Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• When I talk about petrol with my family... No we're not fanatics on the subject.

i.e. I've got a diesel car and I'll turn round to my parents and say; Oh you should go down to Sainsburys, their petrol is really cheap at the moment and I always get the response of: But you've got a diesel car so you should be saying your getting diesel instead of petrol.

My issue is that I see the words: Petrol and Fuel as the same thing (i.e. To me they're called Petrol Stations)

Its like when you go to do Housework...

Am not going to Vacuum the house I'm going to Hoover the house yet dont have a Hoover make

Tell them that diesel is derived from petroleum, so technically you are correct.
  • Fiiish said:

When I talk about petrol with my family... No we're not fanatics on the subject.

i.e. I've got a diesel car and I'll turn round to my parents and say; Oh you should go down to Sainsburys, their petrol is really cheap at the moment and I always get the response of: But you've got a diesel car so you should be saying your getting diesel instead of petrol.

My issue is that I see the words: Petrol and Fuel as the same thing (i.e. To me they're called Petrol Stations)

Am not going to Vacuum the house I'm going to Hoover the house yet dont have a Hoover make

Tell them that diesel is derived from petroleum, so technically you are correct.
    I just see Fuel as a very American word and see Petrol as the British version hence why
  • Fiiish said:

When I talk about petrol with my family... No we're not fanatics on the subject.

I just see Fuel as a very American word and see Petrol as the British version hence why
    Surely the American work is GAS
  • Greenie said:

People who think that because they went to university and got a distinction that they are intelligent, it seldom goes hand in hand as proven.
    3-4 years of someone telling you things that you remember and then are tested on, is not the same as intelligence, you just remembered a load of stuff, and formed an opinion. ;o)

I 50% maybe 60% agree with you there

Most of that is made up of jealousy having never educated myself beyond GCSE level. What I will say makes degree's valuable is the proof that you have the capacity to learn and stick at something and see it through. Even if the degree is in alien biology or Egyptian writing.

Unfortunately my experience tells me graduates now days are coming into such a competitive market they are loaded up with responsibility they don't have the experience or emotional intelligence to handle properly. And in my workplace apprentices are infinitely more valuable because they already know the ropes and have been educated just as well but practically also.

The 50-60% agreement is because I have had more than one graduate look me in the eye and I have heard the utter nonsense spew from their cockhole. You can't argue with some people or debate with them and I'm not convinced putting people in positions of immediate rank just because they have degrees is sensible, I take my hat off to anyone who has got one though. Luke I say probably jealousy on my part for having to work since school and missing out on shagging and drinking my way through a load of like minded women.

Good post that Greenie
  • I dont have a Degree either... My approach to work is that I have to work my arse off because I dont have the qualifications to get me through life so need to show I'm a really hard worker to get that promotion etc... Have worked with other people like that too.

When I was a Team Leader I had a couple of Graduates working beneath me and I've worked with Graduates in other jobs and they really had the attitude of: "I've got a Degree, I know that'll get me through life so dont need to work quite so hard".

I'm sure not everyone is like that (and I'm not in a Management position at the moment) yet if ever I was and if I ever have to employ someone again, I'll really be reluctant to take on someone with a Degree because of that attitude they seem to have!!
  • The constant calls for a Winter Break in English Football as every major League in Europe has one...

Funny sort of break from Football... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4090160/Julian-Draxler-Giovani-Lo-Celso-make-Paris-Saint-Germain-debuts-win-Tunisian-Club-Africain.html
  • edited January 2017
    Greenie said:

Carter said:

Greenie said:

People who think that because they went to university and got a distinction that they are intelligent, it seldom goes hand in hand as proven.
    3-4 years of someone telling you things that you remember and then are tested on, is not the same as intelligence, you just remembered a load of stuff, and formed an opinion. ;o)

Most of that is made up of jealousy having never educated myself beyond GCSE level. What I will say makes degree's valuable is the proof that you have the capacity to learn and stick at something and see it through. Even if the degree is in alien biology or Egyptian writing.

Unfortunately my experience tells me graduates now days are coming into such a competitive market they are loaded up with responsibility they don't have the experience or emotional intelligence to handle properly. And in my workplace apprentices are infinitely more valuable because they already know the ropes and have been educated just as well but practically also.

The 50-60% agreement is because I have had more than one graduate look me in the eye and I have heard the utter nonsense spew from their cockhole. You can't argue with some people or debate with them and I'm not convinced putting people in positions of immediate rank just because they have degrees is sensible, I take my hat off to anyone who has got one though. Luke I say probably jealousy on my part for having to work since school and missing out on shagging and drinking my way through a load of like minded women.

Good post that Greenie
    It was partly tongue in cheek, however like you I have had experience of working with Uni bods thinking that anyone who never went to Uni are thickies when the reality is spun 180 degrees (see what I did there).
    A prime example is my middle brother, he is head of Computer Programming (whatever thats called these days) for an American Bank, and is financially secure for life now. But he left school in 1981 with a handful of O levels, joined Lloyds bank as a trainee and worked his way up, worked in Canada and had his own EU company before taking the USA job based in London. He has ex colleagues, some are his own age who he would like to employ because he knows they are mustard, however when he approaches HR they say that because the person does not have a degree that cant employ them, the person(s) that set the rules has a degree and they think that is all that is needed, he then gets sent some wet behind the ears graduate who is pony at their job and needs training, that surely cant be right, can it?
    I completely agree. You only have to glance at Twitter to see the utter nonsense spouted by university graduates.

What's annoying is that the mere mention of my education (which I used as an example, not as a comment on mine or anyone else's intelligence or to show I am better than anyone else) has been jumped on by a handful of people who didn't bother reading it in context. Out of all my close friends only a small portion of them actually have degrees but I would never consider any of them less intelligent for this. Seems there are quite a few people though who have a deep-held hatred or suspicion towards those who do hold degrees, given the hostile reaction I received for simply mentioning it (and insecure unpleasant individuals who use phrases like "experts" when they spout such views).
  • I dont have a Degree either... My approach to work is that I have to work my arse off because I dont have the qualifications to get me through life so need to show I'm a really hard worker to get that promotion etc... Have worked with other people like that too.

When I was a Team Leader I had a couple of Graduates working beneath me and I've worked with Graduates in other jobs and they really had the attitude of: "I've got a Degree, I know that'll get me through life so dont need to work quite so hard".

I'm sure not everyone is like that (and I'm not in a Management position at the moment) yet if ever I was and if I ever have to employ someone again, I'll really be reluctant to take on someone with a Degree because of that attitude they seem to have!!

I find this hard to believe, only because every man and his dog under the age of 30 has a degree which has completely devalued them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Carter said:

Greenie said:

Good post that Greenie
    It was partly tongue in cheek, however like you I have had experience of working with Uni bods thinking that anyone who never went to Uni are thickies when the reality is spun 180 degrees (see what I did there).
    A prime example is my middle brother, he is head of Computer Programming (whatever thats called these days) for an American Bank, and is financially secure for life now. But he left school in 1981 with a handful of O levels, joined Lloyds bank as a trainee and worked his way up, worked in Canada and had his own EU company before taking the USA job based in London. He has ex colleagues, some are his own age who he would like to employ because he knows they are mustard, however when he approaches HR they say that because the person does not have a degree that cant employ them, the person(s) that set the rules has a degree and they think that is all that is needed, he then gets sent some wet behind the ears graduate who is pony at their job and needs training, that surely cant be right, can it?
    I completely agree. You only have to glance at Twitter to see the utter nonsense spouted by university graduates.

What's annoying is that the mere mention of my education (which I used as an example, not as a comment on mine or anyone else's intelligence or to show I am better than anyone else) has been jumped on by a handful of people who didn't bother reading it in context. Out of all my close friends only a small portion of them actually have degrees but I would never consider any of them less intelligent for this. Seems there are quite a few people though who have a deep-held hatred or suspicion towards those who do hold degrees, given the hostile reaction I received for simply mentioning it (and insecure unpleasant individuals who use phrases like "experts" when they spout such views).
    Its not all about you, its a view I have held for many years.
  • edited January 2017
    I think the way apprenticeship funding was originally cut and university education was promoted was a disgrace and is. It is not yet fully being addressed.

For many people a university degree is a complete waste of time and apprenticeships are both money earning and can give better experience as well.

Some bookish types have no common sense, no practical sense and no emotional intelligence.

Takes all sorts I say.
  • I agree about the uni/degree comments.

Some people seem to think that you have to go to uni/get a degree to have achieved/be able to achieve. It's a constant argument between me and the wife, that when we have children she wants them to ultimately go to uni (like she did), where as I'm of the opinion that they should do what they want to do - simple as that.

I'm 31 and left school at 16 (which was the start of the generation where it was unusual to do that) with just some average (all C's) GCSE's. Without a uni education I've managed to be a chartered accountant and have a reasonable job imo. My brother, who is a few years younger than me, followed suit in leaving school when he could and is also doing well for himself and neither of us have had any uni debt to worry about.

And I don't say the above in a boasty way. It came through a lot of hard work. At 17 (2002) I was earning a pathetic £50 a week on an apprentice scheme, so working all day then coming home and doing a paper round every night of the week to make the money up. Have also spent years doing ad-hoc horrible jobs on the side so I could afford to do what I wanted to do.

Don't get me wrong, University is a good thing and if you want/need that degree then go for it, but I just don't like the fact that people look down on you if you didn't or don't plan to take that route, as though it's the only option available.

Fully agree with these comments. I've done ok in IT despite only having CSE (below o'levels) qualifications and told my 17 year old daughter that uni is not a must be thing and just do what you want to do. I've come across some very poor graduates working in IT and some very skilled workers with no degree.
  • Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Carter said:

Greenie said:

Good post that Greenie

Meant to add, but it wont let me edit is that many owners of degrees to look down on people who dont have them.
  • edited January 2017
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Carter said:

Greenie said:

Good post that Greenie

Meant to add, but it wont let me edit is that many owners of degrees to look down on people who dont have them.
    And vice versa.

It's small-minded to look down on anyone just because of their education, or to make assumptions (i.e. That they think they are better than you). Your original post was clearly referencing me when I had done nothing of the sort. And I certainly don't recognise the experience of 4 years of being told stuff to remember. Must have gone to the wrong school.
  • I genuinely believe that A-Levels (Nope dont have these either) are just as important as a Degree these days

The Degree appears an optional extra and skipping them will give you three years experience in the work place over the person who has gone on to University.

Of course there are some areas which will require a Degree (Doctors / Vets etc.)
  • edited January 2017
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Carter said:

Greenie said:

Good post that Greenie

Which is complete bullshit, not that there are people out there who think this, because there are, but that they can hold this opinion.
  • I genuinely believe that A-Levels (Nope dont have these either) are just as important as a Degree these days

The Degree appears an optional extra and skipping them will give you three years experience in the work place over the person who has gone on to University.

Of course there are some areas which will require a Degree (Doctors / Vets etc.)

Absolutely, I'd go a step further and say GCSE's are the fulcrum, without them you go to the absolute rear end of the queue for everything. I couldn't get an apprenticeship anywhere as I didn't stop dicking about at school. All sorts of shitty jobs before I got a decent job amd even then I've been overlooked for so much because whilst I have practical experience in bundles my CV as far as education goes is a bit bare. However I didn't get the experience overnight so have had to graft a bit harder and probably apply myself a bit more in the workplace than I envisaged doing when I was 16.

Get a trade, I was told. But that meant college and college could suck my big hairy swingers. So off into the world I went and learned the hard way.

Degrees are brilliant tools, however unfortunately for the degree holder they often aren't given the time to pick up experience and I'm probably guilty of this. Being asked to train someone with a degree has possibly got the wrong response from me in the past. I'd like to think I'm a bit more emotionally intelligent now and give everyone a chance but I'm not convinced the rest of the workforce is like that, in fact I know they are not.

What is the incentive for your average working class boy or girl who don't have affluent family members to support them? 3 years of racking up debt to then become a teacher and have the absolute piss taken out of you by the government working 60 hour weeks not to mention the arsehole kids. Or to train as a doctor and work harder and longer than is healthy for anyone earning fuck all.

• Sponsored links:

• I think it's all about the attitude of the individual and I think it's harsh the tarnish all graduates with the same brush....

I bet there's plenty of graduates working in the offices of South Eastern Trains. Just sayin'.......
  • I think it's all about the attitude of the individual and I think it's harsh the tarnish all graduates with the same brush....

This is the thing... It is ALL about the persons attitude and willingness to learn...

I'm someone who knows A LOT about History (i.e. Military and Historical events) as its a subject I've always enjoyed... I came out of Secondary School (in 2000) with an "E" Grade in GCSE History because the exam was just seven questions, each question you were given a historical newspaper caricature (like the below)...

You were left to explain what was going on in the drawing and explain what it meant etc. The result of which left me with the explained qualification which makes me look less intelligent about History when in truth

(1) It seems as though I'd taken an Art exam instead of a History exam

(2) I'm the type that know a lot of information, I've got a lot of common sense yet when it comes to exams I'm one of the type to fall to pieces (i.e. it took me four attempts to pass my Driving Test but am an excellent driver).

Why should I be held back just because someone is better when it comes to exams than me?

This is the thing... It is ALL about the persons attitude and willingness to learn...

I'm someone who knows A LOT about History (i.e. Military and Historical events) as its a subject I've always enjoyed... I came out of Secondary School (in 2000) with an "E" Grade in GCSE History because the exam was just seven questions, each question you were given a historical newspaper caricature (like the below)...

You were left to explain what was going on in the drawing and explain what it meant etc. The result of which left me with the explained qualification which makes me look less intelligent about History when in truth

(2) I'm the type that know a lot of information, I've got a lot of common sense yet when it comes to exams I'm one of the type to fall to pieces (i.e. it took me four attempts to pass my Driving Test but am an excellent driver).

Why should I be held back just because someone is better when it comes to exams than me?
    This reminds me of my A level Geography exams, there were 2 of them. The 1st one was about 60 questions and the second was just the 1 question that you had to answer in depth. I got an A in the 60 question paper and a U in the 1 question paper as I didn't understand the question. My predicted grade was a C which is what I got in the end but my teacher couldn't believe the way in which I had got it.

This reminds me of my A level Geography exams, there were 2 of them. The 1st one was about 60 questions and the second was just the 1 question that you had to answer in depth. I got an A in the 60 question paper and a U in the 1 question paper as I didn't understand the question. My predicted grade was a C which is what I got in the end but my teacher couldn't believe the way in which I had got it.
    Maybe its the approach they should take... Two Exams for each subject:

(1) The first last 60-mins... With a least 60 multiple choice questions (So you get less than a minute to answer each question)... testing how quick you are to think and process the answer

(2) The second is then your typical written / practical exam which is done as per current standards
  • Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Carter said:

Greenie said:

Good post that Greenie

And vice versa.

It's small-minded to look down on anyone just because of their education, or to make assumptions (i.e. That they think they are better than you). Your original post was clearly referencing me when I had done nothing of the sort. And I certainly don't recognise the experience of 4 years of being told stuff to remember. Must have gone to the wrong school.
    But thats how you come across, you have referenced your education a few times on here mate, at the risk of sounding patronising, its important to you, obviously, but really the rest of the world dont really care.
    Agree about not looking down at people with different levels of education, one of mates Dads didnt learn to read and write until he was 45, but by that time he was a millionaire, his dad was a rag and bone man and he started as a lighterman on the Thames, went on to own one of the biggest car dealership in the UK and was a freeman of London, a brighter mind I have yet to meet.
  • MrLargo said:

I think it's all about the attitude of the individual and I think it's harsh the tarnish all graduates with the same brush....

I bet there's plenty of graduates working in the offices of South Eastern Trains. Just sayin'.......
    Fuck em all!
  • MrLargo said:

I think it's all about the attitude of the individual and I think it's harsh the tarnish all graduates with the same brush....

Fuck em all!
    (1) Might take a while if there its a large office
    (2) What if they're all men?
  • MrLargo said:

Fuck em all!
    (2) What if they're all men?</</b>blockquote>

Grit your teeth or lube up
  • MrLargo said:

Fuck em all!
    (2) What if they're all men?
    Very good!
  • Can always count on @DaveMehmet to show up at the right time
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!