Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Halal meat in Asda

123457»

Comments

• Options

Personally speaking, it ain't the fact that it's halal, it's the unethical dispatching of an animal, whether it's halal, kosher or just bad practice. All the years we've taken to educate producers and installing rules and regulations for the ethical treatment of domestic and wild animals, just for it to be overlooked because of religion.

Who is 'we'..?
  • Options

Personally speaking, it ain't the fact that it's halal, it's the unethical dispatching of an animal, whether it's halal, kosher or just bad practice. All the years we've taken to educate producers and installing rules and regulations for the ethical treatment of domestic and wild animals, just for it to be overlooked because of religion.

Who is 'we'..?
    The EU.

Regulation (EC) NO 1099/2009 on the protection of animals at the time of killing, to slaughterhouse operators
  • Options
    I much prefer my meat shot in the head with a lump of metal, a slit neck sound cruel
  • Options
    Personally, I'm just glad that no-one has mentioned fish...
  • Options

Personally, I'm just glad that no-one has mentioned fish...

Never the same since he “fell through the glass table”.
  • Options

Usually get our shopping from ASDA delivered, but popped out for a paper this morning and the traffic by Brands Hatch was dire so I went to ASDA instead.

Probably the best first paragraph written on this site. I'm intrigued as to how this story continues. :smile:
  • Options
    So this thread has gone from Halal meat to Veggies/Vegans versus Meat eaters. It was inevitable I guess.
    IMO, Any ideas that come from a religion background should be ignored, religion is the root of all evil, it is all smoke and mirrors, mixed in with the greatest double standards known to man, who with his underlying need to dominate and repress people, invented god. As others have said the meat tastes the same.

I am a meat eater, I eat vegetables too, I like eating both, I understand that eating red meat is potentially dangerous to my body, I understand that drinking too much alcohol is potentially dangerous to my body, however I consider my diet very well balanced, I also know that one day I will die anyway, regardless of what I eat.
    I would like to think that the animals I eat have been slaughtered humanely, but if not I wont lose any sleep over it.

I have many friends who do not eat meet, some train in my association and they are the first ones blowing out their arses, yes I know Mo Farah etc etc, but I can only speak as I find, so I dont buy into being a vegan/veggie is better health/fitness wise.

However if a person does not want to eat meat because they dont want an animal to die for them, then I applaud their stance.

I read a report a few years back and it stated that if the whole world suddenly went veggie or even vegan, that within 3 -6 months the human population would start dying out from starvation, simple because there is not enough space on the earth to grow enough food, if meat and fish was removed completely from our diet. Add in that almost all the animals that are eaten would, by default, be extinct anyway, so those cuddly lambs etc wouldn't be around, and dont say we need wool, like I say there wouldn't be enough crops etc for us humans, so the animals would get slaughtered.

As humans we are omnivores, being veggie/vegan is a choice as is drinking alcohol and following a religion like sheep (how ironic), just dont take the moral high ground.

• Options
    D_F_T said:

I became a vegetarian about 6 years ago simply because I didn't want to eat Halal (or Kosher) and I couldn't find a sure way of finding if it was or wasn't. Best thing I ever done and I haven't regretted it once. My reasons not to eat Halal (or Kosher) wasn't based on any prejudice against Muslims (or Jews) but because I don't like the way the animals are slaughtered.

You gave up meat - including pork and bacon - because you couldn't find a sure way of finding if it was halal?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Who is 'we'..?
    The EU.

Regulation (EC) NO 1099/2009 on the protection of animals at the time of killing, to slaughterhouse operators
    Is Asda breaking the law? Or are there exemptions built into it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

D_F_T said:

I became a vegetarian about 6 years ago simply because I didn't want to eat Halal (or Kosher) and I couldn't find a sure way of finding if it was or wasn't. Best thing I ever done and I haven't regretted it once. My reasons not to eat Halal (or Kosher) wasn't based on any prejudice against Muslims (or Jews) but because I don't like the way the animals are slaughtered.

You gave up meat - including pork and bacon - because you couldn't find a sure way of finding if it was halal?
    Most times I've been in Asda shoppers are busy debating about how the meat has been slaughtered - depends on the branch.
  • Options
    Been watching a nature prog where an animal suffered ridiculously from an attack by lions. Awful watching, and I guess if the animal could just die in front of them without being torn apart, it would choose just. We have the choice to offer that. Halal is awful (I've seen the videos) and shouldn't be allowed here.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I read a report a few years back and it stated that if the whole world suddenly went veggie or even vegan, that within 3 -6 months the human population would start dying out from starvation, simple because there is not enough space on the earth to grow enough food

this is completely false. in fact the opposite is true. if we ate the crops that we feed to the animals, seven times more people would get fed.

• Options
    Chizz said:

D_F_T said:

All meat, so yes that would include pork and bacon. I know they couldn't or shouldn't be Halal or Kosher but I decided to stop eating meat completely.

• Options

Greenie said:

I read a report a few years back and it stated that if the whole world suddenly went veggie or even vegan, that within 3 -6 months the human population would start dying out from starvation, simple because there is not enough space on the earth to grow enough food

this is completely false. in fact the opposite is true. if we ate the crops that we feed to the animals, seven times more people would get fed.

More crops are grown to feed animals for human consumption than are grown for human consumption.
  • Options
    Thank you for that, very interesting. As I suspected, even though this thread was started in April 2018, shortly after the Cheltenham and Aintree festivals, I can’t see any outrage from any of the posters who attack horse racing every Spring.
  • Options
    Had an appointment at QEH Woolwich today. Popped up to the restaurant for a coffee. It was just before lunch and the menu went up - both meat dishes were Halal. WTAF?