Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Brown shoes with a blue, black or grey suit.

i thought you was a powelly fan, he swore by rubbish brown brogues in a suit

• And look where he ended up...Huddersfield, be careful out there fashionistas.
  • Brown shoes with a blue, black or grey suit.

i thought you was a powelly fan, he swore by rubbish brown brogues in a suit

what's wrong with brown shoes and a grey suit?

fair enough with black or blue... but don't be picking on the grey man.
  • Blue Suede Shoes
  • edited April 2015
    The amount of threads titled 'General things that...' that I am seeing when I log on to CL nowadays
  • Do they also confuse you?
  • The amount of threads titled 'General things that...' that I am seeing when I log on to CL nowadays

I actually think it could run and run. General things that people talk about after making love, General things that people consider doing with their hair. General things that people wouldn't put in their mouths. I'm almost inspired to launch my own 'General Things' forum.
  • The narrative and style of reporting the evening standard takes when discussing some pathetic new 'app' they've found. Today's pointless article was an 'app' that can find a plumber, book a taxi and order a pizza. This isn't news. It's a bland paper shoving more shit down my throat from a world I become increasingly wound up by. Find me an 'app' that can take a shit for me and write an angry diatribe on this thread, I'd be up for reading about that
  • Spreadable butter...because it's not!
  • The amount of threads titled 'General things that...' that I am seeing when I log on to CL nowadays

I actually think it could run and run. General things that people talk about after making love, General things that people consider doing with their hair. General things that people wouldn't put in their mouths. I'm almost inspired to launch my own 'General Things' forum.
    Ah, we must be very different people then because all of those variations you've just listed belong in this thread for me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Spreadable butter...because it's not!

Yes! Lurpak very guilty of this recently.

I actually think it could run and run. General things that people talk about after making love,
    Spreadable Butter

General things that people consider doing with their hair.

Spreadable Butter

General things that people wouldn't put in their mouths.

Spreadable Butter

I'm almost inspired to launch my own 'General Things' forum.

I think @NomadicAddick might have it right
  • When someone agrees with me on charlton life but doesn't like my comment.

And the fact that somebody will probably agree with this comment deliberately and not like it...
  • Tonight? Nothing.

Wonder why.
  • @cabbles spreadable shit app being bloody android only grrr
  • Caring about LOLs, Likes, retweets, favourites etc - when did we become so in need of minor validation?

I see what you did there , very sneaky!
  • People who post on CL just looking for likes.
  • Colleagues Car Parks. Someone else is your colleague. not you, so everyone except you can park there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ours not being one of the live games on Saturday.
  • MrLargo said:

Staff at food chains such as Pret A Manger and Eat having wacky banter behind the counter whilst preparing my coffee, then presenting it to me like it's a f*%king cocktail - "one strrroooong caaaaappuuuucino!!!".

Shut up and calm down. In England, it is completely inappropriate and unacceptable to indulge in any form of jollity or cheeriness before 11am on a working day. So stop it.

On a similar note, paid my first and last visit to the "Wasabi" chain the other day. Picked up a salad, took it to the till, asked for a knife and fork and got told by the gentleman behind the counter that I was "crazy". Apparently it's "crazy" to eat a salad with a knife and fork - it should be eaten either with chopsticks or just a fork. Anything else is "crazy".

Sorry, "mate". I'm actually not "crazy", I just asked for a knife so that I could hammer it into your eyeball whilst you repeat after me "the customer is always right, the customer is always right".

Note to self: support independent businesses.

Not all independent businesses. Monmouth Coffee in Covent Garden is the worst for this. All women that work there between the ages of 25-40, probably ride a bike with a basket on the front to work and on weekends they sit on Clapham common reading 19th Century novels. They have a few taking orders who then shout over to those making the coffee. Someone will order a cappuccino to drink in and the shout is 'single cappuccino in ceramic'....what a load of bollocks.
    That's very true. Coffee shops these days are a minefield of pretentiousness. I can picture the women you're describing - when they're not riding to work looking like an extra from Darling Buds of May, you can 100% guarantee that they'll have their face buried in a book whilst strolling along the road, completely oblivious to the poor sods trying to negotiate a route past them.
  • MrLargo said:

Staff at food chains such as Pret A Manger and Eat having wacky banter behind the counter whilst preparing my coffee, then presenting it to me like it's a f*%king cocktail - "one strrroooong caaaaappuuuucino!!!".

Shut up and calm down. In England, it is completely inappropriate and unacceptable to indulge in any form of jollity or cheeriness before 11am on a working day. So stop it.

On a similar note, paid my first and last visit to the "Wasabi" chain the other day. Picked up a salad, took it to the till, asked for a knife and fork and got told by the gentleman behind the counter that I was "crazy". Apparently it's "crazy" to eat a salad with a knife and fork - it should be eaten either with chopsticks or just a fork. Anything else is "crazy".

Sorry, "mate". I'm actually not "crazy", I just asked for a knife so that I could hammer it into your eyeball whilst you repeat after me "the customer is always right, the customer is always right".

Not all independent businesses. Monmouth Coffee in Covent Garden is the worst for this. All women that work there between the ages of 25-40, probably ride a bike with a basket on the front to work and on weekends they sit on Clapham common reading 19th Century novels. They have a few taking orders who then shout over to those making the coffee. Someone will order a cappuccino to drink in and the shout is 'single cappuccino in ceramic'....what a load of bollocks.
    I walk past that place twice a day.
    Its some sort of coffee mecca if you read some of the reviews. Apparently Elle Macpherson heads straight for it when in London, if you can really believe that.
    Never been in there probably never will, instead I carry on walking another 100 yards towards Bloomsbury, loads of decent independent cafes to pick up a coffee.
    Really annoys me, people and their coffee especially those frothy ones where they sit and spoon it their mouths.
    Or the syrup shots, must the most sickly drink man has created to date.
  • Never set foot in a UK coffee shop in my life and I never will. That way they can stay off my list of "General things that annoy you". You lot should do the same... :smiley:
  • cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

That's very true. Coffee shops these days are a minefield of pretentiousness. I can picture the women you're describing - when they're not riding to work looking like an extra from Darling Buds of May, you can 100% guarantee that they'll have their face buried in a book whilst strolling along the road, completely oblivious to the poor sods trying to negotiate a route past them.
    2 great posts from both of you. These places are symptomatic of a world that angers me to the core. I'll start with these over priced jazzy eateries offering me 'wraps' (It's just a filling with a different type of bread) or mizo soups (who knows, don't care). You can pay about £7 for each, very good value.

I don't do these coffee places purely because although I like a cup of coffee, I refuse to frequent a place where people say 'I'll have a skinny latte'. It's a white coffee. The whole poncy atmosphere just makes me cringe. I feel my whole identity being eroded simply by the surroundings, the people and the language used.

Put me in Whetherspoons Brockley Cross and I am right at home however. I can order a beer and burger with aplomb
    Isnt skinny latte made with skimmed milk rather than just being a white coffee ?

• MrOneLung said:

cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

2 great posts from both of you. These places are symptomatic of a world that angers me to the core. I'll start with these over priced jazzy eateries offering me 'wraps' (It's just a filling with a different type of bread) or mizo soups (who knows, don't care). You can pay about £7 for each, very good value.

I don't do these coffee places purely because although I like a cup of coffee, I refuse to frequent a place where people say 'I'll have a skinny latte'. It's a white coffee. The whole poncy atmosphere just makes me cringe. I feel my whole identity being eroded simply by the surroundings, the people and the language used.

Put me in Whetherspoons Brockley Cross and I am right at home however. I can order a beer and burger with aplomb
    Isnt skinny latte made with skimmed milk rather than just being a white coffee ?

Probably. In that case I want to hear a white coffee with skimmed milk.
  • edited April 2015
    cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

You know what, I really do get where you're coming from, but I'm rather partial to what my mum used to call; "A cup of coffee made with milk". (Although back then it was made with cheap instant coffee and a saucepan of milk which needed careful monitoring otherwise the cooker ends up a right mess). The thing is, if I ask for this or a "Milky coffee" or a "White Coffee", the, ahem 'barista' invariably won't know what I mean and may think I want a "White Americano" which, apparently, is what you and I probably refer to in everyday life as "A cup of coffee". Add to this that I'm trying to ease off on the calories, so I might want skimmed milk and it's just a bit inefficient to say "Oh, can you make it with skimmed milk please?" Also, when they are not native english speakers, they sometimes don't understand this. Furthermore, sometimes i want to drink it there, sometimes I need to take it away. I don't really mind using their paper cups whether I'm staying in or going out, but they'll sometimes ask me after I've ordered and I don't really want to continue the conversation. So in the end, it's just easier to ask for the brand names and generic code words they use as it gets you through the queue, you get what you ask for and no-one gets stressed other than the bloke standing behind me secretly fuming because I'm a grown man and I've just asked for a "Tall Skinny latte to go". (My money is on this being you, @cabbles) :wink:
    I have no doubt this makes me part of the problem, but, if I'm perfectly honest, I just want to be in and out as quick as possible, ending up with a tasty coffee in my hand. Life's too short. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!