Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins on his way?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Shrew said:

SDAddick said:

Whoever we bring in will have some say in transfers, but probably not final say. I feel like we just need to accept this and focus on who can coach a team well enough to get us promoted.

At the end of the day the first job of a manager/head coach is to coach the team. Obviously it's very hard to say who will still be around next season, but I don't understand why every British manager feels like they need to build their own team by bringing in 10+ players. First off our manager should be looking at the squad we have and picking out some of the quality players and trying to convince them to stay. A spine of Pope, Bauer/Tex, Kashi/Cousins, and a new forward is really good at League One level.

As far as picking the team, you'd hope that would go without saying. I know Powell insinuated that he had interference, but have any of the managers since spoken out?

I think CP did more than insinuate that Roland interfered with squad/team selection.
    From the interview I listened to with CP basically he was astounded that players he had never heard of turning up at training but was adamant that he always picked the team without interference .
    What Powell said was that if he didn't select certain players, then RD would pester him with e mails, texts and calls to explain why.

In other words he pressurised Powell to play certain players.

Presumably, Powell either did not relent or did so occasionally and reluctantly.

Either way it was why Powell was dismissed.
  • Options

Shrew said:

SDAddick said:

Whoever we bring in will have some say in transfers, but probably not final say. I feel like we just need to accept this and focus on who can coach a team well enough to get us promoted.

At the end of the day the first job of a manager/head coach is to coach the team. Obviously it's very hard to say who will still be around next season, but I don't understand why every British manager feels like they need to build their own team by bringing in 10+ players. First off our manager should be looking at the squad we have and picking out some of the quality players and trying to convince them to stay. A spine of Pope, Bauer/Tex, Kashi/Cousins, and a new forward is really good at League One level.

As far as picking the team, you'd hope that would go without saying. I know Powell insinuated that he had interference, but have any of the managers since spoken out?

I think CP did more than insinuate that Roland interfered with squad/team selection.
    From the interview I listened to with CP basically he was astounded that players he had never heard of turning up at training but was adamant that he always picked the team without interference .
    What Powell said was that if he didn't select certain players, then RD would pester him with e mails, texts and calls to explain why.

In other words he pressurised Powell to play certain players.

Presumably, Powell either did not relent or did so occasionally and reluctantly.

Either way it was why Powell was dismissed.
    I stand corrected, though it has to be said that at the time, the majority on here wanted him out as well.

• Options
    braydex said:

dickplumb said:

If it happens, i will be pleased. He did a good job at Scunthorpe and Southampton. It didn't work out for him at Sheffield United, but these things happen. He will be an improvement on Luzon, Peeters, Fraeye and Riga. What he desperately needs is a good assistant, decent players, no interference from RD or Meire, good Chief Scout, good Director of Football. All i have got to say is GOOD LUCK.

How will it be an improvement? He will still be working for the same wankers who were in charge when the others were appointed. And he will still have the same, if not weaker squad the others couldn't get a result out of!

He may be British, but if every player we end up with is from fucking Belgian, Hungary, Germany or wherever, his Britishness will count for very little.

Underwhelmed to say the least. If we have to have another 'yes man' at least make it one who has a fucking personality.....

Rant over.
    RD has said he's not selling, so can you enlighten us as to whom you would be prepared to accept then?

As Dick has said Adkins would be one of the best we can hope for under the circumstances.
  • Options

Its strange....we moan that we haven't appointed an English manager and when we MAY appoint one, its still not good enough, this isn't support for regime as i would love to see them go but we gotta get behind who ever comes in instead of putting them down because Meire & Duchatelet hired them.

can't see the wood for the trees.
    I like this saying, because I've got no idea what it means.

• Options
    Adkins is on Twitter. Would be a first for a cafc Head Puppet
  • Options
    The more I think of it the more I want this to be true. Out of all realistic targets (Warnock is not going to take a job in League 1) I would genuinely have him top. Fingers crossed
  • Options
    Adkins 2/1 on Bet Victor. Would like to have seen John Collins get a chance if not Adkins.
  • Options
    Anyone who comes to Charlton with these Walloonian buffoons in charge is a fool! It just smacks of desperation!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure how I feel about the prospect of having a Nigel in charge though.
  • Options
    not read the thread so if this has not fallen over yet then I have to say I would be happy with Adkins. decent track record and always very hard done by at Southampton. Works with kids, knows the lower leagues, promotions on his CV. We could do a lot worse and have done with every other appointment made by the twerps so far.
  • Options
    I'd be very happy with Adkins, indeed I'd prefer him to Wilder

A bonus to the club is not having to pay his old club Compensation...
  • Options
    Adkins was at the Valley for the U21 play off game. Seemed very friendly with Simon Clark. Hopefully a place for Clark on the coaching staff if he comes.
  • Options
    Adkins can be a VERY cheap option for Duchatelet.

With his physiotherapy background he could do that as well as manage.

Very shrewd man/c*** is our Roland!
  • Options
    Would be a very good appointment in my opinion.
  • Options
    On a purely tree management post, I can't see the tree for the woods.

Very few manage the woodland properly these days.

Planting coniferous trees is a cop out, they aren't indigenous and are less so as the country gets hotter.

Deciduous trees need some help to start off with. The wood/coppice/forest needs the ground foliage removed until the trees can be big enough to make a canopy which keeps the ground weeds down to appopriate levels.

Willow needs coppicing to be a valuable addition if you want a working forest rather than a tourist attraction.

Oh sod it.
  • Options

Saints fan tells me he had no plan B but would be good for us in L1

Some of our managers didn't even have a plan A.
    Bit harsh. Getting the team to spread out is a plan of sorts!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not sure how I feel about the prospect of having a Nigel in charge though.

We're just have to call him Mr Adkins then ;-)
  • Options
    If he joins us and does well, Adkins or Addo seems appropriate.

• Options
    What are the chances of Adkins joining and then leaving before we've kicked a ball in anger?

I just can't see a proper manager hanging around very long with these fools.
  • Options
    What's the point? A bloke who had success by building his own team at Saints versus a guy who failed at Reading and more crucially at Sheffield Utd, who can't even pick his own team and staff here. Pissing in the wind until those arseholes sell up.
  • Options
    Doesn't matter how good the manager is if there isn't backing from the purse holder, he's stuffed. Ranieri would struggle at Charlton. It's a bit like expecting Lewis Hamilton to win the formula 1 world championship with a Ford Fiesta. realistically we need a top two budget (in League One) to have any chance of securing top six. most of the other clubs are either there to make up the numbers and occasionally hope for a lucky run, or try to avoid the drop, but they are all aclimatised to the league and know what is required.

As for Adkins we could do a lot worse and have been doing for some time. He's a manager that has a track record we've heard of so thats a plus and he's got a reputation to rebuild, so will be hungry.
  • Options

Next Permanent Manager Caretaker and interim managers completing at least 10 competitive games will be deemed the permanent manager

Steve Cotterill 7/2
    Nebojsa Vignjevic 7/2
    Nigel Adkins 5/1
    Uwe Rosler 8/1
    Keith Hill 9/1
    Simon Clark 12/1
    Dougie Freedman 12/1
    Sean O'Driscoll 14/1
    Steve Davis (Current Crewe manager) 14/1
    Paul Lambert 14/1
    Chris Powell 16/1
    Jason Euell 16/1
    Juan Ramon Lopez Muniz 16/1
    Neal Ardley 16/1
    Chris O'Loughlin 16/1
    Kit Symons 18/1
    Malky Mackay 20/1
    Gary Johnson 20/1
    Alan Curbishley 25/1
    Michael Appleton 25/1
    Steve Evans 25/1

The modern day Charlton pieces of the puzzle is reluctantly only complete with this man in charge.

Appointing Adkins is only beating around the bush to a certain extent.

Whether you like him or not, we are stuck with him as the realistic only compatible person for this club.

The club only works if curbs is manager. Whether or not we have an annual budget of £2,000, or £250,000,000

We don't wana admit it, but it's true.
  • Options
    If he comes in, then he will assume the position of Head Coach and Physio. Another cost cutting exercise
  • Options

I give night-Meire less than one week to balls this appointment up..
  • Options
    Stig said:

What are the chances of Adkins joining and then leaving before we've kicked a ball in anger?

I just can't see a proper manager hanging around very long with these fools.

It will happen, you can bank on it.