Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Fiiish said:

You all use phrases or colloquialisms your parents would have thought was 'bad grammar' or 'gibberish'. Ever said Will do, see you soon, "alright?", cheers, or piss off? None are shining examples of the Queen's English but common phrases none the less.

*were*

Don't normally get too involved in spelling and grammar but I know you know better....l
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

You all use phrases or colloquialisms your parents would have thought was 'bad grammar' or 'gibberish'. Ever said Will do, see you soon, "alright?", cheers, or piss off? None are shining examples of the Queen's English but common phrases none the less.

Go away, 'My bad' is utter pish. Go on admit it, you use it.....
    So what if I do? Most people under the age of 40 do as well.

Is your irritation at what the younger generation say the same irritation younger people get whenever older folks says things like 'download from the google' or 'my email box is full'?
    Maybe, if you're from Sevenoaks or Chichester
    Heard it loads in places like Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, London. Maybe you don't hear it often in rural France for some reason.
    Not with the French, but a lot of the middle class Londoners Australian, Kiwi, Home County types I deal with, are the sorts who would use It, as they're also partial to "can I get..... " and so I'm always ready to punch em in the throat in case they do
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Go away, 'My bad' is utter pish. Go on admit it, you use it.....
    So what if I do? Most people under the age of 40 do as well.

Is your irritation at what the younger generation say the same irritation younger people get whenever older folks says things like 'download from the google' or 'my email box is full'?
    Maybe, if you're from Sevenoaks or Chichester
    Heard it loads in places like Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, London. Maybe you don't hear it often in rural France for some reason.
    Not with the French, but a lot of the middle class Londoners Australian, Kiwi, Home County types I deal with, are the sorts who would use It, as they're also partial to "can I get..... " and so I'm always ready to punch em in the throat in case they do
    On that we're agreed, can I get is just shite.
  • Good to see everyone getting along... Fiish you are in the middle of it again... Someone must be having his afternoon nap, otherwise he would be having a field day with grammar.
  • The term “fake news” has been named Collins' Word of the Year 2017.

erm - that's 2 words surely?
  • Agree bob but does it really annoy you?
  • Agree bob but does it really annoy you?

Indeed it does.
  • Anyone that uses the term 'The Sesh' when going out
  • Sponsored links:

• Of course the Daily Mail would take issue with the perversion of the term 'Nazi'.
  • People who don't follow the 07xxx xxx xxx phone number format for mobiles (and 020x xxx xxxx for landline)

Good one Yoni - being in telesales numbers and area codes are a big thing for me

Copying and pasting a number from a website into our crm really winds me up if not written as above

Everyone knows it's "A sesh" surely?
  • cabbles said:

People who don't follow the 07xxx xxx xxx phone number format for mobiles (and 020x xxx xxxx for landline)

Good one Yoni - being in telesales numbers and area codes are a big thing for me

Copying and pasting a number from a website into our crm really winds me up if not written as above
    Mobile numbers here consist of 9 digits, beginning with the number 9. The simple way would be 9XX XXX XXX but for some reason a lot of people write it 9X XXXXXXX.

Unique.

Bit like -

"We're not going out, we're going out out"
  • What do you get if you cross Hannah Reid, Gordon Sumner and Charlton Life?

The London Grammar Police.

(Saunters out the door with coat in hand)
  • When a friend invites a group of you out for dinner to celebrate his retirement having said he will pay for dinner, then on arrival announcing he is paying for the drinks (just the drinks). The 10 of us then asking for separate bills as a result and the restaurant owner huffing about it, even though without us he would have had 3 people in all night. And then half way through the starter cracking a tooth.

I have had better nights out... :cry:
  • When a friend invites a group of you out for dinner to celebrate his retirement having said he will pay for dinner, then on arrival announcing he is paying for the drinks (just the drinks). The 10 of us then asking for separate bills as a result and the restaurant owner huffing about it, even though without us he would have had 3 people in all night. And then half way through the starter cracking a tooth.

I’d have been ordering champagne and cocktails all night if he was paying for the drInks

I’d have been ordering champagne and cocktails all night if he was paying for the drInks
    I might have just gone home.
  • Sponsored links:

It was tempting... we did have a more expensive bottle of wine than usual, and another mate was on G & T rather than his usual beer or cider....
  • iainment said:

When a friend invites a group of you out for dinner to celebrate his retirement having said he will pay for dinner, then on arrival announcing he is paying for the drinks (just the drinks). The 10 of us then asking for separate bills as a result and the restaurant owner huffing about it, even though without us he would have had 3 people in all night. And then half way through the starter cracking a tooth.

I might have just gone home.
    We had enough money on us to pay, if we hadn't then we might well have done so Iainment. I really did feel like it once my tooth went.
  • Fiiish said:

bbob said:

Fiiish said:

T_C_E said:

Hearing an English teacher ask a pupil to return a book to the front of the class. She replied that she had, the teacher then says " My Bad" :(

The teacher used a perfectly normal and acceptable colloquialism. What a monster.
    My Bad is not acceptable, it's gibberish.
    Better write to Cambridge University and let them know your undoubtedly qualified opinion.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/my-bad

Teachers ought to encouraged to speak in terms accessible to those they are teaching instead of enforcing what the previous generation might consider to be better English (in their own opinion).
    The problem with this is when it reaches the real world. A teacher might deem "my bad", "innit" or any other nonsense phrase that they think endears them to the "kids" as appropriate, but when that pupil sits in front of a future employer in the professional world and utters such gibberish, then they aren't going far. If teachers (and Cambridge University) have any aspirations for their pupils, then they should stick to what is appropriate, rather than what is seen as cool (and the same goes for tattoos all over your body and the inability to tuck a shirt in / polish a pair of shoes...)
  • edited November 2017
    Out with the dog this morning and saw a woman pulling out of a junction with a cereal bowl (with a spoon in it) in one hand and the other hand on the steering wheel. I had to take a second look, as I just couldn't believe it.
  • Fiiish said:

bbob said:

Fiiish said:

T_C_E said:

Hearing an English teacher ask a pupil to return a book to the front of the class. She replied that she had, the teacher then says " My Bad" :(

The teacher used a perfectly normal and acceptable colloquialism. What a monster.
    My Bad is not acceptable, it's gibberish.
    Better write to Cambridge University and let them know your undoubtedly qualified opinion.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/my-bad

Teachers ought to encouraged to speak in terms accessible to those they are teaching instead of enforcing what the previous generation might consider to be better English (in their own opinion).
    The problem with this is when it reaches the real world. A teacher might deem "my bad", "innit" or any other nonsense phrase that they think endears them to the "kids" as appropriate, but when that pupil sits in front of a future employer in the professional world and utters such gibberish, then they aren't going far. If teachers (and Cambridge University) have any aspirations for their pupils, then they should stick to what is appropriate, rather than what is seen as cool (and the same goes for tattoos all over your body and the inability to tuck a shirt in / polish a pair of shoes...)
    Bit of a hyperbole there. You consider it a nonsense phrase. Most people don't, hence why it has entered the common lexicon. I imagine you've never attended any kind of teacher training or pedagogy lesson, because probably the quickest way to turn off your students is to reprimand them for the way they talk when it has nothing to do with the lesson at hand. If they are being given training for an interview then yes, by all means teach them that employers will expect formal conversation and to avoid colloquialisms. Otherwise just carry on with the lesson. Teachers have far more to be getting on with than trying to get their students to speak in the what the previous generation considers to be formal language. Also a bit out of order for someone who is a guest in the classroom to come on here behind their back and criticise the teacher when they themselves don't seem to have as good a grasp on the English language as they think. Seems like the only person who would have had a problem with what happened in that classroom was the one person who didn't even need to be there.
  • Out with the dog this morning and saw a woman pulling out of a junction with a cereal bowl (with a spoon in it) in one hand and the other hand on the steering wheel. I had to take a second look, as I just couldn't believe it.

That's bananas.

• Moulded rubber plugs. What's wrong with being able to unscrew it, fix it and screw it back up?
  • Out with the dog this morning and saw a woman pulling out of a junction with a cereal bowl (with a spoon in it) in one hand and the other hand on the steering wheel. I had to take a second look, as I just couldn't believe it.

Can't imagine a cyclist doing that. ;-).

Three Weetabix? :
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!