Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton A vs Bolton W | Tues 21st Oct 2014 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic vs Bolton Wanderers
7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee – Simon Hooper

INTRODUCTION

'Frustrating', 'poor' and 'lacklustre'. Those are words that were used to describe Charlton’s first league defeat of the season, to Bournemouth last Saturday.

Hopefully by the end of Tuesday night, words such as, 'excellent', 'fantastic' and ‘I’m getting Bob’s face tattooed on my rear side’ will be used by Addicks fans.

However, injuries to Bob Peeters’ side will mean that the midweek visit from the Trotters will prove to be quite difficult. Especially as momentum will be in Neil Lennon’s side, following a 1-0 away victory against Birmingham last weekend.

THE OPPOSITION

The appointment of Lennon last week means that Charlton will face a totally different Bolton side who were previously struggling in the relegation zone, before Lennon’s arrival.

The ex-Celtic boss brings discipline, proven by not letting his players wear hats on the training pitch, as well as Champions League experience due to his Parkhead days as a player and coach.

He is likely to name the same 11 that started against Birmingham last Saturday which will mean a Valley return for centre-back Dorian Dervite, who left the club last summer.

Despite their league position of 23rd, Bolton do have a lot to offer in the way of talent in their squad. The likes of Lee-Chung-Yong and Jermaine Beckford, have Premier League experience and could cause one or two problems Tuesday night.

ONE TO WATCH – JAY SPEARING

My player to watch this week is Bolton skipper: Jay Spearing.

The 25-year-old has been a rare shining light for the Trotters this season and has been one of their most consistent performers since his arrival from Liverpool in 2012.

He won Bolton’s player of the year award in 2013 and was awarded with the captain’s armband last summer as a reflection of his fine performances.

He’ll probably be up against the likes of Jackson and Buyens in the middle, so it’ll be interesting to see the battle in midfield on Tuesday night.

LINE-UP

Well Saturday’s defeat would have left Peeters wondering how to change things ahead of the Bolton clash.

One thing is for certain, Stephen Henderson will be in goal following his impressive start to the season.

In defence, Chris Solly will most likely be rested and with Joe Gomez seemingly not 100% fit, Lawrie Wilson may be selected at right-back.

Bikey, Ben Haim and Wiggins will probably keep their spots at the back.

In midfield, Johann Berg Gudmundsson should continue on the right-wing following his return from injury. While Jackson, Buyens and Cousins, will probably keep their spots.

Up-front, Peeters described Vetokele as a ‘big doubt’ for Tuesday after an Achilles injury during the defeat to the Cherries. Ahearne-Grant may be given another chance to shine up-top while George Tucudean will be pressing to start.

The likes of Franck Moussa, Frederic Bulot and Callum Harriott will also be in contention for the Bolton clash.

Charlton Athletic - Football tactics and formations

PREDICTION

If Vetokele is injured, someone will need to step-up. I can see us winning, but, only just.

Charlton Athletic 1-0 Bolton Wanderers.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Think KAG did well yesterday but for me I'd have him on the bench.. The full 90 would have taken it out of him and we don't want to heap too much pressure on a 17th old...
    Also think there has to be a fall guy for the continued failings in the middle of the park. Judging from the subs on Saturday it looks like it might be jj (no I am not a Jackson hater). I would like to see us play with pace and hit teams on the counter attack so:

Tucudean
    harriot bulot JBG
    cousins buyens
    wiggins bikey Ben haim Wilson
    hendo

Pope Morrison fox jj munns moussa KEY

This team would be solid defensively and have the ability to hit a team fast on the break. George has the hold up play to bring the quick guys into play running off him and they won't be able to handle the pace and quality of three different runners.. also George offers a different option with his height.. KAG on the bench if we need to revert to 442.
    Also shows a little faith in Harriot which is deserved as we all know he can do it!
    We didn't see the best of Stephens until he was played alongside cousins which allowed him to play his natural game.. let's hope the same goes for buyens..

2:0 to the addicks and a thoroughly enjoyable game!

George and bulot to get the goals!
  • Options
    The nailed on six points from Bolton and Fulham is suddenly looking a bit shaky. Where will the goals come from?
    Still hoping for big things from Moussa, so I'll say 1-0, so long as we don't score too early, obviously.
  • Options
    Charlton A 1-1 Bolton W
  • Options
    After Saturday I'm a bit worried that the honeymoon period is over.
    Was alarmed at how Bob's self proclaimed preferred method of playing the ball out of defence was summarily abandoned at Bournemouth with no obvious alternative on show but SH launching it.
    Thought starting KAH at this point in time ahead of a fit Tucadean and Moussa had an air of desperation about it.
    Where is the invention and creativity coming from in midfield?
    Whichever striker(s) we start with, are we going to give them any service, or just poke it in the direction of Vetokele (if fit) and hope he'll turn his man and run free?
    Please surprise me Bob, or prove that I know f*** all.
    At the very least we need to play with the determination and intent that we started the second half at Bmth with, but with some creativity and end product.
    Maybe JBG and Bulot will step up (if selected).
    0-2
  • Options
    Charlton 0-2 Bolton

Losses come along like buses
  • Options
    Tucudean has plenty to prove, but even so it must have been galling for him to see an untried 17 year old preferred on Saturday. This being so, I see him starting on Tuesday and making an impact. I think he has a reasonable amount of ability, but lacks a bit of self belief. Tuesday could kick-start his season.
  • Options
    Back to winning ways with a tight 1-0 win. Still lacking creativity though and Bolton having more of the play.

1-0

Tucudean
  • Options
    Gorgeous George to net a hat trick 3-1 win.
  • Options
    The loss of Vetokele generally worries me, i agree with boulderhumphreyreid on the 4-2-3-1. id much prefer it over the 4-4-2. possibly even try a 4-5-1 as we have the correct players for that as well. itl be a tighter game than i thought on tuesday but il say 2-1 to Charlton. George and Johann to score. #COYA
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-1 to the Addicks, I'm unavailable to do the match thread so @lancashirelad has agreed to step in. Thanks mate.
  • Options
    Without Vetokele 0-1 with boy wonder 1-1

And the binary bores go marching on on on zzzzzzz
  • Options
    I wouldn't read much into their win at St Andrew's, Birmingham are gash at home. However, with our injuries I suspect a 1-0 loss. Fulham will be far more tougher than most expect as well.
  • Options
    Without Vetokele I can't see where the goals are coming from. 2-0 to Bolton,
  • Options
    Worst possible time for this fixture (and the next). Injuries to our key players, our luck finally runs out and new manager bounce for our opponents. We'll probably win 3-0.

Actually, we probably won't. I can see a difficult run coming up. Bottom six by Christmas.

The crazy thing about this game and about this league in particular is that either of the above scenarios is entirely feasible. In reality it will probably be neither feast nor famine. We might scrape a draw tomorrow and struggle for a bit but with reinforcements I'm hopeful we'll cling to mid table which, lest we forget, was a decent ambition in August. But we do need a plan B and to get some attacking impetus from somewhere.
  • Options
    Reckon we'll get rinsed here. 0-3 to Bolton, new manager and all...

;0(
  • Options
    A 1-2 defeat but the more likely event will be Big Bob and Lennon squaring up at some point.
    It's bound to happen !
  • Options
    i think this will be a 0-0. We don't have a serious goal threat at the moment without Vetokele, so if we did score it would be only 1 and Bolton's tails will be up after the weekend so this will be tough. But i think our defence will be on form so i like to feel confident we won't lose.

Team i would put out:-

Henderson
    Gomez Ben Haim Bikey Wiggins
    Gudmundsoon Cousins Buyens Bulot
    Moussa
    Tucudean

Subs - Pope, Morrison, Fox, Harriott, Wilson, Jackson, Ahearne-Grant,
  • Options
    0-0 without igor the great

0-0 with igor the great
  • Options
    After the disappointment of the weekend I would hope for a response - I suspect Mr Bobby gave them a rocket and I am looking for positive action.

I fully expect Bolton to park the bus and think a low scoring encounter is on the cards. Either 1-0 or 0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We should not be scraping the squad barrier in mid October because of a couple of injuries. The weakness of RD's business strategy has come home to roost. The logic of it has never made sense to me.

Apparently, if we are in a challenging position in January the squad will be reinforced , that means anywhere in the top half as this gives a play off chance at least . However what are we supposed to read from this, that if we are struggling the squad will not be reinforced-and RD will be happy to risk relegation? It makes no sense. The squad has been two players short since it became clear that Tucudean cannot hack it up front and Jackson and Buyens cannot create in the middle, which was a while ago now.

In the last few games I can feel that the supporters at home have begun to turn against the team. In that situation the last thing you need is17 year olds getting the brunt of the frustration, this is what happened with Pigott remember.
  • Options
    Seeing as my 0-4 predictions have now failed to earn us a win or draw I'll go back to proper predictions.

Bolton 2 - 0 Charlton

Bikey will score an oggy and Ben Haim will give away a penalty.

After the oggy but before the penalty we'll be disallowed a perfectly good goal for offside. KAG will be the disappointed man/boy.

Tucudean will play well but get panned for missing a sitter.
  • Options
    Nowhere near enough pace in our side but we need to get at Bolton from the start. They're away from home and in the bottom three for a reason. I'm not hopeful without Igor though. 0-0 written all over it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    1-0 to BP's Red and too much White Army. (CAFC to score last minute penalty which has the managers squaring upto one another, best entertainment of the night so don't leave early).
  • Options
    Do we go with

------------Henderson
    Wilson----Morrison----TBH----Wiggins
    -
    JBG------Buyens-----Jackson----Cousins
    -
    ----------Bikey---Tucudean

Bully their defence with the big boys.
  • Options
    This is a defeat. Our slide in quality combined with the new manager effect at Bolton will result in a 2-0 loss.
  • Options
    Henderson

Wilson TBH Bikey Wiggins

Cousins Buyens

Guddy Jacko Bulot

Tucudean

1-1
  • Options
    Pace pace pace! You can't play counter attacking football with cousins on a wing and both Jackson and buyens in the middle...
    4-2-3-1 for me
    tucudean
    Harriot/bulot moussa JBG
    cousins buyens
    wiggins tbh bikey solly
    hendo
  • Options
    I think we need Solly Friday, rest the lad for this Wilson is good enough to step up.

Though I'd prefer Wilson at RM in place of JBG who has been poor.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I think we are going to struggle but i don't really understand the panic over them having a new manager, as we have already taken 3 points off a new manager(Watford) at the Valley and they were a lot stronger then Bolton.

1-0 win for the Addicks as we put in an average performance but good enough to just about take all the points, goal from Cousins.