Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Charlton Nearly Signed

Comments

• Rothko said:
    Joey Barton
    That would have been a very un- Curbs signing (presuming it was under his tenure)
    Yep, Richard Murray came out with it a Bromley event. City whacked up the price when the size of the Parker deal became apparent 
  • Didn't we turn down the chance to sign an ageing Rivaldo?
    think this was romario? I seem to remember something about a video of his goals being sent to Curbs / The Valley 
    All of them?  Including the goals he scored in the play ground (which he tried to claim) Curbs would still be watching them now!!! 
  • Nobby Solano was close I believe. Also have a vague memory of being gazumped by Liverpool for a striker in the mid 2000s
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Nobby Solano was close I believe. Also have a vague memory of being gazumped by Liverpool for a striker in the mid 2000s
    Was it Baros?  
  • It was. We were tipped in a Sunday paper then next day Liverpool were linked and I thought, well that didn’t last long 
  • edited February 2021
    I can’t believe this thread has resurfaced, I was literally thinking about a thread about what could have beens this week.

Reading back from the start,  I remember a lot of these rumours, if they’d have happened, would have had one heck of a side.

Still waiting for Bolanos to don a Charlton shirt!
  • edited February 2021
    Didn't we turn down the chance to sign an ageing Rivaldo?
    think this was romario? I seem to remember something about a video of his goals being sent to Curbs / The Valley 
    It was both... Romario was linked under Curbs, Rivaldo was in 2012

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/charlton-athletic/news/charlton-turn-down-rivaldo-switch_21113.html
  • Nicola Berti? Did he trial for us? 
  • Didn't we turn down the chance to sign an ageing Rivaldo?
    It was both... Romario was linked under Curbs, Rivaldo was in 2012

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/charlton-athletic/news/charlton-turn-down-rivaldo-switch_21113.html
    Wow!
  • Sponsored links:

• Kenneth Wegner. Roger Alwen said we'd signed him....and that was the last we heard of him.
  • Wasn’t there two players on deadline day 2012 we nearly signed? Jason shackell and Keith andrews I think?
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Nobby Solano was close I believe. Also have a vague memory of being gazumped by Liverpool for a striker in the mid 2000s
    I thought that was a ceefax error. Newcastle signed him in the build up to our game but ceefax got confused and said we signed him.
  • It’s probably been said but John Hartson. Remember reading the SLP and it being the back page lead that he was at the training ground. In the days before instant news on phones. 
    But he failed his medical. 
    Shame as think he’d have been brilliant for us. 

Oh and Steve Portway. 
  • Remembered another one. Weren’t we linked with an aging Gabriel Batistuta in the Prem days? 
  • Didn't we miss out on Jimmy Bullard, I assume it was when he went to Fulham because he wouldn't sign because he didn't know who the manager was?

I assume it was between Curbs saying he was going and Dowie being announced. 
  • Wasn’t there two players on deadline day 2012 we nearly signed? Jason shackell and Keith andrews I think?
    Dean Hammond was one. Apparently we had the press release ready to go and everything
  • I remember the summer we signed Rommedahl we were heavily linked to Mark Van Bommel joining with him. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Remembered another one. Weren’t we linked with an aging Gabriel Batistuta in the Prem days? 
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/charlton-no-to-batistuta-6352045.html%3famp
    Dean Hammond was one. Apparently we had the press release ready to go and everything
    That summer Powell also wanted Alan Judge and Sam Baldock.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasnt there some Croatian guy on trial with us once? Ivica Olic or something like that? May have played at Welling?
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I remember the summer we signed Rommedahl we were heavily linked to Mark Van Bommel joining with him. 
    Remember reading that in The Sun - same summer as the Kezman rumour wasnt it?
  • edited February 2021
    I can’t believe this thread has resurfaced, I was literally thinking about a thread about what could have beens this week.

Reading back from the start,  I remember a lot of these rumours, if they’d have happened, would have had one heck of a side.

Still waiting for Bolanos to don a Charlton shirt!
    Bolanos looked the tits in the game I saw him in at The Valley. He would have been a cult hero I have no doubt. Was gutted when that went wrong on work permit.

EDIT - Imagine him scoring the winner in big game.. last minute... and Tel and Greg roll this one out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6DRnxIVNdE
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I remember the summer we signed Rommedahl we were heavily linked to Mark Van Bommel joining with him. 
    Remember reading that in The Sun - same summer as the Kezman rumour wasnt it?
    Yeah same summer as Kezman. 
  • Wasnt there some Croatian guy on trial with us once? Ivica Olic or something like that? May have played at Welling?
    Really?! He was a superb player! Saw him quite a bit for Hamburg. Never stopped running. Over 100 Croatian caps and also played for Bayern Munich. 
  • Simonsen said:
    Nicola Berti? Did he trial for us? 

He was carrying quite a bit of timber. I remember someone shouting "Oi Berti, have a salad"
  • You're all forgetting the most famous of them all...........Stanley Matthews!
    Yes, good post.  I think it was around 1938/9  I think was snatch from under our noses, might have been Blackpool.
  • Simonsen said:
    Wasnt there some Croatian guy on trial with us once? Ivica Olic or something like that? May have played at Welling?
    Really?! He was a superb player! Saw him quite a bit for Hamburg. Never stopped running. Over 100 Croatian caps and also played for Bayern Munich. 
    @Simonsen

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/charlton-target-croatian-6959101.html
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    I thought that was a ceefax error. Newcastle signed him in the build up to our game but ceefax got confused and said we signed him.
    Bloody Ceefax!!  Wouldn’t have happened with Oracle. They knew everything!
  • Iain Harte had a trial towards the end of the Pardew era. Played a couple of reserve games.