Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sweden v England

Comments

• Options
    Can we lose to Sweden? Well we all know the answer to that - most definitely. I said last night we needed a very un-England performance after the equaliser and winning on pens is about as un-England as you can get.

We need to repeat the 'un-England-ness' versus a team who you just know have a habit of turning us over.

But like Shooters says, take a look at their starting line up. Players from Abu Dhabi, the MLS, Russian sides (and not the good ones), Scandanavian leagues.

Make no mistake we should be winning this comfortably (doesnt mean we will though - we have to attack it like no game ever before)
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Rothko said:

Sterling starts, we lack a passer in the midfield to open up defenses, so you need a tricky player to cause problems otherwise, and Sterling did that well, he also puts in a massive shift. Alli isn't fit, and can't see him backing up in time for Saturday.

Sweden are a bit of a bogey side in tournaments, can't remember beating them in one, just scrappy draws up being popped open by Thomas Brolin in Stockholm in '92.

Euro 2012 mate - 3-2
    Oh yeah, the lump it up to Andy Carroll game
    who would believe that Welbeck and Carroll up front together could become one of the deadliest dues to wear the England shirt.
  • Options
    an improvement required from last night although the swedes don't see as dirty as the colombians so may be a more free running game.
  • Options
    Didn’t realise Benteke didn’t even make the Belgium squad. He’s at Amida in Beckenham with all the other Croydon twats.
  • Options

I'm supposed to be playing cricket on Saturday.

Can feel an injury coming on.

Sensible cricket sides will of course try and construct their lunch-breaks with the football in mind...
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Interesting listening to Sam Allardyce this morning on TalkShite. He suggested going to a straight 4-4-2, as Sweden don't really have an attacking threat with Ibrahimovic now retired and we don't need a 3rd centre-back...and we should drop Trippier.

Trippier has been one of our better players, if not the best so far in this tournament.

The Swedes will sit back and play counter-attack. Its up to us to break them down. Can we do that, that is the question?
    This is the time you just wish that England had a midfield playmaker.

At the moment I'd consider Trippier as Player of the Tournament

Of course he wont get it as he's not a goalscorer or player with flair and trickery to wow the crowds
    Fair comment also up there are McGuire and Stones for me.
  • Options
    does anybody know if the george london bridge is tickets only? as they have a huge screen there so may head for there v early doors.
  • Options

I'm supposed to be playing cricket on Saturday.

Can feel an injury coming on.

Mind you don't get caught out, make it plausible :wink:
  • Options
    Anyone watch at Angels- Tonbridge area? last night was buzzing, will prob go there every game now. Was going to head to London if we make final but will stick there, great atmosphere with my mates and was rammed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    RedChaser said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Interesting listening to Sam Allardyce this morning on TalkShite. He suggested going to a straight 4-4-2, as Sweden don't really have an attacking threat with Ibrahimovic now retired and we don't need a 3rd centre-back...and we should drop Trippier.

Trippier has been one of our better players, if not the best so far in this tournament.

The Swedes will sit back and play counter-attack. Its up to us to break them down. Can we do that, that is the question?
    This is the time you just wish that England had a midfield playmaker.

At the moment I'd consider Trippier as Player of the Tournament

Of course he wont get it as he's not a goalscorer or player with flair and trickery to wow the crowds
    Fair comment also up there are McGuire and Stones for me.
    I'd also say fair comment but its MAGUIRE... We aint Scotland ;)

On a serious note I think that Godin and Giménez for Uruguay are only the Centre Backs better than those you mention
  • Options
    Blimey. I'm here in Sweden. Everyone appears to be wearing Swedish football shirts.
    Talked to some Swedish people this morning who watched the game and congratulated us on winning.
    Bet they are pleased they are not playing the cheating Colombians.
    T.V. news features Harry Kane.
  • Options
    Ah! I was thinking best English player in the tournament so far :blush:
  • Options

So Euphoria over, we may well get through this one with a same standard performance but we need to find another gear, even two gears, before we can think about not coming up short against a better team.

Alli, Sterling and Lingard carry so much attacking responsibility for us but are just not at world class level. I’ve no idea how we change that, without hot changing the whole for,action. RLC for Alli maybe?

Sums it up for me. We struggled to break down a very poor Colombian side last night and our play in the final third was poor. We offer no real goal threat apart from set pieces.

Sterling & Lingard are more like the Chuckle Brothers, not world class footballers.
  • Options
    Watched Sweden play the Swiss. yesterday afternoon.
    They looked fairly ordinary to me.
    England at full strength and fit would certainly give them a game but we looked physically shattered and will carry a few injuries so I think we will struggle.
  • Options

does anybody know if the george london bridge is tickets only? as they have a huge screen there so may head for there v early doors.

Even if it is, just go to the Heeltap next door (entrance next alley down) and you can watch from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Watched Sweden play the Swiss. yesterday afternoon.
    They looked fairly ordinary to me.
    England at full strength and fit would certainly give them a game but we looked physically shattered and will carry a few injuries so I think we will struggle.

Southgate quoted as saying the dressing room after was like a scene from MASH. Lots of knocks and tired bodies.
  • Options

I swear we could win the whole bloody thing and people would still come out with comments like "we scraped past a very poor Brazil side" "sterling was rubbish" "we were lucky the Germans were already out" etc etc

exactly ! I dont give a fuck , its COMING HOME !!!
  • Options

I swear we could win the whole bloody thing and people would still come out with comments like "we scraped past a very poor Brazil side" "sterling was rubbish" "we were lucky the Germans were already out" etc etc

well, we technically could. You don't get additional points for playing well, with style, taking out the top teams etc.

We have a very good spirit, work hard, are very good at set pieces and (so far) have a striker who has been very reliable with penalties. But every game we have played so far has either been a stop-start side show, or a reserve game. The nearest we have come to a fluent game of football was vs Tunisia, who are clearly inferior to us and played deep encouraging us to play with possession.

The last 10 mins of normal time last night and then the 1st half of extra time concerned me at just how poor we are at retaining possession when a team is pressing us higher up the pitch. Which the better teams will do better and for longer in a game than what Panama, Tunisia and Columbia have attempted

We have scored just one goal, a deflection off a heel, from open play.

We are getting results and progressing. Its great. Lets hope the momentum it takes us to the next level performance wise. But we are not getting there with golden generation stuff imo. Apologies if that sounds a bit deflating.

• Options

well, we technically could. You don't get additional points for playing well, with style, taking out the top teams etc.

We have a very good spirit, work hard, are very good at set pieces and (so far) have a striker who has been very reliable with penalties. But every game we have played so far has either been a stop-start side show, or a reserve game. The nearest we have come to a fluent game of football was vs Tunisia, who are clearly inferior to us and played deep encouraging us to play with possession.

The last 10 mins of normal time last night and then the 1st half of extra time concerned me at just how poor we are at retaining possession when a team is pressing us higher up the pitch. Which the better teams will do better and for longer in a game than what Panama, Tunisia and Columbia have attempted

We have scored just one goal, a deflection off a heel, from open play.

We are getting results and progressing. Its great. Lets hope the momentum it takes us to the next level performance wise. But we are not getting there with golden generation stuff imo. Apologies if that sounds a bit deflating.

Jessie Lingard scored against Panama from open play
    of course, fair point

• Options
    Its true we're not scoring enough from open play but we're certainly getting in those areas

Four goals have been scored directly from corners (We've had 23 over the course of the Tournament) whilst two of our penalties have also been from corners... We need to keep getting into this position as come the final third of the pitch we are a threat

Yes it was difficult last night as the Colombian CBs were outstanding yet at the same time, the way we line up in that line means we're hard to man mark which is then causing panic amongst the opposition and so ensuring our players get fouled for the penalty
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The thing with Sterling is that he is best when he's got 4 or 5 yards of space and he can explode past people. So far, he's been kicked about and tightly marked. Under pressure when receiving the ball he gives it away more times than not. Playing with City he's got the players that create that space for him and its why he's had such a good season. The only time its happened for him in this tournament is the first half against Panama after we took the lead. The players around him all wanted the ball, created space and he flourished, setting up a couple of goals.
  • Options
    Can Loftus-Cheek start or is he injured? I thought he looked really dangerous first two games.