Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best and worst away days

124»

Comments

• Options
    red_murph said:

Best by far was Millwall away in the snow. Never celebrated goals like that. My glasses went flying and the bloke in front of me lost his hearing aid.

PROPER CHARLTON!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Worst.Coventry 2-3 cup win. Surrounded by arseholes who wanted to fight each other for most of the match. Most of them felt that they didn't need to go to the toilet at halftime. As long as they were in the vicinity they could have a piss. What should have been a great day spoiled by drunken dickheads.
  • Options
    BEST: Norwich, had some great results up there.

WORST: Stoke - what a shit hole, makes Kabul look like Cannes.
  • Options
    Another worse one for me is the 3-0 defeat at Wigan (Kamara hat trick), never did anything in the game.

Players came over after the game and were promptly told to eff off.
  • Options
    Best day out definitely Cov in the cup. 3-2 is in some ways the perfect game/result, especially if you come from behind like that (not that I'd object to a 5-0 stroll, you understand).

Used to enjoy Craven Cottage, but we always seem to lose there nowadays.

Sheff U in the cup was probably the single most frustrating day, but in general Luton away is really terrible - horrible ground, horrible town and yes i was there when we shipped 7.
  • Options
    Norwich away St Georges day was a great weekend
  • Options

I've mentioned it on here before but this was the game my wife asked me not to take her to any more away games as it was the most drunk she'd ever seen me.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Shrew said:

Best - I remember a 4-2 win at Walsall that was a lot of fun and the 3-1 at Stockport.

Worst - the fa cup match at Sheff utd , just hopes were so high and losing was so gutting.

Wasn't the Stockport game the first of consecutive hat-tricks for Andy Hunt?
    Yep, 'Oh Andy Hunt...' sung an awful lot that afternoon
    I'm sure Hunt got a hat-trick home and away against Stockport. Plus his hat-trick at Carrow Road.
  • Options

I've mentioned it on here before but this was the game my wife asked me not to take her to any more away games as it was the most drunk she'd ever seen me.
    That wasn't you that jumped into the river completely starkers was it...?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most meaningful is either the 'battle of the bridge' or the Leeds play off at St. Andrews. If we'd have lost either of them games then I'm not sure things would've panned out for our return to SE7 the way they did.
    Most memorable is the 0-6 Barnsley game. The most goals I've seen us score, played around my birthday so I had lots of friends and family with me for the weekend. To top it all off, after the game we went to the pub to watch Wigan beat millwall in the FA cup semi final whilst Bermondseys finest showed the watching nation what they're all about by fighting each other.
  • Options

That wasn't you that jumped into the river completely starkers was it...?
    No mate, don't think she'd still be my wife if it was! I'll never understand how I managed to make the restaurant in the evening, I was pretty incoherent about an hour after the game.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

red_murph said:

Best by far was Millwall away in the snow. Never celebrated goals like that. My glasses went flying and the bloke in front of me lost his hearing aid.

PROPER CHARLTON!
    Not quite. Bearing in mind it was bloody freezing I had no flask or blanket ;0)
  • Options

Most meaningful is either the 'battle of the bridge' or the Leeds play off at St. Andrews. If we'd have lost either of them games then I'm not sure things would've panned out for our return to SE7 the way they did.
    Most memorable is the 0-6 Barnsley game. The most goals I've seen us score, played around my birthday so I had lots of friends and family with me for the weekend. To top it all off, after the game we went to the pub to watch Wigan beat millwall in the FA cup semi final whilst Bermondseys finest showed the watching nation what they're all about by fighting each other.

Battle of the Bridge was only a great moment as Miller's goal looped in. The penalty was a very bad moment. I was going to mention the Leeds game at St Andrews. Technically, of course, that was a neutral ground rather than an away game. However, what a game that was!
  • Options
    Best away day ever when we beat Arsenal 4-1 (or was it 4-2 getting old!)

Worst - on boxing day when we lost 5-0 to the Hamsters and I was sitting amongst them with my son, awful!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    So many great matches, so many dreadful matches. It is so difficult to pick one from each.

So I will pick a few and still leave some out.

Worst:
    Standing on the half way line at the old Den to get a good view and watching a teddy sheringham master class hat trick.

Joining the old Luton membership scheme just to see us get stuffed and Andy Jones miss another sitter. Saw loads of addicts in dark glasses at half time including airman Brown.

Kent cup v millwall at The Valley. Second worst match for trouble I have been to. We won though. (Edit. Ok so it was a home match but it didn't seem that way at the time)

Worst and best at the same time:
    Away to Bristol rovers at eastville. Yes I was there for the 5-5. Great entertainment then after the match ended up with the biggest shines you ever did see. I didn't see it coming as it was aimed at my mate who did and ducked.

Best:
    Wolves away in facup 5th round. Yeah I know we got stuffed but I had a whole week of anticipating my biggest match to date with 8k Charlton there.

Man utd away in facup 5 round again. I will never forget the anticipation at half time after schmichael was send off all joining in the d-ream 'things vs only get better'.

The best ultimately has to be the astonishing mendonca hat trick at Wembley.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

So many great matches, so many dreadful matches. It is so difficult to pick one from each.

Worst:
    Standing on the half way line at the old Den to get a good view and watching a teddy sheringham master class hat trick.

Joining the old Luton membership scheme just to see us get stuffed and Andy Jones miss another sitter. Saw loads of addicts in dark glasses at half time including airman Brown.

Kent cup v millwall at The Valley. Second worst match for trouble I have been to. We won though

Away to Bristol rovers at eastville. Yes I was there for the 5-5. Great entertainment then after the match ended up with the biggest shines you ever did see. I didn't see it coming as it was aimed at my mate who did and ducked.

Best:
    Wolves away in facup 5th round. Yeah I know we got stuffed but I had a whole week of anticipating my biggest match to date with 8k Charlton there.

Man utd away in facup 5 round again. I will never forget the anticipation at half time after schmichael was send off all joining in the d-ream 'things vs only get better'.

Went to that game, Jones scored 2. I think the miss you refer to was on another plastic pitch in the 1-1 draw at Oldham.

Of course he may well have missed a sitter at Luton but I'm struggling to recall it.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Best away day ever when we beat Arsenal 4-1 (or was it 4-2 getting old!)

Worst - on boxing day when we lost 5-0 to the Hamsters and I was sitting amongst them with my son, awful!

4-2.
  • Options
    Best was a weekend in Carlisle in 1986.

Worst - Elland Road in the play offs was the nastiest atmosphere. Others: 7-0 at Brighton, drawing 2-2 at Millwall when we had gone 2-0 up with about a minute to go.
  • Options

Worst:

Kent cup v millwall at The Valley. Second worst match for trouble I have been to. We won though

Best:

Went to that game, Jones scored 2. I think the miss you refer to was on another plastic pitch in the 1-1 draw at Oldham.

Of course he may well have missed a sitter at Luton but I'm struggling to recall it.
    The way I remember it, although I been wrong before, is that late on he had a free header but knocked it down too sharp and it bounced over from about 4 yds. Although having done Oldham a few times, it might have been there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Worst:

Best:

The way I remember it, although I been wrong before, is that late on he had a free header but knocked it down too sharp and it bounced over from about 4 yds. Although having done Oldham a few times, it might have been there.
    The one in thinking of at Oldham was the night when Redfearn scored a belter for them (Salmon was in goal - may have been his debut) Watson levelled it. Jones had an open goal and from about 8 yards managed to put it over.

he missed so many sitters for us. Strangely I quite liked him as a player.
  • Options

Worst:

Kent cup v millwall at The Valley. Second worst match for trouble I have been to. We won though. (Edit. Ok so it was a home match but it didn't seem that way at the time)

Best:

I meant to included Newcastle away. The first time the fans had chartered a plane. I recall it being October and we had a very poor start to the season. We ended up winning 1-3 I think and the players joined us for the return trip.
    All the plane was singing 'going up' during the safety briefing and got a telling from the pilot.
    When we landed, a 'merry' Roy King decided that the whole terminal needed to know who we were via an unmanned microphone. A brilliant day.