Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson: "Fans have their Charlton back."

Comments

• Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

MrLargo said:

Difficult for me to be objective as I can't stand the bloke and frequently have nightmares about being trapped in a lift with him. He loves a kneejerk comment, this is the same bloke who said he couldn't fault the players for effort after we lost at home to Bury, and then said that they weren't fit to wear the shirt when we lost to Shrewsbury 3 days later. On that basis, I presume that if we lose tonight, his first comment after the match will be "I'm afraid we've lost are Charlton again".

Have to say, I'm surprised how easily some of you are won over. Our overall record under him is pretty dismal, even if I didn't loathe him he'd have to do a lot more than narrrowly win one game against average opposition to convince me that this is a bright new era. Putting Karl aside, we've had positive starts in two of the seasons since the Belgians have arrived - one ended in relegation, the other ended in a mid-season meltdown, both were the consequence of having a pretty good starting eleven and no depth whatsoever behind it.

I guess it's been so rubbish for so long that it's natural for some to get carried away by the slightest hint of positivity.

Agreed, he had a terrible start with the squad he'd inherited. The players weren't suitable for the style of football he wanted to play.
    But there were obvious improvements to the football we were playing towards the end of the season, results improved, and now he has the sort of players he (and we) wanted, let's see how we go eh?
    Not interested in his quotes but Robinson was responsible for a sequence of one win in 14 which ended on the second Saturday in April, long after the January transfer window over which he presided, with the two previous months to plan. He had the opportunity to bring in players to suit his system.

Southend apart, the results at the end of the season were against very poor teams, as denoted by the fact that three of them were relegated and a fourth escaped by one place and one point. Not much to go on there, overall. You can only beat what's in front of you, but let's not get carried away.

He now starts with a clean slate and should be judged on that IMO, but let's not pretend his record last season was anything other than poor, or pretend that he had no responsibility for it.
    He took over a demoralised, poor squad, and tried to get them to play attacking football. Slade was more pragmatic, happy to try to grind out results. It was dire to watch.
    The results before Robinson took over don't really bear out the idea the squad was "demoralised" either under Slade or Nugent, unless it was by the manager being sacked because he refused to have a coach imposed on him by the owner.

I don't think Slade was great but he had no chance with the Swindon game and the fact remains that statistically he did better than Robinson, for which the only caveat would be that Robinson lost Lookman in January. Nugent got seven points in three games with that squad - we went backwards when Robinson arrived. But it's this season that matters now!

I would have kept Nugent in the role for as long as he kept getting results. From memory I think they played ok under him.

Generally hate all this changing the manager every three months nonesense.
  • Options

Under Curbishley we found simething we never had before, that led us to a point of genuinely being the fourth best side in the country at one all too short point. That showed what we are capable of when you have everything right and all pulling together. That is the Charlton I want back.That is the Charlton Chrissy Powell wanted back. It did happen, and we have to believe it can happen again.

WHat that Charlton achieved over a sustained period meant far more than anything Man City, Arsenal or Man Utd can ever achieve. We acheived it together and whilst we are all very different as fans, we were totally together. I want that Charlton back, but it wasn't built in a day. But you do have to start building to get there!

Unfortunately Muttley the chances of Charlton reaching 4th in The Premiership is rather unlikely. I feel you are setting your aspirations too high.

I'd like us to win The Champions League, but I'm not going to slag off KR every time he says something (I know you didn't).

KR has been misquoted and some people couldn't wait to stick the boot in.

We all know he speaks too much and his enthusiasm means he speaks too quickly and not in a measured way.

But can't some people try and be a little more understanding, that's he not perfect ?

Perhaps, we should hound him out and get back Chris O'Loughlin ?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

MrLargo said:

Difficult for me to be objective as I can't stand the bloke and frequently have nightmares about being trapped in a lift with him. He loves a kneejerk comment, this is the same bloke who said he couldn't fault the players for effort after we lost at home to Bury, and then said that they weren't fit to wear the shirt when we lost to Shrewsbury 3 days later. On that basis, I presume that if we lose tonight, his first comment after the match will be "I'm afraid we've lost are Charlton again".

Have to say, I'm surprised how easily some of you are won over. Our overall record under him is pretty dismal, even if I didn't loathe him he'd have to do a lot more than narrrowly win one game against average opposition to convince me that this is a bright new era. Putting Karl aside, we've had positive starts in two of the seasons since the Belgians have arrived - one ended in relegation, the other ended in a mid-season meltdown, both were the consequence of having a pretty good starting eleven and no depth whatsoever behind it.

I guess it's been so rubbish for so long that it's natural for some to get carried away by the slightest hint of positivity.

Agreed, he had a terrible start with the squad he'd inherited. The players weren't suitable for the style of football he wanted to play.
    But there were obvious improvements to the football we were playing towards the end of the season, results improved, and now he has the sort of players he (and we) wanted, let's see how we go eh?
    Not interested in his quotes but Robinson was responsible for a sequence of one win in 14 which ended on the second Saturday in April, long after the January transfer window over which he presided, with the two previous months to plan. He had the opportunity to bring in players to suit his system.

Southend apart, the results at the end of the season were against very poor teams, as denoted by the fact that three of them were relegated and a fourth escaped by one place and one point. Not much to go on there, overall. You can only beat what's in front of you, but let's not get carried away.

He now starts with a clean slate and should be judged on that IMO, but let's not pretend his record last season was anything other than poor, or pretend that he had no responsibility for it.
    He took over a demoralised, poor squad, and tried to get them to play attacking football. Slade was more pragmatic, happy to try to grind out results. It was dire to watch.
    The results before Robinson took over don't really bear out the idea the squad was "demoralised" either under Slade or Nugent, unless it was by the manager being sacked because he refused to have a coach imposed on him by the owner.

I don't think Slade was great but he had no chance with the Swindon game and the fact remains that statistically he did better than Robinson, for which the only caveat would be that Robinson lost Lookman in January. Nugent got seven points in three games with that squad - we went backwards when Robinson arrived. But it's this season that matters now!

I would have kept Nugent in the role for as long as he kept getting results. From memory I think they played ok under him.

Generally hate all this changing the manager every three months nonesense.
    Indeed - but it is what Duchatelet does and he's just done it again at Sint-Truiden.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Under Curbishley we found simething we never had before, that led us to a point of genuinely being the fourth best side in the country at one all too short point. That showed what we are capable of when you have everything right and all pulling together. That is the Charlton I want back.That is the Charlton Chrissy Powell wanted back. It did happen, and we have to believe it can happen again.

WHat that Charlton achieved over a sustained period meant far more than anything Man City, Arsenal or Man Utd can ever achieve. We acheived it together and whilst we are all very different as fans, we were totally together. I want that Charlton back, but it wasn't built in a day. But you do have to start building to get there!

Unfortunately Muttley the chances of Charlton reaching 4th in The Premiership is rather unlikely. I feel you are setting your aspirations too high.

I'd like us to win The Champions League, but I'm not going to slag off KR every time he says something (I know you didn't).

We all know he speaks too much and his enthusiasm means he speaks too quickly and not in a measured way.

But can't some people try and be a little more understanding, that's he not perfect ?

I think you miss my point, our Charlton was the period building up to that point and beyond that point. We lost it when Curbs left. And I think we should be setting our aspirations high.
  • Options
    Are we sure he didn't actually say we've got our CharltonLife back ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No we fucking haven't got our club back and until the belgian bungler and his mendacious toadie are replaced ,there's no chance we can have it back. Even after roly eventually sells, we'll have to wait to see who and what has replaced him before we can begin to repair many of the ties. We felt like we had "our club back" when SCP orchestrated that promotion but we found out we only had it loaned to us while the spivs' backer was on board, as soon as those two had their piggy bank closed up things slid back down.
    It's useless speculating what gobbinson thought he meant by the comment, his verbal diarrhea is utterly relentless. All outbursts like this continue to prove is that he actually knows fuck all that's useful about anything that really matters and has absolutely no filter, tact or perspective.
    Ideally he should shut the fuck up, say as little as possible and concentrate on something he might actually be good at.
    Jesus H Christ he is so irritating!

You really need to read the thread before spouting crap as some may suspect that your comments may equally apply to yourself. He said we have our "team" back.
  • Options
    He doesn't realise that 'having our Charlton back' does not mean winning. If it did we would just support Chelsea or Utd.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

This.

(He says) it's his team, his first full season and his first full pre-season... I hope you prove to us what you can do as manager KR and start to HELP to bring our Charlton back.

It's a job for the fans, the footballing staff and the owners. Not just one of that trifecta.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

MrLargo said:

If it's this Season that matters most why mention Slade and Nugent. This constant looking back at how things were is not very helpful. Personally I have done some bad things in my life, but do I keep looking back on them? No because it is not helpful.

No we fucking haven't got our club back and until the belgian bungler and his mendacious toadie are replaced ,there's no chance we can have it back. Even after roly eventually sells, we'll have to wait to see who and what has replaced him before we can begin to repair many of the ties. We felt like we had "our club back" when SCP orchestrated that promotion but we found out we only had it loaned to us while the spivs' backer was on board, as soon as those two had their piggy bank closed up things slid back down.
    It's useless speculating what gobbinson thought he meant by the comment, his verbal diarrhea is utterly relentless. All outbursts like this continue to prove is that he actually knows fuck all that's useful about anything that really matters and has absolutely no filter, tact or perspective.
    Ideally he should shut the fuck up, say as little as possible and concentrate on something he might actually be good at.

The reaction to comments made by Robinson have been completely over the top.
    What Robinson meant was that they are trying to get back to the core values of what Charlton are about.
    Hard work, togetherness etc.
    Certain people pounce on every phrase or expression and use it against Robinson.
    Robinson is a football manager not a politician, he is enthusiastic and sometimes lets his mouth run away with him.

Tbh some of the comments on here say far more about the poster than they do Robinson and as for verbal diarrhoea, some people need to look in the mirror.

NB Perhaps people also want to check the facts about what was actually said before posting such a tirade of vile abuse.

Shame on some of our supporters.
    That is word for word what I posted on Not606. Plagerise me if you will but I want a royalty payment.

• Options
    clb74 said:

Isn't it about time the title of this thread was changed to what he actually said ?

No it's much better like this
    And then someone on Facebook reads it...doesn't bother with the comments or the context of what was said and puts it on Facebook....and then lots of sheeple think that's an accurate reflection on events and so it goes on.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

clb74 said:

Isn't it about time the title of this thread was changed to what he actually said ?

No it's much better like this
    And then someone on Facebook reads it...doesn't bother with the comments or the context of what was said and puts it on Facebook....and then lots of sheeple think that's an accurate reflection on events and so it goes on.

So a bit like what's happened on this thread swisdom
  • Options
    Shame Charlton don't have their fan's back.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    dizzee said:

Shame Charlton don't have their fan's back.

• Options

The reaction to comments made by Robinson have been completely over the top.
    What Robinson meant was that they are trying to get back to the core values of what Charlton are about.
    Hard work, togetherness etc.
    Do be sure to tell us what he means every time he gives an interview, won't you.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I am willing to believe that KR did not mean his quote the way it came off. That he meant CAFC was back to being a winning club.

But that, in a way, shows just how out of touch CULTURALLY he is from our extended community. No one with even a distant understanding of what has been happening would make that gaffe. Which means either he is tone deaf to fans, out of touch with the world outside his immediate view, or a lackey to management. Or all three.

I congratulate him on how much better we are playing. But I will never actually like him. Because he simply is not an Addick. Never was. Never will be.

I am not willing to settle BETWEEN winning and having a manager who understands the fans. I want both. And I don't think its unreasonable.