Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sweden v England

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018

Redrobo said:

Sweden and Switzerland gave the ball away so often, and if Sweden do so against us they are likely to get punished. They dealt with crosses very well and are well organised throughout. Probably best discribed as the old English style of football. It was also a very open game and few serious fouls.

I think Sterling will be our biggest threat in opening them up, especially coming in from the wing.

To be fair RR we too are good at giving the ball away so I would say if Sweden do it it will be equal. Take a look at the 1st half hi-lights from last night and you will struggle to see Lingard finding a team mate with a pass or creating something for himself without losing the ball.
    England's ability to keep hold of the ball has been one of the biggest positives this tournament.
  • Options
    Drop Ali and Sterling, and replace with Cheek and Rashford. Sorted.
  • Options

Look at us bottom of the pile in a list of wanky shit football clubs ffs Roland fuck off
    I thought Kane played for Orient.
  • Options
    Same team please. To quote Tower of Power - Don't Change Horses in the middle of the stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wffRNjGGr4E
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Don't get all the negativity. We don't need to be the best team in the entire tournament, don't need to be playing blinding football every game, how did that work out for Spain? We just have to beat the teams put in front of us. All 3 of the teams left on our side of the bracket are beatable, Sweden especially, then we're in the final and that's one game where we have to turn up and play our best football.

Were Wigan the best team in the cup when they won the FA Cup final? No, but they got to the final and then beat Man City in the final. My old man is always saying England weren't the best team in the 66 World Cup, but we won that too. Why can't we do the same?

Is that you son ? :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The football league and non-league post is a selection of clubs I believe, not a list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No doubt England have caused problems with their set plays. Sweden won’t be quite so obliging and will be more solid from corners and free kicks. Should be fascinating game.

Colombia have two solid centre backs in Davinson Sanchez and Mina and we caused them problems all night.

If Dier didn't have a 50p head we wouldn't have even needed penalties.
    But I don’t see Sweden taking up wrestling at corners like Panama and Colombia did.

• Options

Yet they pick Jesse Lingard for the picture who came through Man U academy!
    I few seasons back I saw him score against us (CAFC) for Derby .. he's done his apprenticeship
  • Options

Yet they pick Jesse Lingard for the picture who came through Man U academy!
    I few seasons back I saw him score against us (CAFC) for Derby .. he's done his apprenticeship
    Also tore us apart for Brighton at their place.
  • Options
    Not sure if its been mentioned but right back Lustig is suspended.

He has played all but 9 minutes this world cup, the player who replaced him v Switzerland was Krafth.

If he replaces him on Saturday it could be an opportunity to attack down the left.

Krafth plays for Bologna and I dont watch much Italian Football but it looks like he played 12 games last season and most of those as a sub
  • Options
    Andreas Granqvist the Swedish skipper and central defender is a man mountain who wins most everything in the air .. a terrific old fashioned defender.. like Maguire he also loves to break upfield with the ball as an extra attacker ..
    on the other hand at times he looks as slow to turn as an oil laden super-tanker .. the moral is ... play round him and don't put too many speculative high balls in to their area .. Big A G will eat those up for fun
  • Options
    Putting a Tenner on 1-0 England - suggest you all do likewise ...
  • Options

Not sure if its been mentioned but right back Lustig is suspended.

He has played all but 9 minutes this world cup, the player who replaced him v Switzerland was Krafth.

If he replaces him on Saturday it could be an opportunity to attack down the left.

Krafth plays for Bologna and I dont watch much Italian Football but it looks like he played 12 games last season and most of those as a sub

Sounds like a Krafth player though...
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Don't get all the negativity. We don't need to be the best team in the entire tournament, don't need to be playing blinding football every game, how did that work out for Spain? We just have to beat the teams put in front of us. All 3 of the teams left on our side of the bracket are beatable, Sweden especially, then we're in the final and that's one game where we have to turn up and play our best football.

Were Wigan the best team in the cup when they won the FA Cup final? No, but they got to the final and then beat Man City in the final. My old man is always saying England weren't the best team in the 66 World Cup, but we won that too. Why can't we do the same?

Is that you son ? :wink:
    By Jove I think I might have found him and you all think I'm joking. Come over to the dark side you know it makes sense :naughty:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at the seaside on the south coast during the 1966 final. There was a crowd around our car listening to the radio. We all cheered and hugged the strangers around us come the final whistle.

Just found out that I will be in Teignmouth at the time of the 2018 final. That's on the south coast for those who don't know Devon.

It's an omen I tell you. I feel it in my water and we are going all the way. Put some dosh on it, you can thank me later.
  • Options
    Look how many Croatians are on yellow cards...

• Options

They go back to 0 after the quarters dont they, so highly unlikely to be banned for Final thankfully can see Walker or Henderson getting booked in Semi
  • Options
    Henderson and Lingard bookings were stupid.
    They will regret it when miss the semifinal
  • Options

They go back to 0 after the quarters dont they, so highly unlikely to be banned for Final thankfully can see Walker or Henderson getting booked in Semi
    Got to be in the semi to get booked during it!
  • Options
    edited July 2018

One Uruguay booking all tournament reflects their new discipline. Dark horses.

They could be famous last words Henners, I have visions of the red mist descending before the curtain closes on their tournament with Suarez turning cannibal once again.
  • Options
    Uruguay best defensive team out there.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Uruguay best defensive team out there.

No surprise with Godin and Gimenez

They keep clean sheets for fun at Atletico
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I know you shouldn't change a winning team too much and i know Southgate won't change it but i'd play

Pickford

Trippier Stones Maguire Rose

RLC Henderson

Lingard

Rashford Kane Sterling

Walker has looked a liability to me

I can't see Southgate changing from the back 3 and I don't think he should because both Stones and Maguire are revelling in this formation. I said Walker was playing in his weakest position instead of Wing back but Trippier had improved so much that he can't be dropped.

Having been critical of Sterling, I guess the biggest problem is he has better players around him at City than England with the exception of Kane. Until we find a Eriksen or Modric in midfield to dictate play we will find it difficult to go deep into tournaments on a regular basis ( WC or Euro)
    Sweden are beatable IF we find our A game but can only say it's 50/50 because of our inability to score from open play other than the cracker from Lingard and Harry's heal.