Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• LAST CHRISTMAS

Took my daughter to see this. Hard to put into words how bad this film is - terrible script which drowns in cliches. 1.5/10
  • Whiplash is in my top three of all time. It does more in a single nod than Marvel can do with a hundred buildings falling over.
  • LAST CHRISTMAS

Took my daughter to see this. Hard to put into words how bad this film is - terrible script which drowns in cliches. 1.5/10
    Wow, 1.5/10, that is really bad. I saw the trailer on George Michael's YouTube channel and thought it would be another cliche film. But surprised it is THAT bad😂
  • (some spoilers )

The King
    I was tempted by this when the ads started before I watche Annihilation, and despite the fairly average reviews above, I ploughed ahead. I read quite a lot of history lately, but I haven't touched the period around Henry V, so while there may have been things that were inaccuarate, they neber crossed with my enjoyment. I really enjoyed it, and it even had a surprise in the tail which I enjoyed. The dialogue was okay, it felt nicely paced and I liked the casy, especially the King. Personally I would recommend this.
    8/10

Mary Queen of Scots
    I wanted to catch this at the cinema, but I was reduced to watching it on cable before the res of the family woke up and talked over it. Agai, I found this a very good watch, and liked the two femaile leads a lot. They skipped almost the entire period of Mary's imprisonment in England which may have been relevant, and there was a very moving but I think, inexistant meeting between the two Queens, which while I liked, I thought never happened. But the rest of the film, like the one above, was well acted, well cast and enjoyable to watch.
    8/10
  • (some spoilers )

The King
    I was tempted by this when the ads started before I watche Annihilation, and despite the fairly average reviews above, I ploughed ahead. I read quite a lot of history lately, but I haven't touched the period around Henry V, so while there may have been things that were inaccuarate, they neber crossed with my enjoyment. I really enjoyed it, and it even had a surprise in the tail which I enjoyed. The dialogue was okay, it felt nicely paced and I liked the casy, especially the King. Personally I would recommend this.
    8/10

Mary Queen of Scots
    I wanted to catch this at the cinema, but I was reduced to watching it on cable before the res of the family woke up and talked over it. Agai, I found this a very good watch, and liked the two femaile leads a lot. They skipped almost the entire period of Mary's imprisonment in England which may have been relevant, and there was a very moving but I think, inexistant meeting between the two Queens, which while I liked, I thought never happened. But the rest of the film, like the one above, was well acted, well cast and enjoyable to watch.
    8/10
    I gave both of these films an 8 as well. Enjoyed them both.
  • LAST CHRISTMAS

Saw it last night, I quite enjoyed it, yes it’s not an epic of our times, it’s a corny feel good Xmas film, just enjoy for what it is IMO 
  • DA9 said:
    LAST CHRISTMAS

Saw it last night, I quite enjoyed it, yes it’s not an epic of our times, it’s a corny feel good Xmas film, just enjoy for what it is IMO 
    I wasn't expecting much of it but boy was it poor in my opinion. The script was weak and most of the characters one dimensional - tried to copy Richard Curtis but failed miserably. It didn't make me feel good.
  • Just back from seeing a Picturehouse Mystery Movie (ie you get in for a fiver and take your chances on what you see, though it'll be a forthcoming release).

Tonight's was Knives Out (no spoilers follow, but do try to avoid them). A sort of souped-up whodunnit that apparently has all the ingredients of an old fashioned crime solving film. But add to that a twisty plot, lots of laugh out loud moments, a very good cast including Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, Jamie Lee Curtis and others, and it was a film I really enjoyed. Moderate expectations often result in a more enjoyable experience, and tonight's was a properly entertaining film which buzzed along.

A good 8.5/10, and very highly recommended.

• Lion King- 7.5/10, maybe a tad harsh but as they are only following the original I cant really mark it that high. Worth a watch, animation is good. Only thing which left me disappointed as they missed of one bit I enjoy when the hyena went into the thorn bush early doors. Still decent and exactly what you would expect really, if no original obviously it would probably be a lot higher.
  • IdleHans said:
    Just back from seeing a Picturehouse Mystery Movie (ie you get in for a fiver and take your chances on what you see, though it'll be a forthcoming release).

Tonight's was Knives Out (no spoilers follow, but do try to avoid them). A sort of souped-up whodunnit that apparently has all the ingredients of an old fashioned crime solving film. But add to that a twisty plot, lots of laugh out loud moments, a very good cast including Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, Jamie Lee Curtis and others, and it was a film I really enjoyed. Moderate expectations often result in a more enjoyable experience, and tonight's was a properly entertaining film which buzzed along.

A good 8.5/10, and very highly recommended.

Saw the trailer for this at the weekend, looks good, on the list, but the one I really want to see is Jojo Rabbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxJt02r91L4

• Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:
    Saw The Irishman on Sunday - pretty much what you would expect from a Scorcese film with De Niro, Pesci, and Al Pacino, quality acting and a good storyline but the 3.5hr playtime was definitely indulgent, could've cut half hour/hour easy which would've made the middle portion a bit sharper. Last 30/45 mins were particularly good.

Worth noting that my GF managed to stay awake throughout AND enjoyed it and paid attention (rare!), although I think it helped that we watched it in the cinema, if we'd watched it on Netflix at home she probably would've got distracted in the middle portion so I think it was better to see it in the 'big screen' setting. 
    When is it on general release? 
    On Netflix at end of month 

Its on Netflix now. Will give it a go this week,3 and a half hrs is long though.
  • stonemuse said:
    Saw The Irishman on Sunday - pretty much what you would expect from a Scorcese film with De Niro, Pesci, and Al Pacino, quality acting and a good storyline but the 3.5hr playtime was definitely indulgent, could've cut half hour/hour easy which would've made the middle portion a bit sharper. Last 30/45 mins were particularly good.

Worth noting that my GF managed to stay awake throughout AND enjoyed it and paid attention (rare!), although I think it helped that we watched it in the cinema, if we'd watched it on Netflix at home she probably would've got distracted in the middle portion so I think it was better to see it in the 'big screen' setting. 

Its on Netflix now. Will give it a go this week,3 and a half hrs is long though.
    Great to know. I'll watch it this weekend then.

Watched about twenty minutes of Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last Saturday and simply couldn't get into it. I can't be the only one on here that found it extremely boring?😅 
  • Saw Frozen 2 with my daughter last night. Fairly decent film (she loved it) although probably won't have the impact of the first one. Was a bit darker than the original and one or two references thrown in that only adults would understand.

A few good songs but no showstoppers.

• Jessie said:
    stonemuse said:

Watched about twenty minutes of Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last Saturday and simply couldn't get into it. I can't be the only one on here that found it extremely boring?😅 
    I adored it . It’s my movie of 2019 closely followed by The Irishman and Joker .
  • The latest version of Little Women is out on Boxing Day & has great reviews. 

Our eldest grand daughter's favourite book so looking forward to taking her to this one.
  • Watched The Irishman on Netflix and loved it. I was finally getting used to the 'de-aging' effects until Pacino's first scene as the young Jimmy Hoffa, when it looked like we were watching PS3 game footage.
  • Jessie said:
    stonemuse said:

I adored it . It’s my movie of 2019 closely followed by The Irishman and Joker .
    Yes I know a lot of people on here loved it. I'm definitely in minority.
  • Just watched ‘Awake’ on Netflix. Up there with one of the worst films I’ve seen. So many plot holes and even worse acting. 
  • edited December 2019
    HARRIET
    Film about slavery abolitionist Harriet Tubman - interesting piece of history. Film is okay and British actress Cynthia Erivo is outstanding in title role. 7.5/10 
  • Just watched ‘Awake’ on Netflix. Up there with one of the worst films I’ve seen. So many plot holes and even worse acting. 
    Mind if I ask how you came to choose that film? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw Le Mans '66 the other day and really enjoyed it.  It's kind of a throwback to old school film making in style and content.  A straightforward bromance with lots of practical stunt driving rather than plasticky CGI.  It didn't take too many historical liberties, though I think the Ford executive portrayed as a pantomime villain was nothing of the sort in real life.   

Would give it a podium finish out of 10!
  • hawksmoor said:
    Watched The Irishman on Netflix and loved it. I was finally getting used to the 'de-aging' effects until Pacino's first scene as the young Jimmy Hoffa, when it looked like we were watching PS3 game footage.

Watched The Irishman at the weekend. Very good
  • edited December 2019

Saw Frozen 2 with my daughter last night. Fairly decent film (she loved it) although probably won't have the impact of the first one. Was a bit darker than the original and one or two references thrown in that only adults would understand.

It will do, the kids will lap it up. Frozen 3 in a couple of years! Weakens the first film, which was excellent, but it is all about the dosh isn't it?
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Just watched ‘Awake’ on Netflix. Up there with one of the worst films I’ve seen. So many plot holes and even worse acting. 
    Mind if I ask how you came to choose that film? 
    My missus has a lot to answer for when it comes to fill choice.

I usually don't mind Jonathon Rhys Myers (Loved The Tudors) and it said 'Thriller' so i gave her the benefit of the doubt. 

She fell asleep after 25 minutes.
    I interviewed him a little while ago. He was in a furious mood cos he’d had a plane rage incident the day before, and interviewers were told not to mention it. But the people before me - The Daily Mail - did, naturally, so he lost his shit and I was asked to try and be upbeat and cheer him up. It was a tricky one. 

I had to film and ask the questions, so I brought a friend along and told him to make sure that the camera was all okay during the interview. I asked the right sort of questions and that helped him not be a total misery. We talked for about 20 minutes, it went pretty well all things considered.  

So I take the mics off, go over to the camera and... it wasn't recording. My mate hadn't done the one thing he was supposed to do. The feeling that occurred in the pit of my stomach at that moment... wow. That was a horrible memory, I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to share it. But I've typed this now and I'm not wasting the last six minutes. 

Ouch :( That's proper unlucky/annoying! Top friend lol
  • Missed It said:
    Saw Le Mans '66 the other day and really enjoyed it.  It's kind of a throwback to old school film making in style and content.  A straightforward bromance with lots of practical stunt driving rather than plasticky CGI.  It didn't take too many historical liberties, though I think the Ford executive portrayed as a pantomime villain was nothing of the sort in real life.   

Would give it a podium finish out of 10!
    Very enjoyable film - far better than I expected. Matt Damon and Christian Bale both very good in the main roles.
  • Saw Frozen 2 with my daughter last night. Fairly decent film (she loved it) although probably won't have the impact of the first one. Was a bit darker than the original and one or two references thrown in that only adults would understand.

Pretty much my mrs' opinion to the letter. I suppose my girls were younger when the first one came out, but seems that Harry potter won't be dragged out the DVD player just yet
  • I can’t remember what film Christopher Plummer made his comeback but he now seems to be in everything.
  • I fancied an easy to watch Christmas film this afternoon so stuck Klaus on, it’s on Netflix and I hadn’t seen it advertised anywhere. I thought the animation was stunningly beautiful and the storyline decent too. 

I’d definitely recommending sticking it on, especially if you’ve got kids. It has a little bit of everything.