Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Halal meat in Asda

Comments

• Options
    I shop regularly in Asda's & I have no problem with it. Meat is meat. End of.

The bigger issue is why we are allowing religion to be an issue - but we are in 2018 & not 1918. PC brigade & all that.
  • Options
    Gillis said:

Tesco says the only difference between the halal meat it sells and other meat is that it was blessed as it was killed.

Must be some busy Imams out there.

• Options

Personally speaking, it ain't the fact that it's halal, it's the unethical dispatching of an animal, whether it's halal, kosher or just bad practice. All the years we've taken to educate producers and installing rules and regulations for the ethical treatment of domestic and wild animals, just for it to be overlooked because of religion.

Absolutely. I guess the Halal sign just shocked me.

Least you knew you wouldn't be slaughtered after you were shocked
  • Options

Personally speaking, it ain't the fact that it's halal, it's the unethical dispatching of an animal, whether it's halal, kosher or just bad practice. All the years we've taken to educate producers and installing rules and regulations for the ethical treatment of domestic and wild animals, just for it to be overlooked because of religion.

“Ethical”?

For some of us ethical treatment of non-human animals would involve NOT slaughtering them for food at all.

Your views on the issues surrounding the killing of non-human species have been expressed on this site repeatedly over a number of years, so I don’t need another run through... just couldn’t help but react to you taking the moral high ground here.
  • Options

The bigger issue is why we are allowing religion to be an issue - but we are in 2018 & not 1918. PC brigade & all that.

Of course there was far far far more religion and it invaded much more of everyday life in this country in 1918 than now but don't let history or facts get in the way of a moan about the mythical "PC Brigade".
  • Options

“Ethical”?

For some of us ethical treatment of non-human animals would involve NOT slaughtering them for food at all.

Your views on the issues surrounding the killing of non-human species have been expressed on this site repeatedly over a number of years, so I don’t need another run through... just couldn’t help but react to you taking the moral high ground here.
    So what's the "ethical" way to ensure all these species of domesticated farm animals don't go extinct then, if everyone "sees the light" and stops eating meat?

Genuinely lost for words when people can't see that there are ethical ways to rear and slaughter animals and there is also unethical way of doing it. Unless this is a massive wooosh
  • Options
    To those vegans among us, where do you buy your fruit and veg?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Personally won’t eat it, as it puts a lot of British butchers out of business as the whole halal process only employs a certain religion and that’s wrong imo!

It’s also extremely cruel.

Halal meat puts a lot of British butchers out of business?

Can you explain that? How would the method of slaughter of an animal put a butcher out of business? What nationality of butcher is replacing the British butchers who are displaced?
    Supermarkets are putting British butchers out of business.

Some were replaced by halal butchers, because there was a demand for it, and you couldn’t get it in the supermarket.

Now you can and supermarkets will be putting halal butchers out of business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Of course there was far far far more religion and it invaded much more of everyday life in this country in 1918 than now but don't let history or facts get in the way of a moan about the mythical "PC Brigade".
    Where do the PC brigade live - are they mythical or real? I realise life was better in the old days but is everything in modern life that's rubbish down to the PC brigade. Is it okay to blame them for everything?

How far back should we turn the clock? The middle ages was a good laugh from what I've heard and you could have a right good ruck. I miss the good old days when there was no health and safety or foods standard nonsense.

• Options
    Wouldn’t feed it to me cat.
  • Options

Personally won’t eat it, as it puts a lot of British butchers out of business as the whole halal process only employs a certain religion and that’s wrong imo!

Edit this goes with any meat hats ridiculous religious bs were animals aren’t humanely slaughtered.

• Options
    Meat is murder

Tasty tasty murder.
  • Options
    Are meat hats the latest fashion accessory? What type of meat should you wear?
  • Options

It always makes me chuckle when the subject of halal meat comes up and the wave of ‘animal rights activists’ who come out of the woodwork to complain about it, how it’s cruel, how it’s barbaric blah blah. The bottom line folks is this - there is no ‘humane’ way to take the life of an animal that just wants to live. No animal heads down the slaughterline ramp exclaiming ‘ I really hope I’m going to be stunned before I have my throat slit and my blood drained out’. To claim one way is preferable is pure human arrogance and to condemn halal slaughter yet accepting other ways of slaughter often points to a wider agenda.

Quite simply, if you truly give a shit about animals you wouldn’t eat them. Full stop.

• Options

Chizz said:

Can you explain that? How would the method of slaughter of an animal put a butcher out of business? What nationality of butcher is replacing the British butchers who are displaced?

Some were replaced by halal butchers, because there was a demand for it, and you couldn’t get it in the supermarket.

"Supermarkets are putting British butchers out of business. Some were replaced by halal butchers..."

Can you explain what nationality these "halal butchers" are that are putting "British butchers" out of business?
  • Options
    Jesus, where do I start pointing out the hypocrisy in militant veganism.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

"Supermarkets are putting British butchers out of business. Some were replaced by halal butchers..."

Can you explain what nationality these "halal butchers" are that are putting "British butchers" out of business?
    I think they live with the PC brigade and PC police.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz
    Palarsehater already explained this to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Howells said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz
    Chizz is saying that, because the butchers are muslim, don't mean to say they ain't British
  • Options
    Our local Tesco sells Halal meat. I sometimes buy it if i want something specific, i.e Mutton or a kebab mix. Anyway I'm pretty much resigned to the meat industry being the slaughter of animals for my pleasure. Strangely I do buy free-range eggs, however i also sometimes buy cakes, pies or such and almost certainly these processed foods are not using free-range. As for meat eating I have a mother, wife and daughter's who are all vegetarian, so I do get some stick.
  • Options

Howells said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz
    Chizz is saying that, because the butchers are muslim, don't mean to say they ain't British
    Yes.
    But the whole point was summed up well enough by PH initially.
    Seems like chizz hasn't responded properly to it and is digging again
  • Options
    Howells said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz
    @palarsehater said "Apologies the post should of (sic) read non-Muslim butchers". But @SomervilleAddick has said that "halal butchers" are replacing "British butchers". So I'd be interested to learn - as I don't know - which countries these non-British halal butchers come from.

Do you know?
  • Options

Where do the PC brigade live - are they mythical or real? I realise life was better in the old days but is everything in modern life that's rubbish down to the PC brigade. Is it okay to blame them for everything?

How far back should we turn the clock? The middle ages was a good laugh from what I've heard and you could have a right good ruck. I miss the good old days when there was no health and safety or foods standard nonsense.

I'm in the PC brigade. I'm not telling any of the rabid mouthfrothers on here where I live.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Pets Vs Farmed animals is the real argument starter. Anything you define as a pet in the modern western world should not be deemed meat.

I only really eat cow, white fish and salmon and of course chicken. Don't agree with lamb and only eat pork in the rare (once every 2-3 month) bacon sarnie.

If all meat was banned, I certainly wouldn't complain. As it is however I am gluttonous for beef and chicken and find it almost impossible not to choose it when it's available.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I just stick to eating humans these days. Raw or flame grilled, no preference.
  • Options

I just stick to eating humans these days.

Halal?
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I just stick to eating humans these days.

Halal?
    I’m not that bothered to be honest. As long as it tastes nice and there’s a bit of bisto with it.