Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Running and Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    The royal parks half marathon is amazing. Well worth the trip, I'd say
  • Options
    I'm looking at the Royal Parks Ultra for next year :)
  • Options
    Agree, the Royal Parks Half (and indeed Ultra) are worth coming over from the US for. On a sunny day it is great going through London's parks and past the iconic sights. Not too challenging with inclines either. But the ballot is closed for this year so charity places only.
  • Options
    Ta to ya. What about the Brighton half?
  • Options

Other than the GNR are there any other MUST DO half or full marathons that are worth a trip from the States?

The GNR is a fabulous event having done it last September and the atmosphere was amazing with 56000 runners. Bit hectic at the end though. The ballot is closed for this but there will be charity places available. I will do it again in a few years. After undergoing physio over the past few months the running is back on track and have the Liverpool Half Marathon next Sunday. Preparation is vital for such events in terms of excercise and diet.
  • Options
    Sorry to read about the injuries as it can be really frustrating when this happens and its constantly on your mind once you are better that it will flare up again. Between October and January it has been a nightmare. All you can do is rest as much as you can using ice packs and if necessary, anti inflammatories. Go easy on the training when recovered and do a few short runs rather than go mental with the distances. In my opinion its quality not quantity of the runs that is key alongside of course proper stretches afterwards and warming up properly beforehand.
  • Options
    Right, went to see the Physio last night. He's said I've got runners knee (in both knees) but is easily solved by some strengthening exercises. Sounds bad but its really not. As the quads get the stronger (the inner one rather than the outer one), the discomfort should get less.

The good news is that he said its fine to continue running in the next 11 days before Paris but just take it easy. The knees will be sore but I wont be doing no long lasting damage. Phew :)

So I've celebrated by signing up for another marathon in July lol.
  • Options
    Paddock Wood Half this morning - fingers crossed for a PB
  • Options
    edited March 2014
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Used to do 10k every Sunday. Done a 7 half marathons. Never done a marathon, but might happen in a couple of years time.

Decided to get back into my weekly run, but lost my running shoes, so have decided for something completely new. Vibram Five Fingers Bikila. Apparently you need to have a lot of patience with these ones. More of less barefoot running, but it's good for your knees (apparently). You instantly change your running style (again, apparently...).
    Shoes should arrive any time soon. Always keen on trying something different.

Been running in these for about a month.
    Not supposed to start with long runs, but did two 5k runs and then straight in to 10k runs.
    I love them. They're very very light and you clearly notice this at the end of your run, if you're used to wearing heavier running shoes.
    And no blisters either. Bought a pair of five finger socks too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bagpuss were you wearing a Charlton hat before the start, in the bag drop queue?
  • Options
    The psychology and physiology of running is amazing now, but it is only likely to have a marginal impact. Running always bores me, but two of my brother's have run London, one did about 3:50, but he was young and in the army so should be fit. My older brother once did it in 3:19, which if you take off the time to get out of the park (he just got a late ticket from someone who dropped out) will be close to 3hr mark. The fact he stopped near the end at the Blackfriars underpass for some beer (he requested this in advance) and a tab, shows he could have done sub 3. Though he will be the first to admit that being a heavy drinker doesn't help. He said he found it relatively easy as he did a lot of fell running years before. But it shows that your physical make up is far more important than training and sports science. You cannot change your body too much beyond its original capacity, but might squeak a bit more out of it.
  • Options

Bagpuss were you wearing a Charlton hat before the start, in the bag drop queue?

'fraid not, I was in minimalist Blackheath and Bromley kit. Enjoyed the run (got my PB too) and I'll be back next year - did you run it Addickforlife?

• Options

The psychology and physiology of running is amazing now, but it is only likely to have a marginal impact. Running always bores me, but two of my brother's have run London, one did about 3:50, but he was young and in the army so should be fit. My older brother once did it in 3:19, which if you take off the time to get out of the park (he just got a late ticket from someone who dropped out) will be close to 3hr mark. The fact he stopped near the end at the Blackfriars underpass for some beer (he requested this in advance) and a tab, shows he could have done sub 3. Though he will be the first to admit that being a heavy drinker doesn't help. He said he found it relatively easy as he did a lot of fell running years before. But it shows that your physical make up is far more important than training and sports science. You cannot change your body too much beyond its original capacity, but might squeak a bit more out of it.

Not fancy completing the brother hat trick then Steve?

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I'm looking at the Royal Parks Ultra for next year :)

Ouch.
  • Options
    Well, a week since seeing the Physio, I've made a miraculous recovery. Have been doing the VMO exercises daily to build up my inner quads and I've been doing hamstring stretches twice daily and I seem to be back in shape again. Realy wish I'd gone to see the Physio a bit earlier than I did now but hey, will put that down to experience.

Done my last 10 mile run today, am all set for next Sunday in Paris. Just need to do avoid anyone who looks like they have man flu now lol.

My new word - Maranoia (n.): The fear of something going wrong (illness, injury, etc.) in the weeks before a marathon.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

My new word - Maranoia (n.): The fear of something going wrong (illness, injury, etc.) in the weeks before a marathon.

I had that ijn the lead-up to the London To Paris 24 last year. I called it 'Paranoia' :)

• Options
    WSS said:

Not fancy completing the brother hat trick then Steve?

O
    No way, I may have been forced into it a few years ago if my other brother had done it, but luckily he finds running boring too. Sisters have never had much interest in running either thankfully.
  • Options
    So - give us your marathon run-down then JohnBoy! Saw on Strava that you did it - well done!
  • Options
    Did Brighton yesterday in a PB of 3.50.07. Decent course but the start is a nightmare. Really congested and threw in a 10.5 minute mile, first mile. This was going to be my third and last marathon but I think I can go sub 3.50 so I'm not ruling out another one. Good luck to everyone doing London next week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first run of the season this year, sunshine Coast half marathon - personal best of 1h 28 & 47 secs... stoked to get under hour and a half for the first time. Less than 4 months to the Canada iron man.... yikes!
  • Options
    Did Brighton (my first marathon) in 4hours 24 minutes. I set a goal of sub 4 hours when I signed up but after a stress fractured ankle and running the race with shin splints I realised very early on that I was being totally unrealistic so just settled for trying to get across the line. Very difficult but an experience I would recommend as it feels like I've achieved so much. Also I raised £500 for mind which was even more satisfying.
  • Options
    We'll done on toughing it out Smithy, you did well.
    Good pb stop shouting , sub 3.45 next time!
    We'll done crazy, that's a great time, don't envy you doing an iron!

JohnBoyUK said:

I had that ijn the lead-up to the London To Paris 24 last year. I called it 'Paranoia' :)
    Taper madness, no-one escapes.
  • Options
    Anybody here thinking about doing the 2015 Brighton Marathon? We could have a Charlton Athletic "team" as they now have team entries>
  • Options
    edited April 2014

So - give us your marathon run-down then JohnBoy! Saw on Strava that you did it - well done!

Sorry peeps, I've been on leave this week and have had the daughter with me so thisis the first time I've been near my PC.

I blogged my race report here

In summary, 4:24. Initially disappointed as not getting the 4:08-4:10 I set out to get but was just glad to get to the finish in the end. All the way through training, despite the long runs of 17, 18, 20 and 21, I didnt hit the wall once. I hit the wall in Paris at Mile 17 and had absolutely nothing left. It was the first time my average pace dropped below 9:30 min/mile pace so I tried to put my foot down and ended up going backwards. The last 9 miles were hell on earth. It was warm, muggy and I was sweating buckets more than I had done through training. I cant believe how many 9/10 backsides I saw in 26 miles though. They kept me going with a huge smile on my face for the most part :)

Looking back since I posted on the blog and talking it through with some of the experts, I've got a few things to work on. I probably should have run the first 10k about 2 mins slower, like I had in training time and time again. I need to work on my fueling. I've been relying on jelly babies as my main food source. I need to swap them out for more gels. I also need to run as near to the blue line as possible as 26.47 miles is not 26.2. Thats a quarter of a mile more than marathon distance and that adds up to 2-3 mins on its own. Of course, there was the issue of the runners knee that I had 2-3 weeks beforehand which made me go into my taper a week and a half earlier than planned and lost a shed load of mileage in that third to last week.

Have now got 4 marathons lined up. Am doing the Ranscombe Challenge in July (I think) as a training run. I'm then going to run Amsterdam in October and hope to get my 4:08-4:10 or better then. I'm either going to run the Richmond Ultra in August or the Thames Coastal Marathon on 1st Sept as a warm up for Amsterdam. Well thats the plan anyway. Am looking to book Brighton 2015 for next year as my back up in case I dont get a VLM place through the ballot.

Have definitely got the marathon bug now :)
  • Options
    Well done John, great effort for first marathon, well toughed out!
    Did you carbo-load for 2-3 days beforehand 'cos that should help a lot with the fuelling and hydration? I find that that plus some of the Lucozade they hand out is enough for me.
    Also try running your long runs unfuelled, gets your body used to burning fat instead of glycogen, (apart from the last couple) I do all my long runs first thing in the morning on just a cup of black coffee - up to 27 miles!

For those doing VLM (who?) , couple of handy links ...
    Friends and family can track your 5k & halfway splits as they happen here (but link won't work till race starts):
    http://results-2014.virginlondonmarathon.com/2014/

And this link allows you to automatically post your halfway and finish times to that facebook thang:
    http://adidasboost.london-marathon.co.uk/static/facebook/london/lm2014.html

• Options
    Really struggling to beat my 5k / 10k PBs no matter how much I train - currently at 25.06 and 52.12 respectively.

Any tips as to how I should be using my 2 weekday training slots more effectively?
  • Options
    Those of you who are keen marathon runners but are also quite partial to a glass or two of vino....the perfect race.

Marathandumedoc.com

September 13th and at the refreshment stalls the question is 'red or white'?
  • Options
    Whatever you do guys, please take it easy especially in this hot weather. I've long had misgivings about about long distance running; that's been compounded now because a guy I used to play football with died on Sunday. It worries me that too many people get obsessive about this stuff and push themselves to hard. Please, know your limits, take on plenty of fluids, take it easy, and if you feel bad stop and get some medical attention - don't just soldier on. There's absolutely no point in being that fastest/longest/bravest runner in the cemetery.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/11264087.Man_dies_after_completing_Southend_Half_Marathon/
  • Options
    Oh my Stig that is so sad...condolences to the guy and his family. And you are right that its a reminder that distance running isn't something to take likely at all.

I ran the Cincinnati, Ohio marathon last month and the last 90 minutes were in temps approaching 25 Celsius, it was damn tough and as I stumbled across the finishing line with chronic cramps in both legs I was wheeled straight into the medical tent.

This place was more like a portable hospital with at least 60 people being treated. One guy looked like he was suffering with a reverse hypothermia shaking uncontrollably while the woman in the makeshift bed next to me had a whole team working on her. It certainly put things into perspective for me that chasing that personal best time really isn't everything.