Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Went to Screen25 in S Norwood to see Border. It’s by the same guy who did Let The Right One In and is also a love story about someone on the fringes of humanity. It’s quite hard work, but in a good way, with moments of sweetness.

The venue is soulless and I can’t recommend it

That describes the whole of S Norwood.
  • Options
    Avengers Endgame. Cheese. Cheese and even more Cheese. 

I struggled to love this movie, it was likeable but something was missing.

6/10

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

6/10

Yeah just seen it myself and despite loving these films in the MCU was left ever so slightly disappointed

Breaking it down into hour segements I thought the first part was really good apart from one character with crazy hair who let themselves go a bit

Second segment was just joke after joke and at one stage let out a sigh of exasperation because I was just tired of them... Yeah Disney like to add humourous moments to these films but huge overkill!!

The final hour was the best part of the movie; great scenes and really lovely ending that had me struggling for composure, was certainly glad it was dark so no one could see me close to blubbering!!

Infinity War was much better
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

6/10

Infinity War finished me off.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

6/10

Yeah just seen it myself and despite loving these films in the MCU was left ever so slightly disappointed

Breaking it down into hour segements I thought the first part was really good apart from one character with crazy hair who let themselves go a bit

Second segment was just joke after joke and at one stage let out a sigh of exasperation because I was just tired of them... Yeah Disney like to add humourous moments to these films but huge overkill!!

The final hour was the best part of the movie; great scenes and really lovely ending that had me struggling for composure, was certainly glad it was dark so no one could see me close to blubbering!!

Infinity War was much better
    I agree with all that, I think the movie only worked for me because the final hour was a great payoff after Infinity War. The stuff about the middle segment is spot on too, you could feel everyone just getting bored of the jokes and waiting for some sort of progression.

I still rate it highly, but a rewatch of End game on its own would probably change it from a 9/10 to a 7 or 8/10
  • Options
    I'm put off going to see it given its three hours long and will probably demand an encylopaedic knowledge of the characters to make sense of it. I struggled with Infinity War.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Watched Avengers, thought it was all right, will probably go and watch it a few times to see,if I missed anything / get a different perspective.

I’ve loved the whole series, so really didn’t care what happened as such in this one, as opposed to trying to be clever and pick holes in plot lines etc.

I couldn’t believe people were sobbing uncontrollably during the film, it’s not real life,  people!

although I got a selfie in the foyer with a guy dressed in a Spider-Man costume, so I’m a bit of a hypocrite I guess, but I used to love reading Spider-Man comics when I was about 5.

Certainly a ‘big screen movie’  but will probably also preorder it for when it comes out on 4K to watch at home.

• Options
    I also really hope the next star wars film is at least as good as the force awakens which I thought was brilliant and not the awful last jedi 

Daisy Ridley is a great lead for that film

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Carter said:
    Just back in from watching Avengers 

Before I start on the film I've got to get something off my chest

If anyone listens to Kermode & Mayos film show on 5live you will know about non code compliant people and the audience had a few of them tonight. I've never appreciated cinemas selling shitty, noisy food in the most noisy packaging possible and I was subjected to 2 kids behind us talking the entire way through and when not talking, chewing what sounded like wrapping paper and pork scratchings. I don't blame the kids, they were young boys, I squarely blame the shitc$₩nt lazy parents with them. Added to this 2 people in the rows in front regularly dicking about with their phones which is a new one on me and intensely distracting. Cinemas need to do more to make this sort of behaviour totally unacceptable in a movie theatre. It really ruined the whole experience and as the tickets cost over 30 quid for a 3 hour film I was dismayed that these selfish cocksuckers couldn't switch their phones off for 3 hours and were inconsiderate enough to piss about with them in a cinema 

Anyway, the film 

Some amazing visuals and effects but the fights reminded me of a Michael bay transformers film with too much going on to keep track of, the cast is enormous and it was getting a bit daft trying to keep up with the different character arcs. A lot of people, my wife included found the ending very sad. 

I thought the film before was really good but wasn't really impressed with this one if I'm completely honest and I'm honest enough with myself to admit that may be because of the rimmers sat near me. 

6/10 
    Re the kids with 'phones, why didn't you tell them to turn them off?

Re the kids talking, why didn't you tell them to shut up?

I've had people kicked out of the cinema for these 'crimes'.  I don't put up with it and no one else should either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

If anyone listens to Kermode & Mayos film show on 5live you will know about non code compliant people and the audience had a few of them tonight. I've never appreciated cinemas selling shitty, noisy food in the most noisy packaging possible and I was subjected to 2 kids behind us talking the entire way through and when not talking, chewing what sounded like wrapping paper and pork scratchings. I don't blame the kids, they were young boys, I squarely blame the shitc$₩nt lazy parents with them. Added to this 2 people in the rows in front regularly dicking about with their phones which is a new one on me and intensely distracting. Cinemas need to do more to make this sort of behaviour totally unacceptable in a movie theatre. It really ruined the whole experience and as the tickets cost over 30 quid for a 3 hour film I was dismayed that these selfish cocksuckers couldn't switch their phones off for 3 hours and were inconsiderate enough to piss about with them in a cinema 

Anyway, the film 

Some amazing visuals and effects but the fights reminded me of a Michael bay transformers film with too much going on to keep track of, the cast is enormous and it was getting a bit daft trying to keep up with the different character arcs. A lot of people, my wife included found the ending very sad. 

I thought the film before was really good but wasn't really impressed with this one if I'm completely honest and I'm honest enough with myself to admit that may be because of the rimmers sat near me. 

6/10 

I've had people kicked out of the cinema for these 'crimes'.  I don't put up with it and no one else should either.
    You obviously have the stomach for it. I think most cinemas now and a sizable part of the audience think its okay to talk throughout a film and spend half the time on your phone. I avoid the cinema at certain times as the film will invariably be ruined by those with a short attention span. 

• Options
    Carter said:

Anyway, the film 

6/10 

You obviously have the stomach for it. I think most cinemas now and a sizable part of the audience think its okay to talk throughout a film and spend half the time on your phone. I avoid the cinema at certain times as the film will invariably be ruined by those with a short attention span. 

I've been really spoilt over the years with press screenings, where people don't mess about (and there's no food/ trailers/ adverts). Since doing less of that I've had to get an Odeon card and try to hold back on seeing movies until they're 2-3 weeks old cos the general public are utter cretins. I did a couple of opening nights and Jesus H Christ, I have no idea how people put up with it. The cacophony of packets being opened and munched on, the talking, the phones...  

I sat through the abysmal Aquaman film with a woman nearby playing with her phone. I told her to put it away, she said I should have stayed at home if I didn't want to deal with it. It's one thing to be oblivious, it's another to be her. Fortunately, telling her what I thought about her personality in colourful language, menacingly enough to keep her husband quiet, seemed to do the trick. 
  • Options
    Not a latest film but watched Kong Skull Island. Started off OK but lost its way and turned into an excuse to showcase a few monsters fighting each other.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Anyone else doing Avengers tonight? 
    I hear it is 3 hours and 8 minutes long. Wow!
    There’re about twenty-five characters, each needing their five minutes, so that’s around two hours used up without any plot development.

That said, I’m looking forward to it.

Won't be the same without David Janssen.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Carter said:

Anyway, the film 

6/10 

I've been really spoilt over the years with press screenings, where people don't mess about (and there's no food/ trailers/ adverts). Since doing less of that I've had to get an Odeon card and try to hold back on seeing movies until they're 2-3 weeks old cos the general public are utter cretins. I did a couple of opening nights and Jesus H Christ, I have no idea how people put up with it. The cacophony of packets being opened and munched on, the talking, the phones...  

I sat through the abysmal Aquaman film with a woman nearby playing with her phone. I told her to put it away, she said I should have stayed at home if I didn't want to deal with it. It's one thing to be oblivious, it's another to be her. Fortunately, telling her what I thought about her personality in colourful language, menacingly enough to keep her husband quiet, seemed to do the trick. 
    It’s the reason I don’t bother going to the cinema anymore. The last film I saw at the cinema was Solo which was a freebie and people were recording it on their phones ffs. 
  • Options
    By no means a 'new film', there's a Kubrik classic on BBC4 tonight at 9.00, Barry Lyndon .. well worth recording
  • Options
    'The Dirt'

Thought it was good. Ozzy Osbourne is an animal!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Missed It said:
    Carter said:

Anyway, the film 

6/10 

I like the Curzon cinema that's not too far from my office.  I go see films in their second week there and the place is usually empty and almost never any kids. Not quite the place to myself but good enough for me.

The last two times I've been I've booked a seat all by my lonesome only for some numbnuts to come in during the trailers and sit down right next to me in the almost empty cinema.  I had to spend two hours restraining the urge to shout "What the fCK is the matter with you?  Fck off and leave me alone!!"  But instead I just sit there, silently resenting their entire existence.  

I like the cinema but I don't like the people in it much.    
    I have every sympathy with you. My tactic now is to ask them politely, once, to keep it down. If that doesn't work I move so I'm sitting right behind them and just lean forward and say quietly 'if you don't shut up, I'm going to fucking hurt you'
    Give it a go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Missed It said:
    Carter said:

Anyway, the film 

6/10 

I like the Curzon cinema that's not too far from my office.  I go see films in their second week there and the place is usually empty and almost never any kids. Not quite the place to myself but good enough for me.

The last two times I've been I've booked a seat all by my lonesome only for some numbnuts to come in during the trailers and sit down right next to me in the almost empty cinema.  I had to spend two hours restraining the urge to shout "What the fCK is the matter with you?  Fck off and leave me alone!!"  But instead I just sit there, silently resenting their entire existence.  

I have every sympathy with you. My tactic now is to ask them politely, once, to keep it down. If that doesn't work I move so I'm sitting right behind them and just lean forward and say quietly 'if you don't shut up, I'm going to fucking hurt you'
    Give it a go.
    Trouble is, they weren't being noisy.  They just plonked themselves down in my personal space, which at the cinema is two seats either side wide!  Unfortunately, I'm somewhat unreasonably anti-social and wish most of the human race would die in a series of horrendous selfie photo taking accidents.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    IdleHans said:
    Missed It said:
    Carter said:

Anyway, the film 

6/10 

Give it a go.
    Trouble is, they weren't being noisy.  They just plonked themselves down in my personal space, which at the cinema is two seats either side wide!  Unfortunately, I'm somewhat unreasonably anti-social and wish most of the human race would die in a series of horrendous selfie photo taking accidents.
    Glad it’s not just me :-/
  • Options
    Casually rest your hand on the nearest person's knee. That'll shift them.
  • Options
    It’s one of the reasons that I rarely go to the cinema. Best screenings are the silver haired screenings at odd afternoon times that are generally cheaper and not filled with annoying little shits. The audience don’t want popcorn getting stuck under their plate and have respect enough to keep quiet.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Dazzler21 said:

Half of the universe?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    By no means a 'new film', there's a Kubrik classic on BBC4 tonight at 9.00, Barry Lyndon .. well worth recording
    Funnily enough I was watching the making of this on YouTube and the lighting techniques involved to make it were incredible. Shooting scenes in actual historic places inbetween gaps while tourists were going from room to room and also taking care not to melt any of the paintings because of the heat being generated by the additional lighting.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

6/10

Biscuits?
  • Options
    Love immersing myself in a good film. Generally I have to watch alone as I get easily distracted by the inevitable noise from the audience. I either see films at the cinema when it's full or empty. A full screening will generally keep the audience in check. 
  • Options
    It’s one of the reasons that I rarely go to the cinema. Best screenings are the silver haired screenings at odd afternoon times that are generally cheaper and not filled with annoying little shits. The audience don’t want popcorn getting stuck under their plate and have respect enough to keep quiet.
    Funnily enough some of the worst experiences in a cinema I've had have been at the Regent Centre in God's waiting room aka Christchurch. It is like a social occasion for pensioners  (...which it is I know) who are treated to a night out by their family or with their bowls club or whatever and use it as an opportunity to catch up on how the grandkids are getting on at ballet class, whether Joan has bought that knitting pattern back yet or whether Clive's got a date for his appointment for the proctologist? 

It genuinely took me back to the old Saturday morning pictures days, it was that noisy. And it goes on right through from the trailers to the end.

I can't remember which film it was in particular but it had one of those timelines that jumps about backwards and forwards. That seemed to completely throw some of the audience who couldn't get their heads around it*. So we had the, "...but I thought he was dead?" type of comment followed by a group discussion of what was going on alongside who was who. All conducted at full volume.

Tbh it as been so bad there my wife enjoys my discomfort and inner fury at the behaviour of some of our fellow cinema goers more than some of the films we've seen.

*my old man's a bugger for this also and my mum deserves a medal for deconstructing every plot line of anything more complicated than Paddington for him.