before him and Reidy signed for Spurs.
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Terry Naylor[/cite]GUDJOHNSSON from Bolton it was a done deal with Jensen £4m for the pair but then moneybags chelski offered another half a mil and he was theres!!!

£4m for the pair? We paid £4m just for Jensen!
    A far more recent one Ebanks-Blake, because Pardew reckoned he was overweight.

Hadn't heard the bit about him being overweight before.
  • A thread started on Addickted the otherweek with the news stories for each player

http://www.addickted.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16353
  • Tony Cascarino, the story was that Millwall offered slightly more money, or was it slightly more corrugated iron?

Ian Wright - when he was at Greenwich Borough.
  • Emeke Ifijiagwa
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Tony Cascarino, the story was that Millwall offered slightly more money, or was it slightly more corrugated iron?

The story with Cascarino that always comes up is we could have had him for a set of tracksuits for the team he was playing for at the time, think it was Alma Swanley or Cray Wanderers.
    We were also linked with Sheringham later in his career, he was probably in his early sixties at the time.
  • [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Tony Cascarino, the story was that Millwall offered slightly more money, or was it slightly more corrugated iron?

The story with Cascarino that always comes up is we could have had him for a set of tracksuits for the team he was playing for at the time, think it was Alma Swanley or Cray Wanderers.
    We were also linked with Sheringham later in his career, he was probably in his early sixties at the time.

He was at Crockenhill BW before the tracksuit swap
  • Why would Flamini have ever signed for us? He'd just cemented his place at Marseille, been offered a long term contract and played in a Uefa cup Final. Curbishley would have been nowhere near him. Marseille or Charlton? I wonder who pays more and has a bigger budget.

Same with Kezman he came out in the press and said he wouldn't sign for a club with a lesser standing in Europe. It appears we may have bid for him but that's it.

Richard Dunne. I remember Nicky Forster truning us down in the second tier to go to third tier Brentford for more money, those were the days. Robert Green flipped quite rightly for West Ham.
  • kepa blanco
  • Kenneth Wegner was going to be our new Danish? centre back (in the days at Selhurst when foreigners didn't exist as far as Charlton were concerned). Roger Alwen even got as far as announcing that he was about to sign....and that was the last anyone ever heard of it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Martin Laursen.

Yep, listened to a podcast today, where he was being interviewed.
    When he left Milan in 2004, he wanted to play in England and it was between Villa and us.
    The offers were almost identical, but he chose Villa, as Thomas Sorensen (keeper) played for them.
    Also...he preferred Villa Park (thought it looked similar to Parken Stadium in Copenhagen).
  • Danepak said:
    Chizz said:
    Martin Laursen.

Yep, listened to a podcast today, where he was being interviewed.
    When he left Milan in 2004, he wanted to play in England and it was between Villa and us.
    The offers were almost identical, but he chose Villa, as Thomas Sorensen (keeper) played for them.
    Also...he preferred Villa Park (thought it looked similar to Parken Stadium in Copenhagen).
    I recall Curbs saying we chartered a private plane to sign him, but got outbid by Villa. 
    I know that Flaminis medical went through the books of our solicitors.  Brachers in Maidstone. 
  • Back in 68/69 season I believe we tried to sign George Graham from Arsenal which would have been some signing for us at the time.We just missed out on promotion that season.Oh what might have been had we gone up
  • Back in 68/69 season I believe we tried to sign George Graham from Arsenal which would have been some signing for us at the time.We just missed out on promotion that season.Oh what might have been had we gone up
    Relegation the following season? This is Charlton and it’s the Charlton way
  • My Norwich pal is very fond of reminding me that we once missed signing Wes Hoolahan (who then signed for the Canaries instead and became a club legend) because we went for Stuart Fleetwood instead...
  • Michael Carrick seemed to be linked a few times when he was at West Ham

Don Hutchinson chose Sunderland over us

Didnt we almost sign Matt Jarvis from Gillingham when we got relegated from the Premier League?
    Relegation the following season? This is Charlton and it’s the Charlton way
    May be we will never know.But the Valley would have regularly seen crowds of 30k plus.That I do know
  • Selling Lyle Taylor to Brentford and buying Toney from Peterborough doesn’t seem that much of bad a deal now as it felt back in 2019.
  • With a nod to the excellent Matt Tees thread who was sold and we were supposed to be signing John O'rourke from Ipswich, another Scottish centre forward as his replacement, but it never happened. 
    The team went from finishing 3rd from top to 3rd from bottom the very next season (2 up 2 down in those days).
    Digressing think we told Ray Treacy to WBA during the 3rd from bottom season but bought him back some time latter. Perhaps for a new thread on yo-yo players Mike Kenning was sold to Wolves and bought back some time later but not during the two aforementioned seasons.
  • edited February 2021
    Lars Jacobsen (right-back for Everton, Blackburn and Wet Spam) went to Sparrows Lane, but didn't impress Curbs enough and wasn't offered a contract.