Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

night clubs in south london

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Tites in Beckenham
    Beebas in Bromley
    Dive bar at Bickley
    Tiffany's at Croydon
    Sinatras at Croydon
    Was also bar/club at the shopping precint at Bromley south but can't remember the name.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Phantom User[/cite]Bottom of Blackheath Hill / Deptford = Champs / Cheeks / SE8 club.
    They're the 3 names I knew it as.

Did that become Polar Bar a few years back? Opposite the Pets at Home or watever it is?

also known as futures and lastly 999 club , quite ironic really.

a few years ago there was a TV show with Jools Holland and Roland Rivron where Roland was an alien and Jools had to show him round and explain earthto him ,they went into champs in one episode and some fellapulleda blade on them!
  • edited November 2007
    The Polar Bar was something different - on the Blackheath Road (Greenwich) side of the junction, opposite Kwik-Fit - used to be a rock pub called the White Swan for many years, became something else and is now something else totally different (only saw it from the bus the other night, didn't see a name on the door). Used to use the Polar Bar a few years back as a late pub, had a few memorable nights there in about 2004 and it was (I think) owned by the son of the bloke who owned the Green Dragon restaurant in the centre of Greenwich.

And Suzi - that telephone bar was in St Anne's Court, off Wardour Street. But wasn't one of the Old Kent Road clubs renamed Caesar's and had a link with Ceaser The Geezer, in the early-mid '90s?

Was more of an indie kid so my DMs weren't really welcome anywhere else other than the top floor of the Venue, or up at the Marquee club on Charing Cross Road, or going up to Camden or beyond.

Although I remember Stars as I lived pretty close to it - £1.50/pint before 10.30, lager boys piling in at 10.20 and buying 5 pints at a time, and laughing myself silly when I found from a mate at college that people from further out of town thought it was a prime pulling joint! We just thought it was a cheap and cheerful dump! But then came the stabbing, the police blockading half of Greenwich one night, and then that was it. It was only open for a couple of years.

And since someone's mentioned the Wag - used to love Blow-Up there. I was there on its last night, and I still miss that place now.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]
    Was more of an indie kid so my DMs weren't really welcome anywhere else other than the top floor of the Venue, or up at the Marquee club on Charing Cross Road.[/quote]

I was more of a NWOBHM headbanger. Used to use the Marquee when it was in Wardour St. Back in those days many of the venues already mentioned used to have heavy rock nights, even the bouncing ball club in Peckham.
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Phantom User[/cite]Bottom of Blackheath Hill / Deptford = Champs / Cheeks / SE8 club.
    They're the 3 names I knew it as.

Did that become Polar Bar a few years back? Opposite the Pets at Home or watever it is?

also known as futures and lastly 999 club , quite ironic really.

a few years ago there was a TV show with Jools Holland and Roland Rivron where Roland was an alien and Jools had to show him round and explain earthto him ,they went into champs in one episode and some fellapulleda blade on them!

a few years ago? quite a few. I was in that episode - i was filmed in the loo - not on it - just happened to be in there at the same time. apparently i was on the show but i missed the eipisode.
  • [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]
    Was more of an indie kid so my DMs weren't really welcome anywhere else other than the top floor of the Venue, or up at the Marquee club on Charing Cross Road.

I was more of a NWOBHM headbanger. Used to use the Marquee when it was in Wardour St. Back in those days many of the venues already mentioned used to have heavy rock nights, even the bouncing ball club in Peckham.

Did you ever go to the Clarendon, Hammersmith? I remember there used to be HM nights on downstairs sometimes when the Rockabilly club was on upstairs. Fortunately the two groups seemed to mix okay in the other bar...

Also, anyone on here ever go to the Klub Foot, at the Clarendon?
  • A 16 year thread bump, but…

Bridewell then and now :-( 

Was more of an indie kid so my DMs weren't really welcome anywhere else other than the top floor of the Venue, or up at the Marquee club on Charing Cross Road.

Did you ever go to the Clarendon, Hammersmith? I remember there used to be HM nights on downstairs sometimes when the Rockabilly club was on upstairs. Fortunately the two groups seemed to mix okay in the other bar...

Rochee and the Sarnos - Gary Leaver on stage stark naked. 
  • A 16 year thread bump, but…

Bridewell then and now :-( 

I remember going there a few years back when it reopened with a different name after yet another refit. Had a great night, drank loads, didn't remember much. Went back a week later and the person behind the bar greeted me like a long lost friend. I have no idea what I did the week before to become so memorable! 
  • Tragic , I remember cutting the rug in there on December 5th 1992 , well more like a dribbling wreck having been boozing since 11am 
  • Sponsored links:

• Tragic , I remember cutting the rug in there on December 5th 1992 , well more like a dribbling wreck having been boozing since 11am 
    🎵Peace in The Valley…🎵
  • Tavern said:
    I use to go Daniels on A20 Flamingos Woolwich and when i was feeling brave Ts in Erith and Sinatras Croydon
    What was your old favs!lol!
    Went to Flamingos, Sinatras, T's.....but none of them could beat The Venue.
  • Badger said:
    Tites in Beckenham
    Beebas in Bromley
    Dive bar at Bickley
    Tiffany's at Croydon
    Sinatras at Croydon
    Was also bar/club at the shopping precint at Bromley south but can't remember the name.
    We used to call Beebas ‘beavers’ because it was full of it
  • Off_it said:
    Used to go the Gin Palace on the Old Kent Road quite a lot (why?) or Bon Bonee (sp?) in Herne Hill, or somewhere like that. It was Zen's if we were going to get dressed up, or The Venue if we were gonna dress down.
    Mrs H used to go to the Bon Bonee.
  • edited October 2023
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Hollywoods sarfend ! good laugh that and TOTS of course plus the circus tavern

Anyone ever go the hilltop in westkingsdown ?

was in tots last night, is now called talk was doctors and nurses night class. but at 1.50 a pint you cant moan but am feeling it today.
    Went to TOTS years ago....slept in the car outside.
    Liked The Hill Top back in the day, friendly place good soul and Reggae music.
  • Off_it said:
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    The quality of female was always of a high standard in Bon Bonnee's

Remember the old school cheesy DJ with the silver jacket who had his decks round the wrong way and so was always the dancefloor side just standing there? Bizarre!

Also, the beer used to come in pinapple jugs - harder to smash apparently!
    LOL...I'll tell the Mrs's.
  • Daniels,
    T’s ,
    Flamingo’s 
    Anyone mentioned Twilight’s 
  • Greenways....West Malling, anyone been there.
  • Off_it said:
    Does anyone remember the short-lived place in Lew'sham Hight Street called "Red Eye"? Went in there once - and never again - as it was full of bwad bwoys and the air was thick with ganja. Was virtually pitch balck in there as well, so fcuk knows if it was busy or not as could barely see my feet!

Think it's a Turkish grocers now - you can see it from the train.
    went there a couple of time but maybe before you (I'm thinking c. 1990). It was very much a "Jazz Funk" type venue...
  • Sponsored links:

Rochee and the Sarnos - Gary Leaver on stage stark naked. 
    He never needed much encouragment. I'm still in touch with him and all the band. Jamie lives in Italy now and he and I regularly text each other during Charlton games.   
  • Goochies in Falconwood and Lautrecs in Beckenham are on my list in addition to T's and Flick's 
  • edited October 2023
    Bonnies Sydenham, Echoes Bow, The Albany Empire Deptford, Downham Tavern...Not all actual nightclubs (and not all south London)... 

No dress codes, not that much alcohol, no aggro at all, and music that wasn't heard in many of the fine establishments mentioned on this thread. 
  • [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Hollywoods sarfend ! good laugh that and TOTS of course plus the circus tavern

was in tots last night, is now called talk was doctors and nurses night class. but at 1.50 a pint you cant moan but am feeling it today.
    Hilltop was popular for me, as don’t live that far from it, in fact sometimes we would walk it back over north downs back into our village. It’s still there but no club any more.
  • You could always wander down to the Hayatt Lounge in Westmoor Street after a match at Charlton.

Here's what the Standard said:- 

Greenwich bar had its licence suspended for a month on Tuesday after police raised fears it was turning a blind eye to gang members armed with guns.

The Hayatt Lounge in Charlton was hauled before Greenwich Council last week after police called for its licence to be revoked, citing a string of recent fights at shisha bar.

An earlier meeting of councillors on July 26 heard of a string of fights at the shisha lounge, including a “large” brawl on June 10, in which two groups of men used shisha pipes, plates and bowls “as weapons”.

In a separate incident on June 18, a woman was reportedly hit over the head with a used bottle of Hennessy’s brandy and then slashed in the face.

Days later, a drunken patron allegedly hit another woman outside the venue, pulled off her wig, and also bit her on the breast. The venue described the fights as “isolated” and “rare” incidents.

Police said it believed staff at the venue had “lied” over a lack of internal CCTV in relation to the June 18 glassing, after they were told the CCTV’s hard drive had overheated in hot weather.

I believe it has reopened after meeting certain conditions.

... to install digital cameras at the entry to “obtain facial images of all entering the premises”.

Those attending will be required to go through metal detector units at reception, and door staff will be given a “hand-held metal detection unit” to carry out further searches of all entries.

https://hayattlounge.co.uk/

• [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Hollywoods sarfend ! good laugh that and TOTS of course plus the circus tavern

Hilltop was popular for me, as don’t live that far from it, in fact sometimes we would walk it back over north downs back into our village. It’s still there but no club any more.
    What village Pete?
  • Great thread this 
  • Caesars in Streatham, £20 all you could drink

The Clapham Grand in, errr, Clapham.....Dr Glitz and his dancing girls :-D
    Had to carry my sister in law out of there once....Caesars.
  • Curb_It said:
    "Anyone ever go to that dodgy bar on the old kent road near to where Toys r us is now?
    Used to get in there at 3/4 am and was probably the scariest place on earth with every south london villain drinking in there and normally carrying a gun or a knife!!"

i used to drink in a late night drinking club up there but cant remember the name. further up i think... used to have to go up the stairs to it... full of south london bank robbers... me mate was dating one of them until he turned up on crimewatch and her mum wouldnt let her. the name of the bar will come to me eventually!

Liked going to samsons too.
    Used to rave at the Tunnel Club as well. they were mental.

so many memories.... and lots of blurred ones.
    Was it above a kebab shop?
  • meldrew66 said:
    Goochies in Falconwood and Lautrecs in Beckenham are on my list in addition to T's and Flick's 
    Used to love Laurtrecs back in the 80's.

Used to frequent all of the pubs mentioned in the Old Kent Road. There was also a good crawl around the backstreets including the Victoria (Pages Walk), Red Cow, Gillys and Southside (Tower Bridge Road).

Really wish I was 40 years younger and do it all again 😔