Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson: "Fans have their Charlton back."

Comments

• Options

they ( us ) have got their team ( charlton ) back.

translates to fans have their charlton back.

Only if you want to distort the words.

• Options
    He may be right in terms of the team, which might have the characteristics of a feisty hardworking Charlton team of the past, but the club and its direction aren't the same as the supporters, and won't be while the Belgians remain.
  • Options

KR states the bleeding obvious that the team is getting its act together and gets grief from a few people who seem to think the real charlton is a team that had a few good seasons in the PL. Well it's not, the real charlton is the one I've been supporting for the last 50 years where for most of the time we've been regularly moving through a cycle of being shit, mostly average and briefly fantastic. Don't come to The Valley if you want to boycott because of Roland but don't try and undermine the team in any way with the constant sniping if you do support charlton.

That phrase is nothing to do with Premier league status and you know it.
    Powell used it and the crowd sang it when becoming League 1 Champions. Robinson has apparently said it after thrashing one team 1-0 in League 1.
    Strangely enough, a lot of posters on here have also supported Charlton for several decades and are fully aware of how shit, average and fantastic we've been.
    However, the club has never been used as part of a weird (and failed) experiment before. Until that ends, the old Charlton has not returned.
    And who has been that wonderful owner in all the years you've supported charlton ? Obviously Murray immediately springs to mind because that's the era when we achieved the most in and off the field but there are some on here, possibly the same ones trying to undermine the team now, who seem to take exception to him now. Or was it the two when we had the one sensational season under SCP ? Or Friar who moved us to Selhurst. Or Glikstein ?
    In my 52 years of supporting the club (currently on hold) I have never before known an owner announce that winning games wasn't important............... until this one. Even the hated friar helped build a team that won us promotion to the top division.
  • Options
    Misquotes aside. It's a bit previous to proclaim what an amazing team he has off the back of a single performance. Hope he turns out to be right though, we could all benefit from a successful season.

It doesn't let Daisy and Roland off the hook if we do get promoted though, as then we are merely back to where we were when they took over. Of more importance is how they manage things in the Championship if we eventually get there.
  • Options

I think he was refering to more the team, for me a Charlton team is a team that fights and cares and we did see that on Saturday.

One swallow and all that but if that is the way this TEAM not the REGIME play this year then I am happy and will see it as a team i can relate to you and in some ways will see it like My Charlton back.

Nothing the guy say or does will please some people at the moment.

Personally speaking, I don't really rate or like Robinson as a manager.

But I do believe that he is an experienced media operator. He knows what he is saying. If he had wanted to state the we were getting our Charlton back on the pitch, he would have said that.

I think the choice of words was deliberate.
    And quite possibly not even his words but our highly paid consultants. Always toes the party line does robinson
  • Options
    edited August 2017

JamesSeed said:

MrLargo said:

Difficult for me to be objective as I can't stand the bloke and frequently have nightmares about being trapped in a lift with him. He loves a kneejerk comment, this is the same bloke who said he couldn't fault the players for effort after we lost at home to Bury, and then said that they weren't fit to wear the shirt when we lost to Shrewsbury 3 days later. On that basis, I presume that if we lose tonight, his first comment after the match will be "I'm afraid we've lost are Charlton again".

Have to say, I'm surprised how easily some of you are won over. Our overall record under him is pretty dismal, even if I didn't loathe him he'd have to do a lot more than narrrowly win one game against average opposition to convince me that this is a bright new era. Putting Karl aside, we've had positive starts in two of the seasons since the Belgians have arrived - one ended in relegation, the other ended in a mid-season meltdown, both were the consequence of having a pretty good starting eleven and no depth whatsoever behind it.

I guess it's been so rubbish for so long that it's natural for some to get carried away by the slightest hint of positivity.

Agreed, he had a terrible start with the squad he'd inherited. The players weren't suitable for the style of football he wanted to play.
    But there were obvious improvements to the football we were playing towards the end of the season, results improved, and now he has the sort of players he (and we) wanted, let's see how we go eh?
    Not interested in his quotes but Robinson was responsible for a sequence of one win in 14 which ended on the second Saturday in April, long after the January transfer window over which he presided, with the two previous months to plan. He had the opportunity to bring in players to suit his system.

Southend apart, the results at the end of the season were against very poor teams, as denoted by the fact that three of them were relegated and a fourth escaped by one place and one point. Not much to go on there, overall. You can only beat what's in front of you, but let's not get carried away.

He now starts with a clean slate and should be judged on that IMO, but let's not pretend his record last season was anything other than poor, or pretend that he had no responsibility for it.
    He took over a demoralised, poor squad, and tried to get them to play attacking football. Slade was more pragmatic, happy to try to grind out results. It was dire to watch.
  • Options

I think he was refering to more the team, for me a Charlton team is a team that fights and cares and we did see that on Saturday.

One swallow and all that but if that is the way this TEAM not the REGIME play this year then I am happy and will see it as a team i can relate to you and in some ways will see it like My Charlton back.

Nothing the guy say or does will please some people at the moment.

Personally speaking, I don't really rate or like Robinson as a manager.

But I do believe that he is an experienced media operator. He knows what he is saying. If he had wanted to state the we were getting our Charlton back on the pitch, he would have said that.

I think the choice of words was deliberate.
    And quite possibly not even his words but our highly paid consultants. Always toes the party line does robinson
    Not sure. He's a bit of a PR nightmare as he just says whatever he's thinking. Doesn't seem that 'media trained' to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think we will all forgive him if we go up ...if he succeeds inspite of the management that will be some achievement ...i can think of at least 3 Robinsons who have been CAFC successes in the past ...lets hope he becomes another ...
  • Options
    Robinson has a real habit of putting his foot in his mouth, i don't think his intention is to wind up the fans its just a result of him talking too much, its baby steps but it was a cracking performance by a committed side
  • Options
    Nadou said:

they ( us ) have got their team ( charlton ) back.

translates to fans have their charlton back.

Only if you want to distort the words.

lets see at the end of the season as to how far we have improved/more like Charlton i know once we have played more than one competitive game.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

MrLargo said:

Difficult for me to be objective as I can't stand the bloke and frequently have nightmares about being trapped in a lift with him. He loves a kneejerk comment, this is the same bloke who said he couldn't fault the players for effort after we lost at home to Bury, and then said that they weren't fit to wear the shirt when we lost to Shrewsbury 3 days later. On that basis, I presume that if we lose tonight, his first comment after the match will be "I'm afraid we've lost are Charlton again".

Have to say, I'm surprised how easily some of you are won over. Our overall record under him is pretty dismal, even if I didn't loathe him he'd have to do a lot more than narrrowly win one game against average opposition to convince me that this is a bright new era. Putting Karl aside, we've had positive starts in two of the seasons since the Belgians have arrived - one ended in relegation, the other ended in a mid-season meltdown, both were the consequence of having a pretty good starting eleven and no depth whatsoever behind it.

I guess it's been so rubbish for so long that it's natural for some to get carried away by the slightest hint of positivity.

Agreed, he had a terrible start with the squad he'd inherited. The players weren't suitable for the style of football he wanted to play.
    But there were obvious improvements to the football we were playing towards the end of the season, results improved, and now he has the sort of players he (and we) wanted, let's see how we go eh?
    Not interested in his quotes but Robinson was responsible for a sequence of one win in 14 which ended on the second Saturday in April, long after the January transfer window over which he presided, with the two previous months to plan. He had the opportunity to bring in players to suit his system.

Southend apart, the results at the end of the season were against very poor teams, as denoted by the fact that three of them were relegated and a fourth escaped by one place and one point. Not much to go on there, overall. You can only beat what's in front of you, but let's not get carried away.

He now starts with a clean slate and should be judged on that IMO, but let's not pretend his record last season was anything other than poor, or pretend that he had no responsibility for it.
    another good explanation as to how last season went, im all for giving robinson a chance but wont hold my breath.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Karl Robinson may be an experienced media operator but he is far too anxious to like and be liked, and (quite endearingly, in my view) prone to over-enthusiasm.

But all this furore about what he said (or was alleged to have said) just goes to show how much he is walking on eggshells when he starts to talk about the club. The mood amongst supporters is more than usually fragile after the events of the past 3 years. Faint stirrings of positivity and optimism have to be nurtured very carefully. Against this backdrop, Karl would be well advised to just tone it down for a bit. If, for example, he had said something like:

It was a terrific team performance from the lads today and it was clear that the fans responded enthusiastically to the way the team fought for the shirt. I know that things have been difficult here for the past few years but if the team can demonstrate that kind of commitment again and again, win, lose or draw, then I know the fans will grow a strong bond with the players. That could be the start of a healing process that I would dearly love to see happen.

I doubt that there would be too many who would complain. Acknowledge the issues, address the issues, build trust and respect.

To expect a well thought out response just after the final whistle of a game like Saturdays is asking a lot I think.
    Any statement regarding the fans, the club the SMT must be like treading on eggshells.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We won't have our Charlton back until there is a restoration of the spirit which saw supporters banding together to fight a local election.

We won't have our club back until there is a restoration of the spirit which saw supporter and directors turning up at The Valley on a rainy Sunday to pull up weeds and trees growing on the pitch and terraces.

We won't have our club back until there is a restoration of genuine involvement for supporters in the running of the club at board level.

We won't have our club back until the vision for our club is more ambitious than becoming a feeder club for the premiership.

We certainly haven't got our club back because we've beaten Bristol Rovers 1-0

I am not for one moment defending the current regime but thats all history ...as pleasant as it is to look back on, i look forward to a different charlton from now but things will never be the same as then. but they will and can be better than now
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Karl Robinson may be an experienced media operator but he is far too anxious to like and be liked, and (quite endearingly, in my view) prone to over-enthusiasm.

But all this furore about what he said (or was alleged to have said) just goes to show how much he is walking on eggshells when he starts to talk about the club. The mood amongst supporters is more than usually fragile after the events of the past 3 years. Faint stirrings of positivity and optimism have to be nurtured very carefully. Against this backdrop, Karl would be well advised to just tone it down for a bit. If, for example, he had said something like:

It was a terrific team performance from the lads today and it was clear that the fans responded enthusiastically to the way the team fought for the shirt. I know that things have been difficult here for the past few years but if the team can demonstrate that kind of commitment again and again, win, lose or draw, then I know the fans will grow a strong bond with the players. That could be the start of a healing process that I would dearly love to see happen.

I doubt that there would be too many who would complain. Acknowledge the issues, address the issues, build trust and respect.

I'd prefer the more personal touch if he could refer to me personally and that if I didn't quite agree with his comments after the game I've my own hotline number so I could make my complaint
  • Options
    He is trying to please both the fans and the owners, if he actually said this, an impossible thing to do.
  • Options

What a scouse prick

Look......we all know KR talks in sound bites and loves to say what he thinks us fans want to hear.
    I don't much like his media persona, I don't go out of my way to listen to him to be honest, I just concern myself with our results and his part in that be they good or bad.
    To describe him as a prick is somewhat OTT I have to say and pretty disrespectful into the bargain.
    I find it disrespectful having this self-indulgent git turn up and start making ridiculous rash statements about our club, statements which he is completely unqualified to make and which are plain wrong. And aside from the utter lack of understanding and disregard which the comment pays to a) the ongoing ownership of our club and b) the fact we're starting another season in league one, it's just a painfully stupid comment to make after 1 match.

He needs to start thinking before he opens his mouth, start worrying about the once again threadbare and clearly inadequate squad we have, and maybe start talking them up if they're in the top 2 in November.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

MrLargo said:

He took over a demoralised, poor squad, and tried to get them to play attacking football. Slade was more pragmatic, happy to try to grind out results. It was dire to watch.
    The results before Robinson took over don't really bear out the idea the squad was "demoralised" either under Slade or Nugent, unless it was by the manager being sacked because he refused to have a coach imposed on him by the owner.

I don't think Slade was great but he had no chance with the Swindon game and the fact remains that statistically he did better than Robinson, for which the only caveat would be that Robinson lost Lookman in January. Nugent got seven points in three games with that squad - we went backwards when Robinson arrived. But it's this season that matters now!

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

Of course he was referring to the team - some people will take any opportunity to have a nonsensical rant .

Spot on of course Beds!

What you are forgetting though is that the haters have had an awful weekend, bless 'em, a great team effort ending up in three points, passion from the manager, passion from the fans, a great signing in Reeves.

Non of this fits their miserable criteria, so the first thing that has come along since, they have all jumped on the bandwagon with as you so eloquently put it 'nonsensical rants'!

I'm sure they are all hoping our second team lose to Exeter tonight, it will make them feel so much better!
    {...}
  • Options
    Fake news:

Charlton manager Karl Robinson says that "we will only get our charlton back once Roland has sold up and Katrien leaves the cloob."
  • Options
    I'm pleased we won on Saturday, I've not yet seen Charlton play this year but will do soon and I hope that Karl has a good squad and they continue to play well together, he seems to have done well (from others reports) at generating some team spirit.

He seems to be aware that Charlton have a history of strong battling teams and I'm sure this was what he was referring to.

It's unfortunate that he doesn't really understand the full resonance to many fans of 'we want our charlton back' or 'we've got our charlton back'.

Agree with most moderate views here, storm in a teacup, not worth the time it's taken me to write this.
  • Options

What a scouse prick

Look......we all know KR talks in sound bites and loves to say what he thinks us fans want to hear.
    I don't much like his media persona, I don't go out of my way to listen to him to be honest, I just concern myself with our results and his part in that be they good or bad.
    To describe him as a prick is somewhat OTT I have to say and pretty disrespectful into the bargain.
    I find it disrespectful having this self-indulgent git turn up and start making ridiculous rash statements about our club, statements which he is completely unqualified to make and which are plain wrong. And aside from the utter lack of understanding and disregard which the comment pays to a) the ongoing ownership of our club and b) the fact we're starting another season in league one, it's just a painfully stupid comment to make after 1 match.

He needs to start thinking before he opens his mouth, start worrying about the once again threadbare and clearly inadequate squad we have, and maybe start talking them up if they're in the top 2 in November.
    I can only presume you're on the wind up ?