Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins on his way?

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=118017

Personally think this would be a great appointment, if true of course.

Comments

• Think it will be him.

Looking at some of the names mentioned it could be far, far worse
  • I'd settle for Adkins all things considered. Hope it happens.
  • Think it will be him.

this .. I would prefer Cotterill though .. or Mourinho
  • edited May 2016

Think it will be him.

this .. I would prefer Cotterill though .. or Mourinho
    Cotterill has been ruled out I believe.
  • Looks like a space filler piece to me.

No hint that he's coming and we knew he was on the list of candidates.
  • J BLOCK said:

Best of a bad bunch

Head and shoulders above the bunch linked, on par with Cotterill maybe?

A league 1 team with a destructive owner...not many big names heading our way.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd take him over most of the other names mentioned but am concerned he's become a busted flush. Who is feeding the South London Press with all these names though? And are they feeding them so that we think they are after a British manager and then next week appoint Nobby and they can say that they approached several British managers but none were interested or affordable?
  • Decent manager. Hasn't done all that well since he left Saints but he was fantastic there. He's calm and and if he can have input into signings we could be ok. Depends what the ownership are willing to do really - Adkins got Rickie Lambert for £1m. We can afford that in theory and we spent a lot more on chuff like Naby Sarr so with a bit of freedom he could be great.

You can't really gauge how good a manager will be under this ownership though because there's nothing else like it. It's weird (meaning unique) (meaning shite)

It was Pardew who signed Lambert (contrast with the strikers he signed for us...)

In terms of L1, he inherited a very good team. He signed several good players later on though, Clyne, Cork, Rodriguez (plus some failures)
  • braydex said:

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!!!! Adkins, Clark, Cotterill, even Mourinho.......if they do not have the authority to make signings, pick the squad, play the team they want, make the substitutions they want, you could bring in Joan Collins and put her in charge you'll get the same result.

Not only that, but why would you want a manager who is prepared to accept that? Whoever gets appointed, whether they are British or not, will by default, become part of the regime if they are happy to do as they are told by the useless Belgian pricks who 'run' our club. Any manager taking the job on, under those circumstances should not be supported by the fans.

The problem isn't the manger (although some haven't exactly helped).....the problem is the owner, CEO and Murray (whatever he is).

spot on!!!!!!
  • Anagram:

Lead sinking

• cafcfan said:

Anagram:

Lead sinking

Slower than Charlton.....
  • Dazzler21 said:

''Wait a second let me work this out... I don't have control over signings, yet you want promotion in the first season?''

It's ok, they don't want promotion, might raise expectations.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

''Wait a second let me work this out... I don't have control over signings, yet you want promotion in the first season?''

That's all we need.

Latimer Addick managing the team.

Still he'll be handy for the NHS call centre.

• Didn't like what I was told about Adkins a while back by someone very much in the know at Southampton. Basically that he wasn't prepared to put the hours in.
  • I get the impression that this guy is not your average football manager. He might have the nous needed to manage working with these buffoons in a way which works for him.
  • Three league one promotions and a promotion to the Premiership ... not bad to be honest ... seems to have stagnated a bit at Sheff Utd but certainly has the requisite skills and experience

But all irrelevant anyway ... it cannot work under the micro-management of Roland
  • stonemuse said:

Three league one promotions and a promotion to the Premiership ... not bad to be honest ... seems to have stagnated a bit at Sheff Utd but certainly has the requisite skills and experience

But all irrelevant anyway ... it cannot work under the micro-management of Roland

Alex Ferguson himself couldn't work wonders under RD and KM's 'guidance'. Especially when your better players get sold and your squad is made up of inexpeienced kids, foreign rejects and old loanees. Not to mention no fans, no staff, no money, no sponsors............
  • I would take him, but I genuinely feel he is too nice a bloke to have to deal with our owners who will only mess him about.

No manager can succeed with these owners. Having someone run the team is purely a case of damage limitation.
  • Looks like a space filler piece to me.

No hint that he's coming and we knew he was on the list of candidates.

Agreed, nothing of any real substance here.

Have heard he has a bit of the Brent/Phil Brown (including the tan) about him, but of the managers we've been "linked" with so far, he has the best CV.