Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    why a movie on Elton John but not David Bowie?  Or was there one that I missed?  No disrespect but Bowie is a far more influential music artist
    Who on earth (!) could play David Bowie. 
    Another alien?
  • Options
    Yesterday. Had a say off so popped to the everyman on my lonesome. Hardly anyone there, do had a good lie down on the sofa. Bit cheesy in a Richard Curtis way, bit the music was of course ace. Really enjoyed it! First time I've liked Ed Sheeran. Basic premise is that there was a power cut globally and the Beatles, amongst other things, ceased to exist. The main character however had just been hit by a bus and knew all their songs, so became big off the back of singing them. Basic love story ensues. Recommend it.
  • Options
    Agree with the above. I blub at almost every movie these days, and this one broke records. Something to do with ageing and the music of your youth maybe.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Yesterday. Had a say off so popped to the everyman on my lonesome. Hardly anyone there, do had a good lie down on the sofa. Bit cheesy in a Richard Curtis way, bit the music was of course ace. Really enjoyed it! First time I've liked Ed Sheeran. Basic premise is that there was a power cut globally and the Beatles, amongst other things, ceased to exist. The main character however had just been hit by a bus and knew all their songs, so became big off the back of singing them. Basic love story ensues. Recommend it.
    Saw it with my daughter - more enjoyable than I expected. An easy watch.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Agree with the above. I blub at almost every movie these days, and this one broke records. Something to do with ageing and the music of your youth maybe.
    Not a film seen at the cinema but a 4 part series on Netflix that we caught up with the other evening : When they see us.

I THINK this has been mentioned on the TV series thread & although harrowing & very disturbing is to be recommended.

However, I was a total wreck for the last 30 minutes or so of the final part and couldn't stop crying for some while after it had finished. 

Very thought provoking indeed and worth noting the TV appearance of one Mr D Trump who called for the execution of the 5 innocent lads involved in the story..... 
  • Options
    Fighting with my family 7/10

Nick Frost I love, he does what he does best in this. The story is a true enough one, I can't pretend to know a massive amount about wrestling but the film isn't really about that it's about loneliness, disappointment, weird families, anger and it's relatively formulaic but slickly done. 

I enjoyed it, my wife enjoyed it. It isn't going to win any awards but it was a good, easy, fairly touching watch 
  • Options
    Wanted to see "In Fabric" but only showing in Surrey is Richmond 6.15 August 1st. Bizarre. US ownership of distribution rights.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Pleasant but not brilliant. Might have been better if they didn’t follow the romcom formula but, having paid $10mill for rights to use the songs, I guess they have to get folk to the cinema.
  • Options
    Spider-man Far From Home
    Enjoyable watch, pretty lightweight and a plot that's easy enough to follow and the odd bit of comedy.  7/10

Midsommar
    Another horror film from the director that made Hereditary. Set around a pagan festival performed within an obscure Swedish cult. Truly bizarre film that veers from comedy to violent rituals and whether you like it or not you won't forget it.
    Florence Pugh is excellent in the lead role. 7/10
  • Options
    Juliet, Naked 1/10

God only knows how they got a pretty decent cast together for this. All of whom act ok but their characters are without redemption. It's meant to be a romantic comedy but I just found it depressing. The trailer makes the film look funny, it has an interesting concept but the story is horrible and lurches all over the place. Don't waste your time on this tripe 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lion King
    Clever animation but ultimately a bit of a pointless remake. 5/10
  • Options
    Wanted to see 'In Fabric' but seems to be on very limited release.
  • Options
    Fisherman's Friends 7/10

Based on a true story about some seafaring warbling cornishmen selling a stack of records a few years ago. Good cast, Daniel Mays is always good but I thought he was really robotic in this, some funny moments and it's a good family film with some eye watering scenes done very well. 

A lot of the dialogue was clunky but the intentions were good, in fact some of the actors I thought were deliberately being a bit hammy. Dave Johns who stole the show in I, Daniel Blake was solid again, James Purefoy I thought minced his way through until the very emotional bits towards the end when he acted very well. Tuppence Middleton is the love interest and she is good, her daughter acted her off the screen anytime they shared it though

Noel Clarkes american accent is hilarious, his mates play city boy wankers very well. I give this a 7 put of ten because it didn't do anything wrong for the type of film it is and it had some moments that made me laugh and I was interested the whole way through and it had a start, middle and end. 

You wont be disappointed with this neither will you be blown away and it's worth a watch 
  • Options
    Saw saw Toy Story 4 today. Enjoyed it but not quite up to the standard of the earlier films.

My 10 year old absolutely loved it though which I suppose is what it’s all about.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Fisherman's Friends 7/10

Based on a true story about some seafaring warbling cornishmen selling a stack of records a few years ago. Good cast, Daniel Mays is always good but I thought he was really robotic in this, some funny moments and it's a good family film with some eye watering scenes done very well. 

A lot of the dialogue was clunky but the intentions were good, in fact some of the actors I thought were deliberately being a bit hammy. Dave Johns who stole the show in I, Daniel Blake was solid again, James Purefoy I thought minced his way through until the very emotional bits towards the end when he acted very well. Tuppence Middleton is the love interest and she is good, her daughter acted her off the screen anytime they shared it though

Noel Clarkes american accent is hilarious, his mates play city boy wankers very well. I give this a 7 put of ten because it didn't do anything wrong for the type of film it is and it had some moments that made me laugh and I was interested the whole way through and it had a start, middle and end. 

You wont be disappointed with this neither will you be blown away and it's worth a watch 
    Agree with that, but the music pushed my rating up to 8/10
  • Options
    Hoped to dig out a good film recommendation for my wedding anniversary (wife hates horror/kiddie stuff and I'm now averse to Marvel stuff. Surely there must be something better than Yesterday!
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Juliet, Naked 1/10

God only knows how they got a pretty decent cast together for this. All of whom act ok but their characters are without redemption. It's meant to be a romantic comedy but I just found it depressing. The trailer makes the film look funny, it has an interesting concept but the story is horrible and lurches all over the place. Don't waste your time on this tripe 
    I quite enjoyed the book.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Juliet, Naked 1/10

I quite enjoyed the book.
    I bet the book was decent too, like I say, the premise is pretty good but the execution on screen was horrible 
  • Options
    Saw "Once upon a time in Hollywood" tonight. The performances were decent enough, but i thought it was overlong and took a long time to get anywhere. Can't say it did a lot for me - 5/10
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Saw "Once upon a time in Hollywood" tonight. The performances were decent enough, but i thought it was overlong and took a long time to get anywhere. Can't say it did a lot for me - 5/10
    I thought about seeing it tonight, the Times gave it a good review and in particular Brad Pitt?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brad Pitt was good as was DiCaprio. I just thought it was too long and for the most part rather dull, but I know a lot of people don't agree with me.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Brad Pitt was good as was DiCaprio. I just thought it was too long and for the most part rather dull, but I know a lot of people don't agree with me.
    I’ve not seen it yet, probably will tomorrow. But on the subject of Tarantino runtimes, the way I see it, you only get one every five years or so. And when they come along I take as much as I can get. And you know with QT films, they’re going to be long! 

• Options
    Saw it today. Was typical Tarantino. Very long, seemingly going nowhere, but redeemed by a fantastic finale. Possible Oscar noms for either Lio or Brad, possibly both imo. I'd give it 8/10
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    I really enjoyed it and thought the two leads were really good especially DiCaprio. Didn't find it too long and thought it captured the atmosphere of the time really well.

Found the depiction of violence at the end excessive but it's par for the course with his films.

8/10
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    I really enjoyed it and thought the two leads were really good especially DiCaprio. Didn't find it too long and thought it captured the atmosphere of the time really well.

Found the depiction of violence at the end excessive but it's par for the course with his films.

8/10
    Good, I’m off to see it tonight.
  • Options
    philcafc said:

8/10
    Good, I’m off to see it tonight.
    What ? We're home to Forest tonight.
  • Options
    The Siege of Jadotville, based on a true story, a 1960's Zulu film on Netflicks.
  • Options
    Long Shot 9/10

Seth Rogan and Charlize Theron smash it. This is a genuinely funny film with a lot of giggles throughout and some outright belly laughs. 

The film gets going pretty quickly and like with a lot of films Seth Rogan is involved in there is plenty of relevant and current bits of dialogue a lot of which feels adlibbed and Charlize Theron has impeccable comedic timing. Some good support and Andy Serkis is even hidden in there too.

I thoroughly recommend this film for a proper laugh
  • Options
    Seen a bunch lately...

Little Monsters
    Aussie zombie comedy that’s rather likeable. A solid movie without ever really making me laugh out loud (although others laughed more than me) and with plenty of F and C words and fair bit of gore (they oddly shy away from really going for it though). 3/5

Honeyland 
    I don’t even know where to start. So I won’t.  If anyone’s seen this then I’d be keen to discuss. ?/5

Rambo
    Competently made but rather than cash in the chips of four previous films and use Rambo’s past to build a finale, Sly sticks to his tried and tested formula of using a recent death to motivate a character. It really is a paper-thin plot, and if you just want to see Rambo killing people in increasingly nasty ways then that's cool. Nowhere near as good as the last one, or indeed the original. A wasted opportunity to end the franchise on a high. 2/6

Driven
    The story of John Delorean's demise. A bit like American Made. Funny enough, entertaining enough with a couple of excellent performances, but it never really engrosses. It's just a mildly interesting story that's fairly well told with a comic edge. I'd prefer to watch that odd documentary again to be honest, where Alec Baldwin plays Delorean in dramatised scenes, then talks to the camera about what he thinks of John Delorean. 4/7

• Options
    Finally got round to seeing IT2. Quite enjoyed it. Scarier than the first, still got a daft ending