Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Things you only learned late in life

edited September 2009 in Not Sports Related
As a kid I never made anything that was shown on Blue Peter as I didnt have 'sticky back plastic'.
It was only a few months ago (in my late 30's) that I found out that this was actually Sellotape but they were not allowed to call it that as it was a brand name. Seems obvious now, but until someone mentioned it I had it was some special type of sticky tape.

Comments

• why not adhesive tape ? I thought sticky back plastic was a decorative sheet material with a peel off coat revealing the sticky side. I could be wrong.
  • I only recently understood the joke about two nuns in the bath (one says where's the soap and the other says, yes it does doesn't it)

Always used to laugh and think "what the f*ck is the joke" I eventually asked someone a couple of months ago.
  • I always assumed it was the double sided variety
  • Girls actually aren't that impressed by the ability to run fast.
  • my wife has loads normally song lyrics/titles, that latest being "Come on Irene...."
  • There were two nuns in the bath and one says, "where's the sticky back plastic" ....
  • "Carpet-Baggers" was only explained to me resently: Been laughing at the jokes for years....
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]As a kid I never made anything that was shown on Blue Peter as I didnt have 'sticky back plastic'.
    It was only a few months ago (in my late 30's) that I found out that this was actually Sellotape but they were not allowed to call it that as it was a brand name. Seems obvious now, but until someone mentioned it I had it was some special type of sticky tape.
    I thought it was some sort of special double sided sellotape, motherfuckers...
  • There is double sided tape and single sided tape AND what SHG said. All different things.

I finally learnt how to remember which comes first the X or Y axis about 6 months ago when my son explained that he was taught "along the corridor then up the stairs"
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]I only recently understood the joke about two nuns in the bath (one says where's the soap and the other says, yes it does doesn't it)

Always used to laugh and think "what the f*ck is the joke" I eventually asked someone a couple of months ago.

Could you explain it then as i don't get it!
  • Sponsored links:

• derr, X is a cross... geddit
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]I only recently understood the joke about two nuns in the bath (one says where's the soap and the other says, yes it does doesn't it)

'Wears' the soap.

Henry, the x,y axis is the same system as map reading, simples! The next 2 letters are Z and T.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]derr, X is a cross... geddit

yes thanks but as the thread is about things you only learnt late in life...
  • Snap!. You would have thought they could have let us know it was 'transparent sticky tape'.......

Perhaps we should consider a class action against Blue Peter for depriving us of our human rights and hurt feelings......

I would settle for a bout half a million personally.

Do they still use toilet rolls! and margarine tubs! Does anyone still eat margarine!.

Biddy Baxter has a lot to answer for
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]I only recently understood the joke about two nuns in the bath (one says where's the soap and the other says, yes it does doesn't it)

'Wears' the soap.
    Still don't get it!
  • No one is going to fall for that and explain it to you.

Or you have lead very sheltered lives in which case you would be too shocked and disgusted if I told you.
  • Just done some googling. That is a rubbish "joke".
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]

'Wears' the soap.
    Still don't get it!
    Ditto
  • "My wife went to the West Indies"

"Jamaica?"

"No, she went of her own accord"

Now that is a rubbish, but classic, joke I bit like the nun and the soap
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]There is double sided tape and single sided tape AND what SHG said. All different things.

I finally learnt how to remember which comes first the X or Y axis about 6 months ago when my son explained that he was taught "along the corridor then up the stairs"

You want to try 5 axis. That gets the brain functioning
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

'Wears' the soap.
    Still don't get it!

one is asking 'where's the soap?', the other says 'it does doesn't it' (wear the soap that is) as she is using it to pleasure herself.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]derr, X is a cross... geddit

did you say you work in Finance?

;)
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]derr, X is a cross... geddit

did you say you work in Finance?

;)

Thankfully no.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

'Wears' the soap.
    Still don't get it!

one is asking 'where's the soap?', the other says 'it does doesn't it' (wear the soap that is) as she is using it to pleasure herself.

ha ha ha ha i get it excellent
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]There is double sided tape and single sided tape AND what SHG said. All different things.

You want to try 5 axis. That gets the brain functioning
    Especially when you're using the complex plane, ow che wah wah!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]"My wife went to the West Indies"

"Jamaica?"

2 Birds on a perch

One says, 'Can you smell fish?'

Jokes like that are never funny.
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]"My wife went to the West Indies"

"Jamaica?"

2 Birds on a perch

One says, 'Can you smell fish?'

Jokes like that are never funny.

made me larf
  • Millwall fan goes into the bakers shop asks for loaf of bread.

"brown or white?" says the Baker.

"Doesn't matter, I've got my bike outside" replies the spanner.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]"My wife went to the West Indies"

"Jamaica?"

Took my wife to Indonesia
    jakarta ?
    No went by plane.
  • I've learned that some people on this site are a little bit slow ;-)