Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who is currently YOUR first choice for the job ?

Comments

• Options
    Alan Pardew but if I had to choose......... Bid Sam
  • Options
    Billy Davies or Big Sam.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red Red Russ[/cite]Billy Davies or Big Sam.

We might win some matches or at least not lose so many, and should be able to grind out results.
    Don't expect any free flowing fancy football though, like the first 25 mins last night.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I know all that but we might be playing "25 minutes of free flowing fancy football" in league one next year
  • Options
    Darren Ferguson
  • Options
    Billy Davies is the only resonable choice I see available right now. (Curbs won't come back)
  • Options
    Don't suppose there's any chance of us getting Steve Coppell............OK look at the time I'm sleep walking.
  • Options
    Nigel Adkins - Scunthorpe
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Nigel Adkins - Scunthorpe

I've been thinking about this over the weekend and I agree with Adkins. He worked on a very small budget at Scunthorpe last season and very nearly kept them up playing good football along the way. He's now got them atop League 1 above the likes of Leeds and Leicester and scoring for fun and entertaining the fans. Him or Ferguson for me.
  • Options
    Curbs...

And i'm not a "i love curbs" type either.

but i can see him keeping us up and grooming someone like Powell to take over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joe Kinnear
  • Options
    Sir Keith
  • Options
    Di Canio / Powell
  • Options
    It all depends on how we are viewed by potential managers. Are we a sleeping giant (or a club with potential) or a club that punched above it's weight when curbs was there and is now on the slide.

If it's the first one than Billy Davis, the reason he said no the first time was because he didn't want to follow Curbs, he'll have to get a better excuse this time! I think Big Sam wouldn't be in our price range.

If the second, then it'll will have to be someone from a lower league or someone untried, perhaps Kinsella. We all know that Les Reed didn't work out, but Nigel Adkins was a physio before he became manager and Curbs had no experience of managing a first time. You never know and beggars can't be choosers.
  • Options
    Blimey there are some names being banded about...... :-)

I'd be suprised if a sly little call hasn't already been made to Curbs testing the water.....

Billy Davies is a reasonable probablilty also ( is he managing anywhere- can't find anything)

Between these two and appointing one or both of Parky and Kins.

Back to thread- First Choice- Davies ( if available)
  • Options
    mark bowen and kinsella as no 2.
  • Options
    What the players need right now is someone who can do one of the following three things

1: Get some discipline within the players from day one as well as command the respect from players within the club

2: Get the players organised so each of them know there jobs are and by doing so where this will get the club back to where we both the fans and club want to be , this also then gives the payers short and long term goals and this then enables them to see how well they are progressing, giving the confidence in which at this moment time is needed

3. We also need a man that will come in and give not just the players a lift but the fans as well. The last thing we should do is give the job to a man who is unknown or has no experience, as this would not be fair on him as well as the club.

With this in mind i would suggest two managers. George Graham or Billy Davies.
  • Options
    There's who would I like, and then there's the stop dreaming, who can we afford.

Well if money were not object, I'd love Mourinho.

Now stop dreaming and be realistic

1. Gary Johnson
    2. Nigel Adkins
    3. Colin W*nker - yes I would because he would kick the players a*ses and by god they need it!
  • Options
    I did say Big Sam, but doubt we could afford him now, and I doubt we could get someone in the Championship to leave their job for us.

I'm not someone who would go for an ex player, so that rules out Kins, Powell and Brown out.

So what am I left with. Billy Davis (he's out of a job for a reason, and treated us like shit before) or maybe even Joe Kinnear if Newcastle find new owners
  • Options
    if Mark Bowen can be prised from Man City then I would go for him too, with Kins as number 2...agree with boogie.
    Alternatively Peacock and Kins.....Les Reed helping if possible. Parkinson must not be allowed to stay, lets get back to in house
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hasn't Bowen said that he doesn't want to be a manager?
  • Options
    Curbs, obviously.
  • Options
    Billy Davies or Big Sam, weather they would come???
  • Options
    Big Sam, he took over from Bolton when they were even worse than us, he moulded the club around his own style and objectives just like curbs, he would be ideal in my book, He would love being in London too for the Darts at the Circus Tavern and at the Lakeside Club....
  • Options
    We couldn't afford Big Sam so i'll say only to takeover pards if it comes to it...... Alan C or Steve Coppell can't decide which one!
  • Options
    I'll love it to be Big Sam, but he'll be expensive, especially the back room team, and I don't know if we can stretch for the cash to do it.

As I said, sod style, it's needs must time
  • Options
    Gary Johnson or billy davies

althou TBH i would love to see ANYONE OTHER THAN PARDEW
  • Options
    Johnson has signed a 5 year deal at Bristol City, we have sod all chance of getting him out of that contract
  • Options
    alan curbishley for life
  • Options
    Every time we played Bolton (and usually lost) I always came out of the ground thinking at least we dont have to watch that every week so not for me.

Couldnt afford all his pro zone staff either.

Gotta be an up and coming English manager for me who is relatively cheap, AND sees us as a step above, Adkins is a good shout.

Biased as I am from the area but when Steve Tilson took over at Southend they were next to bottom of the football league. He took them straight up via the play offs and then straight up again as Champions. The Championship was a step too far (like Doncaster this year) but then having got relegated and having to sell Eastwood he got them back in the play offs again. This season he has had to sell Gower and Bailey and they are around the play offs again.

He is good in the transfer market both permanent and loan signings

Eastwood bought for £50k sold for £1.5m
    Bailey £150k sold for £750k
    Gower £100k sold for £600k

He took Southend to the LDV Final as a League 2 Club, he knocked Man Utd out of the League Cup.

His teams play very good football (the sort of quick passing game Super Al has promised us) and he has managed Nicky Bailey who looks Championship one minute and Ryman the next.

Thats my shout.