Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Ajose - pg 6, loaned to Mansfield for remainder of season

Comments

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Sorry don't get the obsession with giving Ajose chance after chance. He did come back in and show improvement in his all round game and effort, and I agree he didn't miss a string of chances but I still feel we are hoping he can rediscover that scoring form that was only really 1 season.

He's not the sort of striker who we can rely on to help us get promotion and IMO should fall below KAG in the pecking order (and I'm not a massive KAG fan).

Why shouldn't Ajose get another chance?

He should be judged on his worth to the team.

2 years of nothing, dreadful body language.

Get rid of him.
    Best post you've made in years Gazza!

He's shit!

Lives off of one good season at Swindon and struts around like he owns the place.

Get rid ASAP!
  • Options
    From memory looking at his video footage from Swindon he scores mainly from inside the six yard box feeding off goalmouth scrambles rather than beating a player. If nothing drops to him he doesn't score but is quick at getting his shots away.
  • Options
    Would love to be wrong. But if NA is a starter next season then we won’t be going anywhere.
  • Options

Would love to be wrong. But if NA is a starter next season then we won’t be going anywhere.

100%
  • Options
    doronron said:

He has goals in him,how many did he score for Swindon

It was inflated by quite a few penalties I think. None of our current strikers would be first choice players in a promotion standard L1 team. If the Aussie's genuinely have the aspirations people say they do then this should be the first area they fix.
  • Options

doronron said:

It was inflated by quite a few penalties I think. None of our current strikers would be first choice players in a promotion standard L1 team. If the Aussie's genuinely have the aspirations people say they do then this should be the first area they fix.
    Yep
  • Options

Our only truly creative player is Fosu, and 9 times out of 10 if he creates a chance its for himself. You only need to look at Ajose's finish against Pompey to realise how good his finishing is. His movment is first class and it seems to me his head drops when he makes run after run, but we don't have anyone good enough to find him...

When we first bought Ajose, a Swindon-supporting friend told me that he'd score us a load of goals if we had players who could provide the ball to his feet in the box but we shouldn't rely on him to create opportunities for himself. That's proved to be pretty accurate I think - when we've used him in the way Swindon did, he's looked really good. I'm not sure he's the player we need, but if the rest of our player recruitment does leave us needing a finisher rather than a creator then why not him?
  • Options
    Don't watch as many games as I used to due to living 250 miles away but my take on Ajose is that his work rate and body language clearly improved under Bowyer but in my opinion I'm not sure he is good enough and what we need. Yes there is an argument that he needs better service but my opinion is good strikers find the yard of space, make cross into the box seem better because they've found the space and attacked the ball. It's all fair and well saying he hasn't missed many chances but it's how many chances you can create and not with individual brilliance but with movement and awareness, getting across your man at the front post or peeling off to the back post or in some places cases being quicker. I also feel from watching his goals for Swindon, he seems to have slowed down a bit, There were several times half decent balls were played over the top/threaded through and he just wasn't quicker enough. IF as many has pointed out that he is a goal scorer and won't offer much more then I feel we need to find a better option if we're serious about promotion. Hopefully I can be proved wrong but that's my take on things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

doronron said:

Many top scorer returns are "inflated by penalties". They know it's a good way to increase their worth.
    Think Derek Hales, Clive Mendonca, Darren Bent ...... for example.

Converting penalties was an important part of their goal tally.
    Why shouldn't Ajose's penalty scoring abilities be regarded in the same way?

• Options
    Penalty scoring is an art in itself... Its never a guarantee that the player is going to score so should never be written off their goalscoring stats

Just compare Josh Magennis and Yoni Buyens for that reason, one fluffed badly this season when given the chance, the other made it look so easy
  • Options

Penalty scoring is an art in itself... Its never a guarantee that the player is going to score so should never be written off their goalscoring stats

Just compare Josh Magennis and Yoni Buyens for that reason, one fluffed badly this season when given the chance, the other made it look so easy

Should definitely be considered though. Huge difference between a striker scoring 15 goals with 8 penalties and 13 goals with 1 penalty.
  • Options

Should definitely be considered though. Huge difference between a striker scoring 15 goals with 8 penalties and 13 goals with 1 penalty.
    Could say the same about tap ins though or like the first Wigan goal against us at the Valley (crossed into the box and side footed from around the penalty spot)...

Where do you draw the line between a deserved goal and one thats given to them
  • Options

Could say the same about tap ins though or like the first Wigan goal against us at the Valley (crossed into the box and side footed from around the penalty spot)...

I think it's open to dispute but my argument is about strikers getting in the right position.

Personally would think more of a striker getting 10 two yard tap ins than 10 penalties, merely because he's getting in the right position.

If a striker scores a load of penalties, of course he deserves the goal, but I just think it needs consideration.
  • Options

I think it's open to dispute but my argument is about strikers getting in the right position.

Personally would think more of a striker getting 10 two yard tap ins than 10 penalties, merely because he's getting in the right position.

If a striker scores a load of penalties, of course he deserves the goal, but I just think it needs consideration.
    But its also about the final ball to the Striker...

How can you say the likes of Ajose arent getting in the right position for a tap in when the ball isnt going into that area
  • Options

But its also about the final ball to the Striker...

How can you say the likes of Ajose arent getting in the right position for a tap in when the ball isnt going into that area
    I didn't say anything about Ajose not getting in that position?

I have no doubt we haven't created enough chances for Ajose. I also have no doubt with the right services he won't score a few more than he did this season. But based on the evidence available to me, statistically (he had one really good season which included a few penalties) and from what I have seen, he won't be the goalscorer we need to get out of this division.
  • Options

I think @ForeverAddickted and @cafcfan1990 should have a penalty shoot out before the first home game of the season to decide who is right.

In that case might as well save everyone the embarrassment of seeing me do that; @CAFCfan1990 your right!! ;)
  • Options

I think @ForeverAddickted and @cafcfan1990 should have a penalty shoot out before the first home game of the season to decide who is right.

In that case might as well save everyone the embarrassment of seeing me do that; @CAFCfan1990 your right!! ;)
    I'd love to see Sid the sloth slot one away in front of the covered end!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    When asked why he was omitted from the squad, Charlton boss Lee Bowyer told News Shopper: “He just wasn't selected.

“We've brought a couple of players in now and we’ve got players coming back from injury, George [Lapslie] came back.

“So there just wasn't room for him.”

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/17354310.why-nicky-ajose-did-not-make-charltons-matchday-squad-in-shrewsbury-thrashing/

But there was room for Reeco ahead of Ajose?
  • Options
    Ajose should be begging for a loan move. He’s unlikely to get much if any game time with us and he’s out of contract in the summer so really needs to put himself in the shop window. I think he’ll be lucky to still be playing in the Football League next season at this rate.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    se9addick said:

Ajose should be begging for a loan move. He’s unlikely to get much if any game time with us and he’s out of contract in the summer so really needs to put himself in the shop window. I think he’ll be lucky to still be playing in the Football League next season at this rate.

Problem remains his wages. Few League 1 or league 2 club would want to pay even half his wages after he flopped on loan at Bury and Swindon.

And if we let him go out and subsidise all his wages that might well leave nothing in the budget to loan or buy someone else.

Having just Reeco, who isn't ready to stand in for either Taylor or Grant, is a risk
  • Options

se9addick said:

Problem remains his wages. Few League 1 or league 2 club would want to pay even half his wages after he flopped on loan at Bury and Swindon.

And if we let him go out and subsidise all his wages that might well leave nothing in the budget to loan or buy someone else.

Having just Reeco, who isn't ready to stand in for either Taylor or Grant, is a risk
    This. Our only hope is that either a team near the bottom of League 1 or the top of League 2 want to take a punt on him to keep them up/promote them. We would no doubt have to contribute to his wages though.

Personally feel we might need another player to leave alongside him to bring a striker in. Not sure who that might be, but my gut is saying Clarke might be loaned out.
  • Options

se9addick said:

This. Our only hope is that either a team near the bottom of League 1 or the top of League 2 want to take a punt on him to keep them up/promote them. We would no doubt have to contribute to his wages though.

Personally feel we might need another player to leave alongside him to bring a striker in. Not sure who that might be, but my gut is saying Clarke might be loaned out.
    I'm a big fan of Clarke but he is older and with Cullen, Aribo and Williams we have other players to cover his position. Risk is that two are injured and one very injury prone.

I'd keep Clarke but I guess Bowyer has to move some players out to get others in. And we do have a lot of midfielders.
  • Options
    Talal said:

I'd have Ajose over KAG every day of the week.

KAG will never play (or score) regularly for us

.... :wink:
    Ouch!

• Options
    Ajose needs to keep his nutt down and gob shut just like he is currently and wait for his chance if it comes grab it prove the mgr wrong or prove prospective suitors that may fancy taking him next year that he is a competitive player at this level

Personally when I have seen him play for us I feel we look a much better team for it but it does depend on what Ajose turns up

We don’t see them day in day out so in bowyer I trust
  • Options

se9addick said:

I'm a big fan of Clarke but he is older and with Cullen, Aribo and Williams we have other players to cover his position. Risk is that two are injured and one very injury prone.

I'd keep Clarke but I guess Bowyer has to move some players out to get others in. And we do have a lot of midfielders.
    I would keep Clarke too, just a hunch that he might be moved on.
  • Options
    When we sign that new striker at the end of the month, forgot his name, Ajose will go.......... :wink: