Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Out with the dog this morning and saw a woman pulling out of a junction with a cereal bowl (with a spoon in it) in one hand and the other hand on the steering wheel. I had to take a second look, as I just couldn't believe it.

Three Weetabix? :
    I think she was a froot loop.
  • Stig said:

Moulded rubber plugs. What's wrong with being able to unscrew it, fix it and screw it back up?

I'm not sure for certain but I think its law now, the only thing you should be able to change is the fuse. Im sure we must have an expert in that field on here somewhere. ;)
  • Romanian Referees
  • Don't watch many quiz shows but saw The Chase earlier... Contestants passing on questions that are guessable.

Q. In what sport is 4-4-2 a common formation?

A. Pass

4 of them couldn't hazard a guess!
  • I hope Roly was watching, he could write in and advise them about it.
  • Modern chart music. Watching the MTV Awards & at 35, I'm about 20 years too old to appreciate the music
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

bbob said:

Fiiish said:

T_C_E said:

Hearing an English teacher ask a pupil to return a book to the front of the class. She replied that she had, the teacher then says " My Bad" :(

The teacher used a perfectly normal and acceptable colloquialism. What a monster.
    My Bad is not acceptable, it's gibberish.
    Better write to Cambridge University and let them know your undoubtedly qualified opinion.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/my-bad

Teachers ought to encouraged to speak in terms accessible to those they are teaching instead of enforcing what the previous generation might consider to be better English (in their own opinion).
    The problem with this is when it reaches the real world. A teacher might deem "my bad", "innit" or any other nonsense phrase that they think endears them to the "kids" as appropriate, but when that pupil sits in front of a future employer in the professional world and utters such gibberish, then they aren't going far. If teachers (and Cambridge University) have any aspirations for their pupils, then they should stick to what is appropriate, rather than what is seen as cool (and the same goes for tattoos all over your body and the inability to tuck a shirt in / polish a pair of shoes...)
    Bit of a hyperbole there. You consider it a nonsense phrase. Most people don't, hence why it has entered the common lexicon. I imagine you've never attended any kind of teacher training or pedagogy lesson, because probably the quickest way to turn off your students is to reprimand them for the way they talk when it has nothing to do with the lesson at hand. If they are being given training for an interview then yes, by all means teach them that employers will expect formal conversation and to avoid colloquialisms. Otherwise just carry on with the lesson. Teachers have far more to be getting on with than trying to get their students to speak in the what the previous generation considers to be formal language. Also a bit out of order for someone who is a guest in the classroom to come on here behind their back and criticise the teacher when they themselves don't seem to have as good a grasp on the English language as they think. Seems like the only person who would have had a problem with what happened in that classroom was the one person who didn't even need to be there.
    I think you've got that wrong, most people don't use it, most people think it's moronic, many under 30 might think it's commonly used, but it's really not!
    It's the phrase of the fool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

bbob said:

Fiiish said:

T_C_E said:

Hearing an English teacher ask a pupil to return a book to the front of the class. She replied that she had, the teacher then says " My Bad" :(

The teacher used a perfectly normal and acceptable colloquialism. What a monster.
    Better write to Cambridge University and let them know your undoubtedly qualified opinion.

Teachers ought to encouraged to speak in terms accessible to those they are teaching instead of enforcing what the previous generation might consider to be better English (in their own opinion).
    The problem with this is when it reaches the real world. A teacher might deem "my bad", "innit" or any other nonsense phrase that they think endears them to the "kids" as appropriate, but when that pupil sits in front of a future employer in the professional world and utters such gibberish, then they aren't going far. If teachers (and Cambridge University) have any aspirations for their pupils, then they should stick to what is appropriate, rather than what is seen as cool (and the same goes for tattoos all over your body and the inability to tuck a shirt in / polish a pair of shoes...)
    Bit of a hyperbole there. You consider it a nonsense phrase. Most people don't, hence why it has entered the common lexicon. I imagine you've never attended any kind of teacher training or pedagogy lesson, because probably the quickest way to turn off your students is to reprimand them for the way they talk when it has nothing to do with the lesson at hand. If they are being given training for an interview then yes, by all means teach them that employers will expect formal conversation and to avoid colloquialisms. Otherwise just carry on with the lesson. Teachers have far more to be getting on with than trying to get their students to speak in the what the previous generation considers to be formal language. Also a bit out of order for someone who is a guest in the classroom to come on here behind their back and criticise the teacher when they themselves don't seem to have as good a grasp on the English language as they think. Seems like the only person who would have had a problem with what happened in that classroom was the one person who didn't even need to be there.
    I think you've got that wrong, most people don't use it, most people think it's moronic, many under 30 might think it's commonly used, but it's really not!
    Do you have evidence for this?
  • Being stuck on the M25 dying for piss!
  • Talal said:

Don't watch many quiz shows but saw The Chase earlier... Contestants passing on questions that are guessable.

Q. In what sport is 4-4-2 a common formation?

A. Pass

4 of them couldn't hazard a guess!

I still can't believe Duncan from Blue ansered this -

Q. Which of the following birds is NOT named after it's call
    a. Peewit
    b. Cuckoo
    c. Kingfisher

and he gave a. Peewit, but atill went on to bag £139k for the team.

...to the lose
  • Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

bbob said:

Fiiish said:

T_C_E said:

Think I'll go with Cambridge University over your out of date opinion.
  • iainment said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

bbob said:

Fiiish said:

T_C_E said:

No, he'd much rather call everyone 3 year olds until they agree with him.

Piss in a wide rimmed bottle and chuck it out the window Mick, that's what I do
  • Modern chart music. Watching the MTV Awards & at 35, I'm about 20 years too old to appreciate the music

It really is the pits. Luckily there are alternative places we can source music these days. I guess that is why there is such a schism between MTV type stuff and Jools Holland type stuff (though he/they still pick their guests from a relatively narrow field).
  • Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

bbob said:

Fiiish said:

T_C_E said:

I assume you have evidence that most people don't think it's a nonsense phrase?

I'd imagine not, which leaves everyone back to square one - some people think its an acceptable phrase, some don't. I'm in the latter camp, you are clearly in the former.
  • Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

bbob said:

Fiiish said:

T_C_E said:

I'd imagine not, which leaves everyone back to square one - some people think its an acceptable phrase, some don't. I'm in the latter camp, you are clearly in the former.
    I don't care either way...
  • Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

bbob said:

Fiiish said:

T_C_E said:

Phrases generally don't enter dictionaries until it is in common usage. Regardless of whether you think it is a nonsense phrase, the fact that a handful of people on here who live across England and other countries all hear it often enough to be consciously annoyed by it is proof enough that it is widely and acceptably used. Move on.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017
    The fact the window was open in the work toilet when I needed a number two!!

Fucking freezing I was sitting there!! - If they're worried about the toilets smelling then get air freshener
  • iainment said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

bbob said:

Fiiish said:

T_C_E said:

Yes.
  • MrOneLung said:

Sorry, I have stumbled onto the 'what relatively new phrases are now socially acceptable' thread when I was trying to reach the General Things that Annoy You thread

No, to be fair, Mick was busting for a piss on the M25 earlier

I was proud of myself last night. Managed to drive all the way home from Birmingham without needing to stop for a piss.
  • Did you just piss yourself whilst driving then?
  • Jokes aside, I reckon that's what helped ruin my bladder and kidneys, holding my pisses in. Used to go all day with out going and then spend all night up and down to go toilet.

A doctor once told me that the more you hold it the more it stretches to the point it won't work anymore
  • edited November 2017
    Double post

I was proud of myself last night. Managed to drive all the way home from Birmingham without needing to stop for a piss.
    You only live in Sutton Coldfield though. :-)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!