Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope heading out on loan

Comments

• Options
    BP was great a few months ago! I'm not hugely impressed by Bikey and Haim. I think they're good enough, but when we were winning their mistakes cost us goals, now it's all the points.

For such big imposing defenders who shout at each other, they lose markers and each other at set pieces and at moments that should be non critical. Asking a young keeper to come for crosses should barely be a necessity with these two.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

BP was great a few months ago! I'm not hugely impressed by Bikey and Haim. I think they're good enough, but when we were winning their mistakes cost us goals, now it's all the points.

For such big imposing defenders who shout at each other, they lose markers and each other at set pieces and at moments that should be non critical. Asking a young keeper to come for crosses should barely be a necessity with these two.

They're too slow as well. I think you could play one of them with another CB, i.e. Gomez, but not together. It's not working. We also sit way to deep with a huge gap between defence and midfield, with no one from midfield ever coming to collect the ball.
  • Options
    I reckon Bobby Moore would lose the odd marker defending 15 corners every game.

I just can't write NP off at Championship level when he has had less than 10 games in a team which allows the oppo to load the box all game long.

BP plays Alamo football. Unfortunately we don't have a terry Lampard and drogba to make this risky style work.

If you concede possession then you better be shit hot in both boxes. We only ever looked competent defensively and if you don't score consistently on the counter than your tactics are a busted flush.

• Options

What a load of bollix

Surely Nick can get a game in league 1? Not really going to help him training at that level. Can't we offer better training than Bury? (oh yeah we don't have any strikers to shoot at him because I hear BP likes to be the best in training ;)

Knew he would make mistakes. Inevitable for a goalie. His errors pale into insignificance when compared to BPs management of a young player making his debut at this level.

Trouble is we can't force a League 1 side to take him and play him.

Maybe Bury were the highest ranking club interested
  • Options
    Could be so....hard to believe though. Wouldn't you take him at that level?

As was said about Etheridge by Hughes, better he is at SL with Tucudean, Pigott and Church working him over.....

Oh yeah I see your point
  • Options
    I slated Pope for his mistakes against Blackpool and felt he should be dropped after the Blackburn game, but surely you stick the kid on the bench and make him wait for his turn again. What message does this send out to any of the youngsters if you fuck up were loaning you out. I thought RD wants to us to play Youth, I thought the whole reason Bob came in was because his good with blooding youngsters not getting rid of them after a few mistakes.
  • Options

Totally agree @calydon_road‌
    If he was rated one of the best in league 2 last season then league 1 is the natural progression especially after some exposure in the Championship

Depends if any club in League One needs a Goalkeeper though...
  • Options
    re Pope. Maybe other teams were interested but maybe couldn't guarantee first team football, maybe we didn't like their manager's footballing philosophy, maybe Popey didn't fancy the other Clubs, maybe other Clubs wouldn't contricute enough to his wages etc etc etc. there are so many if's and but's and seeing as we are not party to them we have to accept that at this time this is the best move for Pope's football education. Ben Roberts said they had a plan and this was always part of the plan.
  • Options
    As a few of you know I'm regularly contracted part time up at Sparrows Lane, and I know first hand how highly Nick Pope is thought off among the coaching staff. Just hope he can develop mentally stronger as that's always been his biggest problem.
  • Options
    I don't think that he has a future with us .. in the few games he had he looked nervous and insecure and that uncertainty and indecisiveness spread to our defenders .. pity, but there it is
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

pettgra said:

Pope seems to me that he is short of confidence. Not sure why; however he may be intimidated by the presence of Bikey and TBH, who seem to be very dominant personalities. It must be hard for him to give those two a bollocking when they need it.

It will be the same for Etheridge and I said as much the other day, would rather have seen an experienced keeper signed on loan who won't take any crap from those in front of him.
    So much for the experienced keeper coming in then.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

I slated Pope for his mistakes against Blackpool and felt he should be dropped after the Blackburn game, but surely you stick the kid on the bench and make him wait for his turn again. What message does this send out to any of the youngsters if you fuck up were loaning you out. I thought RD wants to us to play Youth, I thought the whole reason Bob came in was because his good with blooding youngsters not getting rid of them after a few mistakes.

A player going on loan, doesn't necessarily mean, you're getting rid of them.
    I'd say Pope is more likely to improve by playing for Bury, than sitting on our bench.
    Most supporters think Pope has the ability, he just needs to gain experience and confidence.
    He'll more likely get that playing for Bury, than sitting on the bench ?
  • Options
    Hope we haven't damaged him too much. He's gone from starter to being replaced by 2 keeper's who couldn't get in Oldham's and Ujpest first team and shipped out on loan to L2.

I'd imagine his confidence is shot to bits right now
  • Options

Hope we haven't damaged him too much. He's gone from starter to being replaced by 2 keeper's who couldn't get in Oldham's and Ujpest first team and shipped out on loan to L2.

I'd imagine his confidence is shot to bits right now

I suspect his confidence would benefit from him playing even at League 2 level, rather than sitting on the bench brooding or more likely, once injuries have cleared up, playing at Sparrows in the development squad.

In many ways following his success at York this is a away of going back to basics and re establishing those things that he was doing well there.

I am not sure he has a long term future with us given the growing strength of competition, but this loan should help him get there.
  • Options
    All the best Nick , hope you do well.
  • Options
    I still think he has a future with us. We as Charlton fans are too quick to write players off.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

A good move for Pope, get plenty of games and rebuild his confidence. Clearly wasn't ready for Champ football but will be in a year or two I'm sure. I'm also certain that we're not writing him off just yet as a club. How long is left on his deal?

Ye but we'll be in the prem by then. So maybe he could do a season in league 1 with millwall next year. And a season in the champ with palace the following year. Then he might be ready to make it for us in the prem.
  • Options

I still think he has a future with us. We as Charlton fans are too quick to write players off.

Im suspect the club do to, otherwise they would be getting rid during the transfer window rather than sending him out to get more game time
  • Options
    Might have been an idea to see how Etheridge panned out first. Especially as it has now become evident how he has panned out now!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Can't comprehend the "lost confidence" comments. Pope's ethos is come for everything you think you can get and hasn't changed. Occasionally the defence left him exposed vs a totally unmarked forward and he was forced to come for a ball he was unlikely to win. He did palm one out to an unmarked opponent. Etheridge conceded far more (more Saturday than Popes 3/4 games) than Pope in less games and culpable for more.

Curious move to send him on loan before new No2 had even trained. Ben's decision? Bob's? Dudu's? Rolands? Get well soon Hendo.
  • Options
    Lots of poor decisions going on within the club recently.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I like Pope and think he is going to be a great keeper for us, hopefully for years.

Good luck Nick. Look forward to you coming back.

I very much doubt we will see him play for us again

• Options

Apparently had a very impressive debut for Bury at the weekend according to a colleague. Made some top saves and also some great decisions coming off his line.

Let's hope he gets his confidence back because I still think he is going to be a top keeper one day.

To be fair he was probably playing behind a better defence...
  • Options

Redrobo said:

I like Pope and think he is going to be a great keeper for us, hopefully for years.

I do so hope you are wrong. He is so going to be a good goal keeper. I actually think we should have stuck with him. I think he is better than what we have at the moment.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

If that is the case it's a big loss. Someone's messed up, as time will tell.

• Options

Can't comprehend the "lost confidence" comments. Pope's ethos is come for everything you think you can get and hasn't changed. Occasionally the defence left him exposed vs a totally unmarked forward and he was forced to come for a ball he was unlikely to win. He did palm one out to an unmarked opponent. Etheridge conceded far more (more Saturday than Popes 3/4 games) than Pope in less games and culpable for more.

Curious move to send him on loan before new No2 had even trained. Ben's decision? Bob's? Dudu's? Rolands? Get well soon Hendo.

I think we can guess. He has been moved aside to make way for a new horse from the Roland stable
  • Options

Redrobo said:

When he went out on loan Ben Roberts claimed it was always the plan to send him out on loan in the second half of the season.

Maybe that's not true but he did sign a new 4 year deal last summer. Not many young players here are offered contracts as long as that.
  • Options
    Pope needed to regain his confidence.

If he can have a good loan spell at Bury, then that'll help him massively.