Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• 30 Morgan Fox threads on the go at the same time
  • 30 Morgan Fox threads on the go at the same time

All of them appreciating him I bet
  • Yeah my mums husband worked out it would cost around a grand to build your own shitty back to the future dolorien.

You could probably buy a working car for not much more (note have not checked prices)
  • edited January 2017
    Oh it would cost you best part of £40k for a full sized version in mint condition that runs.

Anyway, point still applies.
  • Wanky magazine collect and build your own XYZ

There is one being advised at the moment to build your own R2D2, gives it all the "first edition only £2.99" bollox but the small print at the bottom of the screen points out that it's normally £8.99 and you will need to buy 100 editions to complete it!

Fuck that, nearly £900 for a fucking toy that you have to put together yourself!

I remember there was a Suburu remote control car one years ago that was like that... thought it would be a good idea to try and build so just went down a model shop in Eltham and got the whole kit to build at once for a fraction of the price
  • Oh it would cost you best part of £40k for a full sized version in mint condition that runs.

Anyway, point still applies.

£40k for a time machine? I'm getting two!

• Wanky magazine collect and build your own XYZ

There is one being advised at the moment to build your own R2D2, gives it all the "first edition only £2.99" bollox but the small print at the bottom of the screen points out that it's normally £8.99 and you will need to buy 100 editions to complete it!

Fuck that, nearly £900 for a fucking toy that you have to put together yourself!

I remember there was a Suburu remote control car one years ago that was like that... thought it would be a good idea to try and build so just went down a model shop in Eltham and got the whole kit to build at once for a fraction of the price
    I've got that Suburu model in my loft. I used to buy the magazine for my son, it was never ending. After you finished building the kit it didn't stop, there was upgrades to the the suspension, motor, etc. Cost an absolute fortune I could have saved the money and bought my boy a real one. But it was a nice father and son thing to do. I still have unopened bits of model parts and their magazines together with the car in the loft.
    Another one was build your own robot, (in the loft also).That was actually quite good,Reading university were involved in its development. My mother bought that one for my son for what seemed to be years, that really did cost loads.
    I know I could have gone to model shop or bought him some more lego instead and probably saved a fair bit but I do think these type of magazines are a good way for children to learn. They get a bit to read and a bit to do for for about half an hour, just enough to keep their attention.
  • Carter said:

Fruit machine players

It's not so common now but back in the day I used to hate going for a beer with a couple of my mates as they would start fingering R2D2 as soon as we entered any pub and you end up standing around like a spare prick at a wedding whilst they pump their wages into a fruity.

Quiz machines are a huge improvement - much more social.
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:

People that stand in front of the barriers in the underground looking through pockets for a ticket.

following on from this, id like to add dickheads that watch the till operator scan 68 items in a shop... then decide to count every single piece of change in there pocket, before settling for contactless payment
  • Country hopping athletes
  • Country hopping athletes

Wow, they must have powerful leg muscles.
  • People who call ketchup 'red sauce'.

Every one knows it's called Tommy sauce.
  • Facebook

So I've come off it . Full of utter tosspots and most of the stuff on my feed is people I know liking pictures of people I don't know getting engaged or having babies. Zzzzzzzzz
  • Addick93 said:

MrLargo said:

ross1 said:

Left school at 15, did not take any exams. Served a 6-year apprenticeship, then spent the rest of my life in well paid interesting jobs, and have now retired, not rich by any means, but do not need to worry about bills etc, paid my mortgage up in my 50s, I have had regular overseas holidays for the few years, and a decent car. Isn't this what most people want? If you want to go to Uni, fine, but not necessary to have a good life.

Very different now though mate, you grew up in more sensible times - a small percentage of school leavers went to university (5-10%?), their degrees were worthwhile and helped them get a decent job and they didn't start adult life with a crippling debt. The fact that there weren't huge numbers of graduates floating around meant that those without degrees weren't prevented from getting good careers - get your foot in the door, prove you can do a good job and the rest will look after itself.

Thanks to the wonderful theory that everyone should be allowed to go to university, we now have thousands of graduates every year, many obtaining degrees in ridiculously futile subjects, and (apart from the ones who's parents can pay them through) they start their adult life with a huge debt (£20k to £30k?!) when they should be trying to start saving the astronomical amount they need to buy a house. University has become an extension of sixth form college, but youngsters feel they need to go to just to give themselves a chance of getting a decent job. For those that haven't got degrees, there are lots of doors that are completely closed to you, especially when you're starting out.

I'm 36 now, and it becomes less and less relevant as you get older but I still see jobs advertised, that I really fancy and know I could do well, where the job description states that "you should have a degree at 2.2 or higher".

That's not to say that if you're bright enough and determined enough you can't still have a great career without a degree, but it's a lot more difficult now than it used to be.
    I would have to disagree with the debt issue, in that although fees for university are much higher than they should be the money owed is not taken into account when applying for things like mortgages etc. You have to earn above a certain amount to start paying it off and even then it is effectively the same as paying for something like Sky once a month. It is an inconvenience yes, but I wouldn't say that it's crippling, and shouldn't put people off of going to university if they wish to.
    Sorry mate have to disagree with you about the debt thing. The new system js better in some ways but is terrible for anyone with ambition but from a family without money.

Let's use a hypothetical student Charlton fan let's call him Hantersaddick he's from an average family not a huge amount of money but own their home and live comfortably. No way could they pay his uni fees upfront so he's gone for the loan option. Now Hantersaddick is ambitious and works hard and wants to do well. He has completed a years work before returning to finish uni and will be going into a good job after graduation (assuming he doesn't cock it up by spending too much time on some football website called Parlton life).

Now the 'you don't have to pay it off until you earn above a certain point' argument let's look at that. The point is 21000 (fixed, not rising with inflation so basically a real terms fall every year). Show me a graduate job that doesn't pay more than 21000. Any student with ambition should be expecting to earn that fairly quickly and with reasonable progression will earn and fair chuck more. And that's where they kill you. Because it suddenly stops becoming and loan and starts becoming a tax. So if you have a reasonable job with good career progression but can't pay it off early you can easily pay back 10 times what you borrowed. Read money saving expert Martin Lewis on this.

Let's talk about the interest rate, 3% above RPI (notice how they use RPI when you have to pay it and CPI when they have to pay it). That's a big chunk of money. And interest is charged from the second you take the loan out, the old system it was from graduation. So when you finally enter the job market with 35grand debt (if you're lucky) you have to earn 42grand a year just to pay the interest. If you earn less than that your total debt rises every year.

So you are in the terrible situation of, do I pay it off early and delay getting a deposit for a house for 10 years. Do I murder my parents so I can get a house and pay it off. Or do I accept that I am paying an ever increasing chunk of my pay cheque every month as an extra tax.

Our friend Hantersaddick is favouring the murder your family option.
    The thing is canters if they don't borrow the money they won't be going to uni.
    I have a mate though his daughter is 14 his been saving for ages though for when she goes to uni
    He is telling me that although the money will be there he will still get her to get what money she can
  • Charlton not playing in the FA Cup third round.

• Redhenry said:

Charlton not playing in the FA Cup third round.

If (hopefully) Millwall get injuries or a sending off, that will do me
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:

Facebook

So I've come off it . Full of utter tosspots and most of the stuff on my feed is people I know liking pictures of people I don't know getting engaged or having babies. Zzzzzzzzz

I came off it a while back. Despite some people being your 'friends', you end up getting wound up with them depending on what they post etc. For me it's become a platform for everyone to talk about how great they are etc.

The stuff about what people put up after weddings really gets me. They're cocking over themselves to put the most superlatives into their thoughts on the day.

If I wasn't on these sodding dating apps that link to FB in most cases, I'd have deleted the whole thing
  • Essentially a big part of my personality is being a bit victor meldrew and that doesn't fit into today's world of pissing brunch's and photos of tough mudder.

I don't put a photo up of me waiting at anchor and hope lane for the dj coach before an away game, why should I be exposed to people's gentrified shite
  • People who call ketchup 'red sauce'.

Every one knows it's called Tommy sauce.
    'Tomato sauce' is acceptable.

'Tommy K' is definitely not.
  • clb74 said:

Addick93 said:

MrLargo said:

ross1 said:

Left school at 15, did not take any exams. Served a 6-year apprenticeship, then spent the rest of my life in well paid interesting jobs, and have now retired, not rich by any means, but do not need to worry about bills etc, paid my mortgage up in my 50s, I have had regular overseas holidays for the few years, and a decent car. Isn't this what most people want? If you want to go to Uni, fine, but not necessary to have a good life.

Very different now though mate, you grew up in more sensible times - a small percentage of school leavers went to university (5-10%?), their degrees were worthwhile and helped them get a decent job and they didn't start adult life with a crippling debt. The fact that there weren't huge numbers of graduates floating around meant that those without degrees weren't prevented from getting good careers - get your foot in the door, prove you can do a good job and the rest will look after itself.

Thanks to the wonderful theory that everyone should be allowed to go to university, we now have thousands of graduates every year, many obtaining degrees in ridiculously futile subjects, and (apart from the ones who's parents can pay them through) they start their adult life with a huge debt (£20k to £30k?!) when they should be trying to start saving the astronomical amount they need to buy a house. University has become an extension of sixth form college, but youngsters feel they need to go to just to give themselves a chance of getting a decent job. For those that haven't got degrees, there are lots of doors that are completely closed to you, especially when you're starting out.

I'm 36 now, and it becomes less and less relevant as you get older but I still see jobs advertised, that I really fancy and know I could do well, where the job description states that "you should have a degree at 2.2 or higher".

That's not to say that if you're bright enough and determined enough you can't still have a great career without a degree, but it's a lot more difficult now than it used to be.
    I would have to disagree with the debt issue, in that although fees for university are much higher than they should be the money owed is not taken into account when applying for things like mortgages etc. You have to earn above a certain amount to start paying it off and even then it is effectively the same as paying for something like Sky once a month. It is an inconvenience yes, but I wouldn't say that it's crippling, and shouldn't put people off of going to university if they wish to.
    Sorry mate have to disagree with you about the debt thing. The new system js better in some ways but is terrible for anyone with ambition but from a family without money.

Let's use a hypothetical student Charlton fan let's call him Hantersaddick he's from an average family not a huge amount of money but own their home and live comfortably. No way could they pay his uni fees upfront so he's gone for the loan option. Now Hantersaddick is ambitious and works hard and wants to do well. He has completed a years work before returning to finish uni and will be going into a good job after graduation (assuming he doesn't cock it up by spending too much time on some football website called Parlton life).

Now the 'you don't have to pay it off until you earn above a certain point' argument let's look at that. The point is 21000 (fixed, not rising with inflation so basically a real terms fall every year). Show me a graduate job that doesn't pay more than 21000. Any student with ambition should be expecting to earn that fairly quickly and with reasonable progression will earn and fair chuck more. And that's where they kill you. Because it suddenly stops becoming and loan and starts becoming a tax. So if you have a reasonable job with good career progression but can't pay it off early you can easily pay back 10 times what you borrowed. Read money saving expert Martin Lewis on this.

Let's talk about the interest rate, 3% above RPI (notice how they use RPI when you have to pay it and CPI when they have to pay it). That's a big chunk of money. And interest is charged from the second you take the loan out, the old system it was from graduation. So when you finally enter the job market with 35grand debt (if you're lucky) you have to earn 42grand a year just to pay the interest. If you earn less than that your total debt rises every year.

So you are in the terrible situation of, do I pay it off early and delay getting a deposit for a house for 10 years. Do I murder my parents so I can get a house and pay it off. Or do I accept that I am paying an ever increasing chunk of my pay cheque every month as an extra tax.

Our friend Hantersaddick is favouring the murder your family option.
    The thing is canters if they don't borrow the money they won't be going to uni.
    I have a mate though his daughter is 14 his been saving for ages though for when she goes to uni
    He is telling me that although the money will be there he will still get her to get what money she can
    Of course. No way could I have gone room uni (and still be studying now) without the loan system. But that's why I think it's so criminal. For the majority of people it's the only way they can afford to go. Only the 'born rich' can afford not to and they are the ones who arguably should be paying the most 'grad tax'. Yet the rich effectively pay far less for their education because their parents can pay it up front. Those of us who are not born to stupidly rich families have no option to take the loan and are lumbered with 30 years of 9% grad tax.
  • IdleHans said:

People putting up their winning accumulators on the betting thread AFTER they've won, not before.

People putting up their solitary annual win and not the other 51 weeks where they have blown their stake.
  • Mick Whelan
  • Useless people.
  • The common practice nowadays of addressing a room of men and women with the word 'guys'. Fuck off. It's birds and blokes.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!