Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best and worst away days

WORST - Nothing beats Millwall for me - always thoroughly depressing and the walk down from the station is just the icing on the cake. Our players always seem to freeze.
BEST - Bournemouth - always enjoy going there and love the location.

Comments

• Options
    Worst... Millwall... Will never go there again, only ever been once which was the 4-0 defeat a few years ago.

Best... Yeovil... Have always liked the Ground and Town, usually have a Weekend down there whenever we play them and its a nice little place, I think its the 1-1 downpour a few years ago that has helped make it my favourite.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Worst - Reading - usually a boring day.

Best - Aston Villa in the 4-3 game. I was wearing a bright green/yellow Sasa Ilic goal keeping shirt and MOTD picked up on it when Mills scored.
  • Options
    iamdan said:

Worst - Reading - usually a boring day.

Best - Aston Villa in the 4-3 game. I was wearing a bright green/yellow Sasa Ilic goal keeping shirt and MOTD picked up on it when Mills scored.

Thanks for reminding me about that Villa game...

Was only a little un back then and when it went 3-3 I went sobbing up to my bedroom, when my Mum asked what was wrong I sobbed that the Villa goal meant we were relegated... two seconds later I was jumping around my Mum called up... THEY'VE SCORED!!
  • Options
    Worst - Millwall. What a bloody awful place to visit. My most enjoyable away game ever, however, is our 2-0 win at their place on 5 Dec 1995. Paul Mortimer played like a god that snowy night.

Best - Used to be Norwich. We always seemed to win up there and there was a pub, not far from the ground, where the landlord only employed bar staff if they were Miss World contenders! A great day out.
  • Options
    I forgot to say that we did the double over Millwall that season (the only time that I can ever remember us doing that) and I can still remember the t-shirts on sale at the next away game after we completed the double (Port Vale I think), showing "We beat the scum 2-0, twice". Happy days.
  • Options
    Worse - Millwall

Best - Millwall (Morts in the snow)
  • Options
    worse - milwall as i always say im never going again then always do we always melt against them and its not the biggest derby with no one there, reading is a boring place aswell as huddersfeild, cardiff etc.
    best - grounds wise probably sheffield wednesday as i really like hilsboro lot of hisotry etc, best for the day out cannot beat either of the nottingham clubs. hooters before.
  • Options
    Worst - Losing 7-0 to Brighton

Best - Beating Brighton 5-3 a few years later.
  • Options
    In terms of specific matches
    Worst - the 5-0 at Watford last season takes some beating (honourable mentions to the Sheffield Utd and Colchester cup defeats), all were just really depressing performances
    Best - Battle of the Bridge, the 1-1 at Chelsea in 1988, took a couple of mates from University along, the start of a long and celebratory day!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:

Worst - Losing 7-0 to Brighton

Best - Beating Brighton 5-3 a few years later.

I was at both of them, just shows how fortunes change and how the wheels can fall off quickly.
  • Options
    Worst - The 4-0 at Millwall.

Best - Away at Coventry in 99/00, coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 late on. Great atmosphere in a brilliant season.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Watching 7 goals go past us at Burnley then 6 at both Luton and Brighton ....

Being chased out the baseball ground ..
    All fun being a football fan

You should have stayed until the end at Brighton it finish 7-0. We lost 0-1 on Saturday as well.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Being chased out the Valley ..
    All fun being a football fan

We keep telling you to go easy on the wind up posts... You wouldnt be chased away so often else!! ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Worse: losing at Northwich
    Best: promotion at Carlisle

In terms of regular aways.

Worse, Stevenage has nothing to do.
    Best, I always enjoy Brentford and Forest.
  • Options
    Worst - a defeat at Millwall (the 0-4 a few years ago was particularly bad) would usually take it, but the 2-2 draw at The Den in the old First Division, when we played them off the park for most of the match and went 2-0 up, then lost the plot in the last five minutes, let in two and almost a third. Never has a draw felt more like a defeat.

Best - 2-0 at the toolbox in the snow.

Best on a neutral ground - obviously 4-4, 7-6 on penalties.
  • Options

Best - Odsal Stadium - last of the old large terraces in British sport

Worst - any provincial town with an out of town, soulless, identikit stadium
  • Options

Best - Odsal Stadium - last of the old large terraces in British sport

Worst - any provincial town with an out of town, soulless, identikit stadium

A lot of the new grounds are like that, though the location makes a big difference to the experience.

Reading is one of the worst, though the atmosphere on the shuttle bus back to the station was fun last season! 3 managers ago...

Colchester was a pretty dull location too, whereas the likes of Leicester and Derby are much nearer the centre so you don't feel you're stuck out in some retail park in the middle of nowhere
  • Options
    Best - difficult to pick one. Loved Stockport with The Phoenix Club behind the away terrace, Villa 4-3 obviously, used to like Maine Road as well. But have to say my fave away day has been Bray Wanderers (been twice and each trip has been legendary).

Worst - MK Dons - souless, honorable mentions for Colchester (new ground) and Stevenage - the very definition of hell!
  • Options
    Peterborough was the perfect away day until they removed the terrace.

Oldham is a really bad and bleak one (ignoring the 1-0 win).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tranmere is a horrible ground too...

Dont know if it was just a cold / windy day but was freezing there when we drew 1-1 in our League One year.
  • Options
    Worst: anywhere it's more than an hour away and we lose (particularly painful coming back from Boro on a mid week...)
    Best: Loved, loved, loved Villa away, 4-3...in the pub near the ground (Cap'n Gown?) for 11am, shots, Russian dancing, Pearly Kings, mayhem, balti pies, broken kneecaps and more mayhem... Or Southampton away (forget the score)...trains, boozing, football, shoplifting, more booze.... Too old for all that now :-(
  • Options
    3-1 win at Norwich in the old Division One was one of the best days with another Mortimer gem of a goal plus every win ive seen at millwall and palace (thats not many). Middlesboro and Sheff Utd in the FA Cup games are up there as the worst plus the loses at millwall and palace (thats too many)
  • Options
    Worst. Stevenage. Lowest moment supporting Charlton going to that no hope town. It was so upsetting to know we were in the same league as Stevenage. and we lost. Roland is making it his mission for us to play them again.

Best. Forest cos Nottingham is a decent place to visit.
  • Options
    For me there's no such thing as great away days now with practically every ground looking the same. Any of the grounds that are stuck in retail parks like Bolton, Reading, MK Dons are soulless. Sure you still get the odd great game (Rotherham this season, Watford 4-3 win a few seasons ago etc) but on the whole it's all pretty bland.

In old money, Craven Cottage, St James Park, Stamford Bridge and Maine Road were always good but so were most of the others because they all had something unique. I can only think of Luton that I never ever enjoyed going to.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    After a lot of thought.

Best Away - either the 3-3 at Liverpool or the 2-2 Man City game in the play off final season - Steve Brown ended up in goal. Always remember after Steve Jones 2nd goal one of our fans went crazy and disappeared head first over the wall and down the steps of the walk way to underneath the stand.

Also (the warped side of me) enjoyed the 1-0 play off defeat at Leeds. It was the hostile atmosphere. Leeds went mental when they scored, but that was a real team with a never say die attitude when had then. Real pressure cooker. Battle of the bridge is also a one I enjoyed.

Worst - there has been a few. Probably the 5-0 humiliation on Boxing Day against West Ham. miserable. I also managed to get in to Luton when there was the away fans ban, lost 5-2. Thinking about it as I write, Dagenham away 2-1 defeat when Frank Nouble scored.

• Options
    Worst 3-0 at White Hart lane late 80's & Scott Minto got 10 bells kicked out if him every time he touched the ball. Went with a load if Spurs fans from school horrible journey home and following week.

Best 3-1 at Sunderland when Ambrose got sent off after about 15 minutes, Darren Bent scored on his debut. Went with a couple if Sunderland fans,
  • Options
    Best away game was the 1-1 with Spurs in the cup in 84.

Worst was either the 2-1 defeat at Sheff Utd in our relegation season form the PL or the 5-0 defeat at Oxford around the same time.

Favourite away ground is Norwich, worst is Reading.
  • Options
    Worst - all 3 Millwall games, and special mention for the latest loss at the Sainsbury's ground

Best - not for result, but for atmosphere. Fulham in the cup. 7000 of us packed into that stand :)