Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Oh, I see, he was involved in the English language version. I always watch them in Japanese with subtitles. A case in point in how plot points change in the different dubs; in the Japanese original of Pom Poko, the raccoons defiantly sing songs about the size of their balls, which are bloody big. In the English dub all reference to balls is changed to ‘pouch’, which makes no sense.
  • Options
    Watched Apostle tonight, I think it may be on Netflix. Weird pagan-esq/religious, horror type film. It's not a jump fest, although it's spectacularly gruesome in parts. Had a decent story line too.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    If anyone missed the French film, The Untouchables, it's on BBC iPlayer now. Do watch.
    Not necessarily the best film I've ever seen, but definitely one of the most enjoyable. I loved it, and recommend it highly.
  • Options
    I finally saw Lego Movie 2 at the weekend 

9.5/10 

These films are very sharp, cynical enough without being pious and crucially very funny. The first film did a bit of 3rd or 4th wall breaking and this one did a lot more and did it well. The songs were good and Chris Pratt and Elizabeth Banks do a solid job again. 

Batman steals the show a little bit and the easy to get in-jokes were clever and made me laugh out loud. 

The end credits are worth watching for a very funny song alone and some pretty cool graphics. 

I cannot recommend this film highly enough, sequels are tough especially when the bar has been set so high but this film worked and would work for everyone in the family. It's not a kids film strictly as the humour is certainly more adult themed but I'm sure kids would love it too
  • Options
    Saw the Maradona film tonight. Brilliant documentary, some amazing footage and overall very poignant. Love him or hate him, his skill was astonishing and the Napoli story is beyond fiction.

9/10.
  • Options
    Saw the Maradona film tonight. Brilliant documentary, some amazing footage and overall very poignant. Love him or hate him, his skill was astonishing and the Napoli story is beyond fiction.

9/10.
    Good to hear. I'm hoping to see this later this week. The director certainly has good form with 'Senna' and 'Amy'
  • Options
    Watched Green Book again at the weekend and think I enjoyed it more than the first time round. I rarely re-watch a film and did not think this would be my cup of tea, but so impressed with it.
  • Options
    Hotel Mumbai, a very very intense film about the terrorist attack on the Taj Hotel in 2008. Probably the best film I've watched this year so far. Highly recommended. 9/10

Trailer:
    https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi2536487449
  • Options
    Booksmart I found hilarious and touching in places. Well directed, and some excellent performances. 8/10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nadou said:
    Nadou said:
    Nadou said:
    Just watched the new Deadwood movie on Sky . Absolutely loved it but I wouldn’t recommend it if you didn’t see the series.
    Totally loved the series. Had to stop watching the new film after twenty minutes because I couldn't understand the dialogue and there was no subtitle option.
    If you loved the series why didn’t you understand the dialogue?  It’s exactly the same as it was in the TV show .
    There were subtitles on the series box set.
    Ok . I never had any problems with the old style English dialogue but I can see how it might be a problem to some people .
    I increasingly find it difficult to hear dialogue in modern movies. That's partly why I go less and less frequently to the cinema because I can't put on subtitles - love foreign movies! I have no trouble hearing dialogue in movies from before the 70s so it's the articulation of the actors not my hearing. I know I'm not alone in this.

I'm the same. I have to watch pretty much every programme with subtitles. I'm ok with some UK ones but anything else, I miss half of what's being said.

The problem with some of the shows we download from Sky/catch up rather than record live is that they don't always have subtitles.

Was it Michael Caine who was running a campaign to improve audio/dialogue quality? His theory is that directors and editors don’t get it, because they hear the dialogue over  and over again, during the edit. They don’t appreciate how hard it is to decipher mumbled dialogue in the average cinema, or on an ordinary tv, when you haven’t heard it before, like they have?
  • Options
    Last Breath

The wife recorded this the other night, I did not fancy it but gave it a go (the film that is not the wife) and have to say I was taken in by the story from the first minute to the last.

A true story about a diver who is stranded on bottom of the North Sea with only five minutes of oxygen and no chance of rescue for at least thirty minutes. The original participants deliver emotional first-hand accounts of an incident which changed their lives.

Very powerful and the fact some of the actual people the film is based on appear in it gives it an extra edge. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Nadou said:
    Nadou said:
    Nadou said:
    Just watched the new Deadwood movie on Sky . Absolutely loved it but I wouldn’t recommend it if you didn’t see the series.
    Totally loved the series. Had to stop watching the new film after twenty minutes because I couldn't understand the dialogue and there was no subtitle option.
    If you loved the series why didn’t you understand the dialogue?  It’s exactly the same as it was in the TV show .
    There were subtitles on the series box set.
    Ok . I never had any problems with the old style English dialogue but I can see how it might be a problem to some people .
    I increasingly find it difficult to hear dialogue in modern movies. That's partly why I go less and less frequently to the cinema because I can't put on subtitles - love foreign movies! I have no trouble hearing dialogue in movies from before the 70s so it's the articulation of the actors not my hearing. I know I'm not alone in this.

I'm the same. I have to watch pretty much every programme with subtitles. I'm ok with some UK ones but anything else, I miss half of what's being said.

The problem with some of the shows we download from Sky/catch up rather than record live is that they don't always have subtitles.

Was it Michael Caine who was running a campaign to improve audio/dialogue quality? His theory is that directors and editors don’t get it, because they hear the dialogue over  and over again, during the edit. They don’t appreciate how hard it is to decipher mumbled dialogue in the average cinema, or on an ordinary tv, when you haven’t heard it before, like they have?
    Having spent the last month editing a lot of dialogue for a project, I can agree that tends to happen. I've heard some of this footage 200-300 times and know it off by heart. 

However, sound mixing is a profession (one I am not very good at) and there are a lot of people working on the mix before it goes out. Plus, getting it audience-tested is standard. I am more inclined to think it's the way the files are delivered and the potentially poorly-balanced home cinema systems that can lead to apparent shitty sound quality (I'm not sure I've ever had an issue in a cinema). 

• Options
    Blucher said:

9/10.
    Good to hear. I'm hoping to see this later this week. The director certainly has good form with 'Senna' and 'Amy'
    Really good film. You definitely come out with a different view on him. 
  • Options
    Toy Story 4
    I thought Toy Story 3 finished perfectly, and on an absolute high - no reason for a fourth. But when I saw the ratings on Rotten Tomatoes (100% last week, down to 97% yesterday) I was excited. Unnecessarily, it is an average film. It took over an hour to créate the first laugh, and the audience were horribly muted for most of the film. In fact, I noticed it was the adults who actually made some noise as the finale approached, and more out of relief than amusement. 
    The new characters were nowhere near as funny as reviews made them (bear in mind I saw the Spanish versión, the punch lines may have actually worked in English), the plot as sadly a case of same old, same old. It's beautifully done, but the original humoutr has gone, as has the emotional roller coaster of number 3. I went back to the reviews on Tomatoes to see why they though what seemed a very average offering by Pixar's high standards got such high marks. When you read them, quite a few use the word 'but' a great deal. It's a graet film bt…. Probably the worst of the four but…. There is some good stuff in there, but…
    I did actually enjoy it, but it was a let down, it was the weakest of the four, and Forky had one funny line. I may check it out in English when it comes to cable, but if you go to see it, don't expect much and you may find it fun. Go in expecting something extraordinary and you'll be let down big time.
  • Options
    Toy Story 4
    I thought Toy Story 3 finished perfectly, and on an absolute high - no reason for a fourth. But when I saw the ratings on Rotten Tomatoes (100% last week, down to 97% yesterday) I was excited. Unnecessarily, it is an average film. It took over an hour to créate the first laugh, and the audience were horribly muted for most of the film. In fact, I noticed it was the adults who actually made some noise as the finale approached, and more out of relief than amusement. 
    The new characters were nowhere near as funny as reviews made them (bear in mind I saw the Spanish versión, the punch lines may have actually worked in English), the plot as sadly a case of same old, same old. It's beautifully done, but the original humoutr has gone, as has the emotional roller coaster of number 3. I went back to the reviews on Tomatoes to see why they though what seemed a very average offering by Pixar's high standards got such high marks. When you read them, quite a few use the word 'but' a great deal. It's a graet film bt…. Probably the worst of the four but…. There is some good stuff in there, but…
    I did actually enjoy it, but it was a let down, it was the weakest of the four, and Forky had one funny line. I may check it out in English when it comes to cable, but if you go to see it, don't expect much and you may find it fun. Go in expecting something extraordinary and you'll be let down big time.

Found it laboured and not very funny. Agree with you that its the weakest by far.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Interesting little video about the work that Pixar put in and how they’ve grown over the past 24 years.....

https://youtu.be/qTPKGVrFtQU
    https://youtu.be/qTPKGVrFtQU
  • Options
    Sorry to be late to the party on this one but just saw The Favourite for the first time (DVD pressure for my wife’s birthday). What a load of utter tosh.  Grating soundtrack which consisted of a ticking clock sound for the most part. just goes to show you can get an Oscar for anything these days. Apologies to those of you who may have loved it. 
  • Options
    Sorry to be late to the party on this one but just saw The Favourite for the first time (DVD pressure for my wife’s birthday). What a load of utter tosh.  Grating soundtrack which consisted of a ticking clock sound for the most part. just goes to show you can get an Oscar for anything these days. Apologies to those of you who may have loved it. 
    I liked the first half of the movie and hated the second half.
  • Options
    Just watched Thor Ragnarok. Thoroughly entertaining. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a new film, but I watched Beyond starring Noomi Rapace the other night. A gritty realistic sad film which I admit I shed a few tears to at the end. 

The film wont appeal to everyone, but it really touched a few nerves for me. Very well acted with a standout performance from a young Tehilla Blad. Noomi as always was outstanding. I don’t recommend watching if you’re feeling down though. 8/10
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Not a new film, but I watched Beyond starring Noomi Rapace the other night. A gritty realistic sad film which I admit I shed a few tears to at the end.
    Rapace probably put herself out there more than any actor I can think of.
  • Options
    Men In Black: International

For a long time I've thought that Sony might be the laziest film studio on the planet. And this seals that opinion. Generic, frustratingly predictable (I had the bad guy pegged from simply seeing the frikkin poster!), simplistic - "hey those two actors in Thor Ragnorak had chemistry, let's cast them in a rehash of a movie that worked well 20 years ago". It doesn't help that Hemsworth uses the same comedic delivery ALL THE BLOODY TIME. 

The script is woeful, particularly the mess of an opening act. It picks up a bit in the middle when there's mystery - that doesn't pay off at all well - before resorting to a forgettable final reel. When I tried to figure out where the plot is going, I gave them wayyyy too much credit. It's simpler than you think. It's not awful. It's not Suicide Squad - it's just such a nothing film. 

2/5

• Options
    Toy Story 4

Not a huge amount to say - it's a good one. I enjoyed it. I laughed several times, I appreciated the story. It's more of the same. Sometimes that's a nice feeling, I just look forward to Pixar pushing themselves on original ideas in the future. 

4/5
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Men In Black: International

For a long time I've thought that Sony might be the laziest film studio on the planet. And this seals that opinion. Generic, frustratingly predictable (I had the bad guy pegged from simply seeing the frikkin poster!), simplistic - "hey those two actors in Thor Ragnorak had chemistry, let's cast them in a rehash of a movie that worked well 20 years ago". It doesn't help that Hemsworth uses the same comedic delivery ALL THE BLOODY TIME. 

The script is woeful, particularly the mess of an opening act. It picks up a bit in the middle when there's mystery - that doesn't pay off at all well - before resorting to a forgettable final reel. When I tried to figure out where the plot is going, I gave them wayyyy too much credit. It's simpler than you think. It's not awful. It's not Suicide Squad - it's just such a nothing film. 

2/5

Yeah got this feeling from the trailers, especially what you say about them working together in Ragnarok
  • Options
    Not a new film but i watched Cabin in the Woods on Netlix last night. My god, what utter shite. I can only think that the 91% on rotten tomatoes is just my lack of understanding of the American 'comedy' involved. Terrible.
  • Options
    It’s fascinating to see a reaction to Cabin like that. For me it’s a 4 or 5-star movie. Does an amazing job of playing with the conventions of slasher horror, much like Scream did. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Toy Story 4

Not a huge amount to say - it's a good one. I enjoyed it. I laughed several times, I appreciated the story. It's more of the same. Sometimes that's a nice feeling, I just look forward to Pixar pushing themselves on original ideas in the future. 

4/5
    Seems like Pixar are nudging Soul (out June 2020) as that movie. Same director as Inside Out.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    It’s fascinating to see a reaction to Cabin like that. For me it’s a 4 or 5-star movie. Does an amazing job of playing with the conventions of slasher horror, much like Scream did. 
    I got Scream. I thought it was great and completely understood its angle. I honestly thought Cabin in the Woods was no better than one of those shocking Epic Movie/Disaster movie films.