Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Having to make phone calls in public. Which seems to be happening more often nowadays as my work seems to have agreed that the train is just an extension of my office.
  • MrLargo said:

Pointy elbow syndrome.

Used to buy cheap shirts for work, Primark and the like, but kept ending up with a ripped sleeve around the elbow, which I presumed was as a consequence of my miserly shopping habits.

Decided to upgrade a few months ago - Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, etc - and presumed that supposedly better quality shirts would bring an end to the problem.

No change whatsoever - got 5 shirts being repaired at the Dry Cleaners this week. One of them had only been worn 3 times, two of them about 5 times and the other two a bit longer because they were made from thicker material. I've sought advice from around the office, but the general consensus seems to be that my elbows are perfectly normal. An elderly female staff member even suggested that they're "nice" elbows. There's nothing sharp protruding from them, and I don't wander round rubbing them against the nearest abrasive surface. Why is this happening to me?

Sounds like they don't fit properly, do you wear fitted shirts?

Might be worth going into a shirt shop and getting measured up and even mention it and see if they recommend a different size/fit (remember you don't have to buy anything just because they spend two minutes measuring you for a shirt)

Failing that do you spend a lot of time with your elbows on the desk whilst on the phone etc? Doesn't have to be that they are catching on something sharp but may be getting worn by the desk/armrests
    Been measured up mate. Bought all of the current batch after being measured. Could be the "elbow on the desk" thing, don't think I do that a lot though.
  • Roll your sleeves up
  • It’s skiving In The toilets at work and leaning your elbows on your knees whilst looking at your phone that does it.
  • cabbles said:

Stig said:

Having to make phone calls in public. Which seems to be happening more often nowadays as my work seems to have agreed that the train is just an extension of my office.

it's good that you see it that way. I hate speaking in public on the phone, particularly work or listening to other people's work related calls.

Reason being, most of the work related calls I hear on public transport are people who really revel in some deluded smug sense of self satisfaction like they are on an episode of the apprentice. I'm not saying this is all people that take work calls in the public, but you can hear them using all the vomit inducing buzzwords that you hear in the workplace.

Find it hard to side with people that do this regularly... either go in earlier/leave later or reject the call as you're no longer at work.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017

MrLargo said:

Pointy elbow syndrome.

Used to buy cheap shirts for work, Primark and the like, but kept ending up with a ripped sleeve around the elbow, which I presumed was as a consequence of my miserly shopping habits.

Decided to upgrade a few months ago - Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, etc - and presumed that supposedly better quality shirts would bring an end to the problem.

No change whatsoever - got 5 shirts being repaired at the Dry Cleaners this week. One of them had only been worn 3 times, two of them about 5 times and the other two a bit longer because they were made from thicker material. I've sought advice from around the office, but the general consensus seems to be that my elbows are perfectly normal. An elderly female staff member even suggested that they're "nice" elbows. There's nothing sharp protruding from them, and I don't wander round rubbing them against the nearest abrasive surface. Why is this happening to me?

wtf ???? I've worn "work shirts" for over 30 years & none, I repeat none, have ever worn at the elbows. wtf do you do all day to wear them out ??????
    I bet you wear short sleeved shirts.

Also, over 30 years!! They must have been some high quality shirts.
    The Trigger's broom of sartorial elegance?

Mind you, we saw the picture of him on the slopes, I don't think Mr Fashion has ever troubled our Golfie...

(Says the man who is to dress sense, what Boris Johnson is to gracefulness).
  • These things. How am I expected to get a decent cup of tea with them?
  • MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Pointy elbow syndrome.

Might be worth going into a shirt shop and getting measured up and even mention it and see if they recommend a different size/fit (remember you don't have to buy anything just because they spend two minutes measuring you for a shirt)

Failing that do you spend a lot of time with your elbows on the desk whilst on the phone etc? Doesn't have to be that they are catching on something sharp but may be getting worn by the desk/armrests
    Been measured up mate. Bought all of the current batch after being measured. Could be the "elbow on the desk" thing, don't think I do that a lot though.
    What about having some leather patches sewn onto the elbows? You could become a fashionista and everyone will be doing it!!
  • Why not buy shirts made out of the same thing as elbow patches?
  • Taking Idle jr's dog Rufus for a walk round the village with two poo bags in my back pocket.
    How many shits can a dog take in less than an hour?
    (Clue: its more than two)
  • MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Pointy elbow syndrome.

Blame Southeastern
  • IdleHans said:

Why not buy shirts made out of the same thing as elbow patches?

• MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Pointy elbow syndrome.

Blame Southeastern
    That's probably it mate. The toxic bacteria from their unwashed, decrepit cattle trucks has embedded itself in my flesh and is then exiting my body as molten acid through the pores in my elbows.

I wonder if they have a Decay Repay scheme, similar to the Delay Repay scheme, which allows passengers to claim compensation for damaged clothing caused by radioactivity emitting from their flea bitten rust cages.

Tossers.
  • edited November 2017
    Stig said:

These things. How am I expected to get a decent cup of tea with them?

Email the club...............Tone, this ones your remit. ;)

• Upwards inflection annoys the crap out of me. Just listening to one woman on Radio 5 live and every sentence ended with upward inflection.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Brand new white work shirt and the bottom corner of the left at the front has been dyed pink in the wash somehow. FFS - it’s little things like this that I think capture my life so well. I try to look and act smart, but there’s always some sort of blot, reminding me I’ll forever be a lemon

Colour catcher is the product for you. It works, dunno how, but it does. However, with some of the more outrageous pink stuff you may need to use two sheets in the wash.
  • cabbles said:

Brand new white work shirt and the bottom corner of the left at the front has been dyed pink in the wash somehow. FFS - it’s little things like this that I think capture my life so well. I try to look and act smart, but there’s always some sort of blot, reminding me I’ll forever be a lemon

Colour catcher is the product for you. It works, dunno how, but it does. However, with some of the more outrageous pink stuff you may need to use two sheets in the wash.
    I’ll be going back to Charles twyrit on this one

I know you’re meant to separate whites, but this was the first wash of it at 30 degrees

No way a white shirt should be getting coloured at that temp
  • Bleach is your friend, Cabbles.
  • That I've saved for years to buy my first house and have just paid thousands in stamp duty just last month. Gutted is an understatement but I couldn't wait for ever on the off-chance.
  • IdleHans said:

Bleach is your friend, Cabbles.

Will that work on shirts? Won’t it make it worst
  • cabbles said:

IdleHans said:

Think he means drink it.

• cabbles said:

IdleHans said:

It will work on cotton shirts, but go gently and dilute it well. Let it soak for ten or fifteen minutes then rinse it out and put it through the machine.
    Use thin bleach.
    I use it a lot for getting curry or spag bol stains out of mine. But don't overdo it or your shirt will drop to bits in no time, like Mr Largo's elbows.
  • IdleHans said:

cabbles said:

IdleHans said:

It will work on cotton shirts, but go gently and dilute it well. Let it soak for ten or fifteen minutes then rinse it out and put it through the machine.
    Use thin bleach.
    I use it a lot for getting curry or spag bol stains out of mine. But don't overdo it or your shirt will drop to bits in no time, like Mr Largo's elbows.
    Nice one mate thanks
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!