Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Beats. Rave scene, set in 1994, Scotland (Glasgow I think). Black and white, mostly. Tries to tell the story of how two young men friends are moving to different sides of the social tracks. This is in the midst of rave culture and the implementation of the criminal justice act. Good effort I thought but did have a low budget throughout. One for the sociologists! 
  • Options
    Maldita. Decided to watch a fillipino film whilst I was in Davao recently. Thoroughly enjoyed it and was stupidly taken by surprise how good the production was. The film was similiar to the Exorcist and had a few heart starting moments. Glad I opted for this and not The Avengers 7/10
  • Options
    First trip to cinema for yonks at the O2 last night while family were watching Michael Buble. Cinema boiling hot. Almost unbearable. Audience annoying without doing anything particularly wrong. Think I’m just past the point where I am prepared to tolerate it. Saw the latest Godzilla. Utter rubbish. Two hour CGI and noise fest with no plot and terrible acting. Bah humbug. 

Apparently Buble was excellent. 
  • Options
    Godzilla was so stupid. 

Not the monsters - they were done pretty well and look amazing. It’s the humans. It’s always the humans. 

The challenge with giant monster movies is giving the humans something meaningful to do. The last Godzilla is a great example - the humans run around doing stuff but achieve nothing, and pretty much just make the situation worse. 

This time they’ve tried to have the humans affect the monsters, and while the idea was decent on paper, the mother/ daughter in the movie don’t make a lick of sense, and the Charles Dance character is so pointless it’s laughable. 

Meanwhile the hero is such a know-it-all he starts to grate. 

Not the worst movie I’ve seen this year, but possibly the most forgettable. Which is quite an achievement for a movie with 300-foot high, three-headed monsters. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Godzilla was so stupid. 

Not the monsters - they were done pretty well and look amazing. It’s the humans. It’s always the humans. 

The challenge with giant monster movies is giving the humans something meaningful to do. The last Godzilla is a great example - the humans run around doing stuff but achieve nothing, and pretty much just make the situation worse. 

This time they’ve tried to have the humans affect the monsters, and while the idea was decent on paper, the mother/ daughter in the movie don’t make a lick of sense, and the Charles Dance character is so pointless it’s laughable. 

Not the worst movie I’ve seen this year, but possibly the most forgettable. Which is quite an achievement for a movie with 300-foot high, three-headed monsters. 

Have you seen Shin-Godzilla, the last Godzilla film to be made in Japan? I saw it on a flight, and then watched it again on the way back. It's basically a monster movie that is primarily about the insane workings of the Japanese parliament where bureaucracy and foreign interventionism are the real monsters. Thought it was interesting, and still pretty great as a monster movie.
  • Options
    I had high hopes for Godzilla: King of the Monsters, but I'm hearing a fair amount of word of mouth similar to Jimmy85.  It's a shame Legendary have taken the typical thick-eared Hollywood blockbuster monster mashup approach.  Shin Godzilla showed that you could do so much more with Godzilla than make a simple monster movie.  A lot of western critics thought it dull and talky without really considering the cultural background to it.  There's a lot going on in that movie besides kaiju.  It's more a satire and criticism of modern Japan that had been deeply scarred by the Great East Japan earthquake, tsunami and Fukushima nuclear disaster.  I've seen most of the Godzilla movies and Shin Godzilla is probably my favourite.
  • Options
    Is Godzukey in any of these? Asking for a friend...
  • Options
    Elton John's take on his own life/career works as a celebration of his music. The main man is played by Eddie the Eagle Taron Egerton who makes a good fist of the singing, although he looks a little er slimline in the later scenes. Unlike the Queen movie, this film takes the Mamma Mia approach with some stand out musical/dance numbers, although it's a bit strange having characters singing lyrics emoting on Elton's earlier experiences as a child when the lyrics belong to Bernie Taupin. There is a strong hint of self pity running through the story - all that booze and drugs and sex - because he never got hugged as a child. But those songs, and the way they came about through  brilliant collaboration, stand the test of time. 
  • Options
    Elton John's take on his own life/career works as a celebration of his music. The main man is played by Eddie the Eagle Taron Egerton who makes a good fist of the singing, although he looks a little er slimline in the later scenes. Unlike the Queen movie, this film takes the Mamma Mia approach with some stand out musical/dance numbers, although it's a bit strange having characters singing lyrics emoting on Elton's earlier experiences as a child when the lyrics belong to Bernie Taupin. There is a strong hint of self pity running through the story - all that booze and drugs and sex - because he never got hugged as a child. But those songs, and the way they came about through  brilliant collaboration, stand the test of time. 
    Enjoyed watching it - Taron Egerton was excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    My 11-year-old daughter is a big fan of Studio Ghibli (a legendary anime studio) so we've been working our way through those films, always in Japanese with subs. We even went to see Princess Mononoke at the Prince Charles Cinema a few weeks ago, despite having it on Blu-Ray, but we wanted to see it on the big screen. Had to cue up to get in; the cinema was absolutely rammed, at 12.30 in the afternoon. We watched Pom Poko last week. Simply put, shape-shifting racoons kill people who are working on a land development that puts their habitat in jeopardy, then march off triumphantly singing songs about how big their testicles are.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    My 11-year-old daughter is a big fan of Studio Ghibli (a legendary anime studio) so we've been working our way through those films, always in Japanese with subs. We even went to see Princess Mononoke at the Prince Charles Cinema a few weeks ago, despite having it on Blu-Ray, but we wanted to see it on the big screen. Had to cue up to get in; the cinema was absolutely rammed, at 12.30 in the afternoon. We watched Pom Poko last week. Simply put, shape-shifting racoons kill people who are working on a land development that puts their habitat in jeopardy, then march off triumphantly singing songs about how big their testicles are.
    Pom Poko is the nuts!
  • Options
    By no means a 'new film', there's a Kubrik classic on BBC4 tonight at 9.00, Barry Lyndon .. well worth recording
    There is no Kubrick film I like by greater leaps and bounds with each new view that Barry Lyndon.

The Kubrick exhibition at the Design Museum, the old Common wealth Institute building in Kensington, is worth a couple of hours of your time. Sorry if that's been dealt with earlier.
  • Options
    Happily, it stops as he comes out of rehab and so we don't have to deal with all the Lady Di nonsense. It ends up as a story of collaboration, much like, say, The Damned United became a film about Clough and Taylor. 
  • Options

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.  It takes a very light and fantastical journey through Elton's life and never gets to any real dark places.  Perhaps Elton John being executive producer means not all the dirty laundry is aired in public.  

Taron Egerton was excellent.  He sings all the songs so well, in the spirit of Elton John but without being a slavish copy.
  • Options
    Happily, it stops as he comes out of rehab and so we don't have to deal with all the Lady Di nonsense. It ends up as a story of collaboration, much like, say, The Damned United became a film about Clough and Taylor. 
    I was glad it ended when it did for the reasons you mention.
  • Options
    Just watched the new Deadwood movie on Sky . Absolutely loved it but I wouldn’t recommend it if you didn’t see the series.
  • Options
    Just watched the new Deadwood movie on Sky . Absolutely loved it but I wouldn’t recommend it if you didn’t see the series.
    Totally loved the series. Had to stop watching the new film after twenty minutes because I couldn't understand the dialogue and there was no subtitle option.
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    Totally loved the series. Had to stop watching the new film after twenty minutes because I couldn't understand the dialogue and there was no subtitle option.
    If you loved the series why didn’t you understand the dialogue?  It’s exactly the same as it was in the TV show .
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Nadou said:
    If you loved the series why didn’t you understand the dialogue?  It’s exactly the same as it was in the TV show .
    There were subtitles on the series box set.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nadou said:
    Nadou said:
    Ok . I never had any problems with the old style English dialogue but I can see how it might be a problem to some people .
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    Nadou said:
    Ok . I never had any problems with the old style English dialogue but I can see how it might be a problem to some people .
    I increasingly find it difficult to hear dialogue in modern movies. That's partly why I go less and less frequently to the cinema because I can't put on subtitles - love foreign movies! I have no trouble hearing dialogue in movies from before the 70s so it's the articulation of the actors not my hearing. I know I'm not alone in this.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Godzilla was so stupid. 

Have you seen Shin-Godzilla, the last Godzilla film to be made in Japan? I saw it on a flight, and then watched it again on the way back. It's basically a monster movie that is primarily about the insane workings of the Japanese parliament where bureaucracy and foreign interventionism are the real monsters. Thought it was interesting, and still pretty great as a monster movie.
    Agreed. 
  • Options
    Not new but saw it at a film festival. The Karman Line with Olivia Coleman. Brilliant. It’s on Amazon for £1.99. If you want to watch it, don’t read or watch anything to do with it. You can’t risk any spoilers. 
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    That sounds like my kind of film. 
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    I increasingly find it difficult to hear dialogue in modern movies. That's partly why I go less and less frequently to the cinema because I can't put on subtitles - love foreign movies! I have no trouble hearing dialogue in movies from before the 70s so it's the articulation of the actors not my hearing. I know I'm not alone in this.
    Films are mixed on the most amazing equipment with state of the art speakers in a purpose-built room containing just a few people listening in the optimum position. They are then shown at cinemas with poor sound equipment and audiences sitting in the wrong places. More cinemas are making the effort and it's worth spending as long decising where to see a film as what film to see. The Olympic in Barnes is lovely but appreciate that it is not on most people's doorstep.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Love these films. 
  • Options
    Rocketman. Never been much of an Elton John fan. But I blubbed. The childhood stuff got me. I’m getting soft. 
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    That sounds like my kind of film. 
    My daughter watched most of those films, can't recommend enough, especially Spitited away, Castle in the Sky, Howls Moving house and Ponyo.  They really tell a story and the animation is very imaginative but also focuses on human emotion.  Brilliant
  • Options
    I’m not into horror films but I’ve just watched a film called The Real Cases of Shadow People . It’s really creepy . It plays like a found footage film and the finale is terrifying. 

8 out of 10 

https://twitter.com/moviepolls4u/status/1130954960181633026?s=21
    Honestly, one of the worst films I've ever seen. Genuinely surprised you found the ending scary. The Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity are in the same vein, small budget films. However both have far better scripts, production and are scary.