Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kevin Lisbie

Comments

• Perhaps it's the 'wouldn't have played' part of this argument that I don't get. Whose fault is that? Lisbie's or the manager's?
    And if he had played?
  • Somebody quoted the 'Lisbie is crap because he missed at Watford' chestnut - of course, he should have scored but he created the chance more or less by himself if I remember rightly.Holland missed a sitter in that match too, but it's conveniently forgotten.

Also put into perspective that he'd only just come back from a long term dislocated shoulder injury, so would be lacking matchfitness & sharpness.

Before his injury he played tremendously well in the Arsenal home match where Van Persie should have been sent off 'twice' (straight red and/or2 yellows, but the ref Clattenburg bottled it both times). In that match Lisbie put in a tremendous effort that beat the keeper but not Gallas who punched the ball off the line. Play on said the gutless ref.

Gallas wasn't red carded, and Charlton were cheated out of a possibly match saving penalty.
    And, of course, Kevin Lisbie was denied the goal his effort deserved.

Remember? No, I thought not.
    But people will bring up the Watford miss time and time again.

And that's how people choose to remember Kevin Lisbie.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Somebody quoted the 'Lisbie is crap because he missed at Watford' chestnut - of course, he should have scored but he created the chance more or less by himself if I remember rightly.Holland missed a sitter in that match too, but it's conveniently forgotten.

Also put into perspective that he'd only just come back from a long term dislocated shoulder injury, so would be lacking matchfitness & sharpness.

Before his injury he played tremendously well in the Arsenal home match where Van Persie should have been sent off 'twice' (straight red and/or2 yellows, but the ref Clattenburg bottled it both times). In that match Lisbie put in a tremendous effort that beat the keeper but not Gallas who punched the ball off the line. Play on said the gutless ref.

Gallas wasn't red carded, and Charlton were cheated out of a possibly match saving penalty.
    And, of course, Kevin Lisbie was denied the goal his effort deserved.

Remember? No, I thought not.
    But people will bring up the Watford miss time and time again.

And that's how people choose to remember Kevin Lisbie.

Well said.

People just can't accept that he's proved them wrong this season.

Previously people would say he was 'crap', 'couldn't hit a barn door' etc etc and now they come up with pathetic arguments like 'he wouldn't have played for us' which is not an argument at all.
  • One goal every three starts throughout his career now says it all. However people will always try to include all those five minute substitute appearances, of which there were many, and the fact that he was with us so long. As if it was his fault that he was so unlucky with injuries or the fact that he never got the chance to play alongside someone like Bent.
    This was the first time in years that we had him fully fit, but instead of giving him the shirt, Pards chose to waste millions on the likes of Mcleod.
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]One goal every three starts throughout his career now says it all. However people will always try to include all those five minute substitute appearances, of which there were many, and the fact that he was with us so long. As if it was his fault that he was so unlucky with injuries or the fact that he never got the chance to play alongside someone like Bent.
    This was the first time in years that we had him fully fit, but instead of giving him the shirt, Pards chose to waste millions on the likes of Mcleod.

I made that Mcleod comparison in my post initially and then erased it.
  • i said at the start of the season we should have kept lisbie in stead of the clown,people said come back at the end of the season and see who has scored more.Hello i'm back hello hello Oliver im here ;-)
  • Has Barndoor changed his handle yet?
  • Good luck to him, I wish him well.

We'll never know of course, but it could just be that the change of scene was exactly what he needed after years hanging around the first team at our place and only getting bit part roles. Who's fault was that? Nobodies probably - it's just the way things are sometimes.
  • You can't have it both ways and claim that Lisbie was never given a decent run at Charlton and say we should have kept him and then slate McLeod who has had a very similar time with us and has only started TWO league games and five cup games!!!
  • Yes you can, I was never a Lisbie hater or someone who thought he was 'crap', I always thought it inevitable he would go last summer however. We then went on to spend what 4 million to replace him with Varney / McCleod a season on neither have been prolific or fit - which is what the complaints about Lisbie are.....

So you are willing to give them time and we will have the same complaints.
  • Sponsored links:

• feckin right pickwick 4 million how many goals and in this league shockin
  • From his goal against oxford all Lisbie seemed to do for us is flatter to deceive, a talented player who at times seemed lazy, was profligate in front of goal too often so went somewhere else to finally and deservedly get his chance after a horrific time of it with injury problems.

He's taken that chance and good luck to him, as to whether he's better/worse than Mcleod or Varney cant really be up for debate yet. Neither Varns and Mcleod has managed to get a decent run of games under their belt to be able to exhibit the profligacy Lisbie did for us.
  • edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]This season we have scored 59 goals Colchester 58. Interestingly he has scored 17 in a struggling side and has no doubt been involved in many assists confirming what many of us thought that he would have been rather good at this level.

Humble pie this summer?
    well that makes for very interesting reading.......definitely relegation form for us as of late then!
  • Always a player to get supporters divided. I have always rated young Lisbie from the day he broke through. Di Canio rated him highly too and on merit he was offered new contracts he didn't get them because he asked or that the club felt sorry for him. He remains a dangerous attacker iffy in front of goal but he has pace and the ability to create a chance for himself from nothing. Who knows what he may have done for us this season but with a midfield that has lacked creativity since Reid left he might just have been the player we needed. 17 goals in a sturggling Colchester side speaks volumes just as the shed load did for Darren Bent last season. All he ever needed was a good run in the side but sadly he was too often made the scapegoat usually along with Kishishev.
  • According to a Millwall site, he's signed for them on a season long loan. Yet to be officially confirmed though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]According to a Millwall site, he's signed for them on a season long loan. Yet to be officially confirmed though.

What you doing reading Millwall sites you sad bastard.....
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]According to a Millwall site, he's signed for them on a season long loan. Yet to be officially confirmed though.

What you doing reading Millwall sites you sad bastard.....

Ha ha the irony.
    Saw it on sky, so went on there to see if it was true.
  • Oh the ironing of that post!

Typical Millwall
  • Blimey, that was easy.

Didn't expect two of you to fall over yourselves in trying to have a dig back and completely miss the sarcasm in my post!
  • School holidays mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]Oh the ironing of that post!
    ironing.jpg
  • http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8297101.Lisbie_ends_Ipswich_nightmare_by_joining_Lions/
  • Now possibly the most hated home grown player!
  • Don't hate him at all. I rather admire him actually for the amount of grief he used to get. Scored some important goals for us. A family man with a living to make, good luck to him.
  • In all honesty this is propbably good news for us. Now, at least, he won't end up playing for a third division side where he'd no doubt score another 15+ goals, making our life harder.

I don't like Millwall, obviously, but let's face it he was not good (nor fit) enough for us when we were in the Premier League, and Pardew's failure to recognise that he could do a job for us in the second division is the least significant of his failures with us. I would genuinely wish him all the best if he had gone anywhere else, and chances are he had little choice. I don't remember him lauding it over us whe he scored at The Valley for Colchester. With a bit of luck he will have the same success as he had the last time he was in that division.
  • Unfairly maligned player when at Charlton in the way only our fans know how.

He will do a decent job for Millwall if he stays fit. Lisbie will create Harris will finish.
  • Len am i missing something mate, did the Spanners lose Morisson?Quality player in my opinion, absolute quality!
  • Decent enough in this toilet of a league.

He's no Eusebio though.
  • Thank gawd for that.Lisbie is not the 25+ goals a season man we need to get out of this league.