Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    I am quite astonished at how hyper critical some of our fans are regarding Dillon. I'm not aware that a perfect keeper exists and I see plenty of mistakes made by keepers playing at a higher level than Dillon.
  • Options
    At a lower level but I played in goal, with some success, at the end of my career when my knees were finished and I couldn't have got near most of Phillips saves. My son (now at Uni) is a keeper and a very good one too. He was with Tottenham for a time and saved three penalties in our recent Cup success. I think I know enough about keeping to realise that Phillips is a very good keeper and we are lucky to have him. 
    Muttley you've said a couple of times now you used to be a keeper, as did I, do you not agree that he should've gone with his left?
    Totally agree Phillips is a very good keeper. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    What I think it is, is that Phillips has improved a lot but some can't adapt their views accordingly. Something like distribution last season was still an issue but it is less so now. Far less so.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Talal said:
    At a lower level but I played in goal, with some success, at the end of my career when my knees were finished and I couldn't have got near most of Phillips saves. My son (now at Uni) is a keeper and a very good one too. He was with Tottenham for a time and saved three penalties in our recent Cup success. I think I know enough about keeping to realise that Phillips is a very good keeper and we are lucky to have him. 
    Muttley you've said a couple of times now you used to be a keeper, as did I, do you not agree that he should've gone with his left?
    This is an interesting point but don't keepers have a preferred hand to go with? Jordan Pickford for example often goes with his left(?) hand for tip overs no matter what side of the goal. I'm meeting up with an ex keeper tomorrow who was on a league club's books as a youth and see what his take is on it.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Talal said:
    This is an interesting point but don't keepers have a preferred hand to go with? Jordan Pickford for example often goes with his left(?) hand for tip overs no matter what side of the goal. I'm meeting up with an ex keeper tomorrow who was on a league clubs books as a youth and see what his take is on it.
    Quite Possibly. It's natural to want to go with your stronger hand but the extra reach you lose can make it counterproductive. Be interested to hear his thoughts. 
  • Options
    If only keeping coach Andy Marshall was coming to a supporters' Q and A soon.
  • Options
    What I think it is, is that Phillips has improved a lot but some can't adapt their views accordingly. Something like distribution last season was still an issue but it is less so now. Far less so.
    TBH, distribution is just the icing on the cake. If he's saving shots and collecting the ball cleanly, then i dont give too much of a monkeys about his distribution.
    Told my SA mate whilst watching the game v Fulham that Phillips will be playing for England in 3 years time.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    A keeper will go with the hand that they believe is their:

Strongest
    Quickest to react

Therefore, stating that a particular goalie could have saved an attempt by using their other hand is slughtly presumption and doesn't consider their unique playing(keeping) style imo! 
  • Options
    Some of our fans love to have a go at our goalkeeper.

Not sure why but since Deano they've all had stick to a greater or lesser extent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Dillon is great, leave him alone.

Imagine if Charltonlife was around when Deano was in goal!
  • Options
    Dillon is great, leave him alone.

Imagine if Charltonlife was around when Deano was in goal!
    Well Kiely was the best keeper we have had in my 50 plus years of watching us, just edging out Bolder. Yes his kicking, like Bolder, was suspect but unrivalled for shot stopping and consistency afaic.
  • Options
    Guys....there's a decent debate about goalkeeping currently ongoing. 

Some need to stop with the over fluffy backing up of Dillon that even he would probably find cringey!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    TBH, distribution is just the icing on the cake. If he's saving shots and collecting the ball cleanly, then i dont give too much of a monkeys about his distribution.
    Told my SA mate whilst watching the game v Fulham that Phillips will be playing for England in 3 years time.
    I think distribution is very important. I managed the team my son played in and I monitored where every kick went in a game. I think most watching thought he was just being lucky with his percentages to a team-mate. I expected assists from him too and would have regular discussions with him about it.

As for what hand you go with. I think you go with the hand you are most likely to save it with. That can be your right hand if you are right handed.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    @Talal I spoke to that ex keeper this morning who said he had a favourite side to dive but as for going with the wrong hand it was all down to personal choice and split decision making at the time. In other words if he felt that he could get to a ball in his left hand top corner with his right hand that's what he would do. This is what Dillon must have decided and he did get a touch on the ball, unfortunately it wasn't strong enough. It helps of course massively if you are ambidextrous 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    @Talal I spoke to that ex keeper this morning who said he had a favourite side to dive but as for going with the wrong hand it was all down to personal choice and split decision making at the time. In other words if he felt that he could get to a ball in his left hand top corner with his right hand that's what he would do. This is what Dillon must have decided and he did get a touch on the ball, unfortunately it wasn't strong enough. It helps of course massively if you are ambidextrous 😉.
    That's fair enough. After posting here yesterday I did think that there was very little time for him to think. 
    Though in my opinion, generally speaking it's not a great habit for keepers to get into. 
  • Options
    I think most keepers will say privately what their favourite side is. But they will work hard to even that up.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Taken from the NewsShopper...

Dillon Phillips believes he has much more to give despite a number of stand-out performances for Charlton already this season.
    The Addicks goalkeeper has been an ever present for Lee Bowyer this season and has established himself as one of the best shot stoppers in the division.
    A Man of The Match display at Fulham, as well eye-catching displays at Bristol and West Brom recently have earned the Charlton Academy graduate praise from all corners.
    This time last year Phillips had just a handful of cup and league games under his belt as he played second choice to Jed Steer who was on-loan from Aston Villa.
    With Steer being re-called in January, Phillips picked up the number one jersey and hasn’t looked back, and more importantly he’s looking forward.
    “I’ve always believed in myself that I was good enough to play for the first team,” Phillips said.
    “I’m not surprised by how I’ve been doing, but I’ve more to give.
    “I’m happy with how me and the team are doing, and I just want to keep improving, playing and staying fit to do my best for the team.
    “I feel I’ve improved, but that’s just by playing games.”
    When quizzed on what areas he felt he needed to work on his answer, like all dedicated pro’s was instant.
    “My whole game needs improving to go to the next level with Charlton!”
    “All round, I have to train hard, put that work in.
    “Games makes you a better keeper.
    “Consistency, the better keepers are the ones that make the least mistake. And hopefully I do that.”
    One man who could stake some credit in Phillips rise is that of fellow Charlton goalkeeper Ben Amos.
    Amos returned to The Valley in the summer after spending last season at Millwall, and would be forgiven to think he’d claim the number one jersey having had the experience of Championship football as well as wearing the jersey for Charlton during their last stint in the second division.
    “When he came back he knew it was different.
    “I had a near enough full season under my belt in a promotion winning side, Ben knew what he was coming into.
    “He gets the best out of me and hopefully I get some good stuff out of him.
    “We’re friends off the pitch so there’s no animosity between us, it’s a healthy competitive relationship.”
  • Options
    Tony Pulis (on Sky TV) opined that Phillips was at fault for the second Bristol City goal in that he left a big gap by the near post into which Brownhill hit his shot .. unfair to Dillon, the fault was with the defence which left the B C man all alone in the area even though they were against 10 men .. also, Palmer put through a very accurate cross  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i'm drunk

it's so sad when the boors behind me lay into MY GOALKEEPER when he duffs a kick "fuck off Phillips" etc etc after he's saved a penalty with ultimate cunning and been generally the best

we need to sign him to a 1000-year contract

that is all
  • Options
    i like phillips more than sarr, more than taylor or lockyer or bonne, phillips is my favourite, he is the soul of this team, when gallagher is playing for chelsea and england i require phillips to be here, if he is not that will be a tragedy
  • Options
    should i post drunk more Y/N vote now vote often
  • Options
    his slightly weak punch led to a goal today sort of but the point is he made the punch, he got the ball clear, and what happened after was not his responsibility. even when he doesn't do quite the job his aims are correct, he makes good decisions and he has amazingly good instincts that enable him to make great saves. we need to keep him 
  • Options
    if he leaves it will hurt me more than any other departure
  • Options
    What has Philips done to deserve to be Leuth's latest obsession?

Stick to hating Pratley and telling us that Sarr and Reeves are world beaters, please.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    if he leaves it will hurt me more than any other departure
    More so than Naby Sarr? - What were you drinking last night
  • Options
    Imagine this'll be Leuth when he wakes up and reads his posts from last night

• Options
    I think those posts were the shot in the arm he needed to pull off his recent performances tbh
  • Options
    Dillon needs to be more commanding at corners/fks where we have been conceding recently.