Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Lisbie

edited April 2008 in General Charlton
This season we have scored 59 goals Colchester 58. Interestingly he has scored 17 in a struggling side and has no doubt been involved in many assists confirming what many of us thought that he would have been rather good at this level.

Humble pie this summer?

Comments

• Options
    Hindsight. A wonderful thing.

Most people were glad to see the back of him. Yes he's had a good season and we'll see if he can have a good season in league 1.
  • Options
    Cursed with bad luck at Charlton. Would've scored a lot more if he'd have put the ball an inch either side of where he shot!

Anyone remember that cracker he scored for us away at Ipswich?
  • Options
    where you been Lats,haven't seen you post much in the last few months.I agree in this league Lisbie was always going to score goals.
  • Options
    yeah maybe we dropped a nut selling him.

Good to see Lisbie say he doesn't want to leave colchester as he feels he owes them something as they were the team to give him a chance.
  • Options
    Agree with hindsight comment. No one would have guessed he'd score 17 goals.

I also believe if he had have stayed with us, he wouldn't have scored anywhere near that many, he just needed a new start somewhere else.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]yeah maybe we dropped a nut selling him.

[/quote]

Except he left on a free...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stoneroses19[/cite]
    I also believe if he had have stayed with us, he wouldn't have scored anywhere near that many, he just needed a new start somewhere else.

Agreed. He had no confidence playing for us, and our fans would've been on his back the first time he missed a chance this season. He needed a change, new surroundings and a chance to re-build his career, which he's done.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Good to see Lisbie say he doesn't want to leave colchester as he feels he owes them something as they were the team to give him a chance.

Agree, he must be wondering why he never dropped down a division and left us 5 years ago - he's almost 30 now.
  • Options
    For the first time I'm adding a post on behalf of my mother (not necessarily my opinion):

Kevin Lisbie was never given a decent run in the team and was obviously a decent centre forward for this league. Everyone who booed him and said he was no good have now been proved wrong.
    The argument given by stoneroses & chris from sidcup is ridiculous because we'd just dropped into a new league and as a loyal Charlton player and experienced professional with talent, he should have been our first choice centre forward.

Any replies can be made to me and I'll call my mother to see what she thinks!!!
  • Options
    your mum talks a lot more sense than you,large and golfie put together,i agree with her 100% and your old man is tops as well,can still remember him leading the singin at hull away.what went wrong with you 3 ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was injured all the time !!
  • Options
    according to everyone on here so was reidy but look what's happened since he left.
  • Options
    i never liked the guy,glad hes doing a job for them,doubt he would do it at charlton,he had plenty of chances,i go with the stats,and there fucking disgusting
  • Options
    Dont mention Reidy northstandsteve it makes my head spin, i noticed he was man of the match for sunderland again, 8/10 in the sunday express que 'do you beleive everything in the express.'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i never liked the guy,glad hes doing a job for them,doubt he would do it at charlton,he had plenty of chances,i go with the stats,and there fucking disgusting

I know that my mother here would ask for you to quote the stats. Her argument is that people quote the number of games that he played in, but that these include 5 minutes as a substitute. Therefore 18 appearances is really only one game.
  • Options
    fair point jim,but still crap anyway,the guy never scored ,and was eternally injured,he was there to long imo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]but still crap anyway,the guy never scored ,and was eternally injured,

I agree with my Mum at this point of the argument:

1. Crap - obviously not looking at his Colchester record
    2. Never scored - ditto
    3. Eternally injured - not so at Colchester and not sure that he really was with us. He got injured straight after his Liverpool hat-trick and then, like many other players, had a difficult spell getting fit again.
  • Options
    but jim what he does at colchester,at relegated colchester is not my concern,at charlton in ten odd years he scored what 19 goals,three of those in one game,where were the match winning games in those ten yrs ,why did he miss at watford? because hes kevin lisbie the biggest let down to grace a cafc shirt imo.
  • Options
    yep still does.
  • Options
    I still stand by the fact that had he remained with us a) he would never have played and so b) he would have never have scored. Leaving was the best for all concerned. I am also convinced that he won't score sixteen goals in a season ever again. Next season I expect him to be at another Championship side with higher expectations than at Col U and it'll be five goals if he's lucky. (Sorry Mum !!!!!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I still stand by the fact that had he remained with us a) he would never have played and so b) he would have never have scored. . (Sorry Mum !!!!!)

Mum told me that you'd say that, and I agree with her that it's a crazy argument. Of course he wouldn't have scored if he hadn't played. What kind of an argument is that?

I personally think (not Mum) that he HAS proved people wrong and that you just refuse to accept it. Otherwise you'd be able to come up with something better than that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I still stand by the fact that had he remained with us a) he would never have played and so b) he would have never have scored. . (Sorry Mum !!!!!)

Mum told me that you'd say that, and I agree with her that it's a crazy argument. Of course he wouldn't have scored if he hadn't played. What kind of an argument is that?

I personally think (not Mum) that he HAS proved people wrong and that you just refuse to accept it. Otherwise you'd be able to come up with something better than that.

No, Mum says we shouldn't have got rid as he would have scored as many for us this season. He wouldn't - FACT. Why - because he wouldn't have played. There isn't really an arguement to be had here. He could have stayed, Pards said he could, but he decided to move on, rightly in my opinion. On the other hand you could say he showed scant loyalty to a Club that stood by him through numerous injuries and illnesses and ten years of underachievemnt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

No, Mum says we shouldn't have got rid as he would have scored as many for us this season. He wouldn't - FACT. Why - because he wouldn't have played. There isn't really an arguement to be had here. .

You said it. I'm going to bed.
  • Options
    you started it !! Goodnight.
  • Options
    Kevin Lisbie has done well this season, but in all honesty it seemed the right time to let him go in the summer.

He wouldn't have scored many goals with us this season, but with our midfield, neither would Kevin Phillips ;)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Kevin Lisbie has done well this season, but in all honesty it seemed the right time to let him go in the summer.

He wouldn't have scored many goals with us this season, but with our midfield, neither would Kevin Phillips ;)[/quote]

LOL!!

spot on as well...
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Kevin Lisbie has done well this season, but in all honesty it seemed the right time to let him go in the summer.

He wouldn't have scored many goals with us this season, but with our midfield, neither would Kevin Phillips ;)

But that is the thing about Lisbie. He can operate with a cr*p midfield. His weakness has always been his finishing. He has always created plenty of chances both for himself and others.

In the Colchester game at The Valley Lisbie won the ball for himself before showing the gulf in class that exists between him and Paddy McCarthy leaving Paddy to concede a penalty which SuperKev duly despatched himself.

I always liked Lisbie because he could make opportunities for himself even if he fluffed them! The only striker we have remotely similar in being able to create for himself is Varney and Pardew has probably alienated him.
  • Options
    Some wonderful revisionism going on here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Some wonderful revisionism going on here

I have always been a Lisbie fan and defended him to the hilt.

No revisionism from me!
  • Options
    Lisbie was absolute cr*p for us - end of.

As someone said earlier in this thread, he wouldn't have got into double figures for us this season simply cause he wouldn't have played.

Good luck to him, but the Liverpool hat trick aside, he's a very very lucky boy to have earnt an excellent living with us for 10 years basically doing nothing.