Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zheng Zhi

Comments

• Options
    If ZZ won't sign a new contract then we should sell him - in a season he'll walk away on a Bosman and we won't just have lost a good goal scoring midfielder but a fairly sunstantial sum of money. Given our financial circumstances and the need to bring in quality we can't let a good player go for nothing.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3vTlNr08VY
  • Options
    Agree with BFR Oon this. Sign him up if we can but if he stalls get the money.....but re-invest. Midfield still not strong enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Agree with BFR Oon this. Sign him up if we can but if he stalls get the money.....but re-invest. Midfield still not strong enough.

Agree but that's always the dilemma. Sell now and it's lack of ambition, let him go for free and it's lack of foresight.

Interesting to read that Pardew mentions a few names on the OS. Cranie was one. Also somewhere it was said he mentioned Howard (from Barnsley). Would be ideal for us IMHO
  • Options
    From what I have seen of ZZ he has great technical ability however I feel he is a bit light weight and tired badly at end of season....if we get a good price I woul sell him and reinvest in a more robust mid i.e. how about Sean Davies where is he now ?
  • Options
    Sean Davis is at Portsmouth.

He is another one who has had injury trouble.

To be honest he is well out of our league financially. I'm sure he is atleast 25k a week and would command 2m+ as fee.
  • Options
    ZZ was probably signed partly because of his footballing ability and partly because of the possible revenue coming in from sponsorship in the far East which I don't think would bring in a great deal of revenue anyway. Somone tell me if I'm wrong. With a year on his contract and with him coming back from the Olympics tired, we son't get the best out of him for a while which will lower his price even further. I reckon if the right bid is on the table we should take it and start to push the likes of Shelvey etc through.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]From what I have seen of ZZ he has great technical ability however I feel he is a bit light weight and tired badly at end of season....if we get a good price I woul sell him and reinvest in a more robust mid i.e. how about Sean Davies where is he now ?

He's a good player, but coming from China to play in the Premiership was always going to be a step up in class and pace - even in the CCC that's the case. On the whole I think he seems to have coped with the footballing side of things pretty well. As for him tiring at the end of the season - the frequent demands for him to travel to China and here, there and everywhere on their behalf can't have helped. if he does stay, then I hope he does less travelling this season.
  • Options
    At least if we have a "substantial" offer on the table it makes the decision easy. If ZZ wants to sign a new contract then fine, if he doesn't we accept the offer, release the cash that's tied up in him and invest in another midfield player.
  • Options
    anything over £2.5m and we should let him go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think if Bailey is as combative as people are saying he would be the perfect partner for ZZ. In fact I'd get rid of Thomas play a 5 man midfield with, Bouazza, ZZ, Bailey, Ambrose (when fit) and Varney. Thomas ans Sam just don't get enough crosses in and can't see the point in playing the two of them out wide. Hopefully Bouazza will and Varney looks good out wide and would be free to support the front man Gray. Job done ;)
  • Options
    Unfortunately I think the signing of Bailey heralds the departure of ZZ. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    I hope you're wrong too, Bing !
  • Options
    Zheng to West Brom next week according to the SLP.
  • Options
    Pards is predicting that he's going so it will happen. Shame but at least we've got somebody in to replace him.
  • Options
    BBC rumours site says that West Brom have put in a bid of £2m.
  • Options
    looks like he will leave within the next couple of days.
  • Options
    I have resigned myself to Zheng Zhi's departure. I do not think there is any question that the club would be better off with Zhi (given current midfield options, if ZZ is gone, any injury to Bailey seems like it would have dire effects on the team), but I also understand that Zhi may be a luxury that can no longer be afforded.

It does, however, seem like there is only a few days left in which a sale can be completed. According to the Home Office's web-site explanation of visa requirements for football players (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier2/workpermits/workpermitarrangements/sportsandentertainments/footballplayers/) seems to make clear that if Zhi is transferred to Hull or West Brom, he'll have to get a new work permit. And, per the description of requirements, Zhi certainly would not automatically qualify for a new permit as China is not in the top 70. And, if this is true, there would not seem to be any guarantee that an independent panel would find that ZZ was a player "of the highest calibre" and would be "able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in United Kingdom." Is this correct? Do I have the law wrong? In short, why is it assumed by Charlton's management that Zhi can be transferred to another English club?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: collegeparkaddick[/cite][p] In short, why is it assumed by Charlton's management that Zhi can be transferred to another English club?[/p]

I think your understanding of the law is correct, earlier in the close season it was assumed that it would be difficult for a UK club to take on ZZ due to the regulations and this was said at the City Addicks meeting by Martin Simmon, but he did not rule out the possibility of a European club with less taxing regulation coming in. However, I think there has been a general feeling that the Chinese authorities would like ZZ to play at Premiership level and that it would be unlikely that the Government would stand in their way, despite the regulations.
  • Options
    I personally think West Brom are taking the piss with a £2m bid he is absolute class and worth double that IMHO.

BUT if the club need to sell so be it no player is bigger than the club - we've sold better players than ZZ in the past and recovered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite][p]I personally think West Brom are taking the piss with a £2m bid he is absolute class and worth double that IMHO.[/p][p]BUT if the club need to sell so be it no player is bigger than the club - we've sold better players than ZZ in the past and recovered.[/p]

If they get him and they get their marketing right in China then £2 mill is peanuts. Although the Chinese national football team are in disgrace apparently after their poor Olympic showing and I think with his sending off he's likely to be well in the dog house.
  • Options
    we should hold out 4 at least £2.5m(if we can).
  • Options
    If we can get what we paid back i'd be happy, seeing as he's only got a year left on his contract and we need rid of his wages.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonsteve21[/cite][p]we should hold out 4 at least £2.5m(if we can).[/p]

Why not £3M or £5M or £10M? Can't we just trust the club to get the best deal they can? Remember he has one year left on his contract so we get nothing at the end of it if he stays.
  • Options
    Perhaps, but Zhi could just as easily be transferred in the January window with the same logic in mind (departure after the season on a free). Indeed, there is as much a chance that ZZ would increase his value with a strong run of play with a better Charlton team in league fixtures as there a chance that his value would decline as he got closer to walking. Why not £3M or £5M or £10M? Last season, before mid-January, ZZ had 9 goals (7 league) and 4 assists in 27 matches. If he can do anything close to that this season -- and there is no indication that he could not -- why not seriously consider keeping the wages on the books and determining the market for him four months hence?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: collegeparkaddick[/cite][p]Last season, before mid-January, ZZ had 9 goals (7 league) and 4 assists in 27 matches. If he can do anything close to that this season -- and there is no indication that he could not -- why not seriously consider keeping the wages on the books and determining the market for him four months hence?[/p]

Last year we sold our most influential player ....... and our season nose dived.

Back then there was a reasonably good chance of promotion with Reidy back in the side - and the Prem handouts.
    Once he was sold, no chance - as the final run in proved so painfully.

That decision may have cost us that £30m - £40m.

We need to be careful we don't go down the same route with ZZ - especially if it could easily prove to be the difference that wins us promotion and, hopefully, the money to secure our forseeable future.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I understand the point you make Oggy ( and College). We could have a meaningful debate as to whether the selling of Reid was the reason, or whether Pards f*cked up by playing Tinkerman, or maybe the players collectively just couldn't hack the pressure. We could also argue about ZZ's effectiveness, his time away with China etc and how much he's worth. The facts are that China want him sold, he ain't going to one of the big boys, he's got a work permit problem. So if he goes because China want him to go and so does he we'll get what we can for him, the more clubs after him, the higher his price, or he'll stay because he's hemmed in. We could insist he stays, we know that wont work, so disappointing as it maybe, I am resigned to him leaving. I'll be delighted if he has to stay though.
  • Options
    I personally think that he isnt going to go before the jan transfer window, the lad hasnt stopped playing football all summer and was looking exceedingly tired in the latter part of last season. With the fact that West Broms interest has waned, Hulls interest is paper talk I anticipate we will be putting the feelers out for a deal with someone in January (£1.5 to £2.5mil at most)
  • Options
    The figure currently on the table is £2.5M. We cannot wait until Jan as his contract expires then and he will be on a free
  • Options
    The BBC say that West Brom have made a £2.5m offer. As I've said before if he isn't going to sign a new contract then we should take the money.

Midfielders are not something we are short of with Bailey, Shelvey, Holland, Ambrose, Racon and Semedo around.