Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Baker

Comments

• Options
    Stupid and unfunny post yes, but who has been offended by it? The royals? Well if they have I suspect it is because of the monkey not racial grounds. So mostly people who search out racism, mostly who are probably white and probably middle class. Grow up. 
  • Options
    Just heard his statement after being doorstepped by the BBC. It’s hilarious. 
  • Options
    CHG said:
    Did Baker go to the same school as Hennessy?
    More likely to have been Jim Davidson.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think a big issue is when we think of "a racist" we think of a person who outwardly or at least inward harbours hatred towards people of other races. Whilst there are obviously people who exemplify that, the majority of racism that people experience, I would say, occurs because people are unaware that the things they do or say can, when also done by a lot of people in society, really make people's life demonstrably worse. 

So we all contribute to it without necessarily knowing or being aware of it, because of the way the world we are brought up in is shaped. So I don't think the tweet was an example of a person's hatred towards people of other races, but it was an example of someone who's brain did not flag up to him that people from mixed-race backgrounds are subjected to these kinds of comparisons on a regular basis, which will make their life experience demonstrably worse.

I don't think we should be afraid of the word 'racist,' in the way that we currently are, and should be aware that is doesn't necessarily define a person's character, but more-often-than-not some actions and behaviours that most of us can slip into, now and again. We need to understand there is a difference between 'that is a racist thing to say/do' and 'you are a racist person.' (We can save that for the outwardly racist people.)
  • Options
    we had a goalie not knowing about Hitler the other week so you never know, regarding the faux outrage by people gets on my nerves, its a racist and something that belongs back in time type of humour ( and even that its not as its not funny ) but to cause people to come out in tears its the same as the bint that was sobbing after a certain referendum result. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    So a football fan calls a black player a monkey and he is banned for life---- Baker tweets a  pic showing the Royal baby as a monkey and he gets defended ?

Very strange parameters placed on this "racism" thingy
    It has been explained multiple times, I just don’t think some of you want to listen. 

The BBC’s decision is spineless and pathetic. 

he must have known there was a very good chance of this outcome when he hit send. 
    No. That’s exactly the point. He didn’t see the connection. He saw NO connotations. That’s why he had no problem hitting send. 

Danny finds monkeys dressed as people inherently funny. He saw it as an image representing posh people. He’s explained that. 

It’s amazing to me how you’re happy to wholeheartedly believe ambiguous subtext, but entirely reject explanation. Why? Why is that? Why do you want to believe the negative and throw away the alternative? 
    He saw no connotations.

I take umbrage with this. He's a massive football fan; surely he would've known about the connotations of apes/racism and such?

If he didn't know Meghan was mixed race... then, just maybe, is there an "explanation".

Danny finds monkeys dressed as people inherently funny.

Yes, fine. But there are many people - myself included - who see it as potentially pejorative.

This is assuming he didn't see connotations - which as a VERY experienced broadcast journalist, I can't believe. It is more likely than not that he would have known Meghan is mixed race. Her mum was at the wedding and all.

------------------------

Like, I don't actually think Danny is a racist. I think he's a great broadcaster and the Sausage Sandwich Game is something I and my dad listened to as a tradition on Saturday mornings. I have plenty of time for him.

HOWEVER.

I find it unlikely that he didn't know at least a little bit of info that would prevent him from tweeting this.

If it was a true brain-fade, then I think the sacking is well over the top. 

That said, again, his Tweets aren't exactly what I'd call repentant or contrite (which I think you really would have to be, because come ON you're comparing a mixed-race child to a chimpanzee, even if inadvertently).

------------------------
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    So a football fan calls a black player a monkey and he is banned for life---- Baker tweets a  pic showing the Royal baby as a monkey and he gets defended ?

It has been explained multiple times, I just don’t think some of you want to listen. 

he must have known there was a very good chance of this outcome when he hit send. 
    No. That’s exactly the point. He didn’t see the connection. He saw NO connotations. That’s why he had no problem hitting send. 

Danny finds monkeys dressed as people inherently funny. He saw it as an image representing posh people. He’s explained that. 

It’s amazing to me how you’re happy to wholeheartedly believe ambiguous subtext, but entirely reject explanation. Why? Why is that? Why do you want to believe the negative and throw away the alternative? 
    Sorry but Danny Baker is intelligent and aware enough of the ridiculous society we live in,  that tweeting a picture of a chimp as the baby of a well documented mixed race mother will be called out by some as racist. If he didn't realise that he's an idiot.

But is it racist?
    The image and the caption is, without doubt. For the record I do not believe it was posted with any racist intention at all. None. I accept that he didn't see any racist context. However it was thoroughly stupid and I'm glad the big mouth, egotistical, obsequious big head has had some long overdue comeuppance.   
    I fail to see how DB can be a 'big mouth' and 'egotistical' as well as being 'obsequious'. You might want to look up what that word actually means.Besides, his numerous sackings are proof that he is anything but; you simply don't like him.
    And as for your accusations of him being a 'big mouth' and 'egotistical', well...
  • Options
    How many people have been fired over stupid things they put on twitter?!  That app really is the direct line to all human stupidity.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Redskin said:
    Riviera said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Sorry but Danny Baker is intelligent and aware enough of the ridiculous society we live in,  that tweeting a picture of a chimp as the baby of a well documented mixed race mother will be called out by some as racist. If he didn't realise that he's an idiot.

But is it racist?
    The image and the caption is, without doubt. For the record I do not believe it was posted with any racist intention at all. None. I accept that he didn't see any racist context. However it was thoroughly stupid and I'm glad the big mouth, egotistical, obsequious big head has had some long overdue comeuppance.   
    I fail to see how DB can be a 'big mouth' and 'egotistical' as well as being 'obsequious'. You might want to look up what that word actually means.Besides, his numerous sackings are proof that he is anything but; you simply don't like him.
    And as for your accusations of him being a 'big mouth' and 'egotistical', well...
    Obsequious when interviewing famous people. Recall him being so far up Rick Wakemans arse once you could see his stupid face in Wakemans mouth when he spoke. 
  • Options
    I think he is an excellent broadcaster, but this tweeting event is monumentally stupid and inevitably leads to sanctions, how can it not?

I have discovered that facebook and twitter are part of the same multi national astonishingly rich company.
    They are rich because common sense indicates that nothing comes for free even if you don't pay them direct money.
    God knows why so much of modern discourse is carried out on these questionable platforms enriching already very rich companies. (What was that about paying tax?)
    I am not on either twitter or facebook, and the more time passes I feel more relieved.
    What is totally annoying is that so many others, individuals and organisations, assume we all have facebook and twitter. They are salespeople for the already incredibly rich aren't they? As a result there is a sense of alienation, even a weird disenfranchisement (as well as the relief I mentioned above) and a feeling of being out of the loop if you're not on those two platforms.
    I suppose as a vegetarian I'm used to swimming against the tide, but I see twitter and facebook as an undiluted diet of something like the MacDonalds of the intellect, communication, and online existence.
    This latest 'look at me' event is an example of the paucity of modern culture.

If the BBC put Alan Green on in his slot though I will despair.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Stupid and unfunny post yes, but who has been offended by it? The royals? Well if they have I suspect it is because of the monkey not racial grounds. So mostly people who search out racism, mostly who are probably white and probably middle class. Grow up. 

If we want to generalise, im presuming it is white working class people that think its funny and pathetic he got flagged.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think he is an excellent broadcaster, but this tweeting event is monumentally stupid and inevitably leads to sanctions, how can it not?

I have discovered that facebook and twitter are part of the same multi national astonishingly rich company.
    They are rich because common sense indicates that nothing comes for free even if you don't pay them direct money.
    God knows why so much of modern discourse is carried out on these questionable platforms enriching already very rich companies. (What was that about paying tax?)
    I am not on either twitter or facebook, and the more time passes I feel more relieved.
    What is totally annoying is that so many others, individuals and organisations, assume we all have facebook and twitter. They are salespeople for the already incredibly rich aren't they? As a result there is a sense of alienation, even a weird disenfranchisement (as well as the relief I mentioned above) and a feeling of being out of the loop if you're not on those two platforms.
    I suppose as a vegetarian I'm used to swimming against the tide, but I see twitter and facebook as an undiluted diet of something like the MacDonalds of the intellect, communication, and online existence.

They're not
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    WSS said:
    I wonder if Danny Baker wanted to go out in a blaze of glory because he said just a few years ago he wanted to quit around the 60 mark and go to America ?

I'm not a Royalist and I believe in the Darwin theory that we are a first cousin to the apes.
    BUT if he had posted that picture when Kate and William had their baby it would of hit the Royal Privilege look at me like animals in a zoo and not Megan and Harry which has turned into a banana skin for Baker because of Megan's mixed race heritage.

It sounds like Danny is burning his bridges with more tweets and there will be no way back at the BBC this time. (He got sacked last time when he gave the address of a ref  he didn't like)

I find it interesting to read the polar opposite views on this thread. 

For me it Red sauce 70% of the time.
    Racist.
    Well spotted WSS, 
    I thought it was apt to use the poor old Banana skin.

I must be a racist because I believe we are ALL related to apes and Gareth Bale and Sol Campbell have the bone structure to prove this theory. If I was a broadcaster would I say this ? No, because the questions on my doorstep would be "Do you deny saying Sol Campbell is an Ape"

David Attenborough is the only person at the BBC who can get a Knighthood for saying the truth ?  We are ALL closely related to Monkeys whether White, Black or people of Colour.

Now I'm off to have my second banana of the day.

Ps. Having listened to the Saturday radio show on and off for years, Danny Baker have always been obsessed with monkeys and other animals dressed up in a parade set to music. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:

They're not
    I stand corrected. I always thought they were.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

In any other sphere of life, any employee doing what he did would likely face dismissal for 'behaviour likely to bring the organisation into disrepute'. He made a pretty big error of judgement and he, like all of us, is responsible for his own actions, regardless of the intent. 

For what it's worth, I don't believe he intended to be racist, or indeed is a racist - only he knows that.

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Surely as a football fan he'll know all about the association with race and apes. I don't believe he's racist in any way, but my god, he needs to hold up his hands and say he deserved to be sacked for that moment of idiocy
    He has on James O'Brien's LBC show this morning.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    If Baker's tweet is so outrageous, then heads need to roll at The Birmingham Mail and any other paper cavalier enough to publish it. Of course, nobody has suggested that until now, so I can only presume that the tweet is fine in and of itself and everyone is happy to play the man rather than the ball. I find the whole thing pathetic, and as a committed anti-racist believe that stupid over reactions like this only prove to be counter productive.
    I don't agree. Reporting facts as a media organisation in a country with a free press doesn't mean you endorse the views or actions you are reporting on - Especially if there's a legitimate public interest, as in this case. Indeed, that's their job. It would be very scary were this not the case, as in some countries.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    stonemuse said:
    This is my feelings too.

He’s not a racist (that anyone can prove anyway), the picture alone is not racist but by associating it with a mixed race child, it took on a racist message.

Should’ve been a slap on the wrist and told to publicly apologise. It appears that that happened and I don’t think they should’ve taken further action.