Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

night clubs in south london

Comments

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Goochies in Falconwood and Lautrecs in Beckenham are on my list in addition to T's and Flick's 
    Used to love Laurtrecs back in the 80's.

Used to frequent all of the pubs mentioned in the Old Kent Road. There was also a good crawl around the backstreets including the Victoria (Pages Walk), Red Cow, Gillys and Southside (Tower Bridge Road).

Really wish I was 40 years younger and do it all again 😔
    You'll have a job, they are all hairdressers and coffee shops now.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Goochies in Falconwood and Lautrecs in Beckenham are on my list in addition to T's and Flick's 

Used to frequent all of the pubs mentioned in the Old Kent Road. There was also a good crawl around the backstreets including the Victoria (Pages Walk), Red Cow, Gillys and Southside (Tower Bridge Road).

The Vic is still going. Good pub. Pat who ran it was a West Ham fan
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

My missus Grandad owned the Red Cow and another pub that I can’t remember the name of round that way. The stories her mum tells of growing up living in the pub are brilliant. 
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Hollywoods sarfend ! good laugh that and TOTS of course plus the circus tavern

Anyone ever go the hilltop in westkingsdown ?

was in tots last night, is now called talk was doctors and nurses night class. but at 1.50 a pint you cant moan but am feeling it today.
    Went to TOTS years ago....slept in the car outside.
    Liked The Hill Top back in the day, friendly place good soul and Reggae music.
    Hilltop was popular for me, as don’t live that far from it, in fact sometimes we would walk it back over north downs back into our village. It’s still there but no club any more.
    What village Pete?
    Kemsing.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    A 16 year thread bump, but…

Bridewell then and now :-( 

Not long after it opened, my mate hired it for a birthday party one Saturday. 

What he actually did was sell tickets around the pubs of Dartford in the weeks leading up to it,  to make a pretty profit but Bridewells found out. They agreed to not cancel the ‘birthday party’ but took  50% of the ticket sales as well as his hire fee 
  • Options
    Also gotta love the sausage and chips at midnight in Bridewells 
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Hollywoods sarfend ! good laugh that and TOTS of course plus the circus tavern

was in tots last night, is now called talk was doctors and nurses night class. but at 1.50 a pint you cant moan but am feeling it today.
    Our designated driver got pissed and was copping hold of someone on the dance floor- we were so annoyed at him, that we started coining him from the side of the dance floor - we were even getting change of a quid from the bar, so we could maximise the amount of coins we could throw. 

5 of us slept in his ford fiesta in the car park and that was no fun 
  • Options
    Not South London but did anyone else venture through the Dartford tunnel and go : 

Hollywoods in Romford
    Pzaz in Grays
    Dukes in Chelmsford 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I went to a rave at Printworks in its closing week a couple of months ago. What a venue. Not a ‘nightclub’ more a super club, but the bar access, toilets, space there was insane. Shame it’s closed. 

They’ve replaced with the drumsheds which is okay, but it’s an absolute trek.

Best clubs for me back in the day were Camden palace and turnmills.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Zen’s on a Thursday after finishing my shift at the Broadway

Stars on a Friday

T’s on a Saturday with Pat Sharp! Waiting for the erection section if you hadn’t already pulled! 

Also went to Bridewells, Sinatras, the Blue Orchid, DeJa Vu and then the Venue most nights as I got older.

Occasionally over the water to Hollywoods in Romford, or Faces in Ilford! 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Forgot about that , never ate that … would have liked it at the end of the evening …. Eating’s cheating 

all washed down with a bottle of diamond white … never drunk that either 
  • Options
    Ventured to Faces ( Gants Hill) midweek a few times 

apparently the old rat and parrot Bexleyheath is having or has had a Bon Bonnie’s reunion night recently/soon
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    In a basket. 

Blinding times around 1992/93
  • Options
    Ventured to Faces ( Gants Hill) midweek a few times 

apparently the old rat and parrot Bexleyheath is having or has had a Bon Bonnie’s reunion night recently/soon
    It was last week. 
  • Options

Hilltop was popular for me, as don’t live that far from it, in fact sometimes we would walk it back over north downs back into our village. It’s still there but no club any more.
    What village Pete?
    Hi  @Has@HastingsRed , you originally from Sevenoaks area?
  • Options
    I'm assuming the Venue at New Cross is no more now?  Have passed it 3 times in cabs on a Sat night over the last six months and it looked like it was closed.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    night clubs/ ballrooms / dance halls from my 1960s youth and later in the early 1970s  .. Streatham Locarno, Purley Orchid, Croydon Suite, Catford Witchdoctor (aka the Savoy), Bromley Court Hotel, The Mistral at Beckenham Junction, Dr Jim's in Croydon, Green Man in Catford/Bellingham, Black Prince at Bexley as well as numerous pubs around the area that put on every type of music from reggae to jazz and punk to disco .. good days
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Cheeks - Deptford
    Kentish Drovers - OKR (Not strictly a nightclub but open 'til 2am)
    Henry Cooper - OKR (As above)
    Dr Jims - Croydon

To name but a few...

Back in the late 70's and early 80's there was a lot of violence at night clubs. Cheeks was owned by Harry Starbuck and there was a murder there one night so I topped going there after that. Knew the brother of the fella who got murdered coz he used to attend Charlton matches in those days.

Stopped going to the Kentish Drovers when a gang of eight blokes turned up with Baseball bats and proceeded to bash seven shades out of the owner and doormen.

Stopped going to the Henry Cooper when I witnessed the doormen beating seven shades out of this poor fella who accidently knocked into one of them on the way into the place. Not very pleasant. The ironic thing is I knew one of the doormen in question and when he was away from that environment, he was a really nice fella.
    Was that the bouncer that got shot I was in there that night & I thought it was owned by Bill & Harry Hayward 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Tavern said:
    I use to go Daniels on A20 Flamingos Woolwich and when i was feeling brave Ts in Erith and Sinatras Croydon
    What was your old favs!lol!
    I used to go to T's in Erith - it was shite but a ten minute walk home. Found Flamingo's in the 1990's which was a good laught, and the Bridewell in Dartford which again wa sa fun night out, but my favourite was the Venue in New Cross as it actually offered other music than the usual dross that was everywhere in south east London!
    I'd forgotten the sausage and chips at the Bridewells. Had some wild nights in there.
    Big shout out the the Darenth Tavern. Went there one friday with some mates on the basis of their 'eight til late' advertising. Got there at nine - shit music and a handful of people, and at two minutes past midnight, the music went off and the bar closed. Class!
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    _MrDick said:
    Cheeks - Deptford
    Kentish Drovers - OKR (Not strictly a nightclub but open 'til 2am)
    Henry Cooper - OKR (As above)
    Dr Jims - Croydon

To name but a few...

Back in the late 70's and early 80's there was a lot of violence at night clubs. Cheeks was owned by Harry Starbuck and there was a murder there one night so I topped going there after that. Knew the brother of the fela who got murdered coz he used to attend Charlton matches in those days.

Stopped going to the Kentish Drovers when a gang of eight blokes turned up with Baseball bats and proceeded to bash seven shades out of the owner and doormen.

Stopped going to the Henry Cooper when I witnessed the doormen beating seven shades out of this poor fella who accidently knocked into one of them on the way into the place. Not very pleasant. The ironic thing is I knew one of the doormen in question and when he was away from that environment, he was a really nice fella.
    Was that the bouncer in cheeks that got shot I was in there that night & I thought it was owned by Bill & Harry Hayward 

• Options
    No-one mentioned The Harrow in Abbey Wood on Friday nights ?

Clearly far too early for you young 'uns !
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    T’s
    Deja Vu
    Zens
    Frontier Post in Bexleyheath, now Pure
    Was into house music early 90s and was always at The Albany Empire in Deptford (not strictly a nightclub)
    Hollywoods once in 1998
    Langtrys in Beckenham
  • Options
    edited October 2023

T,s

Dun Cow

Flicks/Zens/Air & Breathe

Bridewells

Bon Bonne

Sinatras

Flamingoes 

Dorringtons 

Hickorys 

Champs

Lazerdrome

Amadeus 

La tasca 

Jasmine’s 

All very much frequently visited during the late 80s early 90s then it was onto the open field/m25 raves then into the rave clubs till present day…

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Cheeks Deptford Broadway
  • Options
    It used to get stick but The Venue was the greatest club in SE London by a country mile.  First went in there when I was 16 and went literally other weekend until just before my daughter was born.  You could just be yourself, enjoy the music and I rarely saw trouble in there.  It went off a couple of times and the bouncers piled in seconds later and you felt reasonably safe.

Never enjoyed Zens or T's.  So much attitude and testosterone.  Quite liked Stars.  Helped that I had Uni of Greenwich trainee nurse friends staying in the campus accommodation just off Vanbrugh Hill.  Vaguely remember a CS gas cannister being let off in there.  What was that god forsaken hell hole in Woolwich in the 90s?  Jeez, I felt safer in T's!

Much preferred the Venue, or going into London or doing some of the university clubbing nights in the mid 90s.  Kaleidoscope just off the Strand on KCLs campus and a special mention for the Uni of Greenwich Friday club night at Avery Hill called Dizzy.   Used to dance til 2am, crash on a mates sofa then make my 7:30am shift at the Co-op in Welling.

Ministry of Sound was good in the early days.  There was so many clubs in London we went to but can't remember all of the names now.  Bon Bonne was good when it started then went all pretentious when it got popular.  Gin Palace, £12 to get in and unlimited drinks.  Can you imagine that now?  Car Wash was a laugh, 100 Club (was it called that?), basement-type place of Oxford St or Regents St and there seemed to be a lot more people in that H&S would allow now.  Australian girls were always so much more fun.  Strawberry Moons off Regent St.  We went to the theatre recently and we ended up in a pub which looked like it was the same building (well we thought it looked like it was!)

And a special mention for Faces in Ilford.  Where most of the Spurs squad hung out literally every weekend for years.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Haha probably (except the Victoria) 😅
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

The Vic is still going. Good pub. Pat who ran it was a West Ham fan
    Was Pat the tall fella that ran it, if it is our knickname was 'tiny'. Used to love the disco in there. It was the pub setting for the follow up series to Minder but can't remember the name. I'm sure 'tiny' had some influence with TV producers, but could be wrong.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:
    meldrew66 said:

My missus Grandad owned the Red Cow and another pub that I can’t remember the name of round that way. The stories her mum tells of growing up living in the pub are brilliant. 
    That was another cracking disco pub 👍