Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Southend: post match views

Comments

• Options
    Lets be grateful , these are heady times down at The Valley in the 3rd tier of English football .

• Options
    Love league 1
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Love league 1

Better than the Premiership
  • Options

Lets be grateful , these are heady times down at The Valley in the 3rd tier of English football .

You're harshing my buzz man.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Love league 1

Better than the Premiership
    Yep
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Yep League One is the place to be , we can win matches and the excitement is incredible , everyone is talking about it .

Many a true word is spoken in jest
  • Options

Yep League One is the place to be , we can win matches and the excitement is incredible , everyone is talking about it .

You take your reality and stick it. I want to be cocooned in my warm and fluffy bubble of delusion.
  • Options
    Bet I'm enjoying the football more than palace fans at the moment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Josh has to stay on when we have a lead to protect because the team lacks height.
  • Options
    a good win, i wasn't at the game, but didnt southend have a second string team out due to injuries, wigan at home tommorow night will be a real test i think, funny heard different reports off of 2 mates

1: we were really good and were gonna win the league
    2: we were lucky southend werent better as we were lucky today.

either way its 3 points in the right direction.

would take a draw if offered tommorow night, due to not attending home games often and doing away games last season i havent attended a victory since walsall last season, on a freebie tommorow night so hopefully that can change.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    They were well organised - they can be the hardest teams to beat. Our quality saw us through - they lacked that quality in my opinion. That isn't being critical of them - most teams will fit that discription at this level and Southend are probably better than most. I would say the difference showed itself it spurts and their organisation had something to do with that. I think WIgan could be easier for us if they show us less respect.
  • Options

Josh has to stay on when we have a lead to protect because the team lacks height.

If we are winning games then that means we will always have a lead to protect(unless we are 4-0 up, which is rare) - so in your proposition Big Josh wont be able to he subbed......makes not having a like-for-like replacement even more stupid.
  • Options

If we are winning games then that means we will always have a lead to protect(unless we are 4-0 up, which is rare) - so in your proposition Big Josh wont be able to he subbed......makes not having a like-for-like replacement even more stupid.
    Well, at 3-0 up you can take the risk - but yes, I think that sums it up.
  • Options

How Ricky Holmes has never played above league one is beyond me.
    Class act long may we keep him

His goal reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-IxynLNRMU

• Options
    Given his age, it is a question I was asking myself on Saturday as I watched the game. Has he improved late in his career.
  • Options

Given his age, it is a question I was asking myself on Saturday as I watched the game. Has he improved late in his career.

Played non-league (and England C) football for Chelmsford for a few years before turning pro. Bit like Nicky Bailey in that respect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Already has three yellows which is a worry. Hope Reeves or Marshall are fit soon.
  • Options

Already has three yellows which is a worry. Hope Reeves or Marshall are fit soon.

Given the energy he puts in for the team it wouldn't be a disaster to lose Holmes for a game. In the past we've only had one or two match winners and had to play them until they burnt out. Hopefully we can manage the squad (especially our attacking midfielders) better this season.
  • Options

Given the energy he puts in for the team it wouldn't be a disaster to lose Holmes for a game. In the past we've only had one or two match winners and had to play them until they burnt out. Hopefully we can manage the squad (especially our attacking midfielders) better this season.
    Be a lot better to lose him when we have cover fit though as all 3 attacking midfielders not currently starting are out. Can't start Dodoo on the wing as leaves us no option off the bench at all.

Good team and unlucky with injuries, but squad could have benefitted from 1 more attacking player.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

If there were 5,000 people in the Covered End yesterday, or even 6,000 with the quads (very high end) there would have to be pushing 5,000 in the east and west to make up the official attendance.

In practice there were probably about 1,000 in the east and maybe twice that in the west. I don't think the idea season ticket holders are turning up in unprecedented numbers is supported by the visible evidence.

This isn't just about form - STs have never got much above 85 per cent turnout except when we had 20,000 capacity in the Prem or played the biggest teams.

The increased concentration of the crowd behind the goal is certainly likely to aid the atmosphere, but I very much doubt if the home support was much more than 9,500 in total.

A reasonable assessment and means the actual home fan attendance has arguably doubled from the back end of last season, when in reality we only had about 5,000.
  • Options
    Late to the party, and just about sobered up! My first live game of the season and thought that the attacking intent was encouraging and pleasing on the eyes, long may it continue!
  • Options

If there were 5,000 people in the Covered End yesterday, or even 6,000 with the quads (very high end) there would have to be pushing 5,000 in the east and west to make up the official attendance.

In practice there were probably about 1,000 in the east and maybe twice that in the west. I don't think the idea season ticket holders are turning up in unprecedented numbers is supported by the visible evidence.

This isn't just about form - STs have never got much above 85 per cent turnout except when we had 20,000 capacity in the Prem or played the biggest teams.

The increased concentration of the crowd behind the goal is certainly likely to aid the atmosphere, but I very much doubt if the home support was much more than 9,500 in total.

A reasonable assessment and means the actual home fan attendance has arguably doubled from the back end of last season, when in reality we only had about 5,000.
    agreed - it was significantly fuller than last year
  • Options

Be a lot better to lose him when we have cover fit though as all 3 attacking midfielders not currently starting are out. Can't start Dodoo on the wing as leaves us no option off the bench at all.

Good team and unlucky with injuries, but squad could have benefitted from 1 more attacking player.
    I don't agree, I think we do have cover. Put Konsa as defence midfield and move Foster caskey forward. We also have Aribo, Fairchild, Areheme Grant who have played already to name just three.
  • Options

First home game this season & only 2nd one overall (Exeter & Plymouth). Not sure what all the fuss has been about as I thought we were a bit lucky to win & a draw was a fairer result. Didn't get going for 20 mins & Southend could have been a couple up by then - Nile Ranger missed an easy chance after more messing around at the back. Kashi played too many short balls that gets the defence into trouble - he did the same at Plymouth in the first half when we nearly let one in & soon it will cause us letting one in.

Being 2-0 up seems to be a disaster for us & we took our foot off the pedal again, only to be saved by some poor finishing by Southend. If we do the same on Tuesday night I can see out first defeat at home.

I don't want to sound like a sour puss & really very pleased we won & are up to second, but its early days and as curbs once said - don't get too down after a defeat & too up after a win.

Holmes, Clarke & Pearce all played well, Fosu not so good & Da Silva was run ragged in the first half & their winger had him for toast. Not enough time to judge Dodoo but wish we had a bit more experience to come on with 10-15 mins to go than him & RFH.

Good lad, reliable as ever. The only person in the ground who thought we were lucky to win ! Unbelievable Jeff.
    It wasn't a commanding performance, but we definitely deserved to win. That doesn't always mean you do, but that isn't the point.