Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Focus - tomorrow at 12.10pm

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Confirmation that there will be a piece on the demise (aka 'temporary low point') of our Club on Football Focus tomorrow. We understand that it will last around 4 minutes (the piece, not the demise).

As many of you will already know from the Paul Fletcher blog (see Henry's thread entitled 'What has gone wrong at Charlton - BBC Blog '), the programme will feature an interview with Alan Curbishley. The camera crew were also at the training ground yesterday morning, and we understand that Phil Parkinson was interviewed. Finally, three of the Fans' Forum representatives (Terry Hastings, Gavin Barrett and myself) were interviewed at The Valley yesterday afternoon.

Mark Bright fired some very direct questions at each of us (what's gone wrong? can Charlton avoid relegation?) and seemed very sympathetic to our plight. I think he is still a fan. He was also very upbeat about the mood he discovered at the training ground - lots of banter, good spirits etc. Not at all what he was expecting.

Anyway, look out for the programme. If Tel looks about six inches taller that Mark Bright, that's only because he was sitting on some high railings.

Comments

• Options
    Are things really that bad that football focus need to make a film about us? we aint down yet and recent signs are promising so would be nice to get focused on staying up. Who at the club agreed this? football focus ring up "we want to make a film a bout your impendind decline and path to oblituration" "Sure you can, what fee is on offer" FFS... we aint that doomed, stay up this term, whole sale cleen sweep int he summer foucus on youth and experiance and we will be fine, maybe get an outside investment and we can look up instead of down.
  • Options
    Quiet week, need to fill time using us.
  • Options
    Agree whole-heartedly with Adam. As i said on the blog piece, It seems very ill-timed.
  • Options
    Did they ask Gavin what he did with the Robin costume? We demand to know!
  • Options
    Why are people so intent on sticking the boot in from inside?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Are things really that bad that football focus need to make a film about us? we aint down yet and recent signs are promising so would be nice to get focused on staying up. Who at the club agreed this? football focus ring up "we want to make a film a bout your impendind decline and path to oblituration" "Sure you can, what fee is on offer" FFS... we aint that doomed, stay up this term, whole sale cleen sweep int he summer foucus on youth and experiance and we will be fine, maybe get an outside investment and we can look up instead of down.

I can't see what the problem is as long as it is a fair piece. Anyway, there is no such thing as bad publicity.
  • Options
    They've been profiling three clubs over last week this week and next week at the bottom of the champ considering they have dropped from the prem. its not just us, and it could have been inspired by Steve Waggotts programme article in the Cardiff/Plymouth programme - for those that read such things.

I hate the word demise, its as if we've already gone out of business. how about "temporary low point?"
  • Options
    Perhaps they sense or know something we do not!

The BBC would not normally pay a fee to Charlton for an interview.

As Dave Rudd has posted Mark Bright is 'sympathetic' IMO not his style to do a 'hatchett job '
    Probably, trying to find out a reason why Watford, Charlton and Southampton are struggling so much, perhaps he might have some answers besides the blinding obvious!
  • Options
    I didn't think the BBC knew football existed outside the Premiership.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    I hate the word demise, its as if we've already gone out of business.

I agree.

I also don't like the fact too many people appear to be critics rather than fans nowadays. Everyone is entitled to a moan every now and then, but sustained negativity is demoralising and achieves little.

Everyone should bne rallying in a positive manner at the moment. We're demanding it off coaches and players, but it need the fans to be fully behind it as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]I didn't think the BBC knew football existed outside the Premiership.

Well, they will do next season when they get the TV rights to the League.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram
    Everyone should bne rallying in a positive manner at the moment. We're demanding it off coaches and players, but it need the fans to be fully behind it as well.

Exactly the theme of the Fans' Forum communication to the Board, of which more news after next week's meeting (Thursday night) hopefully.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

I agree.

I also don't like the fact too many people appear to be critics rather than fans nowadays. Everyone is entitled to a moan every now and then, but sustained negativity is demoralising and achieves little.

oh i see! you want a ticket for the positivity bus with me and oggy now do ya!!
    we'll have to upgrade from a mini bus to a coach.

this site has been sustaining negativity for a while btw and isn't completely blame free. I'm glad you've seen the light and realise that it does achieve very little.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    no such thing as bad publicity Large??

telling however million watch just how much debt and bad shape were in?? and were odds on to drop another league?? why not Watford? Southampton? the saints were a premiere league team longer than we were, lazy journalisim in my book and could come back to bit us on the arse.. not gona look good for any would be interested party, why invest in a team who is going down the pan... as long as there is a sectiona bout how has a club no one will ever match us for over comming obsticles we are charlton.. we have over come more than any club will ever endure in my opinon.
  • Options
    Surely the fact they've interviewed Parkinson plus the 3 fans suggests it won't be an entirely negative piece?
  • Options

I agree.

But some people ONLY have negativity to offer. They positively enjoy wallowing in defeat and decline as it gives them even more to complain about.

What is worse is that they don't like to see anyone else taking the least crumb of comfort and then attack them. Sad really but its been that way from before Curbs went.

I remember someone on the mailing list complaining that the 99/2000 season was boring as we kept winning every week. What can you say to that?.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Why are people so intent on sticking the boot in from inside?

who is sticking the boot in ? People were asked to take part in a interview and did how is that sticking the boot in.
  • Options
    No Suzi, i haven't really changed my stance too much, i just feel that once everyone has had their say and the club knows where you stand it should be left at that.

The season is now entering its most crucial stage and everyone who represents or cares for club should be up for a battle. There is a time and a place for everything, and like i did not feel the morning of the Palace game as the right time for the FF to go public with their statement of intent, nor do i feel pieces 'on our demise' are ideal on the morning of our biggest six-pointer of the season.
  • Options
    Everyone should bne rallying in a positive manner at the moment. We're demanding it off coaches and players, but it need the fans to be fully behind it as well
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    Exactly the theme of the Fans' Forum communication to the Board, of which more news after next week's meeting (Thursday night) hopefully

Depends entirely as interpretation.

I certainly did not read it that way. To me it was demanding answers rather than 'rallying in a positive manner'. And again, ill-timed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]I didn't think the BBC knew football existed outside the Premiership.

Well, they will do next season when they get the TV rights to the League.
    Great news!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry Barts I don't see that it will make 1 bit of difference,the should be bigger than that,they have 1 job to do and that is pick 3 points up,i dont see how a football focus article will make any difference,it's another case IMO of them or anybody else being too bloody precious.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]oh i see! you want a ticket for the positivity bus with me and oggy now do ya!!
    we'll have to upgrade from a mini bus to a coach.

this site has been sustaining negativity for a while btw and isn't completely blame free. I'm glad you've seen the light and realise that it does achieve very little.

And me, I've got a Oyster card!

Negativity is fine if people use it as a spur for action and DO SOMETHING.

NB Moaning on internet message boards does not count as doing something.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    And me, I've got a Oyster card!

all over 60s do don't they?
  • Options
    I used to like you, Suzi
  • Options
    It is a great pity that Charlton did not take the initaitive and persuade the fans when they were approached by the media to try and talk to there fans.
    As others have posted the way out of this is to support the club, but to do that you have to understand the problems. Clear financial news by the club as well as regular dialogue with all the fans is essential otherwise you end up with speculation and assumptions. I have to say that some of the management decisions have to say the least been bizzare, from a club that was respected outside of the boardroom almost as a blueprint by lower league clubs.
    The club has made mistakes, acknowledge it and listen, and move on together, or move out!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Sorry Barts I don't see that it will make 1 bit of difference

Nothing to be sorry for Steve, we all see things differently and its good when we can all debate differing views, in an adult way.
  • Options
    going to places like sheff wed, donny,norwich,ipswich etc does count as doing something though getting behind the team at these matches,i've done my bit !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]No Suzi, i haven't really changed my stance too much, i just feel that once everyone has had their say and the club knows where you stand it should be left at that.

The season is now entering its most crucial stage and everyone who represents or cares for club should be up for a battle. There is a time and a place for everything, and like i did not feel the morning of the Palace game as the right time for the FF to go public with their statement of intent, nor do i feel pieces 'on our demise' are ideal on the morning of our biggest six-pointer of the season.

Point of clarification - the 'Statement of Intent' is what we are asking from the Club. The Fans' Forum asked for this in the form of a formal communication.

We have discussed timings before, AFKA.

My question to you is 'when would be the right time'? Would you rather that we had still not issued our formal communication and that we had no expectations from the meeting next week? Indeed, maybe there would not even be a meeting arranged for next week. Just how long would you have waited for the 'right time'?
  • Options
    think its time to dig the trenches now complete media black out, no one comes in no one comes out just parky and kins and the 20 odd players who will be playing to keep us up, focus on one thing and one thing alone, survival no player trips to the Brits no outside interference, they get paid more then we ever will so now make them earn it, no excuses no distractions if you dont like it then bye bye.. now is a time for leaders and fighters not spice boy wana bees. Make them a unit a close nitt team that will put everything on the line to get us out of this mess. We cannot be having stupid distractions like this, its all well and good doing the 'cross bar challenge' when your doing ok in the league but at the bottom and scraping for everything going..no ta. we have got 2 wins another tomrow and we will be right back in the mix up and we will and should get ourselfs out of this mess and survive, weve faced worse times than this but now is the time to draw ranks and show some balls.
  • Options
    This is the right time Dave, in fact it was several weeks ago...
    Having a media blackout is not realistic, and Charlton are contracted to do media work.