Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope heading out on loan

Can't see it elsewhere, but Sky reporter is saying that Pope is leaving on loan to join Bury for the rest of the season. I guess this means that a new keeper deal is done?

Comments

• Options
    Check Etheridge thread. Signed until end of the season.
  • Options
    Pete O'Rourke ‏@SportsPeteO 19 minutes ago
    Charlton Athletic goalkeeper Nick Pope is set to join Bury on loan until the end of the season. #CAFC #Buryfc
  • Options

All well and good, but if Pope goes on loan that leaves us until Henderson gets fit, with Mitov as the only cover. Phillips has already gone out on loan as well.

If Pope goes out on loan then someone else will come in. You need 3 keepers available.
  • Options
    I hope and pray Henderson is fine but think he'll be out for a good bit and a new body will join. I don't think anyone sees Etheridge as first choice in anything but the very short term.
  • Options

All well and good, but if Pope goes on loan that leaves us until Henderson gets fit, with Mitov as the only cover. Phillips has already gone out on loan as well.

If Pope goes out on loan then someone else will come in. You need 3 keepers available.
    A fair point.
  • Options

Very true Clem.

They wouldn't let Pope out unless somebody else was coming in.
  • Options
    Gutted for Pope who clearly lost his nerve with us.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Gutted for Pope who clearly lost his nerve with us.

I really believe he'll be a very good keeper one day but sadly I don't think it'll be with us.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

I hope and pray Henderson is fine but think he'll be out for a good bit and a new body will join. I don't think anyone sees Etheridge as first choice in anything but the very short term.

Ben Roberts saying on the OS that Henderson' s injury is a short-term. Still only leaves us with one senior keeper in the meantime though.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

What did Henderson actually injure?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His shoulder.
  • Options
    Lost track with the amount of goalkeepers we've had on the books coming and going this season.
  • Options
    Bury are in league 2, albeit competing for a play off place. Pity he couldn't have gone up a league to Div 1 after his successful spell with York last season.
  • Options
    There can't be many players who've played for both Bury Town and Bury FC...
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Pope will come good, probably not with us, now, and I would have stuck with him, not bothered if I'm in a minority of one.

Wouldn't disagree with this. Until Etheridge starts to dominate his box coming for crosses and commanding his defence my opinion won't change however Ben Roberts must prefer him of the two from what he sees in training and the contract offer he was made in the summer. Six goals conceded in three games, not just down to him but he is part of the defence and must shoulder some responsibility. I'm yet to be convinced.
  • Options

Pope will come good, probably not with us, now, and I would have stuck with him, not bothered if I'm in a minority of one.

I'm with you there. Easy scapegoat for Bob when Bikey and TBH have been just as at fault.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Etheridge has only been given a contract to the end of the season.

Hardy a ringing endorsement.

If Pope leaves that means Etheridge is the only available keeper until we sign someone or promote Mitov.
  • Options
    There's nothing on the OS about it.
  • Options
    A good move for Pope, get plenty of games and rebuild his confidence. Clearly wasn't ready for Champ football but will be in a year or two I'm sure. I'm also certain that we're not writing him off just yet as a club. How long is left on his deal?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure on either Hendo or Ethers... I'd take Hamer as back up.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Pope seems to me that he is short of confidence. Not sure why; however he may be intimidated by the presence of Bikey and TBH, who seem to be very dominant personalities. It must be hard for him to give those two a bollocking when they need it.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Pope seems to me that he is short of confidence. Not sure why; however he may be intimidated by the presence of Bikey and TBH, who seem to be very dominant personalities. It must be hard for him to give those two a bollocking when they need it.

It will be the same for Etheridge and I said as much the other day, would rather have seen an experienced keeper signed on loan who won't take any crap from those in front of him.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Or maybe because Bob is quick to publicly blame him.
  • Options
    Pope has the making of a good keeper in time. Hope it works out for him .
  • Options

pettgra said:

He does seem to shoot from the hip. TBH, Harriott,Tucadean and Pope have all copped it. He is wrong to play the blame game so publically.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

pettgra said:

He does seem to shoot from the hip. TBH, Harriott,Tucadean and Pope have all copped it. He is wrong to play the blame game so publically.
    Agreed he is wrong...butcher must be under tremendous pressure to make this work. Let's hope we have some luck on Saturday.
    Re. Choice of keepers we just need to get through to May in one piece then plenty of time over the summer to re-align the squad ready for next time.
  • Options
    Confirmed. Pope to Bury.
  • Options
    What a load of bollix

Surely Nick can get a game in league 1? Not really going to help him training at that level. Can't we offer better training than Bury? (oh yeah we don't have any strikers to shoot at him because I hear BP likes to be the best in training ;)

Knew he would make mistakes. Inevitable for a goalie. His errors pale into insignificance when compared to BPs management of a young player making his debut at this level.
  • Options
    Totally agree @calydon_road‌
    If he was rated one of the best in league 2 last season then league 1 is the natural progression especially after some exposure in the Championship