Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best and worst away days

Comments

• Options
    Worst: Millwall 0-4. Hideous. Only time I've left/tried to leave early (Bar Boro home!)

Bottled cup QF's at Boro and Sheff Utd pretty horrible too.

Best: 1-0 at Anfield (also the 2-2 last game in Prem) - always a good day out and sociable.

2-2 at Newcastle when they were untouchable, coming back twice, Nelson and Leaburn? Night game midweek on that old terrace. Brilliant.

Dennis in the last minute, despite only about 700 of us and a shite game
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Best - I remember a 4-2 win at Walsall that was a lot of fun and the 3-1 at Stockport.

Worst - the fa cup match at Sheff utd , just hopes were so high and losing was so gutting.
  • Options
    Yep, @boggzy, Dennis in the last minute was brilliant. Johnson missed a penalty too. As you say, fun rather than a classic game.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    HarryLime said:

BEST: Bury, Ridiculously cheep to drink there, Black pudding and mustard rolls from Bury Market, there is even some steam train museum/pub combo thing going on there. Back of the net.

Oh well, something to look forward to next season... (knowing our luck it'll be midweek in January)
  • Options
    Best away game - Chelsea, League Cup September 2005. Worst away game - any of those at Selhurst 1985-1991. Miserable place. Low(ish) crowds. No atmosphere. Terrible journeys too and from the ground. And - our team often not the strongest either, to be honest. All in all a poor time for English football.
  • Options
    Best - a few come to mind particularly 4-3 at Villa and the Carlisle win in 86 but to add one I don't think has been mentioned the 1-0 win at Man U at the beginning of the 86/87 season, great day out.

Worst - Millwall obviously, but again throwing in a new one the 1-0 cup 1/4 defeat at Bolton in 2000. Miserable defeat and the coach driver nearly went to the wrong ground.
  • Options
    An enjoyable defeat not mentioned here was the FA Cup game against Man U in 1994

"Things can only get better" at half time after Schmeichel was sent off in front of 10000 of us.

And at the time we were going really well in the league as well, with a realistic chance of promotion...
  • Options

So a couple that haven't been mentioned.

Best; Pompey away FA Cup 3-0. I was at Poly there so was able to lord it all around the town in front of my goby Pompey mates

Worst: that West Brom cup tie in shite weather must be up there. Mind you I thought Ipswich away last season was shite all round too, but mainly for reasons that most of you would say are just part of the modern experience (standing all the way there, pub closed after the game, etc)

I was at that pompey game too. From memory it was after a 1-1 draw at home. Think that was the year we lost away at Wolves in the 5th round. My first away game on my own as a 13 year old.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Best - I remember a 4-2 win at Walsall that was a lot of fun and the 3-1 at Stockport.

Worst - the fa cup match at Sheff utd , just hopes were so high and losing was so gutting.

Wasn't the Stockport game the first of consecutive hat-tricks for Andy Hunt?
  • Options

Worst - Millwall. What a bloody awful place to visit. My most enjoyable away game ever, however, is our 2-0 win at their place on 5 Dec 1995. Paul Mortimer played like a god that snowy night.

Best - Used to be Norwich. We always seemed to win up there and there was a pub, not far from the ground, where the landlord only employed bar staff if they were Miss World contenders! A great day out.

Said pub was called The Ferry Boat on King Street. Landlord for a time in the 80s was Steve Wright, the Ipswich prostitute murderer. Not a coincidence that it was a pub on the edge of the Norwich red light area.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best: Barnsley 6-0

Worst: Hull 6-0
  • Options
    Best Barnley 6 0 2013

Worst Wolves 0 3 FA Cup. 1998
  • Options
    Many happy memories of wins in East Anglia. Hat tricks by Mendonca and Hunt at Norwich. Leaburn hat trick( all with his feet at Ipswich)

Worst, the cup game against Sheff Utd a couple of years ago.

Always found the games at Plough Lane depressing.
  • Options

Shrew said:

He certainly scored one at Norwich the game either side, I think you might be right.
  • Options
    The 2-1 defeat at Millwall really hurt. They were so poor last season and we were in good form. Then down to 10 men to take the lead and then throw it all away. Really still hurts...
  • Options

I forgot to say that we did the double over Millwall that season (the only time that I can ever remember us doing that) and I can still remember the t-shirts on sale at the next away game after we completed the double (Port Vale I think), showing "We beat the scum 2-0, twice". Happy days.

You had t-shirts on sale after doing the double over us??

And you say it's Charlton who are OUR cup final???

:smiley:
  • Options
    Best - Cup win at Hillsborough with Powell on the crossbar. Living in Sheffield, the Wendies had hyped this game so much as a walkover and had already beaten United. It was also the first time my daughter had really felt proper love for the badge with a win on enemy territory. For me a win in Sheffield is always sweet. It felt like the last day I was completely happy watching Charlton.

Worst - Jan 83 at Hillsborough. Lost 5-4 but 'think' we were 3-0 up, maybe 3-1 up at half-time. Remember feeling gutted to lose that one as an 11 year old.
  • Options

I forgot to say that we did the double over Millwall that season (the only time that I can ever remember us doing that) and I can still remember the t-shirts on sale at the next away game after we completed the double (Port Vale I think), showing "We beat the scum 2-0, twice". Happy days.

With our record against you lot I think that you could forgive a fan for cashing in. I wish that I'd thought of it!
  • Options
    Best - 3-2 win at Coventry in the fifth round of the FA cup in 2000, coming back from two down to win, a rare moment of cup joy for us Addicks.

Worst - Losing 2-1 midweek away to Hartlepool, CP's first loss as Charlton manager, never been so cold at a football match and then the car broke down on the way home.
  • Options
    Just remembered losing 3-0 at Colchester when it was still Division 3. That was bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Best; Pompey away FA Cup 3-0. I was at Poly there so was able to lord it all around the town in front of my goby Pompey mates

Worst: that West Brom cup tie in shite weather must be up there. Mind you I thought Ipswich away last season was shite all round too, but mainly for reasons that most of you would say are just part of the modern experience (standing all the way there, pub closed after the game, etc)

I was at that pompey game too. From memory it was after a 1-1 draw at home. Think that was the year we lost away at Wolves in the 5th round. My first away game on my own as a 13 year old.
    Wolves away was 0-3 and John Richards came on as a substitute and scored a hat trick. All second half (I think).

A real feeling of being in ''the north'' those days. My mate and I parked his car (a Ford Cortina) in some tiny side streets within walking distance of the ground. Real Coronation Street stuff. The air was grimy - coal smoke still in evidence.
  • Options

Wolves away was 0-3 and John Richards came on as a substitute and scored a hat trick. All second half (I think).

A real feeling of being in ''the north'' those days. My mate and I parked his car (a Ford Cortina) in some tiny side streets within walking distance of the ground. Real Coronation Street stuff. The air was grimy - coal smoke still in evidence.
    Oh no. I'd forgotten that one. Thanks for the reminder!
  • Options

Shrew said:

Yep, 'Oh Andy Hunt...' sung an awful lot that afternoon
  • Options

You should see the ones we had when we drew at home to Dagenham
  • Options
    edited April 2016

The 2-1 defeat at Millwall really hurt. They were so poor last season and we were in good form. Then down to 10 men to take the lead and then throw it all away. Really still hurts...

I had £50 on is at 3/1 that day. After about 75 minutes I decided to cash out for £90. Being pissed, up by the time I managed to log in to my account they had equalised. " Charlton Athletic losing you money since 1905"

I was so pissed off that I went in to the Foresters Pub and smashed the shit out of 25 'wall' single handed.

* the last paragraph is a lie.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Best : Barnsley 6-0 - thought at the time I'll never see this happen again.

Worst : Too many too mention! that Dagenham defeat lives long in the memory, I've never seen our fans so angry, 5-1 defeat to Spurs the season we got relegated was shocking, but I think the biscuit goes to the 5-0 Boxing Day defeat to West Ham, enough to break a bloke.
  • Options
    Best by far was Millwall away in the snow. Never celebrated goals like that. My glasses went flying and the bloke in front of me lost his hearing aid. Neither of us cared, pure joy.

Worst has to be Palace away in the playoffs. Couldn't get a ticket so had to sit on my own in the Palace end, absolutely awful.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Best by far was Millwall away in the snow. Never celebrated goals like that. My glasses went flying and the bloke in front of me lost his hearing aid. Neither of us cared, pure joy.

Worst has to be Palace away in the playoffs. Couldn't get a ticket so had to sit on my own in the Palace end, absolutely awful.

I always wondered where the hearing aid that ended up in my flask came from.
  • Options

Best: Barnsley 6-0

Worst: Hull 6-0

I did both of them!