Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sweden v England

Comments

• Unpopular opinion: Sterling makes us tick, we became very average when he went off.

I somewhat agree with this. He got himself into lots of great positions yesterday, and I'm sure the stats will show he saw the ball more out of any of our attacking players.

I wish he was just not so frenetic when he had the ball at his feet, you can get away with that for city when you're playing wider and have more space - however for England as he is paying central he has the opposition players on him straight away.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Interesting listening to Sam Allardyce this morning on TalkShite. He suggested going to a straight 4-4-2, as Sweden don't really have an attacking threat with Ibrahimovic now retired and we don't need a 3rd centre-back...and we should drop Trippier.

Trippier has been one of our better players, if not the best so far in this tournament.

The Swedes will sit back and play counter-attack. Its up to us to break them down. Can we do that, that is the question?
    This is the time you just wish that England had a midfield playmaker.

At the moment I'd consider Trippier as Player of the Tournament

Of course he wont get it as he's not a goalscorer or player with flair and trickery to wow the crowds
  • So Euphoria over, we may well get through this one with a same standard performance but we need to find another gear, even two gears, before we can think about not coming up short against a better team.

Alli, Sterling and Lingard carry so much attacking responsibility for us but are just not at world class level. I’ve no idea how we change that, without hot changing the whole for,action. RLC for Alli maybe?

I really tried not to be too abjective about Sterling as the game progressed. I really am struggling with him though.
    He looked so lightweight and pretty much lost for a large percentage of that game
    His link up play with Kane is poor and his ability to pressurise defences and chase the ball is non existent.
    That might well be his game but he just looks like a luxury that we can ill afford as this goes on. Doubt he would be much use as an impact sub either.
    Not sure what the solution is?
    There's not a lot else in the squad.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Interesting listening to Sam Allardyce this morning on TalkShite. He suggested going to a straight 4-4-2, as Sweden don't really have an attacking threat with Ibrahimovic now retired and we don't need a 3rd centre-back...and we should drop Trippier.

Trippier has been one of our better players, if not the best so far in this tournament.

The Swedes will sit back and play counter-attack. Its up to us to break them down. Can we do that, that is the question?

I'd have turned it off after that.
  • So Euphoria over, we may well get through this one with a same standard performance but we need to find another gear, even two gears, before we can think about not coming up short against a better team.

Alli, Sterling and Lingard carry so much attacking responsibility for us but are just not at world class level. I’ve no idea how we change that, without hot changing the whole for,action. RLC for Alli maybe?

Yeah, RLC for Alli, Rashford for Sterling and Vardy as backup.

It just don't happen for Sterling at international level and a World Cup ain't the right place to keep giving a player chances.
  • Don’t think we’ve really started playing yet, but who cares. I’m giving Southgate credit for the Belgium defeat which means we will get to the final against France.
    Watched Sweden yesterday and they are piss poor. We could make changes and rest a few and still coast to the semis. I would rest Sterling for about 10 years.
  • Sterling starts, we lack a passer in the midfield to open up defenses, so you need a tricky player to cause problems otherwise, and Sterling did that well, he also puts in a massive shift. Alli isn't fit, and can't see him backing up in time for Saturday.

Sweden are a bit of a bogey side in tournaments, can't remember beating them in one, just scrappy draws up being popped open by Thomas Brolin in Stockholm in '92.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have zero time for Allardyce's try not to lose mentality.
  • Could you imagine if Fat Sam was in charge for this World cup. he probably would have recalled John Terry, to play alongside Gary Cahill, and Rooney would be starting still.
  • Rothko said:

Sterling starts, we lack a passer in the midfield to open up defenses, so you need a tricky player to cause problems otherwise, and Sterling did that well, he also puts in a massive shift. Alli isn't fit, and can't see him backing up in time for Saturday.

Sweden are a bit of a bogey side in tournaments, can't remember beating them in one, just scrappy draws up being popped open by Thomas Brolin in Stockholm in '92.

Euro 2012 mate - 3-2
  • edited July 2018
    and 2006 World Cup (2-1); Cole hit a screamer with Owen on the deck screaming as thats when he picked up that nasty injury
  • Sterling needs to be dropped for Rashford, he did get better but Rashford will scare the defenders more. What i dont understand is why we are playing sterling practically up top or in a free role, he doesn't play there for City... Only person who doesn't suit the system imo, would work better as a sub with his pace.
  • Rothko said:

Sterling starts, we lack a passer in the midfield to open up defenses, so you need a tricky player to cause problems otherwise, and Sterling did that well, he also puts in a massive shift. Alli isn't fit, and can't see him backing up in time for Saturday.

Euro 2012 mate - 3-2
    Oh yeah, the lump it up to Andy Carroll game
  • Sponsored links:

• If Sterling were to be dropped, which I don't think he should be, I'd bring in Loftus-Cheek and push Dele up behind Kane. Rashford hasn't done anything Sterling hasn't.

Rashford came on too late last night, i would have made it at half time. Sterling is a good player for city but doesn't play the same way or position for England.
  • I have zero time for Allardyce's try not to lose mentality.

• Rothko said:

Could you imagine if Fat Sam was in charge for this World cup. he probably would have recalled John Terry, to play alongside Gary Cahill, and Rooney would be starting still.

Can see it now.

' It's the Sun wot won it!'
  • and 2006 World Cup (2-1); Cole hit a screamer with Owen on the deck screaming as thats when he picked up that nasty injury

That finished 2-2 Henrik Larsson scored in the 90th min. Don’t tell me you turned off with 2 mins left and have spent the last 12 years thinking we won that game?!?
    Have to admit, I remember the Joe Cole wonder goal, I remember the equaliser and remember Owen going down injured

Couldnt have told you that Gerrard scored (or so late), certainly dont remember the second equaliser
  • JohnBoyUK said:

So he would go 442 v a Sweden side who topped a group with Mexico and germany in because they have little attacking threat...
    I don't disagree overall but Sweden have scored as many goals in this tournament as we did against Panama so he does kind of have a point. The problem is that Sweden have also conceded as many goals in this tournament as we did against Panama!

• I'm supposed to be playing cricket on Saturday.

Can feel an injury coming on.

Just get a hose and flood the pitch overnight