Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Options
    Ordaaaa, Ordaaaa!
  • Options
    AddickFC81 said:l
    The 20mph speed limit in the London Borough of Lewisham. Particularly across Blackheath Common (The Heath). It's not practical. And other roads across the borough too. Particualrly when you are in a rush. These roads are designed for 30mph. Now cars dangerously tailgate or dangerously overtake those sticking to the rules.
    Whatever the limit that happens.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    When you see a news story & then find out it was (mostly) stage managed.......

Speaking specifically today of Boris' "altercation"  with a "upset parent" at a N London  hospital. On first viewing I really felt for the bloke & thought "at last.....someone has actually said something to a politician" when you see these photo calls. 

Alas......the Prime Minister turns out to be a Conservative activist. Apparently he had taken himself to that hospital this morning when neither he nor his family were ill. Sheer coincidence then that Omar Salem whose daughter nearly died......

Tories will do anything to cling on to power.

I'm sure Boris /his team/PR had organised his "walkabout" some time in advance & not that morning. Not agreeing with it for one moment & find those things cringeworthy......which was why I applauded (at first) this random bloke turning on the PM.

But it then turns out that "random man" just happens to be a Labour activist & at that very same hospital that morning. Call me cynical......
    Just for the record Golfy, I am in broad agreement with your point about stage-managed news items. In fact, I almost made the same point here the other day when I heard two stories in quick succession about Margaret Atwood's new book: Firstly that Amazon had "inadvertently" send out some pre-order copies before the release date, then some nonsense about "unprecedented" cyber security. These seemed to have far more prominence than to be explained by randomness - more Random House. It's not really important stuff, but it did irk me that I was being kept from hearing genuinely important news by what looks like some clever PR work by her publishers. The relevance here is that these stage managed news items occur all the time.

As for politicians, they do seem to undertake rather more hospital visits than are necessary. It is the sort of cheap PR that I'm sure Random House would be very proud of. Personally though, I think their hospital visits should be limited to specific circumstances:
    1. When they, or people they are close to, are ill. In which case they should be kept private and should not be reported at all.
    2. Fact finding missions to inform public policy. In which case it should be the Minister of Health (or those working to him) not the Prime Minister doing them. Perhaps these visits could even be named Hancock's Half Hours.
    3. Times of national emergency. In which case they should encompass leaders of all parties and should be focussed on improving morale and showing support rather that party political point scoring.
    4. To highlight specific health issues. These should again be cross party and should be aimed at highlighting specific preventative/remedial actions that the public should take.
    Outside of the above I can think of no instances when I'd think it acceptable. In the case of Johnson, this is a man who has closed Parliament on the basis that his government needed more time. Yet he has the time to go swanning around Whipps Cross. He is threatening to drive this country off a cliff, but his priorities are to try and bolster his personal ratings by showing fake sympathy to  some sick kids. This should be a real cause of anger: the inappropriate use of Prime Minister's time for his own personal gain during a national emergency.  And yet the bit that you chose to pick up on is that his visit didn't match his aims because one of the hundreds of people in that hospital, a man with a genuine reason to be there, happened to be a Labour activist. It's a sick joke.

• Options
    Our dogs have a squabble and I’m the one that gets bitten, 5 minutes later they are the best of friends and I’m left with another bruise. 
  • Options
    Shit job, shit culture, shit people, shit organisation.
  • Options
    CEO @EFL?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    CEO @EFL?
    South Eastern I reckon....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is the same for 90% of the working population mate. Get used to it. 
  • Options
    This is the same for 90% of the working population mate. Get used to it. 
    My place is so bad at the moment, that I was looking forward to going home and filling a 6yd skip with broken up concrete.
  • Options
    The best threads on here being spoilt by political shite
    Everything you do is ruled by politics...everything!
  • Options
    Getting an email from your holiday company a week before a long-awaited holiday in the sun to inform you that a new apartment block is being built right next to where you're staying! Now going to have to cancel and spend a week sitting at home instead GRRRRR!
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Getting an email from your holiday company a week before a long-awaited holiday in the sun to inform you that a new apartment block is being built right next to where you're staying! Now going to have to cancel and spend a week sitting at home instead GRRRRR!
    Hope you're not with Thomas Cook?
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Hope you're not with Thomas Cook?
    No, I was feeling quite happy this morning about that until the email arrived at lunchtime! I suppose I should be grateful that they at least let me know and I didn't just turn up for a relaxing holiday next to a building site. 
  • Options
    The 20mph speed limit in the London Borough of Lewisham. Particularly across Blackheath Common (The Heath). It's not practical. And other roads across the borough too. Particualrly when you are in a rush. These roads are designed for 30mph. Now cars dangerously tailgate or dangerously overtake those sticking to the rules.
    Haha, if you can get up to 10mph on the a2 as it crosses Blackheath into Lewisham then that’s about twice the normal speed, you are probably on a bike. 

the issue is more that two lanes go into one and it’s one of the main routes into central London. 

Need a four carriageway tunnel under the heath really. 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Why can't you move hotel ?
  • Options
    How can a 

Killer driver with 25 points kept licence

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-49769107
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Wilma said:
    Why can't you move hotel ?
    I 'could' move but as it's only a week until I fly out there isn't much available. What is available is much more expensive and I'll have to pay the difference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Was it Alpha rooms or Booking.com or one of those type organisations, @Wilma?
  • Options
    Was it Alpha rooms or Booking.com or one of those type organisations, @Wilma?
    Jet2. Holidayed with them last year and it was amazing. I'm grateful that they let me know beforehand, just annoyed that I'm going to miss out on a lazy week away.

It's in the Algarve as well! 
  • Options
    That is very poor from a company like that Wilma. I don't believe for one second that the construction has just started out of the blue this week.  
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Just saw a child wearing a Millwall kit as I drove out of Asda tonight

(1) Why would you make a child even wear that... Just cruel
    (2) Why would you let them walk in a car park when there is a risk of them being taken out by a psychotic Charlton fan!!

To be fair to him he had good reflexes, god knows how he managed to jump out of my way at the last minute ;)
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    People that don’t lock the bog doors and
    you walk in on them mid dump and the first instinct is to apologise when you should be telling them to lock the fecking door!!!!
    It those standing there having a piss that annoy me

They're closer to the door standing up so you almost walk into the bloody back of them!!
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    People that don’t lock the bog doors and
    you walk in on them mid dump and the first instinct is to apologise when you should be telling them to lock the fecking door!!!!
    Yeah, someone in my house does that and they sigh and get angry if you inadvertently approach the bathroom.
  • Options
    That is very poor from a company like that Wilma. I don't believe for one second that the construction has just started out of the blue this week.  

Eight storey block being built, done up to first floor apparently. Woman I spoke to last night said that means it won't be noisy anymore! Spoke to someone different this morning and changed to Menorca instead. Similar flight times and cost. Grateful that I have a holiday unlike those people booked with Thomas Cook.
  • Options
    Being stuck in a contraflow going up to Wigan. Ours is the only lane that isn't moving 😠
  • Options
    Only 3 Saturday 3pm PL kick-offs ffs