Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church 100% support

Sorry to bring a third Simon Church thread to the forum in the space of 3 days, but I got engaged in a discussion with another lifer who felt Simon was getting unfairly criticised. Out of curiosity, I asked him to start a Simon Church support thread to see what reaction it gets. I can't wait that long, so here it is, a thread for all those who want lifers to lay off Simon. Over to you....

Comments

• Options
    100%
  • Options
    100% Support
  • Options
    100% support at the game if involved but if he does something like the offside abomination of Saturday I will discuss it on here.

That's what a forum is about isn't it?
  • Options
    Can't we have someone like Wilson as a stand in forward?

Seem to remember Palace used Danny Butterfield as a standin and it worked.

I am not being dramatic or rude when I say that we have absolutely no strikers in our squad that are worthy of the Championship, Church and Pigott wouldn't cut it in league 1 either.

I'd rather see us try something then have the rubbish we currently have up front.
  • Options
    I'll give him my support at the game but he's not been unfairly criticised. He's an awful awful player.
  • Options

Will never not support a Charlton player.

However, that doesn't stop me thinking he's utter rubbish.

this
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    90% support and as every minute passes when he doesn't score the percentage drops

;-)
  • Options
    As long as he wears a Charlton shirt and on the pitch, 100% support. No booing or slagging off while trying. After the game, then it depends how he did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Don't like giving grief too our own players, particularly when, for effort at least, they can't be faulted. If Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Djimi Traore, Amdy Faye and so on had put in the same amount of effort as Church does then we might still be a Premier League club.

Similarly, when we had the likes of Francis, McCormack and Mooney, all of whom were rubbish for us, I didn't think it was right to boo them because it wasn't their fault that they were the best we could afford.

Putting aside the rights and wrongs of it, it's so utterly counter-productive getting on your own players backs as it adversely affects their performance. The Simon Francis who played against us for Bournemouth the other week looked a whole lot better than the one who turned out for us - wonder if that's got anything to do with not having his own supporter's constantly telling him how crap he is.

Spot on. 100% Support.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

As long as he wears a Charlton shirt and on the pitch, 100% support. No booing or slagging off while trying. After the game, then it depends how he did.

this
  • Options
    Trying to remember which player it was, I think it was Kevin Lisbie, that would get loads of abuse and @AFKABartram would turn round and shout at the crowd to 'leave him alone, it's not his fault he keeps getting picked'

Same applies with church, no matter what you think of him he's certainly not sitting at home all week figuring out how he's going to play badly at the next match. No matter what it looks like I'm sure he's trying to play well

If you really don't think he should be on the pitch then your problem should be with Riga and previously Powell. The player himself however should get 100% support every time he pulls on the shirt
  • Options

I have been his biggest critic since Day 1, well before all you johnnie come lately's, yet anyone who boos one of their own players during a game has the intelligence of a satsuma past its sell by date.

I don't rate him at all, but if he plays there won't be anyone wanting him to score more than me.

The modern Day Kim Grant
  • Options
    I don't think he's good enough but some of the criticism of him over the last few weeks has been way over the top, he's not our only poor striker after all and he is our overall top scorer (minus Yann).
  • Options
    would be amazed if he started the game tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NugNug
    edited April 2014
    He's a very average striker playing in a team that is absolutely chuff at creating chances, a terrible combination but not just his fault. Even Kerms a very decent striker at this level struggled, Sordell, Obika, Reza all struggling to score goals. He's a Charlton player and always looks like he's giving his all, 100% support if he plays.
  • Options
    If I was Church I’d say create me some chances to miss before you judge me. The fact is, on Saturday he had absolutely no service. No, the truth is – I don’t rate him that highly – but if we want to blame him for the fact that nobody was supporting him offensively and nobody played any good balls to him, well that is just lazy. You can say over the course of the season he hasn’t been good enough, I wouldn’t disagree – but he was actually putting a bit more in on Saturday than some others.

Now, he has played a lot of games recently – but what did Jacko do on Saturday. He put in a couple of awful corners – didn’t get up at all and I don’t recall him completing a pass. Was Church worse than him on Saturday? Harriot didn’t take anybody on – he was surely in the team to beat players, but instead checked back and passed, posing no attacking threat whatsoever – did he play better than Church?

The photo on this site showing him going for a header with Spongebob’s head superimposed – well that was actually one of our better moments in the game and a decent header! I’m just calling it as I saw it.

We have previous as a club for getting on the bandwagon and scapegoating a player and it achieves absolutely nothing. So if Church was sold, I wouldn’t be protesting – but as long as he puts the effort in and wears the shirt – he has my support. Yes, I might prefer him not to be picked, but if he is picked, I’ll support him. And so should everybody else.
  • Options
    WE Do Simon, we do, your not alone
  • Options
    Goals record needs to be improved...
  • Options
    Simon Church ..... 100% frustration. Wouldn't Boo him though just mutter under my breathe as he misses another sitter... 'What an anchor'
  • Options

Churchy has received way too much stick, should never be ridiculed on the pitch and to be fair he is a good pro with many strengths.

Its just that scoring goals from nothing is not one of them and that is what we desperately need now for survival.

I think that's why he is singled out. If Sordell, Obika or anyone was scoring and Churchy was putting in a good shift and offering the odd assist no-one would care. But we need goals when we create little and we have all seen him miss those few chances we do create with weak and lame attempts.

The only player who might just create something from nothing, is not afraid to shoot and has more confidence in his own ability that anyone else in the stadium is Reza. If we gave him 100% support it might actually result in a goal or two where as 100% for Churchy would only be out of kindness and loyalty.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    He's getting a lot of stick because he's not producing goals. What we lack is an out and out goalscorer, he isn't that and never has been so why we're expecting him to be banging them in left, right and centre be that is somewhat unfair.
  • Options
    I say we make a huge flag, like the one with hales on it, with churchys face on and we carry it around the ground
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Its fair to criticise him on here but as many have said, once he's on I hope he puts as many away as possible and to do that he'll need support. And a miracle.
  • Options

would be amazed if he started the game tonight

If he does I want a refund