Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    I would say he made one world class save and a number of great saves yesterday. Bearing in mind, world class is not a term you should just throw at a save.
  • Options
    Have always thought Dillon was a good keeper from the first time I saw him play. His confidence continues to grow.
  • Options
    I would say he made one world class save and a number of great saves yesterday. Bearing in mind, world class is not a term you should just throw at a save.
    The point blank one was Banksesque, but many of the other were ones he would expect to make
  • Options
    Ok, he may have played well yesterday, but he only deserves a low score, because don't forget that goal he let in at Wembley.

Said someone on here not long ago. Wibble.
  • Options
    Sorry, cannot remember what game, but yesterday another goalkeeper did exactly the same as Phillips at Wembley
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Sorry, cannot remember what game, but yesterday another goalkeeper did exactly the same as Phillips at Wembley
    copycat syndrome 
  • Options
    The point blank one was a great save, the one he tipped over the bar was World class.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Luton against Derby, basically was an exact copy of Sarr/Phillips incident. Their keeper is their record signing haha
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Luton against Derby, basically was an exact copy of Sarr/Phillips incident. Their keeper is their record signing haha
    Their keeper was at fault for both Derby goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    ross1 said:
    yeah but I bet his distribution is great. : - )
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Well it certainly can't be worse than Dillon!
  • Options
    Dillon and Sarr repeated the Wembley incident on Saturday, but thankfully the other way round - Dillon passed it to Sarr, who managed to completely miss the ball which rolled out for a throw!
    Payback!
  • Options
    I don't think his distribution is that bad tbh. He's not in the man city keepers class, but who is? He does hit it out of play occasionally, but that tends to be when we look to break quickly and he tries to hit a wide player. He tried it a few times on saturday aimed at williams and for one reason or another it didnt come off. Id rather we tried this a few times a game and lose possession on the half way line, than constantly slow the game down from the back.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ross1 said:
    Certainly can. It's a myth that his distribution is so bad.

I might have to make a Dillon distribution thread starting with Derby at home.

I'll try and keep tabs of his kicks/throws and lets see how good/bad it really is.

I tried searching for a site to give me these stats, but couldn't find anything.

• Options
    I think he can pick out a pass and it is an area of his game that is improving.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    ross1 said:

I'll try and keep tabs of his kicks/throws and lets see how good/bad it really is.

I tried searching for a site to give me these stats, but couldn't find anything.

Just make sure you compare it with the Goalkeeper at the other end every week - Of course how do you determine whether a throw or kick is bad? - Its not going to be Dillon's fault if Bonne gets out jumped or beaten to the ball on the sprint by the opposition etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ross1 said:

Just make sure you compare it with the Goalkeeper at the other end every week - Of course how do you determine whether a throw or kick is bad? - Its not going to be Dillon's fault if Bonne gets out jumped or beaten to the ball on the sprint by the opposition etc.

Yes I had already considered this. Currently working on it.

Shame there are no stats readily available that we can compare like for like with other keepers. So for now, it will have to be Dillon vs opposition keeper to give us an idea. Hopefully after a couple of weeks, it will all make more sense.

Hoping the numbers will prove me wrong.

• Options
    Never knew Dillon has a younger brother at Spurs
    Charlton fan though. Well pretty sure it was him in a Charlton shirt at Wigan 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I've analysed Dillon's kicks from Saturday;

Kick 1 Backpass from Solly cleared.  Straight through to their keeper
    Kick 2 Backpass from Pearce.  Cleared to Bonne who wins header.
    Back pass from Sarr.  Cleared.  Intercepted by the last man
    Rolled out to Sarr
    Clearance of a through ball.  Intercepted
    Catch of a cross.  Quick 70 yars pass to Williams who was 1 on 1 but he was beated in the air
    Backpass.  Passed out to Sarr.  Slightly too high and his subsequent header intercepted
    Goal kick straight out of plan on half way line
    Goal kick flicked on by Bonne to Gallagher which led to the goal
    Backpass cleared deep into Fulham half.  Defender headed out for a throw
    Goal kick.  Won in the air by Bonne
    Short goal kick, returned to him then cleared 70 yards.  Bonne lost the header
    Backpass, chased down and kick only went 40 yards to opponent.
    Clearance whilst being harried.  Cleared through to the other keeper.
    Backpass, chased down again.  Cleared to opponent half of pitch but possession lost.
    Goal kick, 60-70 yards, defender won header
    Kick from hands, into their half but won in the air
    Goal kick won in the air by Fulham
    Goal kick, Bonne won header
    Goal kick won by their defender as Leko looked on
    Goal kick Leko beaten in the air

Of all those there was one poor clearance.  If we are beaten in the air it can't really be down to him.  The one to Williams was an attempt at a counter attack but well defended.  Has anyone else tried to pass a volley 70 yards downfield - it's a bloody hard skill.

Some of the saves he made at the weekend were bloody good too

Maybe a few fans could actually observe rather than perpetuate a rumour started by one person that others latch on to....

good analysis.  And he made more passes than any other Charlton player on Saturday. How mnay outfield players misplaced passes?

As you point out @swisdom often he is clearing back passes while being closed down or the Charlton player doesn't win the ball yet this is always Dillon's "bad distribution" rather than the other players' fault.  

And if he could find a Charlton player everytime with a 70 yard pass he wouldn't be playing in goal, he'd be an England midfielder.

Distribution is his secondary role which he does well. His primary role, saving shots and stopping goals, he does very well.
  • Options
    didn't LB say that Dill's job was to stop the ball going in the net and that his kicking was not an issue?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I've analysed Dillon's kicks from Saturday;

Kick 1 Backpass from Solly cleared.  Straight through to their keeper
    Kick 2 Backpass from Pearce.  Cleared to Bonne who wins header.
    Back pass from Sarr.  Cleared.  Intercepted by the last man
    Rolled out to Sarr
    Clearance of a through ball.  Intercepted
    Catch of a cross.  Quick 70 yars pass to Williams who was 1 on 1 but he was beated in the air
    Backpass.  Passed out to Sarr.  Slightly too high and his subsequent header intercepted
    Goal kick straight out of plan on half way line
    Goal kick flicked on by Bonne to Gallagher which led to the goal
    Backpass cleared deep into Fulham half.  Defender headed out for a throw
    Goal kick.  Won in the air by Bonne
    Short goal kick, returned to him then cleared 70 yards.  Bonne lost the header
    Backpass, chased down and kick only went 40 yards to opponent.
    Clearance whilst being harried.  Cleared through to the other keeper.
    Backpass, chased down again.  Cleared to opponent half of pitch but possession lost.
    Goal kick, 60-70 yards, defender won header
    Kick from hands, into their half but won in the air
    Goal kick won in the air by Fulham
    Goal kick, Bonne won header
    Goal kick won by their defender as Leko looked on
    Goal kick Leko beaten in the air

Of all those there was one poor clearance.  If we are beaten in the air it can't really be down to him.  The one to Williams was an attempt at a counter attack but well defended.  Has anyone else tried to pass a volley 70 yards downfield - it's a bloody hard skill.

Some of the saves he made at the weekend were bloody good too

Maybe a few fans could actually observe rather than perpetuate a rumour started by one person that others latch on to....

To be fair his distribution on Saturday was fine, nobody is highlighting it, whereas in some other games it HAS been poor. Dillon's kicking isn't the best, and I'm not comparing him to Neuer or Ederson either. Ben Hamer was a worse keeper in other areas but MUCH better than Dillon in his kicking for example

I'm not sure I like the way we play out now, as it seems a bit extreme. Dillon either kicks long OR passes really short to a CB in the box, there's nothing in between (say to a full back) and he rarely throws the ball out either as he has a decent throw
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Check our first goal against Fulham
  • Options
    Dillon will get better and better as he matures and gains experience. He’s nowhere near the finished article yet and can still hold his own in The Championship. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    The point blank one was a great save, the one he tipped over the bar was World class.
    Yes, the tip over the bar was brilliant, but actually thought the point blank was relatively simple as it was straight at him - he would have have been disappointed if he hadnt got it.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I think Dillon is a good player who gets way too much stick, Hope he sticks with us and gets better and better.

Would like to see him boss and command the defence around a bit more.