Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    By no means a 'new film', there's a Kubrik classic on BBC4 tonight at 9.00, Barry Lyndon .. well worth recording
    There is no Kubrick film I like by greater leaps and bounds with each new view that Barry Lyndon.

• Options
    Eighth Grade is very good, if you have a chance to see it.
  • Options
    Just seen the trailer for The Keeper,  based on the story of Bert Trautmann. Looks quite good.
  • Options
    Went to see Wild Rose on Thursday and thought it was great.
  • Options
    Styx...excellent...not one word of wasted dialogue.
  • Options
    Eighth Grade is very good, if you have a chance to see it.
    Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. A universal tale of the awkwardness of being a teenager in the modern world and a great performance from the lead Elsie Fisher. Very funny in places.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Avengers- End Game (will post before reading other comments) 9/10
    Fantastic film, only slight annoyance is they tried a bit too many jokes, which also got annoying with silly little ones which were barely funny but people near were just OTT laughing for the sake of it (it felt like). 

I really enjoyed it, i probably haven't seen all of the ones linked in but most of them. I thought the whole thing was perfect other than OTT on the jokes/silly bits. I would recommend although you would need to see quite a few of the linked movies to get it fully. The final fight was really good and i did come out of it thinking WOW fantastic movie, i will rewatch again probably when out on TV, but first thoughts it didn't disappoint and up there with the best of the series. Personally preferred to Infinity

Edit- not quite sure why people were annoyed by the long haired one, probably again a bit over the top but he didn't really annoy me lol
  • Options
  • Options
    Moment I saw the scene I just knew that this type of article would be rolled out!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Edit- not quite sure why people were annoyed by the long haired one, probably again a bit over the top but he didn't really annoy me lol
    Personally, I wouldn't say I was annoyed by him. He served a perfectly decent comic relief purpose. I think I was just disappointed we didn't see more of what we saw in IW. The scene with Rocket when he's talking about what he's lost was (relatively) powerful. How serious he was when he nailed Thanos at the end too was something I liked. Seemed a shame to lose that in order to have the fat joke thing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SPOILERS

The PTSD parts played by the likes of Iron Man and Thor were some of the best bits about the early stages of EndGame for me

The Stark / Rogers argument in the early stages where it was just rage from the former was a really good bit of writing, you knew that he had no cause for his words (as we saw in IW) but what he'd been through had tipped him over the edge so sympathised with him

Same with Thor when we first see him in the Village; for me the fat joke hadn't quite started by that point as was another excellent example of how downhill a person can go in that sort of situation - Had they then gotten Thor back into some sort of better shape (after Asgard and the salad comment at the very least) then it would have been perfectly done
  • Options
    "Becoming the Avengers" on BBC Red Button at the moment.  Interviews with the cast of Avengers and Guardians.  Excellent fan boy/girl stuff.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Missed It said:
    Carter said:
    Just back in from watching Avengers 

Before I start on the film I've got to get something off my chest

If anyone listens to Kermode & Mayos film show on 5live you will know about non code compliant people and the audience had a few of them tonight. I've never appreciated cinemas selling shitty, noisy food in the most noisy packaging possible and I was subjected to 2 kids behind us talking the entire way through and when not talking, chewing what sounded like wrapping paper and pork scratchings. I don't blame the kids, they were young boys, I squarely blame the shitc$₩nt lazy parents with them. Added to this 2 people in the rows in front regularly dicking about with their phones which is a new one on me and intensely distracting. Cinemas need to do more to make this sort of behaviour totally unacceptable in a movie theatre. It really ruined the whole experience and as the tickets cost over 30 quid for a 3 hour film I was dismayed that these selfish cocksuckers couldn't switch their phones off for 3 hours and were inconsiderate enough to piss about with them in a cinema 

Anyway, the film 

Some amazing visuals and effects but the fights reminded me of a Michael bay transformers film with too much going on to keep track of, the cast is enormous and it was getting a bit daft trying to keep up with the different character arcs. A lot of people, my wife included found the ending very sad. 

I thought the film before was really good but wasn't really impressed with this one if I'm completely honest and I'm honest enough with myself to admit that may be because of the rimmers sat near me. 

6/10 
    Re the kids with 'phones, why didn't you tell them to turn them off?

Re the kids talking, why didn't you tell them to shut up?

I've had people kicked out of the cinema for these 'crimes'.  I don't put up with it and no one else should either.
    You obviously have the stomach for it. I think most cinemas now and a sizable part of the audience think its okay to talk throughout a film and spend half the time on your phone. I avoid the cinema at certain times as the film will invariably be ruined by those with a short attention span. 

I like the Curzon cinema that's not too far from my office.  I go see films in their second week there and the place is usually empty and almost never any kids. Not quite the place to myself but good enough for me.

The last two times I've been I've booked a seat all by my lonesome only for some numbnuts to come in during the trailers and sit down right next to me in the almost empty cinema.  I had to spend two hours restraining the urge to shout "What the fCK is the matter with you?  Fck off and leave me alone!!"  But instead I just sit there, silently resenting their entire existence.  

I like the cinema but I don't like the people in it much.    
    I have every sympathy with you. My tactic now is to ask them politely, once, to keep it down. If that doesn't work I move so I'm sitting right behind them and just lean forward and say quietly 'if you don't shut up, I'm going to fucking hurt you'
    Give it a go.
    And what do you say if they're older than six?
  • Options
    So now that Endgame is out, are we finally retiring most of the characters for a few years? I am about as bored with these actors as I was Harrison Ford playing Han Solo. Would love to see these characters disappear and the characters rebooted in 5 years. Otherwise the Marvel franchise might become the next X-Men.
  • Options
    So now that Endgame is out, are we finally retiring most of the characters for a few years? I am about as bored with these actors as I was Harrison Ford playing Han Solo. Would love to see these characters disappear and the characters rebooted in 5 years. Otherwise the Marvel franchise might become the next X-Men.
    I hope they don't do reboots of them. So many films these days are reboots and rarely improve on what went before.
  • Options
    There's talk of a Black Widow solo film with Johansson but a lot of the major characters' actors are now out of contract so, as the characters are too valuable for the money men to leave alone, I suspect they will be rebooted.
  • Options
    Part of Disney’s attraction to buying Fox was getting so many Marvel characters back. 

Its hard to imagine now, but the likes of Thor, the Guardians and Iron Man weren’t the big hitters before the MCU started. Not compared to Wolverine and co. 

So so it’s worked out quite nicely. They’ve made billions out of the second or third tier characters, and now they have the X-Men back. I’d imagine Dark Phoenix will be the last of the X movies as we know them, and a full reboot will take place over the next MCU arc, post-infinity stones. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Part of Disney’s attraction to buying Fox was getting so many Marvel characters back. 

Its hard to imagine now, but the likes of Thor, the Guardians and Iron Man weren’t the big hitters before the MCU started. Not compared to Wolverine and co. 

So so it’s worked out quite nicely. They’ve made billions out of the second or third tier characters, and now they have the X-Men back. I’d imagine Dark Phoenix will be the last of the X movies as we know them, and a full reboot will take place over the next MCU arc, post-infinity stones. 
    Good point.  Hopefully we get a decent X-Men movie.  Apart from Logan and, to a lesser extent Days of Future Past, they've been pants since X-Men 2.
  • Options
    Think the most interesting aspect of the X-Men joining the MCU is what they do about recasting Wolverine

Hugh Jackman has made that role his own and will be a very difficult actor to replace

As for Fantastic Four they're another group who'll hopefully do better under Marvel Studios; whilst their first film with Jessica Alba was good, the two since havent been well done and with characters like Doctor Doom and the Silver Surfer they've themselves got so much potential that havent been realised by Hollywood so far
  • Options
    Endgame has been out 6 days and already is the 5th highest grossing movie globally of all time. $1.8 billion. Already 2/3 of the way to Avatar’s record.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    All the super hero film talk is like reading Latin to me. Believe me I wish I did like them and knew all the back stories. Ive tried loads of times having kids at perfect ages for all of them but brain switches off after 30mins.

I do however like any of the most recent Batman films and really looking forward to The Joker

• Options
    Bumblebee 

That was 2 hours of me absolutely glued to the TV. I don't want to start with a criticism and I won't (of this film) but this film was so good it made me angry Michael Bay made such a pig's dick of the other films and the opportunities he has wasted to get this theme of film right.

This film has a quality soundtrack of 80's classics, the right amount of nostalgia, sentiment and humour and action scenes where you can actually see what's going on. This was great fun, it isn't going to be troubling any critics but for 2 hours of great visuals, audio and enjoyment I can't think of a better film. 

Hailee Steinfeld was a fantastic lead and to be honest all the human actors in the film worked perfectly. 

This film gets a 9/10 and only not a full 10 because I was annoyed at the previous films 
  • Options
    I’ve not put many reviews up over the last year because I started a Twitter account about movies which has become quite popular. @MoviePolls4U if you want to check it out .
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I’m not into horror films but I’ve just watched a film called The Real Cases of Shadow People . It’s really creepy . It plays like a found footage film and the finale is terrifying. 

8 out of 10 

https://twitter.com/moviepolls4u/status/1130954960181633026?s=21
  • Options
    I’m not into horror films but I’ve just watched a film called The Real Cases of Shadow People . It’s really creepy . It plays like a found footage film and the finale is terrifying. 

8 out of 10 

Not in to Horror either but the missus loves it. Where can i find this Beds?
  • Options

8 out of 10 

It’s on Amazon Prime 
  • Options

8 out of 10 

It’s on Amazon Prime 
    Do I need to watch this in the middle of the day with the curtains open? That kind of scary? 

Generally horror doesn't interest me either but I thought Blair Witch was brilliant unlike all the tripe that followed 
  • Options
    Carter said:

8 out of 10 

It’s on Amazon Prime 
    Do I need to watch this in the middle of the day with the curtains open? That kind of scary? 

Generally horror doesn't interest me either but I thought Blair Witch was brilliant unlike all the tripe that followed 
    For full affect definitely watch it in the dark .
  • Options
    Carter said:

8 out of 10 

It’s on Amazon Prime 

For full affect definitely watch it in the dark .
    Brilliant, I'll persuade my fpo to watch with me tonight. 

You and Jimmy are a good gauge as to whether I will go for a film or not especially one like this under the radar
  • Options

8 out of 10 

This was a prank right? Total bobbins