Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zabeel switch attention to West Ham - Denied

Comments

• Options

Not much else to do today?...;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Little bit nervous but hey, this is what supporting Charlton is about.

lets wait and see how things pan out, in the end if it does go tits up then we are no worse off than we were this time last week in reality are we?

Exactly. Why just because we're told of Zabeel being interested do we automatically assume that it's a done deal? Any number of things could change. This is a group who were also interested in Liverpool and Newcastle weren't they, and they didn't buy them either.
    Whilst it's a bit of a laugh to talk about all the potential new signings, us taking the premiership by storm and turning out at the san siro and the bernabeu in 3-4 years time, i refuse to get excited until a deal is signed and sealed and i see Richard Murray and an arab bloke holding a charlton scarf on the Valley pitch on sky sports news.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]A West Ham supporting colleague is suggesting that the Spammers might be going into administration in the near future....Hmmmn

Colleague here says the same but the funny bit is that even with 10 point deduction they stay above Apurs on goal difference
    A week to survive is what he reckons
  • Options
    اتلتيك
    منذ 2 يوم/أيام

دبي (ا ف ب) - اكدت مجموعة " زعبيل للاستثمار " الاماراتية اليوم السبت رغبتها بشراء نادي تشارلتون اتلتيك الذي يلعب في الدرجة الاولى في انكلترا.

وجاء في بيان المجموعة الاماراتية "دأبت "زعبيل للاستثمار" على دراسة امكانية الاستثمار في ناد انكليزي وراقبت عن كثب اوضاع نادي تشارلتون ومع اننا تلقينا عروضا من اندية عدة في انكلترا واوروبا واميركا الجنوبية الا اننا نعتقد ان تشارلتون هو النادي المنشود".

وقال محمد الهاشمي المدير التنفيذي لمجموعة زعبيل للاستثمار "نشعر انه الوقت المناسب للقيام باستثمار استراتيجي طويل الامد في نادي تشارلتون واعادته الى مكانه الطبيعي في الدوري الممتاز في انكلترا وقد دفعنا شغف جمهور تشارلتون وارث النادي ومكانته الفريدة في المجتمع الى التفكير جديا في هذا العرض المثير للاهتمام".

وكان نادي تشارلتون اعلن في وقت سابق انه تلقى عرضا لشرائه من مجموعة "زعبيل للاستثمار".

وكانت تقارير صحافية انكليزية اشارت قبل اسابيع الى سعي المجموعة الاماراتية الى شراء نادي نيوكاسل قبل ان تنفي هذه الاخبار لاحقا.

وهبط تشارلتون الى مصاف اندية الدرجة الاولى في الموسم الماضي ويحتل حاليا المركز الرابع عشر.

وجاء في بيان النادي الانكليزي "ان مجلس ادارة تشارلتون يعلن انه تلقى عرضا من مجموعة زعبيل للاستثمارات" مشيرا الى ان النادي "سيطلب من مساهميه قبول العرض حين يقدم في اطاره الرسمي".

واكد رئيس نادي تشارلتون ديريك شابل ان "هذا العرض سيعود بالفائدة على

المساهمين والموظفين والمشجعين".

وكانت مجموعة ابو ظبي للتطوير والاستثمار قد اشترت مطلع الموسم الحالي نادي

مانشستر سيتي في حين كانت مجموعة "دبي انترناشونال كابيتال" مهتمة بشراء ليفربول.

يذكر ان تسعة من الاندية العشرين التي تلعب في الدوري الممتاز في انكلترا تعود

ملكيتها الى مستثمرين اجانب وقد يرتفع العدد الى 11 بعد عرض ايفرتون ونيوكاسل

للبيع.

It's all starting to make perfect sense now....:0 <!>
  • Options
    I'll second that, tho' not sure about the second sentance in the third papagraph.
  • Options
    is that legal what they propose to do to people J block?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]or there is firesale when the owner gets desperate for some cash.

I would imagine that is already the case. He must be under enormous pressure to liquidate his assets.
    What is his alternative if WHU has been bought with Icelandic loans ???? how does he now fund Wet Spam ? go cap in hand to other banks whilst his have all gone bust ..... not going to happen. He "needs" to sell and sell quickly, but as others have pointed out, he has to discount due to the Tevez affair (what a shame ........ looks like it comes back to bite them in the end) ......... get the feeling that part of the reason we are doing our deal with Zabeel now, is that they can reap the benefits cheaper and with little competition .... because West Ham are a very lame duck !
    The Olympic spin offs may well be the predominant feature in this deal ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]The Olympic spin offs may well be the predominant feature in this deal ?
    stadium???
  • Options
    All pi55 and wind - grauniad made up rubbish, which in any case West Ham deny. Filthy paper, that one, anyway.
    Also, who'd want to buy WHU with a £30m / £50m arbitration hanging over them, which may not be resolved for months?

Notifications to the stock market are all part of the process of acquisition, and have to be carried out by the book. It just signifies that things are moving forward, though of course there are no guarantees.

Whatever the indicative offer, it wont have been made lightly, and unless due diligence turns up some skeletons in the cupboard it should stand.

I wouldnt worry about Zabeel getting mixed up with a grubby club like West Ham (from a corporate perspective - nothing against the spammers per se).
  • Options
    good guys... this is making me feel a bit better....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1st post so here goes. Did anyone else get a bit concerned a couple of days ago when it was mentioned that the arabs were still interested in Liverpool? Which ever way you look at it from Liverpool to Charlton is a pretty drastic lowering of your target / ambition. maybe this West Ham business is just another ploy to get their real desired option to play ball.
  • Options
    There is so much speculation here. There is no doubt that West Ham have a number of Journalist fans and they are capable of wittingly or unwittingly playing a part in an attempt for West Ham to put themselves in the shop window. Hard though it is, I just think we need to stay calm and wait for developments to unfold. Can I just remind everyone that the only official statement by our club on the OS says that

'The board of Charlton Athletic plc announced on Friday that it has received an indicative cash offer from Zabeel Investments, a Dubai-based diversified investment company.
    The indicative offer is subject to a number of (waivable) preconditions, including due diligence, however, it is at a level at which, should the offer be made formally to shareholders, the board would recommend shareholders to accept it.
    There is, however, no certainty that a formal offer will be made nor as to the terms of any offer.
    Zabeel Investments had been looking at the opportunity to invest in a leading English football club and had been monitoring the situation at Charlton Athletic Football Club closely.
    In spite of being approached by various English football clubs, as well as a number of well-known clubs in Europe and South America, Zabeel Investments believes Charlton is the right club for them.
    The board will keep the shareholders, fans and employees updated with any further developments.
    Derek Chappell, chairman of the company and Richard Murray, chairman of CAFC, commented: "The board firmly believes that a successful outcome for this transaction would be beneficial to shareholders and employees of Charlton, all fans of the club and the local community as a whole.”
    Mohammed Al Hashimi, executive chairman, Zabeel Investments, commented: "We feel now is the right time to make a strategic, long term investment in Charlton and get CAFC back to the English Premier League where they belong.
    "The passion of the fans at Charlton, the heritage of the Club and the unique status it enjoys in the community make it an exciting proposition for us.”
    For the purposes of the takeover code, this announcement has been made with the consent of Zabeel Investments.'

This is all we really know.
  • Options
    So according to the Guardian article, the approach to West Ham was more discreetly conducted even though it managed to become public knowledge the next day whereas the approach to Charlton only become known when the club itself announced it. Yes, far more discrete...

Also, "contact was made" with West Ham, but Gudmundsson "rejected the bid". Hmm, was it contact, or a bid? Surely first contact wouldn't be "We'll give you X million quid"?

What's more, there are "no talks", but "talks are continuing".

Sounds completely fabricated to me.
  • Options
    good czech ... this is calming me down..
  • Options
    Like most of us, I have no idea what's actually happening, but with regards to this bit about the hamsters;

Firstly, it has been reported widely that Zabeel were actively looking to invest in Football in the UK. They were part of the consortium that wanted to buy Liverpool as well as being rumoured to have been offered Newcastle, West Ham and even Burnley.

For the most part it seems, following the news that investors from the Middle East were looking, the offers have all been made one way and individuals such as Amanda Staveley are desperate to be brokers for such deals. However she was and still is the front for DIC, the company who were and apparently still are, after Liverpool and I have seen no mention anywhere that she was involved in the Man City deal.

Zabeel deny making a bid for Newcastle and it is likely that they didn't even want to enter into negotiations with the geordies after hearing of the £480 million price tag put up by Ashley.

The hamsters are reeling after the loss of XL and now with Iceland going belly up, you would expect them to at least be in a position to talk about possible investment. But no, Gudmundsson has come out and said that they have turned down an offer from Zabeel which if true is not only highly irrational but is also hardly as discreet as the author suggests.

Secondly, Zabeel are a billion dollar company, run by financially astute men who would have known full well the rules and procedures for takeovers. The announcements made would have been with the full knowledge of the company and I am sure, if this is all genuine, they would be respecting the fact that no further statements have been made.

Lastly however and the only part of the story that really alerted me, is the one regarding rules of ownership. If indeed DIC are still interested in Liverpool and the Americans as a result of the current financial issues, become keen to sell, then as Zabeel are part of that group, under league rules, they would not be allowed to own Charlton as well.

The Man City due dilligance process took about 21 days to complete and I'm guessing that was after the fomal approach, it's going to be a long three or four weeks in our world people, so hold on tight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]The Olympic spin offs may well be the predominant feature in this deal ?
    stadium???

Somebody is going to benefit from it and it sure ISN'T going to be anyone without some serious cash ............. we'd be missing one of the best opportunities ever to move this club forward IMHO if we ignored it. Maybe the current board recognise this but know they could never stump up enough money on their own ?
  • Options
    C_A rather depends on which parts of the press you pick & choose to believe though doesn't it. Personally I try to take it all with a very large pinch of salt but few of us can't help believing the bits that sound positive while discarding the bits we don't like.
  • Options
    well Sid, sorry, said.
  • Options
    We are in a process of due dilligence, so I expect to hear nothing official.

In the meantime, there are alot of clubs out there thinking why li'l ole charlton?
    So Liverpool, Newcastle, and now West Ham. I also expect to see Arsenal, Spurs, Palace, and even Rushden and Diamonds etc, all in 'very discreet talks'.
  • Options
    Zabeel could sell Charlton at some point if/once purchased

They were interested in getting into various top clubs such as Liverpool and Arsenal (reportedly) but were confounded

I would imagine they already looked at Westham and other clubs as reports suggest.

The strategy seems to be either top 4 club or build your own from an undervalued club with potential. These guys are looking for value for money, not sure about the wage trimming comment though seems odd in the context of investing in players, and after our summer cuts - are we really still one of the biggest paymaster in the CCC after that?

The only way I can see Westham getting in there is if their valuation is dropped massively, even then their debt could outweigh such a price and only administration would find a buyer, maybe not even then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am hoping that Smoking Ice and Razil's take on events are accurate, I would like to believe so anyway!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Good point from Bingaddick, the Wet Spam media certainly have more than their fair share of air time, witness the lack of outrage at the Tevez affair. The biased defending of their position by certain pet journos is verging on the embarrassing.

Idle Hans, if the Grauniad is filthy, I shudder to think of the adjective you might use about the Mail or Express... :-D
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SID[/cite]C_A rather depends on which parts of the press you pick & choose to believe though doesn't it. Personally I try to take it all with a very large pinch of salt but few of us can't help believing the bits that sound positive while discarding the bits we don't like.
    Very true SID. That Guardian story just doesn't quite add up though, but it could just be poorly written.
  • Options
    SIDSID
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Czech_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SID[/cite]C_A rather depends on which parts of the press you pick & choose to believe though doesn't it. Personally I try to take it all with a very large pinch of salt but few of us can't help believing the bits that sound positive while discarding the bits we don't like.
    Very true SID. That Guardian story just doesn't quite add up though, but it could just be poorly written.

C_A to be honest mate none of this has added up to me since last Friday.
  • Options
    This thread has made me laugh.

Jeez, some people need to calm the f**k down!

We'll know when we know - and that's about the only thing you can say with any certainty.
  • Options
    115 posts on a bit of guff supplied by West Ham's press office? Bloody hell.
  • Options
    I have noticed the pro wet spam bias in most of what I've read on other sites this morning. tossers all!
  • Options
    Ffs did I do that quote thing wrong it looks different ?
  • Options
    SID, go back and edit it, and tick BBCode
  • Options
    its called a football forum, its what we do, ok??

:D