Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zheng Zhi

Comments

• Options
    The Mirror says:

West Brom last night agreed a £2.5million fee with Charlton for Zheng Zhi.

Chinese midfielder Zhi, 28, is due at The Hawthorns for talks and a medical today, as Baggies boss Tony Mowbray prepares to bolster his side after two defeats since winning promotion to the top flight.

Defender Martin Cranie, 21, is moving to The Valley on loan, joining Linvoy Primus in swapping Fratton Park for Charlton.
  • Options
    It's a shame as I thought he could probably form a really good partnership with Bailey but if it means us getting nothing for him in a year it's definitely worth it.

Who needs ZZ,
    We've got Nick Bailey,

Who needs ZZ
    We've got Nick Bailey
  • Options
    He's not going to be a great loss, £2.5m will be a decent deal.
  • Options
    It was already a done deal on Saturday for £2.5 Million...plus whatever we save on his wages, so makes sense...he had already made it clear to the club that he wanted to be in the Premiership (and the wages that brings). Crainie deal as I said elsewhere is subject to him not being sold before the deadline.
  • Options
    Based on Saturday's performance, where would ZZ fit into the side now - I say take the £2.5 million and invest in another defender!
  • Options
    keep the Z

feck the money if he goes we all know that it will be at 11:59:59 secs of the last day of the transfer window

although i wish zz to stay what i will say is we have been doing ok without him and the midfield is not light so if he goes good luck to zz and i wonder how much we made out in china with their star man
  • Options
    Any further news on his departure?
  • Options
    all very quiet
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    be gone soon then,

i think he is on his holi bobs somewhere unless he has been spotted at sparrows?

AFKA whats the word on da street
  • Options
    that if Zhi is still here after the weekend, i would be extremely surprised.

Things change quickly approaching deadlines, so never say never, but i understand the deal is as good as done, if not done already.

I don't think at any stage Zhi was in our plans for this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You seem to be well informed. Sounds like its gonna happen. Still WBA?
  • Options
    I know I'm in the minority but he never really rocked my boat and I'm not that bothered to see him go.
    Not a bad player by any means but somewhat overated as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Doesn't leave much time for Pards to spend some of the money - mind you that him spending moneyprobably wasn't on the agenda either!
  • Options
    he wont be spending it , the bank will see that.
  • Options
    I've heard the only thing that is holding up the transfer is demands from his "advisors".

I get the impression that ZZ just wants to play football but his status in the particular country he is from means he has very little choice in what he does.

Still expect him to be gone though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]You seem to be well informed. Sounds like its gonna happen. Still WBA?

As far as i'm aware, yes.

I would expect it to be completed within the next 24hrs.
  • Options
    I suspect the delay is down to West Brom getting the paperwork on the work permit together, no point signing him if they can't get a WP.
  • Options
    I've no inside track on this but I'd have thought, given AFKA's comments, that the WP problem would have been smoothed out already otherwise there would be no point in anyone bidding for him?
  • Options
    Tony Mowbray just said on SSN that he didn't think this deal was going to happen.
  • Options
    No issues with WP as far as i heard. Even if there was, the Chinese gov are very keen for ZZ to be playing in the prem, and would make sure it was smoothed over.

Two questions really ?

a) If the fee is £2.5m, do you feel we have attained fair value ?

b) What exactly do you feel we are going to miss most playing wise from ZZ ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Tony Mowbray just said on SSN that he didn't think this deal was going to happen.

well that's thrown the cat amongst the pigeons !!
  • Options
    year left on contract, so probably acceptable considering what we got for bougherra

I think he's surplus to be honest

if he stays it might stop us signing someone we really do need, like another wide player or centre half
  • Options
    bet our bank manager aint happy
  • Options
    a) Deffo think £2.5 mill is fair value as only has a year left on deal.

b) What we're missing is the prospect of what he could do in our much improved midfield and he does pop up with the odd goal.

In fairness Pards said there had been inquiries from a couple of clubs so maybe he's heading elsewhere.
  • Options
    alternatively he's not too bad in the air.. could he make a decent centre half?
  • Options
    A) £2.5 m is not a bad price, considering we paid less than that, although i beleive there were add-ons to the fee we paid.

B) a goal-scorer......plain & simple. He has the knack of getting into the box 7 getting on the end of things. although we have started scoring goals our strike force can hardly be termed "deadly" and I'll be surprised if any of our strikers get more than 12-15 goals this season. I know we have just singed Bailey and by all accounts he does chip in with 10 or so a season - but that was for barnet & southend in lower leagues.

If ZZ goes I know the brits abroed, esp Jimmy Melrose, will be gutted.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]No issues with WP as far as i heard. Even if there was, the Chinese gov are very keen for ZZ to be playing in the prem, and would make sure it was smoothed over.

but it isnt down to the Chinese gov whether he gets work permit is it?
  • Options
    call it UK/Chinese relations, I think UK would be keen to keep things sweet with a huge trading partner/potential market like the Chinese particularly the way the ruskies are acting right now
  • Options
    Two questions really ?

a) If the fee is £2.5m, do you feel we have attained fair value ?

b) What exactly do you feel we are going to miss most playing wise from ZZ ?

a) With less than a year left on his contract it reprresents fair value.

b) Goals from midfield - was it nine last year? That's a decent contribution from a midfielder and we need Bouazza/Bailey to fill that gap.
  • Options
    Same old Charlton, sell at the last minute, get under market value, and too late for pards to spend it. I for one think we should keep him, but only if he wants to stay and get him to sign a new contract with a view he can go in the summer for a decent fee if we don't go up. A line has to be drawn with all this selling, ZZ was signed after we we went down so should not be on Prem wages. My Boy will be devastated, ZZ is his fav player.